Wednesday, March 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman »

John Boy wrote:After listening to the introductions for this game, I've made a decision.

If I ever make it to another J! audition, and we come to the interview portion, I'm not going to tell the CCs what I really do for a living. I may tell them that I'm a weasel handler. Or a bubble gum machine guard. Maybe a javelin catcher. Or something else I haven't thought of yet.
Froot Loop Sorter?! :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

goatman wrote:
John Boy wrote:After listening to the introductions for this game, I've made a decision.

If I ever make it to another J! audition, and we come to the interview portion, I'm not going to tell the CCs what I really do for a living. I may tell them that I'm a weasel handler. Or a bubble gum machine guard. Maybe a javelin catcher. Or something else I haven't thought of yet.
Froot Loop Sorter?! :roll:
M&Ms spellchecker.

W. W. 3. M. W. M. E. ...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Jeopardy! is cruel. Todd destroyed on Tuesday then had his clock cleaned by Annie on Wednesday. I appreciated the WTF looks to the left every time you got beat to the buzzer. I can only imagine the frustration.

I like when contestants speak clearly and enunciate. That's just me.

Surprised so many people fall into the trap of A Midsummer's Night Dream (even when it's the wrong response).

Twelfth Night- duh. I liked the echo of Illyria from that clue in one of Todd's (?) later responses.

Black Forest >> Germany >>>>>>>>>>>> cuckoo clock? Yeah. Not in a million years.

Couldn't dredge up poor Don Adams.

NHO Paris Island, 7 Cities of Cibola, Our American Cousin.

How were we to know what kind of whale that was?

Negged on 'muzak' with Otis (elevator co.) doh!

Hyperbaric and hygrometer - ouch.

Beatrix Potter - Instaget, this is recent news people
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Our American Cousin was the play Lincoln was attending when he was assassinated. It comes up frequently in Jeopardy! and other trivia: http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search

7 Cities of Cibola comes up frequently also. It gets confused with El Dorado as often as it comes up. El Dorado was in South America and Cibola was in the American Southwest. If it's in North America or mentions 7 cities then it is Cibola, otherwise it is El Dorado.

Humpback Whales are the ones most associated with whalesong. It's also a good idea to visually recognize the difference between Sperm Whales, Blue Whales, and Humpback Whales:
Spoiler
Also if you read Moby Dick you'll learn everything about whales and then some. It will teach you the difference between a scrimshaw and a queequeg.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MattKnowles wrote:Our American Cousin was the play Lincoln was attending when he was assassinated. It comes up frequently in Jeopardy! and other trivia: http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search

7 Cities of Cibola comes up frequently also. It gets confused with El Dorado as often as it comes up. El Dorado was in South America and Cibola was in the American Southwest. If it's in North America or mentions 7 cities then it is Cibola, otherwise it is El Dorado.

Humpback Whales are the ones most associated with whalesong. It's also a good idea to visually recognize the difference between Sperm Whales, Blue Whales, and Humpback Whales:
Spoiler
Also if you read Moby Dick you'll learn everything about whales and then some. It will teach you the difference between a scrimshaw and a queequeg.
Thanks for the info. Was able to get "Lincoln shot in the back of the head" without knowing the play. I can't imagine the scene in the theater that night!

The trouble with Jeopardy's I have a notebook full of things to go look up but I have a hard enough time keeping up with 5 episodes a week. Some things stick without study- others (like dude who founded Methodism) not so much. It doesn't help when a contestant bungles the pronunciation and then it sticks in my head wrong.

And all this effort and not even one audition yet. Argh.

"If you read Moby Dick..." hahaha big if!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: "If you read Moby Dick..." hahaha big if!
That's for sure. Obviously the book has its fans, but it's easily the most boring book I've ever finished.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
That's for sure. Obviously the book has its fans, but it's easily the most boring book I've ever finished.
Seconded. One of my English teachers (the one who dared me to read it even) tried justifying the length and slowness as symbolic of Ahab's journey.

As if I wasn't already convinced English class was a waste of a period...

