Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD AIRPORTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This city’s international airport is named for Antonio Carlos Jobim, who co-wrote a 1964 song

Grant McSheffrey: 23200+6800=30000 (2x = $53,400)
Elisabeth Lancaster: 3300+3300=6600
Brendon Stanton: 6900-299=6601

Correct response:
Spoiler
Rio de Janeiro (Elisabeth - Rio de Janiero) (Brendon – Brazil)

Daily Doubles
Grant: 4200+3000
Brendon: 3600+2500
Elisabeth: 10800-7500

Coryats
Grant: 20800
Elisabeth: 10800
Brendon: 6000

Combined: 37,600
MarkBarrett

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

The background reaction to Elisabeth getting the Melrose Place clue was funny.  I would guess Maggie was part of what could be heard.

Medusa for $2000 was the big bucks gift open to all players and viewers.

Dag Hammarskjöld guessed for Dr. Bunche was one of those out of left field guesses that are fun to laugh at from home and no fun to make on stage.

Grant:  Very nice extra gear demonstrated from the comfort of the champ's spot.  Too bad Elisabeth did not solve her ART Daily Double as you could have padded your wallet with another $6600 in a closer match.

WORLD AIRPORTS coupled with '60s music is not my kind of combination for the FJ! round. In a case of I can't even explain what I was thinking or going for I wrote Johannesburg.

Play the song and I can name it. Ask for the city of the song and I can name it. If the clue had wanted Stan Getz that would have been a miss as well. Brendon ruined the chance for another 3/3 by the players in having the country instead.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had never heard of that guy so I was sunk. I figured Buenos Aires was named for Peron so I guessed Mexico City.

Elizabeth should have gone bigger on that DD as she could have gotten within $2000 with one $2000 clue left. I got that one right in a complete guess.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Ipanema.

Does that have its own airport?

Apparently not...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Didn't recognize those Atlanta teams.

No rebound on Gibson? I thought that clue was an absolute coinflip.

Tramp is a verb?!

I honestly didn't know the word for "brick" in Spanish. Funny how, as fluent as I am, there are still so many words I don't know. The best example is how I managed to go five years without either using or hearing the word for "both" in Spanish.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas escapes my brain yet again.

I saw no way to figure out this FJ! at all.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

For whatever reason, Jobim struck me as Portuguese, which led me to Brazil, which led me to (WAG) that the song was The Girl from Ipanema. I either never knew or forgot where that is, so I guessed Rio. Oh it was almost a triple get? Huh. I'm guessing they just knew it, and didn't meander their way to a correct guess like I did :oops: At least it wasn't one of the airports from a recent TD, then I would've kicked myself.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

"Did he co-write 'I Left My Heart in San Francisco' maybe? Wait, was that 1964 or earlier... I don't have anything else, San Francisco it is."

It seemed like a pretty tough clue for all three contestants knowing the answer (even if one misread what the clue was looking for). I'm wondering what a lot of us seemed to miss there.
Leander

Post by Leander »

To nitpick the cluewriters a bit, Hershey does not own KitKat. Nestle owns it around the world, but licenses it to Hershey in the US.

Instaget FJ, but I knew Jobim wrote The Girl From Ipanema which led me to Rio.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Tally up another for Ipanema, although in retrospect I doubt it has an international airport.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Vowela wrote:"Did he co-write 'I Left My Heart in San Francisco' maybe? Wait, was that 1964 or earlier... I don't have anything else, San Francisco it is."

It seemed like a pretty tough clue for all three contestants knowing the answer (even if one misread what the clue was looking for). I'm wondering what a lot of us seemed to miss there.
It may be a generational thing but for us older folks, Girl from Ipanema is about as well known as any song and I suspect that most of us are familiar with the name of the co-writer. That Ipanema is a beach in Rio - I thought that was very common knowledge. So this was about as intsaget as it gets - for the older set, at least. :D

Add to the fact that the Olympics were just in Rio ...
DoubleOSimon
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by DoubleOSimon »

I just signed up an can't make posts, possibly I have to comment a few times?
The question I had though, if you are still interested in reading on, is generally about statistics as they pertain to final jeopardy wagering and specifically about contestants that are guaranteed to win (2x+2nd), how much do they leave on the table going for round numbers instead of maximizing? Happened tonight.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I'm another who responded "Ipanema" rather than "Rio de Janeiro".

I think I was once informed that Ipanema was just a neighborhood in Rio, but I didn't remember that tonight.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tramp is a verb?!

I saw no way to figure out this FJ! at all.

Yes. Tramp as a verb means to walk loudly.

Knew FJ.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Add me to the list that said Ipanema at the last second and realized too late that it isn't a city... :oops:
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

xxaaaxx wrote:For whatever reason, Jobim struck me as Portuguese, which led me to Brazil, which led me to (WAG) that the song was The Girl from Ipanema. I either never knew or forgot where that is, so I guessed Rio. Oh it was almost a triple get? Huh. I'm guessing they just knew it, and didn't meander their way to a correct guess like I did :oops: At least it wasn't one of the airports from a recent TD, then I would've kicked myself.
That was pretty much my reasoning to a T. Portuguese > Brazil > Girl From Ipanema > Ipanema Beach > Rio de Janeiro.

I was getting nervous/angry with myself when Elisabeth got her DD. I knew dadaism instantly and thought she had a good shot at it. As was pointed out though, in the end I would have been a little better off if she had got it right. Who knows though, maybe the extra nerves would have thrown me off enough to break my circuitous route to the FJ answer. I certainly can't complain about the end result!
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote:  
Dag Hammarskjöld guessed for Dr. Bunche was one of those out of left field guesses that are fun to laugh at from home and no fun to make on stage.

If you don't know Ralph Bunche - he used to be a trivia and crossword staple, but maybe not so much anymore - and don't know exactly what the Spingarn is, Hammerskjold is not a bad guess. He did win the Nobel himself, posthumously.
I got it easily, but to be honest I had forgotten Bunche won the Prize.
Jobim is an instant connect to Rio, but I admit I fretted for a few seconds, Is Ipanema just a beach...?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I guessed Madrid just to say something, but I had no earthly idea what song they were referring to even after I saw the correct responses.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I went with Ipanema. I, for some reason, thought it could have been a city, not realizing that it was just a neighborhood in Rio. Bad luck.