Friday, February 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7475, 2017-02-24

2017 College Championship final game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Viraj Mehta, a junior at Stanford University from Austin, Texas (subtotal of $8,482)
Gary Tse, a freshman at the United States Naval Academy from Ellicott City, Maryland (subtotal of $24,945)
Lilly Chin, a senior at MIT from Decatur, Georgia (subtotal of $20,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Ladies and gentlemen, you'll recall that I began yesterday's program by showing you the College Championship trophy. It's big, it's impressive, and it's very, very heavy. So it stays here at our Jeopardy! studios. It will be engraved with the name and school of this year's champion. The champion will get to go home with this smaller replica. The champion will also qualify for our Tournament of Champions later on, and will receive $100,000 in cash. All right. You see the totals in front of the three players. We're gonna take them down to zero now. These totals will be added to whatever the players accumulate in today's round. Remember, this is a 2-day, total-point affair. Here are the categories for the first round today. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE 1970s (4/4)
ECOLOGY (5/5)
I'M A FOOD "E" (4/5)
WORDS OF THE YEAR (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Selected for 2016 by various dictionaries.)
USA! USA! (5/5)
OLYMPIANS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gary: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Lilly: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Viraj: 8 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lilly found the Daily Double on the 1st clue. Lilly had no money, Gary was scoreless, and Viraj had nothing in the bank. Lilly wagered $1,000.

WORDS OF THE YEAR $600: dictionary.com:
Xenophobia, meaning "fear of" these

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lilly: $3,000
Gary: $2,800
Viraj: $2,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: As is our custom in championships, on the second day of the finals, we allow the contestants to talk about anything they want to talk about. Viraj, off.

Viraj: First, I want to give a shoutout out to my mom, dad, Ravij, Sarita, and all the people in West Flo at Stanford; and again, say thank you to everybody for, like, this amazing experience. This is awesome.

Alex: Who's worked with you to prepare you for this tournament, if anyone at all?

Viraj: Oh, my mom, my dog Wally, my friend Sarah, and, uh, my friend Elliot.

Alex: I won't ask what help your dog Wally was.

[Laughter]

Viraj: Interference.

Alex: Interfer--he ran interference for you. All right.

Alex: Gary Tse, what about you?

Gary: Hi, um, I'm probably--I'd have to thank my mom, first and foremost; and my roommates of the past and present: Brandon McKay, Zach Williams, Jeremy Griffiths, and Anthony Masadia, as well as my upperclass mentor Chris Carter.

Alex: Now, you were on a trivia team, also. You were a member of a team at one time?

Gary: Uh, I did quiz bowl in high school.

Alex: Quiz bowl in high school. Now, uh, were you the best player in your group?

Gary: Uh, I think I was a solid generalist, but in terms of putting up points, it was pretty well-balanced.

Alex: Yeah. Good. If you're a generalist, you're likely to do well as a contestant on Jeopardy!, as you well know.

Alex: Lilly Chin, what about you?

Lilly: Uh, I'd like to make a shoutout to my favorite places at MIT, which are, uh, East Campus Tetazoo, Random Hall Destiny, and Random Hall Clam, so...

Alex: What's special about those places?

Lilly: So, they are floors in dorms in MIT, and MIT's different in that, instead of randomly getting selected into places, you choose where you want to live.

Alex: Now, they knew you were coming here to be a contestant in the College Championship?

Lilly: Yeah, they did. They, uh--

Alex: And what was the best bit of advice anyone gave you?

Lilly: Stay clam, yep.

[Laughter]

Alex: "Stay clam"?

Lilly: Stay clam.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OLYMPIANS $800: On the final shot of a round at Rio 2016, Kim Woo-jin hit the innermost gold circle to set a world record in this sport
(Viraj: What is shooting?)

