Monday, March 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7481, 2017-03-06

CONTESTANTS
Ernie Sykes, a high school English teacher from Nolensville, Tennessee
Alison Maguire-Powell, a middle school band director from Denton, Texas
Rob Liguori, a research editor from Brooklyn, New York (whose 4-day cash winnings total $72,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Ah, thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the start of another great week here on Jeopardy! A good champion in Rob. Alison and Ernie, good luck. Here we go. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WAR STORIES (3/5)
STRINGING YOU ALONG (5/5)
TV SHOWS BY CHARACTER (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RUN! (4/5)
WHO IS OUR LEADER? (3/4)
A CUTE LITTLE HEDGEHOG (1/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rob: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Ernie: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Alison: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rob found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Rob had $1,600, Alison had $1,200, and Ernie was at $1,200. Rob wagered $800.

TV SHOWS BY CHARACTER $400: Daisy Mason, who rose from kitchen maid to assistant cook

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rob: $2,400
Alison: $1,200
Ernie: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ernie Sykes is a high school English teacher from Tennessee. Last week, Ernie, we were talking to a number of our contestants about marriages and how they got to be married and what happened at the ceremonies. You proposed to your-now wife in an unusual way, I understand.

Ernie: That's right, Alex. My beautiful wife, Liz, who's in the audience today--she and I met in law school. Lawyers in love. Very romantic.

Alex: Of course.

[Laughter]

Ernie: Uh, and in those days, I didn't have enough money to afford a real ring, so my standard joke was I would just buy her a tinfoil ring, and one evening, I actually fashioned a tinfoil ring for her. She laughed, and I asked, "Well, can you do any better?" And she came over to the box of aluminum foil and opened it up, and in the box I had placed her real ring.

Alex: Aw. How sweet.

Audience: Aw!

[Ernie laughs.]

Alex: Look at the reaction you got from this crowd. Wow. Isn't that great?

Ernie: That's my only romantic gesture ever.

Alex: You won over the audience just like that.

Ernie: Thank you.

Alex: Way to go.

Alex: Alison Maguire-Powell--three names--from Denton, Texas. You look so sweet, and you participate in roller derby?

Alison: Yes, I play roller derby. My roller derby name, as so many people have alter egos and, uh, alternate names in the sport, is "Daughter of Sam". Uh...

[Laughter]

Alison: I'm trying to be intimidating to make up for my less-than-intimidating appearance.

Alex: But you're so petite. I mean, you're not that intimidating. You're what, 5'2"? 5'3"?

Alison: 5 foot. [Laughs]

Alex: I mean, other women out there competing are 6 feet tall, 190 pounds. They're gonna beat the daylights out of you.

Alison: Some are, some are, but some are my size. They come in all sizes.

Alex: And you get 'em.

Alison: I do.

Alex: Good for you.

[Laughter]

Alex: All right, Daughter of Sam. Yes.

Alex: Rob Liguori is our champion, folks. He's from New York. He's a nice, quiet, unassuming gentleman. And yet an Oscar-winning director yelled at you?

Rob: Yes, he did.

Alex: What did you do?

Rob: I didn't do anything except ask him questions. For my job, I often have to talk to celebrities and other people--maybe you at some point--and check facts for, you know, stories that we run.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Rob: And this particular director called me up at home one night, and we had a little conversation, and he took, you know, exception to some of the things that I had to ask him.

Alex: You got too personal.

Rob: Uh, yes, I think I did, actually.

[Laughter]

Alex: Don't do that.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
RUN! $1000: Seen here is a carrying case for these sports items, also a word meaning "moves quickly"

WAR STORIES $600: "In Country" is Bobbie Ann Mason's novel of a young woman coming to terms with her father's death in this war

TV SHOWS BY CHARACTER $600: Darlene, a malware coder & Elliot's sister

WAR STORIES $800: "Rise to Rebellion" marks the start of the Revolution with this 1770 clash of British troops & colonists
(Alison: What is Bunker Hill?)
(Ernie: What is... the... Concord?)
(Rob: What is Shays' Rebellion?)

