Tuesday, March 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

mcsheffrey wrote:I knew that I would catch some grief for the DD bets here. For the first one, I was just really uncertain about the category. It wasn't until the very last second that I came up with Bianca.
I, for one, disagree that there is an optimal, proper, or correct bet on a DD. I think it depends on on your risk profile and what your goal is for the wager. Most people aren't willing to do an all-or-nothing, especially late in the game. Do people frequently bet too little for the circumstances? Yes, but I think that's attributable to risk aversion (as well as just plain not knowing any better).

And congrats, Grant! Well done!
OSXpert wrote: 1.) He seemed to be over-pronouncing "Lolita" each time, but maybe he was correct.
Carol Anne commented on that as well. He seemed to be having a little too much fun with it. I think it might be attributable to some laciviousness on his part.

When the Winnebago clue came up (This company that makes the RV seen here shares its name with Wisconsin's largest inland lake -- thanks Archivers!) I thought it said it was named for Lake Winnebago. It seems like it was named after the county, which was named after the Winnnebago tribe. I've been to the Winnebago Reservation, but that's in Nebraska.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

1 one of my favorite bits of trivia is the use and definition of apostrophe - where an inanimate object is personified and addressed by using the appellation "o."
2 blew final jeopardy because my mental image of the capital of indonesia is "djakarta."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This was an interesting article about a reporter visiting Washington's antipode:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/tr ... ndrock.htm

And as long as we're talking about interesting maps, there is this one:

http://www.relativelyinteresting.com/wp ... -ocean.png
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Stealing from another thread:
MattKnowles wrote: Here is a list of the largest islands by population: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... population
One takeaway from that list that people should know: the most populous U.S. island is Long Island.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

alan tiger wrote: 2 blew final jeopardy because my mental image of the capital of indonesia is "djakarta."
So just create a mental image of the Island of Djava - problem solved!

I'm guessing your favorite tennis player must be Djokovic, by the way.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote:Mark, thanks for looking up about pre-celeb "Matt" Weiner. Does that mean that there is a way to come back after losing?--you just have to create an Emmy-winning powerhouse TV show?

What does "[Sirens]" mean in your notes?
I don't know for sure that June 1992 is Matt Weiner, but it's the only possible case I could find on my scoresheets. Since it was in a J! clue and not just the guy trying to remember I do feel that 1992 is more likely than not the correct year. What I did not have was end of November and December 1992 available to check, so there is a gap when it could have been a different Matt and I don't know it.

[Sirens] is the alert for the betting police as the 2nd place person in a 2-person FJ! round should not bet the farm in that particular wagering scenario.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

alietr wrote:One takeaway from that list that people should know: the most populous U.S. island is Long Island.
It's somewhat incredible that a country as large and with as much coastline as the United States has so few islands of any decent size. Especially if you limit yourself to the continental US.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mcsheffrey wrote:
alietr wrote:One takeaway from that list that people should know: the most populous U.S. island is Long Island.
It's somewhat incredible that a country as large and with as much coastline as the United States has so few islands of any decent size. Especially if you limit yourself to the continental US.
I was looking down the size list as well. Long Island is also the largest island in the Lower 48, which surprised me (Hawaii and quite a few Alaskan islands are larger).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I notice that the first posts about this game were in the morning on Tuesday. How is that possible? When / where does the show first air?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

morbeedo wrote:I notice that the first posts about this game were in the morning on Tuesday. How is that possible? When / where does the show first air?
I think there is an autobot that starts the threads every day about the same time.

To answer your question, the show first airs on a station in Montgomery, Alabama, at 9:30 Central Time. I get it at 2:30 on a Birmingham station.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote:
morbeedo wrote:I notice that the first posts about this game were in the morning on Tuesday. How is that possible? When / where does the show first air?
I think there is an autobot that starts the threads every day about the same time.

