The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
alietr wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: NHO the final response.
Are you really claiming you've never heard of Ft. McHenry?
Not ringing any bells.
But is it bursting any bombs? Any glare from red rockets?
Surely you've heard of the very famous poem "[To The] Defense of Fort M[c]Henry"?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Not rooting for any one side doesn't mean you can't know what's going on. (this is a "disinterested vs. uninterested" riff)
Still accurate. The war happened so long ago that I didn't have a side. Uninterested is also true.

And yeah, people keep telling me things like "well, if this historic thing hadn't happened, then this, this, or this wouldn't have happened either; isn't that interesting?" and all I can say is "Well, if ifs and buts were candies and nuts..."
I for one think it is delightful to imagine ifs and buts as candies and nuts sometimes.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Not rooting for any one side doesn't mean you can't know what's going on. (this is a "disinterested vs. uninterested" riff)
Still accurate. The war happened so long ago that I didn't have a side. Uninterested is also true.

And yeah, people keep telling me things like "well, if this historic thing hadn't happened, then this, this, or this wouldn't have happened either; isn't that interesting?" and all I can say is "Well, if ifs and buts were candies and nuts..."
I'm pretty disinterested in art and classical music, but I'm frequenting a message board for trivia, so even if I've never heard of something, my response is more "I'd better look it up" than a simple "NHO, so how am I supposed to get that?".

Seriously, you must be the least curious person who likes trivia.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I don't think he likes trivia, I think he likes the attention he gets here for not knowing stuff. Otherwise he'd at least try to improve, and he wouldn't say things like this:
TenPoundHammer wrote: No guess on FJ! Every word of the clue was completely meaningless to me.
I've never seen someone so proud of not knowing stuff, who participates so much in a community for people who like learning new things.

It's been said many times in this thread, but I think you'll enjoy the show a lot more if you stop tracking your scores and just enjoy the competition. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two by osmosis.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

zakharov wrote:I don't think he likes trivia, I think he likes the attention he gets here for not knowing stuff. Otherwise he'd at least try to improve, and he wouldn't say things like this:
TenPoundHammer wrote: No guess on FJ! Every word of the clue was completely meaningless to me.
I've never seen someone so proud of not knowing stuff, who participates so much in a community for people who like learning new things.

It's been said many times in this thread, but I think you'll enjoy the show a lot more if you stop tracking your scores and just enjoy the competition. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two by osmosis.
I'm pretty new to the board, and haven't quite yet figured TPH out. My initial impression is that if we had the clue, "This fairy-tale creature lived under a bridge, demanding payment from those who wished to cross," the question "Who is TenPoundHammer?" might be an acceptable response in addition to the obvious one.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

There is part of me that wants to learn. But I just can't get out of my own way. Everything I try only backfires.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Why do people do this? "What would've happened had [historic event] gone differently?"
"Jeopardy!" was created as a result of Merv Griffin and his wife discussing, basically, "what would've happened had the quiz show scandals gone differently?"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:

I for one think it is delightful to imagine ifs and buts as candies and nuts sometimes.
Harry Turtledove has made a nice living off those ifs and nuts.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

zakharov wrote:It's been said many times in this thread, but I think you'll enjoy the show a lot more if you stop tracking your scores and just enjoy the competition. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two by osmosis.
I haven't been tracking my scores for a while now.

As I said, part of me does want to learn. But the harder I try, the worse I get. I've actually watched a rerun and gotten fewer correct responses on more than one occasion, because my recall gets rusty, I draw a blank on something I should know forward and backward, or I misinterpret a clue.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Re: Monday, March 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]
Postby TenPoundHammer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Smartass comments about "I'm 0.025% better off than I was when I started out" sure as hell aren't helping.
Ten Pound Hammer
Well, for starters, you could look over the next 30 years for a group that is more sympathetic and you're not likely going to find it.

