Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by georgespelvin »

dhkendall wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:
reddpen wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:I had been looking forward to playing comic book legend Len Wein this coming week, but I just learned that the Lively One had serious spinal surgery the other day. :cry: I hope that he recovers soon, and not just so that I have the honor of losing to him someday (when he's able to play this season, he's done very well).
You might send Thorsten an email about WeinL's surgery, as he's now forfeited his last five matches.
It's my understanding that even death does not stop forfeits from happening. I think forfeits continued after Cindy Stowell died last season. In Len Wein's case, the circumstances will likely immunize him from relegation next season (at least I hope so) but won't stop the forfeits.
Actually my understanding is that StowellC and other LLamas gone to the great pub trivia in the sky have their remaining games marked as 0(0)s. This can be confirmed on her page, and can be corroborated on pages of other passed LLamas
The message apparently got through, WeinL was given just a zero and not a forfeit for yesterday's match.

It just occurred to me that "WeinL" is a perfect LL name for a comic book legend. It sounds like he's a super being from Krypton.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

The Frankenthaler question must be one of the lowest get rates LearnedLeague has seen. Only 5%? She shows up 4 times in j-archive, but is never asked for by name.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

badgerfellow wrote:The Frankenthaler question must be one of the lowest get rates LearnedLeague has seen. Only 5%? She shows up 4 times in j-archive, but is never asked for by name.
I consider my knowledge of art to be one of my strengths, yet for that question the best that I could muster was Lee Krasner (died 1984). For female American Abstract Expressionists, I had no one else.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote:
badgerfellow wrote:The Frankenthaler question must be one of the lowest get rates LearnedLeague has seen. Only 5%? She shows up 4 times in j-archive, but is never asked for by name.
I consider my knowledge of art to be one of my strengths, yet for that question the best that I could muster was Lee Krasner (died 1984). For female American Abstract Expressionists, I had no one else.
I gave the same answer
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

morbeedo wrote:
Woof wrote:
I gave the same answer
Here as well. I knew it was wrong, since she was the answer to a question just a few seasons back: http://learnedleague.com/question.php?69&9&4 .... plus I didn't think she lived into the 21st century.
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

Of course my opponent, not strong in art, got it correct. At least by giving her three points for it, my strategy should have been a good one. I lost by three. :roll:
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I knew it wasn't O'Keeffe, but that was all I knew. Still managed to squeak out a tie with the always-formidable Reddpen.
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

I put OKeefe because although I was pretty sure it was wrong, I was expecting (and got) a MCW.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

OSXpert wrote:I put OKeefe because although I was pretty sure it was wrong, I was expecting (and got) a MCW.
Me as well. Good luck today, may the best JBoarder win!
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

dnbguy wrote:
OSXpert wrote:I put OKeefe because although I was pretty sure it was wrong, I was expecting (and got) a MCW.
Good luck to you as well!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Notch another for the Krasner Train. Knew it wasn't her, but the painting had some Pollock-esque work to it, so I figured it'd be as good a guess as any.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dnbguy wrote:
Me as well as well.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lost 6(5)-7(5) in public, tied 6(5)-6(4) in private. My downfall was not appreciating how easy the Tupac question was when defending it against opponents with low pop music scores.

edit: I could have sworn it was 6(5)-7(4). Maybe it changed between my first look at the site and my receiving the e-mail update.
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

seaborgium wrote:Lost 6(5)-7(4) in public, tied 6(5)-6(4) in private. My downfall was not appreciating how easy the Tupac question was when defending it against opponents with low pop music scores.
Yeah, even *I* got that one, which is saying something. The key: "legend" = dead.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

RichmondJ wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Lost 6(5)-7(4) in public, tied 6(5)-6(4) in private. My downfall was not appreciating how easy the Tupac question was when defending it against opponents with low pop music scores.
Yeah, even *I* got that one, which is saying something. The key: "legend" = dead.
For what it's worth, though, the twentieth anniversary of Notorious B.I.G.'s murder was less than a week ago.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

dnbguy wrote:
Well played on both offense and defense!

I actually had Notorious B.I.G. typed in and switched it to Tupac, so I almost lost even worse.

My initial guess on the math question was e, then I remembered it was pi day, then I decided to figure it out but I am rusty with limits. I plugged in 2 and then 3 into the expression, and it was pretty clearly headed to 2.71, so I went back to my first guess of e.

Also, apparently only one person in all of Pacific's Rookie Division played the Mid-Season classic. :?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OSXpert wrote: My initial guess on the math question was e, then I remembered it was pi day, then I decided to figure it out but I am rusty with limits. I plugged in 2 and then 3 into the expression, and it was pretty clearly headed to 2.71, so I went back to my first guess of e.
I didn't think of e, so I plugged in 2, 3, 4, and 5 before being satisfied that it wouldn't go below 2.65. It wasn't until I realized that the Golden Ratio was less than 2 that I recalled that e was approximately 2.7.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

seaborgium wrote:
RichmondJ wrote:
For what it's worth, though, the twentieth anniversary of Notorious B.I.G.'s murder was less than a week ago.
I think "California Love" would still have inclined me toward 2Pac. But I'm glad I didn't think about it that hard.
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

I was totally clueless on the Math question (as I almost always am), but thought that I was being clever by guessing Pi because of what day it was. My instinct on this was so strong that I even marked it as a two instead of a three for my opponent who was one for eight in Math (it did not affect the outcome). Anyone else out there guess Pi because yesterday was 3/14?

I now have the fewest wins in my rundle and one of those was by forfeit. :oops:
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Some answers were regraded after I first looked at the scores last night. My win turned into a tie. Does anyone know what question it wss? I hadn't looked closely to see what my opponent had wrong before.