But, as I always say, if I'm somehow transported back in time onto the deck of a 1830s whaler, I'll be able to filet a bowhead like a BOSS.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Definitely up there for me, too. Close battle between that and David Copperfield for classics I had to force myself the most to suffer through and finish. Then again, there are classics, like Les Miserables, that I couldn't finish at all.
Tamest_Whiff

Post by Tamest_Whiff »

Extremely nitpicky, but I believe Twelfth Night is usually on January 5th, rather than the 6th. Although I'm not sure 1/6 is completely wrong.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

IronNeck wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Definitely up there for me, too. Close battle between that and David Copperfield for classics I had to force myself the most to suffer through and finish. Then again, there are classics, like Les Miserables, that I couldn't finish at all.
Oh no, I thought David Copperfield was supposed to be great! It does seem like a long one though.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

IronNeck wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
I am quite blessed to say that my high school reading very, VERY thankfully did not consist of Moby Dick and David Copperfield. What it did include, unfortunately, were Great Expectations (unleashed upon myself and my 9th grade(!!! way too early) English class) and Les Miserables (EASILY the worst thing I had to put up with in tenth grade Paideia, which otherwise was/is easily my utmost favorite high school class). At least my Paideia English teacher (who was and will always be terrific) confessed that A LOT of people didn't/don't care for Victor Hugo's writing because of how ridiculously detailed he would get about most little/non-important things and aspects of characters and/or scenery. As much as I would love to pride myself on never having needed Cliff's Notes or Internet equivalents there-of, those huge slogs of reading ixnayed that.

As for non-high school curriculum and non/semi-classic reading that is downright tedious to say the least, I have to put in a mention for The Wheel Of Time series (which does get the occasional J! nod). The closest thing to a high school sweetheart I ever had recommended that series to me, and I tried to read the first book, The Eye Of The World. Although it started out interesting, it got boring FAST...and I put down the book and never looked back (particularly when I realized that there were, at the time, SEVEN* more books just like TEOTW) at just barely halfway through the damned thing.

* - It still makes my brain short-circuit to know that a FURTHER SEVEN MORE books followed those other seven. :shock:
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $20,800
39 R/8 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Twelfth Night, Don Adams, cuckoo clocks (DD), salt of the earth

Glad I wasn't a contestant on this episode. I was a negging machine.
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Coryat: $20,800
39 R/8 W

Heh, I've often wondered how bad that would be. Yeah, 8 negs is a lot, but presumably, were you on the show, you wouldn't buzz in first on all of those. If you got to ring in on half of those, that 39R/8W might work out out to 20R/4W on the show; not a shabby result at all, and still well within contention for winning. That's not even taking into account rebounds, either.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

IronNeck wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Coryat: $20,800
39 R/8 W

Heh, I've often wondered how bad that would be. Yeah, 8 negs is a lot, but presumably, were you on the show, you wouldn't buzz in first on all of those. If you got to ring in on half of those, that 39R/8W might work out out to 20R/4W on the show; not a shabby result at all, and still well within contention for winning. That's not even taking into account rebounds, either.
I've often wondered what my Coryats would translate to on the show, that's a great thing to use, I think I'll take it into account when I look at my daily Coryat tracking.

Now to determine *which* half of the clues will count in-studio, the top half of the board or the bottom half. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
You're not supposed to actually READ the darned thing. As one guy wrote, unless you're interested in reading about the history of whaling, the diets of whales, the construction of whaling ships, and the eye/ear/nose/throat and rest of the anatomy of the whale, you're allowed to gloss entirely over the middle 80 or so chapters. After all Ahab isn't the only one entitled to be a skipper.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
You're not supposed to actually READ the darned thing. As one guy wrote, unless you're interested in reading about the history of whaling, the diets of whales, the construction of whaling ships, and the eye/ear/nose/throat and rest of the anatomy of the whale, you're allowed to gloss entirely over the middle 80 or so chapters. After all Ahab isn't the only one entitled to be a skipper.
Dammit, I wish someone would have told me this sooner! :)