To answer your question, the show first airs on a station in Montgomery, Alabama, at 9:30 Central Time. I get it at 2:30 on a Birmingham station.
OK thanks. For whatever reason, I clicked on the topic early in the day and saw that the game discussion had started well before the show airs in NYC!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

morbeedo wrote:
Bamaman wrote:

OK thanks. For whatever reason, I clicked on the topic early in the day and saw that the game discussion had started well before the show airs in NYC!
We''re having a watch party next Tuesday at a local restaurant; the show won't end in our local market until 6:30 MDT ... now I'm wondering how many people at the watch party will have jumped the gun and will know the outcome before we get together......
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Golf

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote:I, for one, disagree that there is an optimal, proper, or correct bet on a DD. I think it depends on on your risk profile and what your goal is for the wager. Most people aren't willing to do an all-or-nothing, especially late in the game. Do people frequently bet too little for the circumstances? Yes, but I think that's attributable to risk aversion (as well as just plain not knowing any better).
In every game there is an optimal wager based on the known information. Jeopardy is no different, and most of the time (but not always) a DD wager is simple. After all, the wager that offers the best chance of winning is optimal. And this has nothing to do with risk aversion. If one is risk averse, they will never make the optimal wager because they are worried about what happens if they miss rather than what happens if they answer correctly.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Golf wrote:
alietr wrote:I, for one, disagree that there is an optimal, proper, or correct bet on a DD. I think it depends on on your risk profile and what your goal is for the wager. Most people aren't willing to do an all-or-nothing, especially late in the game. Do people frequently bet too little for the circumstances? Yes, but I think that's attributable to risk aversion (as well as just plain not knowing any better).
In every game there is an optimal wager based on the known information. Jeopardy is no different, and most of the time (but not always) a DD wager is simple. After all, the wager that offers the best chance of winning is optimal. And this has nothing to do with risk aversion. If one is risk averse, they will never make the optimal wager because they are worried about what happens if they miss rather than what happens if they answer correctly.
What I am assuming you are leaving unsaid is that one's comfort with the category falls under "...that offers the best chance of winning". If the category is "Obscure 12th Century Musical Instruments" and I haven't gotten a single clue right chances are I am not going to risk a lot on a wager. Nothing to do with math.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

heppm01 wrote: What I am assuming you are leaving unsaid is that one's comfort with the category falls under "...that offers the best chance of winning". If the category is "Obscure 12th Century Musical Instruments" and I haven't gotten a single clue right chances are I am not going to risk a lot on a wager. Nothing to do with math.
There are certain late-game circumstances where it is simply necessary to bet big regardless of the category. If your only reasonable hope of being in a competitive position for FJ rests on correctly responding to the DD you just hit, you should shoot to maximize the good you can get out of it. Too many J! contestants, hitting a DD on the last or penultimate clue with $9,000 to the leader's $20,000, would bet no more than $3,000. One must realize that if getting it wrong is a death sentence regardless of wager, then all downsides are equal and shooting the moon is optimal.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:28 pm On the Tea Leoni clue Matthew Weiner mentioned he was a J! champ in 1992 and I paid it little attention thinking it was one of those celeb appearances. It's hit me now that it must have been regular play since he was not famous back then.

Is this something we knew about previously? I'll have to flip through my notes for a one-day Matthew champ in 1992 although I suspect with a name like that there will be more than one.

Time to work on it.

ETA: I only found one champ Matt(hew) in 1992 not in the Archive.

June 16, 1992
Kay: (returning with 8600) 6700-6700=0
Frank: minus 600
Matt: 8600-4801=3799
[Sirens]

June 17
Matt: 6400+6400=12800
Eric: 6100+6099=12199
Mary Jane: 10400+2401=12801

Curious about the FJ! clues I checked "the resource" and found:

857 1992‑06‑17 LITERARY SUBJECTS HE'S THE SUBJECT OF IRVING STONE'S NOVEL "THE PASSIONS OF THE MIND"
856 1992‑06‑16 THE ELEMENTS THIS TOXIC, GASEOUS ELEMENT DERIVES ITS NAME FROM ITS GREENISH COLOR

Correct responses:
Spoiler
WHO IS SIGMUND FREUD?
WHAT IS CHLORINE?
Googling Jeopardy and "June 16, 1992" brought me to this article from a 25-year-old copy of the Weekly World News.