Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Ive seen Thule stuff around so much that I was happy to be able to use it in a game.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

georgespelvin wrote:I had been looking forward to playing comic book legend Len Wein this coming week, but I just learned that the Lively One had serious spinal surgery the other day. :cry: I hope that he recovers soon, and not just so that I have the honor of losing to him someday (when he's able to play this season, he's done very well).
You might send Thorsten an email about WeinL's surgery, as he's now forfeited his last five matches.
In and out of the pool four times
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

I just discovered that the Thule/Maersk discussion has been one of comparing apples to oranges.

I wasn't familiar with Thule "cargo carriers and transport equipment," which look like this:

while Maersk's, that I see all the time, look like this:

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote: I wasn't familiar with Thule "cargo carriers and transport equipment," which look like this:

Two bits you'll be noticing Thule roof boxes and racks all the time now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
RandyG wrote: I wasn't familiar with Thule "cargo carriers and transport equipment," which look like this:

Two bits you'll be noticing Thule roof boxes and racks all the time now.
Yeah, I noticed two of them on my bike ride yesterday, curse them.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

reddpen wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:I had been looking forward to playing comic book legend Len Wein this coming week, but I just learned that the Lively One had serious spinal surgery the other day. :cry: I hope that he recovers soon, and not just so that I have the honor of losing to him someday (when he's able to play this season, he's done very well).
You might send Thorsten an email about WeinL's surgery, as he's now forfeited his last five matches.
It's my understanding that even death does not stop forfeits from happening. I think forfeits continued after Cindy Stowell died last season. In Len Wein's case, the circumstances will likely immunize him from relegation next season (at least I hope so) but won't stop the forfeits.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

georgespelvin wrote:
reddpen wrote:
It's my understanding that even death does not stop forfeits from happening. I think forfeits continued after Cindy Stowell died last season. In Len Wein's case, the circumstances will likely immunize him from relegation next season (at least I hope so) but won't stop the forfeits.
Actually my understanding is that StowellC and other LLamas gone to the great pub trivia in the sky have their remaining games marked as 0(0)s. This can be confirmed on her page, and can be corroborated on pages of other passed LLamas
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Ack, I conflated A Fistful of Dollars's plot with that of For a Few Dollars More. (It's been a while since I've seen them.) That stopped me from 12/12'ing the Mid-Season Classic.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote:Ack, I conflated A Fistful of Dollars's plot with that of For a Few Dollars More. (It's been a while since I've seen them.) That stopped me from 12/12'ing the Mid-Season Classic.
Nicely done! I did much better than I expected. I missed three, but still ended up at 95%. I think my moneying was exactly optimal.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
teapot37 wrote:Ack, I conflated A Fistful of Dollars's plot with that of For a Few Dollars More. (It's been a while since I've seen them.) That stopped me from 12/12'ing the Mid-Season Classic.
Nicely done! I did much better than I expected. I missed three, but still ended up at 95%. I think my moneying was exactly optimal.
Congrats to you both. I missed two (random Eastwood western guess + said Reykjavik instead of Riga to go with Rome).

Even when I do poorly (ie the last two + seasons, quite proud of this one though) I find the Midseason classic more enjoyable than the subject-specific 1DS during the off-season. I like the general nature, plus the well-tuned difficulty. I guess Thorsten's writing practice pays off for me.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Nicely done, both of you! I missed three but only dropped 13 points to non-optimal moneying, yet that was only enough for 89%. One of my three misses was High Plains Drifter for A Fistful of Dollars, very disappointing since I've seen them both multiple times (and Yojimbo more times than either).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Of the ones I got right, I moneyed the right ones.

It hurts my soul that the Rockford Files question was the second-hardest question. I need to rewatch that show. Such a great theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg1Cx26-928
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I did my part along with Myron to help Prairie. 9/12 for me and I could have had a higher score for money choices if I had realized I had guessed the western correctly. On the other end my score could have been lower if I had thought of Reykjavik. Only having Riga & Rome occur to me worked out nicely.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:I did my part along with Myron to help Prairie. 9/12 for me and I could have had a higher score for money choices if I had realized I had guessed the western correctly. On the other end my score could have been lower if I had thought of Reykjavik. Only having Riga & Rome occur to me worked out nicely.
Guess who thought of Reykjavik and then Riga. I didn't even realize I was wrong until almost a full day after submitting.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote:It hurts my soul that the Rockford Files question was the second-hardest question.
Me, too. Great show.

People not knowing what a scalar is hurt my soul, but I knew enough to money that one and The Rockford Files! :)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I did my part along with Myron to help Prairie. 9/12 for me and I could have had a higher score for money choices if I had realized I had guessed the western correctly. On the other end my score could have been lower if I had thought of Reykjavik. Only having Riga & Rome occur to me worked out nicely.
Guess who thought of Reykjavik and then Riga. I didn't even realize I was wrong until almost a full day after submitting.
Yup. I didn't even think of Rome, although I spent a few days there in 2015.

I was so proud of myself for coming up with propane and ethane; I didn't see they had to be in some kind of order, and I wouldn't have known the correct order anyway.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Who would've guessed the Potato Eaters was so obscure?...

Also...
Pacific 2275 1860 1968 1475 1254 199 9031
Come on, rookies! You're killin us!! :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
I missed three, but with slightly less-optimal moneying, I ended up in the 90th percentile. I think that's my best showing.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Well done, Sir!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

georgespelvin wrote:
reddpen wrote:
One of my referrals last season had a temporary coma, and Thorsten changed most of the forfeits to 0's, but not all of them for some reason I don't understand. Had they all been 0's instead of forfeits, he wouldn't have been relegated.