New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Ivoryface86 wrote:
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:I'm still waiting for this one:

THIS IS THE SHOW WHERE....
PEOPLE (meaning the magazine)
DETERMINE THE VALUE OF
THE QUESTIONS
IT'S TIME TO "PLAY"
THE PERCENTAGES

Comments, anyone?
What was the air date for this set of categories by any chance or at least the season #?
It wasn't. It's just made up.

And, as it turns out, I was off by a word in the spiel.

It's actually "the difficulty", not the value, of the questions. My error.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: How did you know the prizes were trips (to an undetermined destination) to begin with?
I thought that part of S18 was when the trips were shown after the first break and those were always the prizes for both 2nd and 3rd.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

kingskip wrote:Is someone going to archive Pannoni's games on dailymotion any time soon? I have them all saved to a hard drive and can put them on a DVD if anyone needs them that way.
I'd like to be able to, but last summer everything just came together to give me a bunch of free time to enter games. Things are a lot busier now at work and home, so I'm not sure when I'll get back to them.

I'll just be bold here, and make a request, if someone has the time. It would help to have a list of the games, from both animfan and Pannoni (and anyone else), that we still need to enter. It wasn't the smartest choice in the world to just grab whatever game had been most recently posted and do that one, because it means I can't be easily sure what is and isn't done. That would help me a great deal, and I might be able to put together a schedule to get some more of them entered, if time opens up. Additionally, could you mark which games are already in the archive as skeletons, and which need to be completely entered from the ground up.

As long as the games are still on Dailymotion, I won't need that DVD, but hold on to it, just in case, you know...
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

As of today (July 22, 2017), all of Pannoni's games have been fully archived.
Last edited by Jeff-thecdboy on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 45 times in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:Here are the games from Michael Pannoni's Dailymotion page (there's a section at the bottom of that page that says "Jeopardy! classics" in the playlists section, you'll find them there) that have not been archived yet:

***snip***
Thanks so much! And chronologically even. That list is more daunting than I thought it would be. But it gets more doable seeing them all written out like that, instead of having to try to find them.

I'll add that animfan1 has, since July, posted these unarchived games:

√December 5, 1986 [Entered as 1986-12-12; added note.]
December 8, 1986 (Already in the archive, with different players. Looks like a date issue to be addressed.) [Enter game as 1986-12-15; add note.]
December 9, 1986 [Enter game as 1986-12-16; add note.]
√December 12, 1986 (Frank Hughes game 3. The archive dates would place this on December 19, one week later.) [Entered as 1986-12-19.]
√December 15, 1986 (Frank Hughes game 4. The archive dates place this on December 22, one week later. Game already archived.)

The Frank Hughes/December 1986 airdate issue is discussed here. Those games' airdates will need to be double-checked/corrected.

There may be more before that, but I have to get back to work. I'll double-check further back later tonight. [Note: I went back to July. I think everything before that has already been entered.]

Jeff, as a reward for compiling the Pannoni list, please enjoy this doubly-appropriate Garbage Pail Kids card, from a game show-themed set that was released, I think, last year.
Attachments
JEFF-ARDEE-1A-2016-Topps-Garbage-Pail-Kids.jpg
JEFF-ARDEE-1A-2016-Topps-Garbage-Pail-Kids.jpg (37.34 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 11 times in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

And for the completists out there, all GPK cards come with alter egos, so here's the other one.
Attachments
FULL-WATT-WATSON-1B-2016-Garbage-Pail-Kids.jpg
FULL-WATT-WATSON-1B-2016-Garbage-Pail-Kids.jpg (42.8 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I suppose the 12-8-86 issue is related to the Hughes games being a week off.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

November 5, 2003 (only the intro is in so far)
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4676

So let's start at the bottom of the list. Stacie Court vs. Chuck Ladd vs. Sarah Robertson. This is one of the games from Ronnie's archive, as I discovered about 1/4 of the way in. It looks like there are still 3 of those games to be entered. I thought I'd gotten them all. Oops.

This is the first time I've had to transcribe the Clue Crew "Coming Up" spiel, as far as I can remember. If the players had played the clues in that Rhode Island category out of order, say bottom to top, the captions on screen might have given them the correct response to the $800 triple stumper. Also, Rhode Island + bay is much more common than Rhode Island + tribe, but your response should be the same for both.
Spoiler
What is Narragansett?
Sarah was, in my opinion, unfairly penalized in the X LACKS category in DJ thanks to the lack of the pronoun "this" in the top box clue. Chuck was given leniency in his response to the first clue revealed in that category, since the clue didn't specify whether they wanted the word with the x or without. This signaled that either way would have been satisfactory, but no, Sarah's x-less guess on the next clue was not accepted, thanks to a "this" appearing in the clue. She got the right word in the $1600 box, but was then penalized again at $2000, which is kind of her fault, even if the judgment was dumb. It was the correct way to do it, I suppose, but it wasn't "right". A $2,800 difference in her score at that point would possibly have impacted the outcome of the game.

The players didn't know how long a semicentennial was. A year later, a Kids Week player would get it right.
Spoiler
50 years. I didn't know either. I guessed 6 months.
The 3rd-most-famous of the Bollengen Prize-winning poets named Robert is now Jeopardy canon. Good for him.

Clue of the game will be WORLD'S FAIRS & EXPOS for $800 (J!), which I missed.
This author helped kick off construction for the 1904 fair in St. Louis, but declined to have a day named for him
Spoiler
Who is Mark Twain?
Have a good night.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

You spelled Nathanael Greene's first name differently from how he did.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The best way to make sure correction suggestions get entered is to submit them through the system. It only takes a few mouse clicks and a few keyboard taps.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I know, but I thought it would be rude and impersonal if I did that right after he posted about the game.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote:I know, but I thought it would be rude and impersonal if I did that right after he posted about the game.
That's very considerate of you. But I kind of expect it. It's actually one of the reasons I post these recaps. Since I'm often entering these at work, I don't get the chance to proofread as fully as I could.

Just say howdy in the comments section when you send in the correction. :)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Every once in a while I come across a years-old post on JBoard with somebody noting an Archive error and nothing ever got done about it because a submission to fix it was never put into the system. I really do implore that correction suggestions get submitted there rather than here, so they won't be missed. And you can always submit them anonymously. :D
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote:And you can always submit them anonymously. :D
That does nothing to assuage my misgivings about being impersonal!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote:
Add a byline to the submission then!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote:
There are currently 10 correction suggestions in the queue for this game, all signed "RKS". Half of them are to capitalize the Xs in the X LACKS clues.

Please don't feel bad for 1 second about submitting. ;)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Can any of you insomniacs make out Mike's last name in this video?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x54niy ... iz-mike_tv

I hear one thing in the into and another during the interview. Thanks.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

It sounds like either (spoilered so others can listen without being unduly influenced)
Spoiler
Pict or Pick
to me.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

Sounded like Pick to me. I have a subscription to Ancestry and there was a Michael Pick living in Arcadia, California in the early 1990s.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Can any of you insomniacs make out Mike's last name in this video?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x54niy ... iz-mike_tv

I hear one thing in the into and another during the interview. Thanks.
I thought I heard
Spoiler
Hicks at the introduction and Fick at story time. Either way it sounds like one syllable. Thicke I'm not hearing.