There's also a Buddhist parable about a mustard seed that could be illuminating as well:
In the Buddhist story a young woman -Kisa Gotami- follows a rather fairy-tale like path from birth in a poor family to a marriage to the only son of a wealthy family. She was not treated well by the wealthy family of her husband until she bore them a son. Then she was accepted and respected. Things couldn’t be better for her.
But then, tragedy strikes. Her son, at just the age where he had begun to run around on his own, died. Distraught, she took up the child’s body and searched for a doctor with the right medicine to revive him. She was laughed at and mocked by those who saw her until, finally, a man told her to go see the Buddha.

She asked the Buddha if he could help her. To her delight, he said, “yes, I can help you.”kisa gotami and the buddha
What he would need from her was just a simple mustard seed from the nearby village. In India, mustard seeds would be in practically every house as a common spice. She was elated; this would be easy. “But,” the Buddha told her, “you must get the seed from a house that has not known death.”

“Sure,” she thought, and went quickly on her way. At the first house she asked for the mustard seed and when it was quickly offered to her, she asked, “has there been death in this house?” The kind villager nodded and told the story of a lost uncle or cousin. The same happens at the next house, and the next house, and the next. As she traveled from house to house and heard story after story, her sense of aloneness in her grief began to subside. “No house is free from death,” she realized. She finally let go of her son, laying him in a forest nearby, and returned to the Buddha.

The Buddha asked her, “Do you have the mustard seed?”
“Dear teacher,” She replied, “I do not, but I saw that the living are few and the dead are many.”
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Still unanswered from Monday:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT World War I, Richmond, or Buddhism in the top box?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Still unanswered from Monday:
Fledgling is a hoity toity word so you must know what it means. WWII had flying things already established so go with WWI.

Thomas Jefferson = Virginia, so the capital is Richmond.

Zen = Buddhism

All three of those clues were top box and properly valued.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fledgling is a hoity toity word so you must know what it means. WWII had flying things already established so go with WWI.
I do know what fledgling means, but that seems like a very obscure path to WWI. Because WWI was the only war to have things that fly, right?

ETA: "In 'Khaki Wings' a young British man courts danger by joining the fledgling Royal Flying Corps during this war."
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
I do know what fledgling means, but that seems like a very obscure path to WWI. Because WWI was the only war to have things that fly, right?

ETA: "In 'Khaki Wings' a young British man courts danger by joining the fledgling Royal Flying Corps during this war."
The first airplane was in 1903. World War I began in 1914. I don't know exactly what year Britain created an air force, but it is reasonable to assume that it was still quite new in 1914. "Fledgling" here means "new-ish," not "bird" (even though the clue does involve flying).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Just because the Royal Corps was new at the time does not mean that the concept of using a plane in war was.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Just because the Royal Corps was new at the time does not mean that the concept of using a plane in war was.
Planes were still relatively new! So, yes, using them in wartime was very new.

Besides, by the time of WWII the Royal Flying Corps had become the better-known RAF.

The book Khaki WIngs, incidentally, became a TV series, Wings, which is available on YouTube. It makes fascinating viewing.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Just because the Royal Corps was new at the time does not mean that the concept of using a plane in war was.
Yes, actually, it -does- mean that. A powerhouse nation like the UK would adapt new technologies, e.g. planes, for war as soon as possible because they know damn well their equally powerhouse opponents would be doing the same.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
Yes, actually, it -does- mean that. A powerhouse nation like the UK would adapt new technologies, e.g. planes, for war as soon as possible because they know damn well their equally powerhouse opponents would be doing the same.
Because everyone would know that, right? That seems like a lot to infer at $200.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
Because everyone would know that, right? That seems like a lot to infer at $200.
...obviously not everyone, but it's not at all a lot to infer.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
...obviously not everyone, but it's not at all a lot to infer.
"Oh, the UK is a powerhouse that would've obviously been the first to do something. The clue kinda sorta vaguely hinted at first-ness through one word that 99% of the population would consider totally immaterial to solving the clue. And it would OBVIOUSLY be WWI because that'd be the only time there'd be a "first" of anything involving airplanes, even though there's no reason not to believe that the corps maybe wasn't set up until WWI, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, or the year 9001."