WORDS OF THE YEAR $800: Collins Dictionary:
This word with a useful suffix to indicate leaving

I'M A FOOD "E" $800: The hole truth is it's another name for Swiss cheese

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Gary: $6,600
Lilly: $4,000
Viraj: $3,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SNAP CHAT (5/5)
AMERICAN LIT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORD ORIGINS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
COINS FROM EVERYWHERE (4/5)
THE TV SHOW'S CHARACTERS (1/5)
OLYMPIANS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lilly: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Gary: 3 R, 1 W
Viraj: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Viraj snagged the next Daily Double on the 1st clue. Lilly had $4,000, Gary had $6,600, and Viraj was at $3,800. Viraj made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,800.

WORD ORIGINS $1600: For sore muscles use a whirlpool bath to get some relief through this, from the Greek for "water" & "healing"
(Viraj: What is aqua--aquatherapy?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lilly who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Lilly had $12,000, Gary had $6,600, and Viraj was at $3,600. Lilly wagered $4,000.

AMERICAN LIT $1200: "When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd" conveyed this poet's grief over the death of President Lincoln

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE TV SHOW'S CHARACTERS $2000: Rebecca Bunch,
Paula Proctor &
Darryl Whitefeather...
sing out now!
(Viraj: What is Glee?)

COINS FROM EVERYWHERE $1600: Until 1971 a bob in London wasn't just a nickname but this, part of a pound

AMERICAN LIT $2000: For this woman seen here, "One Writer's Beginnings" was in 1909 in Jackson, Mississippi
(Gary: Who is O'Connor?)
(Viraj: Who's Harper Lee?)

THE TV SHOW'S CHARACTERS $1200: Annalise Keating,
Wes Gibbins &
Laurel Castillo,
navigating the law

WORD ORIGINS $800: We bet Ken Jennings celebrates Jan. 4, the national day for this, from the Latin for "the place where 3 roads meet"
(Gary: Oh.)
(Lilly: Oh.)

THE TV SHOW'S CHARACTERS $800: Rainbow,
Andre &
Jack Johnson,
finding their way comedically on ABC

THE TV SHOW'S CHARACTERS $400: Red Reznikov,
Big Boo &
Flaca Gonzales,
in close quarters

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lilly: $20,400 (lock tournament)
Gary: $6,600
Viraj: $3,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
17th CENTURY GERMANS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Lilly: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Gary: Wager $601 to cover Viraj.
Viraj: You have the hope of surpassing Gary for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $2,400 and $3,598.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Astronomer who began his epitaph, "I used to measure the heavens, now I shall measure the shadows of Earth"

FINAL SCORES
Viraj: $3,600 - $3,600 = $0 = $8,482 cumulative (Who is Copernicus?) (2nd runner-up)
Gary: $6,600 + $4 = $6,604 = $31,549 cumulative (Who is Kepler?) (1st runner-up)
Lilly: $20,400 + $0 = $20,400 = $40,800 cumulative (Who is the spiciest memelord?) (Tournament champion)
(Alex: You're the champion. Come on over here, Lilly. Here is your College Championship trophy for 2017. Congratulations, young lady.)
(Lilly: Thank you.)
(Alex: You played brilliantly. And, fellas, you lost to a great one.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lilly: $17,200, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Viraj: $7,400, 14 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Gary: $6,600, 13 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $31,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Lilly: 22/60 = .367
Gary: 14/58 = .241
Viraj: 14/59 = .237
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
USA! USA! $800: That's a Zia sun on the flag of this state

THE 1970s $600: Japan gave the world the Sony Walkman & this 1974 Sanrio cartoon creation
(Lilly: Who is Astro Boy?)

ECOLOGY $1000: Fallen branches from these trees are key to nourishing marine ecosystems

I'M A FOOD "E" $1000: For an appetizer, steam these green soybeans & top them with salt

I'M A FOOD "E" $600: They're the Spanish-named meat pies seen here

ECOLOGY $400: Of insectivores, herbivores or carnivores, the group whose food source is most likely to live to be fed on again
(Alex: Correct, with less than a minute to go.)

OLYMPIANS $200: At Rio 2016, he blamed his glacial time of 9.81 secs. in the 100m on the short rest period between the semifinal & final
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

COINS FROM EVERYWHERE $2000: Helvetia, the female personification of this nation, is depicted on its money

COINS FROM EVERYWHERE $1200: You're looking at one side of a $1 coin; this monarch is on the other side

SNAP CHAT $1600: You'll need some of the aromatic spice in their name to make a batch of these treats

WORD ORIGINS $1200: Take to the river in this, from Eskimo meaning "boat of skins"
(Viraj: What's a canoe?)

