Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

MarkBarrett wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
WooWho? wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Julie: I've added a line on your Archive page to reflect your appearance on the show: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7936
I hate to be the one screaming for attention, Mark, but...could I get one too? :P http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6740
I'm not sure which airdate you typically use, but they're both listed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qjHOXFBQEs

While I'm at it, this guy needs one too: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9242
And while Josh is at it, could you please change my Archive page as well? $1000 on Millionaire on September 18 and 19, 2014, and $30,000 for Second Chance Week on November 10 and 11, 2015. Thanks!
Look okay? http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8138
It's beautiful! 8-) Thanks.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Those four options were really well chosen, I thought. You could make a strong case for three of them – I thought Harry Potter was a bit of an odd duck, but still a bit of a mind-screw if you start rationalizing down that path.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

The writers have managed to distill YEKIOYD down to its purest, elemental form. There is no earthly way to reason your way to that answer (especially not knowing which pages have had editing restrictions, and how strict, and for how long). The only way in is to have read the specific announcement they're asking about. Otherwise Chris might as well be asking "what letter am I thinking of?"

Great television all the way through. Although it's apparently a moderately well-known fact, I didn't know about Mickey and Minnie, so I'd have died on the previous hill.
henrix77

Post by henrix77 »

Hi all,

Got word yesterday that my Millionaire episode will be airing in a few weeks. I live in a market that doesn't air the show, so I was directed here in the hopes that one of you fine folks would be willing to share a digital copy with me? I'm certainly hoping that's the case. If anyone can help, it's greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

This seems to happen a lot:

1. Player uses 50/50
2. Player calls up +1
3. +1 hazards a guess, then says she's 50% confident

:roll:
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Vermonter wrote:This seems to happen a lot:

1. Player uses 50/50
2. Player calls up +1
3. +1 hazards a guess, then says she's 50% confident

:roll:
I was even more amused by a recent +1 who said she was only 40% confident with her choice. Among two choices. But that was the one she was going with.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The March 14 episode was the kind when video & audio does it more justice than just a quick summary or some photos of key clues. It's not the complete episode, but it has the good stuff.

I have no control over the thumbnail, unfortunately.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing

henrix77 wrote:Hi all,

Got word yesterday that my Millionaire episode will be airing in a few weeks. I live in a market that doesn't air the show, so I was directed here in the hopes that one of you fine folks would be willing to share a digital copy with me? I'm certainly hoping that's the case. If anyone can help, it's greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The above video link is the kind of thing I can upload, however, I get the show only from CBS stations. You are on this week? Which day? If it is Thursday or Friday I have zero expectation that it would air at 3 central/1 pacific. I can change my location to get another feed, but it has to be CBS if someone knows an alternate time.

I think the Austin station plans to air it in the early a.m. when I am not awake. I can try setting a timer through my recorder although I have no idea if that would work for capturing the live stream with my computer asleep. A daytime broadcast on a CBS station is the best bet for me to be able to help.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MarkBarrett wrote:The March 14 episode was the kind when video & audio does it more justice than just a quick summary or some photos of key clues. It's not the complete episode, but it has the good stuff.

:o Why couldn't either of those questions been my $50,000 question?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

ElendilPickle wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The March 14 episode was the kind when video & audio does it more justice than just a quick summary or some photos of key clues. It's not the complete episode, but it has the good stuff.

:o Why couldn't either of those questions been my $50,000 question?
I knew the $100,000 question too, but I'd have been out twice before I got there. $3000 would have gotten me, and also the railway Q.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I knew both $50k questions, but I did exactly what she did with the $100. I thought it might have been a forerunner of Excel somehow. But I had very low confidence.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Thanks yet again, Mark!
Spoiler
Shockingly, I correctly guessed that it was B. Mary Magdalene was a prostitute, as I recalled it being very murky about her background. Likely would have walked away just like the contestant did, though.

In the second game, didn't know either the Tonight Show or "Taps" questions. I was very impressed at how she managed to figure out the latter, although I wonder if she even needed her +1 for it.

And WOW, that $50,000 was indeed unusually easy. Instantly knew it before seeing any of the answers, which almost never happens at that level for me.

Didn't recall the 100,000 although I had likely read about it; ruled out A and C and would have chosen between B and D.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Board members were popping down from the audience today.

Kyle Hinnerichs returned today.
Spoiler
$50,000
While Syria is considered the most dangerous place on earth, for the last five years the Global Peace Index has ranked what country as the world’s safest?

