New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman »

There seems to be a date issue for this game. Jerry Frankel's fifth game is listed as being right before this game, which included a returning one-day champ.

I did a google search for "Michael Pick Arcadia CA" and got this.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/31889496/

I didn't want to sign up for a free trial to read the article, but the link given after I googled it said one of the winners was a Michael Pick. The headline said it was some bank contest for high school seniors. In the interview he said he was 25 and was introduced as an auditor. So if he was a senior in 1977 with an interest in banking, being an auditor at 25 in 1985 would line up.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote:There seems to be a date issue for this game. Jerry Frankel's fifth game is listed as being right before this game, which included a returning one-day champ.
I reckoned the date based on Liz's other game already in the archive. December 31, 1984 appears in the Final Jeopardy resource, and does not match this game, so Liz's 4th game is wrong too.

Or else the resource has some screwy early dates in it, since I searched the board and found the discussion about the dating of Liz's 4th game. I don't know. Michael Pannoni dated it 1985 on his DailyMotion page.
jlgarfield
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jlgarfield »

The 3/12/1992 episode is up in the Archive now; it was uploaded by one of the contestants who was on that episode.

The very next day, though....
Spoiler
The champion on that episode was ousted by Phil Yellman, who would go on to win five games on his own.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Bamaman wrote:There seems to be a date issue for this game. Jerry Frankel's fifth game is listed as being right before this game, which included a returning one-day champ.
I reckoned the date based on Liz's other game already in the archive. December 31, 1984 appears in the Final Jeopardy resource, and does not match this game, so Liz's 4th game is wrong too.

Or else the resource has some screwy early dates in it, since I searched the board and found the discussion about the dating of Liz's 4th game. I don't know. Michael Pannoni dated it 1985 on his DailyMotion page.
I understand you were dealing with what information you had. I watched part of the video and it seems odd Alex never said it was New Year's Eve. Unless, of course, the show didn't start airing the same day in all markets and they avoid commenting on the day to not confuse people.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

The 2/12/1992 episode is being entered in the Archive.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ The above ep is up in full, as is the next show, the 2/13/1992 ep.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:49 pm If you please, I would like to request the January 29, 2002, episode, as it had an unusual judgment call in FJ, if I am remembering correctly.
1/29/02 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1386

My coin landed on "was", but I"m open to changing it to "is."

As for the judgment call in the FJ! round. I'm fine with last name only as I don't see him getting that far in solving it and then thinking it was the other guy.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:15 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:49 pm If you please, I would like to request the January 29, 2002, episode, as it had an unusual judgment call in FJ, if I am remembering correctly.

My coin landed on "was", but I"m open to changing it to "is."

As for the judgment call in the FJ! round. I'm fine with last name only as I don't see him getting that far in solving it and then thinking it was the other guy.
Yeah, that's an "is".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I was remembering this as him not getting credit for just Ford, so I was not remembering correctly. Thanks for entering this game.

And I agree with David on "is".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:31 pm

I was remembering this as him not getting credit for just Ford, so I was not remembering correctly. Thanks for entering this game.

And I agree with David on "is".
I've made the change for the FJ! response. Thanks guys. What? You can't remember every detail from a game 15 years ago? ;)
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Hey Mark, I nearly wondering, that since shaving off his trademark mustache, the runner-up prizes became runner-up trips, for instance, a trip to Boston that was once a 2nd place prize became a trip for a 3rd place finisher while the 2nd place finisher got a trip outside of North America, such as a trip to Jamaica or a Costa Rica trip. I wonder if you can include the actual runner-up trips for the January 18 and 29, 2002 shows and do you have the January 31, 2002 episode in your collection that included the runner-up trips from the original or previous season broadcast or is your copy from GSN(which you don't know what the trips were until they're listed in the credits)? Oh yeah, can somebody also list the runner-up trips from the April 18 and 25, 2002 episodes while we're in the subject? Thanks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:08 pm Hey Mark, I nearly wondering, that since shaving off his trademark mustache, the runner-up prizes became runner-up trips, for instance, a trip to Boston that was once a 2nd place prize became a trip for a 3rd place finisher while the 2nd place finisher got a trip outside of North America, such as a trip to Jamaica or a Costa Rica trip. I wonder if you can include the actual runner-up trips for the January 18 and 29, 2002 shows and do you have the January 31, 2002 episode in your collection that included the runner-up trips from the original or previous season broadcast or is your copy from GSN(which you don't know what the trips were until they're listed in the credits)? Oh yeah, can somebody also list the runner-up trips from the April 18 and 25, 2002 episodes while we're in the subject? Thanks.
My source for 1/18 and 1/29 was not my collection and the recording had no commercials including the spot for announcing the trips. I cannot help with those missing. For the Archive I marked 2nd and 3rd place slots "unknown" since I knew leaving it blank would cause the prize patrol to lose their minds.

I checked and I have my own copy of 1/31/02 complete with the prizes, so I can input that game in April sometime.

I'll check another time to see about 4/18 and 4/25.
jeffhenderson
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jeffhenderson »

Michael Price just posted this game from 1993 on Twitter. It is not on J! Archive yet.

https://twitter.com/mikepriceinla/statu ... 7867565057
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jeffhenderson wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:14 pm Michael Price just posted this game from 1993 on Twitter. It is not on J! Archive yet.

https://twitter.com/mikepriceinla/statu ... 7867565057
Not sure if we could put it in. We don't have contestants, ring-ins, or any responses given.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I think we can be a little more definitive about that. We can't put it in without the contestants, ring-ins, responses, or clue order numbers!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 am Can any of you insomniacs make out Mike's last name in this video?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x54niy ... iz-mike_tv

I hear one thing in the into and another during the interview. Thanks.
And we go from the front of the list to the very back with the oldest of the unarchived games, c. January 1, 1985, it's Mike Pick vs. Liz Caccese vs. Phil Wilson. Game 1 for eventual 5-time-champ Liz.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5544

Quicky recap here. I'll mention that the capitalization of the P'S & Q'S category name is correct, and that Pannoni's video had the prize announcements edited out. Liz gets herself a little
Spoiler
hometown help
in FJ, a clue which I suppose is still accurate all these years later, depending on how you file
Spoiler
the Angels

Clue of the game will be ART for $800,
Goya painted her "Clothed" & "Naked"
Spoiler
Who is Maja?
the kind of thing that comes up quite a bit (though not since 2012 I see), but is outside what I'll call "regular general knowledge".

Thanks all for the help with Mike Pick's name. Alex called him "Michael" throughout the entire show, which I found odd.

Maybe more later. We'll see,
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Okay, eagle eyes. New question.

What is the column 1 category in the Jeopardy round of this game?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4tjoq8
Tamest_Whiff

Post by Tamest_Whiff »

Looks like World History to me, although I'd love somebody else's conformation.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:31 pm Okay, eagle eyes. New question.

What is the column 1 category in the Jeopardy round of this game?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4tjoq8
It's definitely WORD ORIGINS. You can see it more clearly as the camera zooms in for the $100 clue in GUINNESS RECORDS at 2:43.