SNAP CHAT $1200: On a football team the person in this position, abbreviated L.S., does a lot of hiking
(Lilly: What's a line starter?)

COINS FROM EVERYWHERE $400: The Lydian Lion from 600 B.C. was made from electrum, an alloy of mainly these 2 precious metals

CORRECT RESPONSES
foreigners (or strangers)
archery
Brexit
Emmentaler
hydrotherapy
Whitman
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
a shilling
Eudora Welty
How to Get Away with Murder
trivia
black-ish
Orange Is the New Black
Johannes Kepler
New Mexico
Hello Kitty
mangroves
edamame
empanadas
herbivores
(Usain) Bolt
Switzerland
Queen Elizabeth
gingersnaps
a kayak
a long snapper
gold & silver
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
17Th CENTURY GERMANS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Astronomer who began his epitaph, “I used to measure the heavens, now I shall measure the shadows of earth”

Lilly Chin: 20400-0=20400 = 40800 = $100,000
Gary Tse: 6600+4=6604 = 31549 = $50,000
Viraj Mehta: 3600-3600=0 = 8482 = $25,000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Johannes Kepler (Lilly – the spiciest memelord) (Viraj – Copernicus)

Daily Doubles
Lilly: 0+1000
Viraj: 3800-3800
Lilly: 12000+4000

Coryats
Lilly: 17200
Gary: 6600
Viraj: 7400

Combined: 31,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The link to see the game is in the Secret Bunker.

Lilly may play with a serious demeanor, but great by her to work in "Stay Clam" in the interview.

Hera as the wife of Zeus is $2000? Allrighty then.

If you are on J! you have to get the "trivia" clue with the bonus of a Ken Jennings mention. Come on, now.

The FJ! clue seemed like a no doubt gimme until Viraj went Polish. Lilly of course had the luxury to go for humor instead of going to the TOC with a perfect record in the FJ! round.

Back to regular play on Monday with Kirstin going for the all-important 4th win.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Code: Select all

Lilly: 20400 20400 40800 61200
Gary:  24945  6600 31545 38145
Viraj:  8482  3600 12082 15682
Lilly: Bet less than $2,655, and enjoy your victory.
Gary: You are locked by Lilly and have a superlock over Viraj. Bet what you want.
Viraj: You're superlocked into third place. Bet what you want.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What a great game! Lilly made it a runaway (by regular play standards) by the middle of the DJ round.

Has there ever been a finals tournament game with both rounds open with a DD?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anyone else notice that the CC indicated [warbling] whenever the DD sound effect was sounded? First time I've ever seen them do that.

Green Bay for Milwaukee. That seemed like a coinflip.

Olympians was ridiculously YEKIOYD.

Swiss Cheese has another name?!?

I drew a blank on Edamame even though my mom eats it all the time.

Baba ghanoush + purple = How the hell should I know?!

All but $400 and $1,200 in Coins. How should I know what electrum is made of? There are lots of precious metals.

NHO any of those shows in TV except Orange Is the New Black.

Lach Trash: Shilling, trivia.

And I finish the college tourney 0/10. Not surprising. The name Kepler rings absolutely no bells.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Well, that was rather anticlimactic. Gary just couldn't seem to get anything going. If he had only stayed clam on some of those, he would have at least had a shot at forcing Lilly to get FJ correct.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Hail to Lilly, the spiciest memelord! Kudos to all 3 finalists and to all 15 contestants for making this an exciting, well fought tournament. Wow.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I drew a blank on Edamame even though my mom eats it all the time.
And you eat Edasone to keep her company?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,400
43 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: archery, Emmentaler, hydrotherapy (DD), shilling, trivia

Lilly was a killer from start to finish. Congratulations on a dominating performance and on STAYING CLAM.
Sprinkles are for winners.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

Haha, great answer from Lilly. Is it possible she knew the answer? I assume that anyone who knew the FJ answer would have written it down and then written any jokes below it even when the answer is meaningless.