A: Japan
B: Iceland
C: Canada
D: New Zealand

Kyle used his last lifeline, the +1, Alex Jacob. They both agreed on New Zealand.
Next:
Spoiler
It was Iceland, so Kyle left with $5,000. This portion of the show plus the $500 - $5000 questions for the next guy were preempted in my market for the news conference, so no pictures.
Next:
Spoiler
Andrew Oreskovich did not use a lifeline until the $20,000 question.
Before calling Bob Shore down the Ask the Audience had given:
A: Malta 19%
B: Liechtenstein 39%
C: Vatican City 23%
D: Andorra 19%
Next:
Spoiler
Bob thought it was Liechtenstein after eliminating Malta (island) and Vatican City (in Italy) as possibles. Bob was not sure about the location of Andorra. They discussed using the 50:50 but felt it would leave B & D. Between Bob's leaning and the audience choice Andrew decided to go for it.
Next:
Spoiler
$30,000
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
Andrew walked with his $20,000 in not wanting to take a guess and not being sure of the amount of Powerball numbers. He did know the roulette numbers were 1-36.
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was of course the roulette numbers. Millionaire will be in reruns next week and I'm assuming the next two weeks after that as well for a traditional 3-week break this time of year.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Wow, I wish I had had that set. Even I knew enough geography to easily get the first one, and the second one could be solved with some simple math, with very limited knowledge of the four choices;
Spoiler
An arithmetic progression is going to have the form of Total sum= (first term+last term) * number of terms/2

Assuming the interval between terms is just 1, we get (n+1)*n/2= 666

Now, we could solve a simple quadratic equation. Or we could simply do a prime factorization of 666, which is 2*3^2*37

Ooh, that 37 is telling! Looks a lot like n+1 in our equation above. And sure enough, 2*3^2=18, or n/2. Ergo, n=36

Now, it doesn't take exact knowledge to know that dice only go up to 6, that Powerball is only 5-6 numbers and/or that they go into the 50s, or to easily sum up (2+3+...+10)*4 for the cards.

But roulette wheels are clearly an arithmetic progression going somewhere into the 30s, ergo it's the answer.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:00 pm Wow, I wish I had had that set. Even I knew enough geography to easily get the first one, and the second one could be solved with some simple math, with very limited knowledge of the four choices;
Spoiler
An arithmetic progression is going to have the form of Total sum= (first term+last term) * number of terms/2

Now, we could solve a simple quadratic equation. Or we could simply do a prime factorization of 666, which is 2*3^2*37

Ooh, that 37 is telling! Looks a lot like n+1 in our equation above. And sure enough, 2*3^2=18, or n/2. Ergo, n=36

Now, it doesn't take exact knowledge to know that dice only go up to 6, that Powerball is only 5-6 numbers and/or that they go into the 50s, or to easily sum up (2+3+...+10)*4 for the cards.

But roulette wheels are clearly an arithmetic progression going somewhere into the 30s, ergo it's the answer.
There's 69 choices for all the playable (white) Powerball numbers (or 26 if the question is referring to the red Powerball -- either is quite wrong, but its not made clear which they are going after).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler
I got all of those without any lifelines. I was about 75% sure of Iceland since I had read an article several months ago about a woman who was killed there recently, and the whole nation was absolutely shocked. Nice to see you, Alex and Bob! Alex, are you making this your new profession?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:00 pm Wow, I wish I had had that set. Even I knew enough geography to easily get the first one, and the second one could be solved with some simple math, with very limited knowledge of the four choices;
Spoiler

Spoiler
But is that for a European or an American style roulette wheel?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:53 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
Isn't the only difference is the American one has zero and double zero? That would make the total the same.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:04 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
Isn't the only difference is the American one has zero and double zero? That would make the total the same.
That depends, does double zero count the same as zero, or is it double?

Also, just to beat TPH to the punch...
to add the numbers 1-36
1+36=37
2+35=37
17+20=37
18+19=37
so arranging them this way, the roulette wheel contains 18 pairs of numbers, each totaling 37. so 37*18 gives the total sum.
37*18=37*3*6
37*3=111 (this is multiplication that most adults should be able to figure out in their head given no time limit)
111*6=666
Golf

Post by Golf »

Or simply n(n+1)/2

Regardless, it's really sad that a contestant on a quiz show doesn't want to guess because he can't add the numbers 1 through 36 given infinite time. Hell, it's sad for anybody over 12.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:04 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
Yes...I was being silly there.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)