Wednesday, March 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN’S AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“The Tale of Kitty-In-Boots”, written by her in 1914, was first published in 2016

Todd Defilippi: 1000+1000=2000
John Paul Gove: 3600-0=3600
Annie Marggraf: 15600+4400=20000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Beatrix Potter (John Paul – PL Travers)

Daily Doubles
Annie: 2400+2400
Todd: 4600+2600
Todd: 6000-3000

Coryats
Todd: 3400
John Paul: 3600
Annie: 14200

Combined: 21,200
MarkBarrett

Re: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tough game Todd although unlike others who run into such misfortune in their one chance you caught the break in it being game 2.

Even though Annie easily ran away with the game Todd did have a path to victory.

The DD in SUMMING UP OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE begged for all of the chips pushed in based on category and clue style. From there Todd could have gone for the farm in the CLOCKS DD which was a second box clue. The Daily Double is a time to take the extra moments granted to read the clue twice without a rush to response. That kind of discipline could have avoided the (musical instrument) glockenspiel blurt.

Annie outplayed the guys combined with room to spare and the spread would have been more if she had avoided some high value misses. A lot of players sit on the first day lock amount while she took advantage of her lead and padded her winnings with a 4400 wager.

I knew I had read about the author and her work on the J! Board and I found the post. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3355&p=202981&hilit ... ts#p202981

For those that guessed their way to right writer would this gender neutral clue change have made any difference in solving it?

“The Tale of Kitty-In-Boots”, written by this author in 1914, was first published in 2016

The next time unusual occupation introductions come up we can add John Paul to the list with (no hits in the Archive) go-go dancer.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

I wouldn't have gotten "cuckoo" if I had minutes to answer, so it's all kinda moot. As much I did well on the buzzer yesterday, Annie killed us on it today. And she knew her stuff! I got my win, I'm more than happy with the overall result! Plus it was nice to get the FJ and go out on top.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I'm sure I read about it at the time; remembering it a year later wasn't happening. Still instaget...
MarkBarrett wrote:For those that guessed their way to right writer would this gender neutral clue change have made any difference in solving it?
...since the logic was simply "early 20th c. children's author who wrote books involving animals", and Potter is the default answer, nope.

Breath....porridge...what??!
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I can't really gauge how hard the cuckoo clock clue was. I thought it was super easy, but I'm also kinda' obsessed with cuckoo clocks, so I'm probably not the best judge there. (And totally disappointed they didn't finish a rare clock category).

In hindsight, FJ! wasn't that hard, but for some reason, I was trying to think of someone who was too embarrassed to publish a children's story. Just something like that gets stuck in your head, and it's hard to get it out :|.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I got the cuckoo clock clue.

NHO Hugh Grant, or any of those other Presidential Actors for that matter.

Ran Music Soothes, although I have the same hatred for the word "soothe" as most people do for "moist".

WLT "Alps" in the top box?

Another rare dud for me in a word category, as I was 0/5 in "Hy"er Education.

NHO that porridge expression, and "Salt of the Earth" was too far back.

Also NHO "Argo" that I recall.

Oh, the Peter Rabbit lady. Um, what the hell is her name... crap crap crap crap. Both mom and I had a total mental block and couldn't pull it in 30 seconds.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Potter by guessing an author who used animal characters. I wasn't exactly sure when she lived but she was all I had.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

As others have already said, female childrens author + animals, I couldn't come up with something better than Potter.

Annie is a very strong player and great on the buzzer - nice champion to have on international women's day!
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Bamaman wrote:I got Potter by guessing an author who used animal characters. I wasn't exactly sure when she lived but she was all I had.

According to "The Other Wiki", Beatrix Potter died three days before Christmas 1943. She was 77.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I considered Potter, but thought "Why now?" and decided on Travers based on recent interest in her. Bzzzt!

I wasn't tracking my responses carefully, but it felt like a lousy game for me. I recall guessing "hyacinth" for "hydrangea".
Golf

Post by Golf »

The last DD was an obvious all-in if you're not going to bet $5.

How mad would one be if you had memorized the Best Picture winners (as any aspiring contestant should) and then get clobbered by the bottom row clue that didn't include the year?

What was the deal with the little wave Annie gave at the end of the DJ round?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Golf wrote:What was the deal with the little wave Annie gave at the end of the DJ round?
Waving to a relative at home perhaps? She waved again after FJ; otherwise, I would've wondered if she was waving goodbye to the competition, which would've elicited all sorts of four-letter responses from me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I got Potter by guessing an author who used animal characters. I wasn't exactly sure when she lived but she was all I had.

According to "The Other Wiki", Beatrix Potter died three days before Christmas 1943. She was 77.
If you had told me yesterday she died in 1873 I would have believed you.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

My girlfriend was absolutely incensed watching this game, moreso than she ever has watching Jeopardy. That cocky, smug wave (which I initially missed, but she made me rewind it so I could see what upset her so much) Annie gave Todd at the end of the Double Jeopardy elicited all sorts of four-letter pejoratives.

Had my girlfriend been the champion in place of Todd, I wouldn't be surprised if she would have physically attacked Annie for that stunt.

While I wasn't as perturbed, I can certainly appreciate her sentiments; that's easily the most disrespectful thing I've seen on Jeopardy since I began watching in October 2015.

Also, I really wish Todd had bet more on both of his DDs. Especially the one on movies, as it was a pure speed category.

LT: Twelfth Night, Hungarian

FJ: Beatrix Potter is a real blind spot for me. Went with Astrid Lindgren instead.
OSExpert wrote:Annie is a very strong player and great on the buzzer - nice champion to have on international women's day!
Would be even nicer if she had a shred of class or sportsmanship.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Beatrix Potter by noting the name "The Tale of..."

She wrote 30 something stories and almost all of them are "The Tale of animal"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrix_P ... blications

Hungarian Dance #5 by Brahms:
Spoiler
It's a nice song.
Last edited by MattKnowles on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

MarkBarrett wrote:For those that guessed their way to right writer would this gender neutral clue change have made any difference in solving it?

“The Tale of Kitty-In-Boots”, written by this author in 1914, was first published in 2016
I don't think so: "Tale of" + animal name was what led me in that direction. (I wasn't positive of the time frame either, but figured it was plausible and went for it based on the title.)

(Edit: ninja'd)
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

Went with A.A. Milne--didn't realize Milne was male until I looked him up after the reveal. That said, I don't think I would've gone for Potter had I thought of her; I didn't realize she was that recent an author.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

Well you win some you lose some. I fell back and started swinging for the fences, and missed on quite a few!

And lest I forget, thank you to everyone on here who works on j-archive! It has been an amazing study tool and a fun way to kill time. I did one a day since my audition, and it helped me identify questions and subjects that came up a lot that I needed to brush up on. For some things it helped (getting Brothers Karamazov because I read a little about Tolstoy and Dostoyetsky), some it would have if I thought about it a bit more (Twelth Night instead of A Winter's Tale). I can't overstate how great the site is!