WHO IS OUR LEADER? $800: Abbrev. FAO, this U.N. agency headed by Jose Da Silva of Brazil leads the world's efforts to defeat hunger
(Alison: What is famine aid organization?)

A CUTE LITTLE HEDGEHOG $200: A baby hedgehog isn't called a piglet, but this similar-sounding word
(Ernie: What is a higlet?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rob: $4,400
Ernie: $2,400
Alison: -$1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 countries whose names start with the same 4 letters were part of different countries until the 1990s

Rob Liguori: 15200-11601=3599
Alison Maguire-Powell: 13400+9800=23200 (new champ)
Ernie Sykes: 8400-6801=1599

Correct response:
Spoiler
Slovakia & Slovenia (Rob – Latvia &) (Ernie – What are)

Daily Doubles
Rob: 1600+800
Alison: 7400+4000
Ernie: 4400+4000

Coryats
Rob: 14800
Alison: 10600
Ernie: 6000

Combined: 31,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, March 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JLJ »

Sufficiently aggressive Daily Double play by the challengers today. I like it.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bunker Hill
Concord
Shays' Rebellion

Yeah, yeah, I know. It was before their time. Is U.S.History not taught anymore?

Herman Wouk is 101 and a few months away from 102. Today's clue reminded me of this one:

#6670, aired 2013-09-20 BESTSELLERS $3,000 (Daily Double): At age 97 in 2012, quite a few years after his bestseller "The Caine Mutiny", he came out with "The Lawgiver"

Alison getting the FJ! clue right made Rob's defeat easier for him as on a miss she would have won by a buck 3600 to his 3599.

The FJ! clue was one of those annoying 45-second miss hits for me. I don't have 30-second European recall and I tried working with Belarus, Ukraine, Serbia, Montenegro, B&H, and Kosovo. I had a needless detour working off a Russian angle into the Asian stans. Time was up, but I paused the recording to think a little more and the path opened up.

Czechoslovakia to Czech Republic and Slovakia. Oh duh, Slovenia for the match. If you think of it it's quite gettable in time. If your think search does not hit it then it's a frustrating stumper.

Well done by Alison to take the title with a sole solve and clear path to playing tomorrow.

Credit to Rob for playing five games of J! and never trailing for the FJ! round. 2/5 on those FJ! clues will likely be enough to keep him from appearing in S34.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

I remember being confused by the wording of this one. It sounds from the FJ clue like they were part of a different country until the 1990s and now they are part of the same country, but that wouldn't work. So I just listed them until I noticed two SLOVs and figured well that must be it.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

French Rage wrote:I remember being confused by the wording of this one. It sounds from the FJ clue like they were part of a different country until the 1990s and now they are part of the same country, but that wouldn't work. So I just listed them until I noticed two SLOVs and figured well that must be it.
I agree that it was another vaguely confusing FJ; it had the feel of an algebra problem. Fortunately, the right set of letters came quickly and it was almost easier to deduce the proper reading of the clue from the correct response than the other way around.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I started out with Turkey and Turkmenistan, which fit the first part but not the second. I got the right answers in the thirty seconds, but I wonder if I'd have been able to write them out in time.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was one of the lucky ones that this one hit me. I thought of countries that broke up and got Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia and it was a one foot bounce, ESPN host Bayless and an 80s Van Halen hit from there.

But this is one that will drive you crazy if it doesn't come to you.

Nice comeback for Alison.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Knew FJ cold.

How many other pairs of countries share the same four letters to start?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm too depressed over my upcoming 30th birthday on Friday. I'm stuck in a dead-end job in a remote nowhere town, never making anywhere close to enough money to get anywhere better, stuck in my mom's house because I can't build up to anything better.