I thought of Kepler almost immediately and then spent a long time wondering if he really was German. I guess it's hard to define at a time when there was no country called Germany but I thought of him as being Austrian. It might come down to whether you define "German" as a nationality or a more of an ethnicity or a culture associated with a shared language.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

mcsheffrey wrote:I thought of Kepler almost immediately and then spent a long time wondering if he really was German. I guess it's hard to define at a time when there was no country called Germany but I thought of him as being Austrian. It might come down to whether you define "German" as a nationality or a more of an ethnicity or a culture associated with a shared language.
In the 17th century, to be German definitely meant the latter.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I precalled this on the grounds of "Who else could it be?" Except maybe Bach, but I was pretty sure that he lived most his life in the early eighteenth century. Other possibilities such as scholar Athanasius Kircher or general Albrecht von Wallenstein would be very improbable for a general-interest English-language quiz show.
mcsheffrey wrote:Haha, great answer from Lilly. Is it possible she knew the answer? I assume that anyone who knew the FJ answer would have written it down and then written any jokes below it even when the answer is meaningless.
Alex Jacob wrote a joke response several times when he bet $0 in a runaway. I think we collectively assumed (and maybe he even confirmed?) that in most (if not all) cases he knew the correct answer.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

9021amyers wrote:In the 17th century, to be German definitely meant the latter.
Oh, absolutely. I'm just never sure if they are using the term in the modern sense or as it would be understood at the time they're referring to.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
mcsheffrey wrote:Haha, great answer from Lilly. Is it possible she knew the answer? I assume that anyone who knew the FJ answer would have written it down and then written any jokes below it even when the answer is meaningless.
Alex Jacob wrote a joke response several times when he bet $0 in a runaway. I think we collectively assumed (and maybe he even confirmed?) that in most (if not all) cases he knew the correct answer.
I'd be surprised if he confirmed it. I think it was all part of his poker player ethic that you don't show your hand unless you're forced to. Never give your opponents free information that they can use in deciding how to play against you.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Instagot FJ...17th century German astronomer? Absolute slam dunk, with or without astronomers being on my wheelhouse list.

Congratulations to Lilly! *glances up from behind her glasses and salutes*
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I thought of Kepler almost immediately and then spent a long time wondering if he really was German. I guess it's hard to define at a time when there was no country called Germany but I thought of him as being Austrian. It might come down to whether you define "German" as a nationality or a more of an ethnicity or a culture associated with a shared language.
I came up with Kepler by process of elimination, which is a good way of saying that I ran through all the astronomers I knew of that era, threw out the ones I knew were from non-German countries, and Kepler was left because I had nothing better. It was about the 22d second that I remember he had a Germanic first name, so I felt confident at that point.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

It seems like we've had far to many pronunciation discussions, but I'm sure Gary said "intro-vitro-fertilization" for IVF. I asked the missus what she heard and she agreed (and doesn't have my bias that it should be "in-vitro...".

I gave up scoring my own game. The jumping around, the quickness of the responses, and the weird mix of hard and easy clues just took the fun out of it, so I just enjoyed the game. I can't name "escargot" for "snails" if I lose track of the "E" category.

Lilly's 4K bet on the late DD was the stake in the heart although I mistakenly thought they could re-bet yesterday's winnings to force a FJ solve.

I did get the Johannes Kepler answer easy enough, because, well, Science.. I was slightly worried about Tycho Brahe and his gold nose however ;) . I didn't think they'd be that mean, even if he is German (I'm thinking not).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Ah, so that's what "woke" means.

As soon as I heard Lilly's interview, I was rooting hard against her for the first time all tournament. I hate East Campus. Also, while I can partially forgive living or even hanging out there, being so proud you shout it out on a Jeopardy interview over friends, family, etc is ludicrous. Naturally, as soon as I started hoping she lost, she destroys the Double Jeopardy board and locks up the championship.

Congratulations to her, regardless.

LT: archery, shilling, How to Get Away with Murder

FJ: Instaget and thus avoiding my first 0/5 since signing up here.