WLT World War I, Richmond, or Buddhism in the top box?

"Six Feet Under" was grossly undervalued at $200. That show hasn't been on the air anywhere in nearly a decade and a half, and 90% of us don't even get HBO anyway. Who the hell even remembers it? That whole category was insanely difficult anyway. NHO any of the other shows in it.

"Hoglet" was also very undervalued at $200. I could've taken 100 guesses and not gotten that.

NHO "Angels and Demons" either.

The Trios category was cute. I couldn't noodle the last one, though. "Measurement on a gauge" and "computation using integers" were too much for me to digest.

This took me most of the music, but I actually got it once I hit on Slovakia.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ, but at first I interpreted the clue as wanting 2 countries that were both part of Yugoslavia.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"Part of other countries til the '90s"? Hmm...Yugoslavia and Czecho.....Slovakia -> Slovenia, done. Doesn't hurt that I've been doing a ton of geography quizzes lately.

Maybe if he ever hunted those DDs instead of leaving them hanging out there for his opponents to find, things would've been different. Then again, he wouldn't even go TDD in the first round with only 1600, so maybe not.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget. Been through both! Gorgeous. GG! Only 39R. Grats Allison!! TS: Boston Massacre 1770; Angels & Demons; Jefferson City, MO. :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Elijah Baley wrote:it was almost easier to deduce the proper reading of the clue from the correct response than the other way around.
I had very similar thoughts. The correct response happened to come quickly (thinking about changing borders in the 1990s meant that I started around Yugoslavia) but then, once the two countries popped into my head, I had to reread the clue to make sure I was interpreting it correctly.

Names start with the same 4 letters? Check. Were part of different countries until the 1990s? Yes, they were... and they still are. They were part of Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia, and now they're part of Slovenia and Slovakia.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm too depressed over my upcoming 30th birthday on Friday. I'm stuck in a dead-end job in a remote nowhere town, never making anywhere close to enough money to get anywhere better, stuck in my mom's house because I can't build up to anything better.
Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

More than thirty years ago I left home and moved 1800 miles away with 100 bucks in my pocket and a friend's couch to sleep on. Now, after many years of hard work and successes, I've got 120 bucks in my pocket and I'm sleeping in a cheap motel room.

You, too, can do it. You've just got to try.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

TPH, when an International Tournament winner gives you advice, take it! Two years ago, I was a highly-qualified math and physics graduate looking for a job. Now I'm a highly-qualified math and physics teacher looking for a job.
I've been keeping score over the last two years, and tonight's J! round was my absolute worst ever: $3800 (11/26 with 3 negs). Fortunately I made up for it in the next round $24,800 (23/29), certainly one of my better ones.
I definitely would've gotten FJ if it were an LL question, but I started wandering around the Baltic, then thought of Belarus-Belgium (not quite!) and ran out of time. I got the correct responses just before the champ's were revealed.
Hoping for a third lap
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Smartass comments about "I'm 0.025% better off than I was when I started out" sure as hell aren't helping.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Smartass comments about "I'm 0.025% better off than I was when I started out" sure as hell aren't helping.
Maybe the daily game thread isn't the best place to gather life advice.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Good game with some challenging clues. Went a mere 2/5 on TV shows despite considering myself quite strong in that category.

Congratulations to the new champion, Alison. Since she mentioned being 5 feet even, I imagine she had to stand on blocks to be roughly eye-level with Rob and and Ernie?

LT: The Boston Massacre, prayer, Angels and Demons

FJ: Not quite instaget, but took me about 5 seconds. Very surprised this was a sole get. I have seen similar, but harder FJs solved by all three contestants before.
JLJ wrote:Sufficiently aggressive Daily Double play by the challengers today. I like it.
On the contrary. Alison should have bet everything ($7,400) on her DD, not just $4,000. Her not doing so cost her the lead going into FJ. She is lucky that decision didn't come back to haunt her.