Thursday, March 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Placeholder for FJ! Round
bpmod
Rank

Re: Thursday, March 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod »

Placeholder for DJ! round
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Temporary post with the FJ! info:

INTERNATIONAL BEVERAGE BRANDS

The name of this popular beer brand founded in 1897 is a reference to the 20th century

Spoiler
What is Dos Equis?

Steve: 6800 - 0 = 6800
Grant: 11200 + 4601 = 15801 (3 days, $69,201)
Gretchen: 15800 - 6601 = 9199
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I guessed right on the BMS as Alex wanted the player and me to know more than just iPhone.

Gretchen only got to play one game of J!, so she had the right outfit on to get her ink on national TV.

Yesterday Grant could have made more money if an opponent solved a DD clue. Today was the reverse as Grant could have made a lot more money if he himself solved his missed DD clue.

I had to take the Hammer for the FJ! clue with a blank page. During the thirty seconds I played brainstorm for as many beers as I could think of with most of them from either Europe, Canada, Australia and Japan. Corona was the only one I had from south of the border.

After time was up and Alex gave his, "I don't often drink beer..." that gave away the correct response. I'm lucky I did not have the solve as I could not picture the spelling and wrote, "Dos Exis." I knew it was not right, but had a blank for the proper letters.

Grant: As we say around here, "best of retroactive luck" to make the TOC Tracker list tomorrow. You have a 1+L+2 for position entering the FJ! round. Avoid that missing 3 on your stat line.

paucle was a tremendous asset to the community and thank you for the somber reminder, Alan.

trainman: Thanks for getting something up for the FJ! round.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Beer and brewing is an absolute wheelhouse category for me, so--predictably--I totally blew it on FJ. Couldn't think of anything.
davey

Post by davey »

Would it have been so awful if Alex's first hint was a part of the clue? I didn't need the slogan, but "twenty in Roman numerals" was necessary for me to solve this... :twisted: Still, I think it's a pretty cool clue...
Golf

Post by Golf »

Steve just sat there in FJ and forfeited any chance of winning. There's plenty of boardies here that would actually play to win the game if given the opportunity. :roll:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Way to pull it out Champ!

I wasted a few seconds thinking if there's any play on words for the millennium nature of the 20th century and decided against it and started thinking of twenty in foreign languages. Stupidly, I thought of Dos Equis, instead of veinte for Spanish, so all the time I've spent staring blankly at the beer label erased my ability to count in Spanish. It sure paid off here. I wasn't sure how hard it was - I'm thinking that is a little known fact about the beer, and also the fact that it is 120 year old brand.

Champ got some hard river answers, the Yalu River answer was genius. As usual, Canadians know more World current events than Yanks, no way he should have gotten Iran Contra.

Gretchen, you played well and caught Grant off his A game I think. But he endured.

I start to figure out how to use the board, and they go and change the layout. Brace for more broken quotes and random comments.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:49 pm Would it have been so awful if Alex's first hint was a part of the clue? I didn't need the slogan, but "twenty in Roman numerals" was necessary for me to solve this... :twisted: Still, I think it's a pretty cool clue...
That might have been a bit too easy. I'm glad he explained the solution instead of clamming on it like he did on the French Revolution and the Ipanema TOM yesterday. I still don't know who the hell Jobim is and why'd they name the airport after a CO-writer of a second rate song? Different topic, no more to say here.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

When you're a librarian for a living, and talk about your book-collecting hobby during the interview segment, one would hope you would bet everything on a third-row general literature DD, especially given the game scenario then.

In fact, had she bet everything on her first DD ($1600 instead of $800), and then everything on the second one, Gretchen likely would have had a lock. Especially since Grant might have been forced to put even more into his own missed DD.

Incidentally, Grant betting $4601 was a very slight FJ wagering error. If I were in Gretchen's spot, I would have bet $2,199 if I lacked confidence in the category (to shut out Steve in 3rd place), which would have given me the win if I got it correct along with Grant.

Ergo, Grant should have gone for $6,801. Wouldn't have changed the results in terms of what Gretchen actually did (standard cover of 2nd place), although Grant would have ended up $2,200 richer.

LT: axiom, Good Neighbor policy, Less than Zero

FJ: So close...but I got to it after the 30 seconds had elapsed.

Congrats to the champion (luck favors the strong!) and hope to see him do it again tomorrow.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,800
46 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: axiom, Good Neighbor Policy, United Farm Workers, Less Than Zero, Service Employees International Union

Another nice win for Grant with the sole solve in FJ! Another wonderful FJ! clue. It took me about 10 seconds of running through every foreign beer brand I could think of before I got to Mexico and realized that the two X's must be Roman numerals. Stay clever, J! writers.
Sprinkles are for winners.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

Couldn't make it around to Mexico in time on FJ. Went with Heineken, hoping "Heine" was 20 in Dutch, but I knew what they were going for as soon as Alex asked about 20 in Roman numerals. Oh well. :roll:

What was the 'JACK' reference in the Paul Bunyan clue? I didn't think I saw 'JACK' mentioned in the clue, so I held off on answering Paul Bunyan, much to my chagrin.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

theamazingchong wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:11 amWhat was the 'JACK' reference in the Paul Bunyan clue? I didn't think I saw 'JACK' mentioned in the clue, so I held off on answering Paul Bunyan, much to my chagrin.
Lumberjack, I think.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

INSTAGET FJ...had Dos Equis just after Alex began reading.

Ran Got A Wife And Kids, Precious Gems, and New York Times Headlines; and almost ran Book Title Characters (Svengali tripped me up, dadgummit...although at least I didn't get him mixed up with Svengoolie AND I nailed the Friday DD).

Lach Trash: African Grey (Parrot), Good Neighbor Policy, and Less Than Zero.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I usually don't do well on word origin type FJs but I got this one. I never knew what the XX meant and got it on a lucky guess.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I was wondering how many times they've asked contestants to write in a foreign language. (Would they ever have a FJ where one would have to write "La Marseillaise," for example?)

I got to Dos Equis after rattling off every foreign brand I could think of - and I assumed that it would have had to be something that had been popular here since the 1980s or so - but "dos equis" didn't look right. So, would they have considered "XX"?
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Came to me pretty quickly because of Dos/Two, but I'm not a beer drinker, either, and couldn't think of what the second word was - my friends at work talked about "doeseckies" on May 5. I wonder how tolerant they are about the spelling of foreign names. Knew it started with Eq.

Very tough game otherwise - probably my worst in a while. The contestants were impressive.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:59 pm I was wondering how many times they've asked contestants to write in a foreign language. (Would they ever have a FJ where one would have to write "La Marseillaise," for example?)

I got to Dos Equis after rattling off every foreign brand I could think of - and I assumed that it would have had to be something that had been popular here since the 1980s or so - but "dos equis" didn't look right. So, would they have considered "XX"?
It's a brand name common in the United States, I don't think that qualifies as a foreign language clue. (And I think we were intended to get it from the label, though knowing Spanish couldn't hurt...) But if they were to ask for the French national anthem they'd surely be tolerant of spelling mistakes. Maybe I'm wrong, but I assume
from Wed's game
Spoiler
Rio de Janiero, as one player had it, would change the pronunciation in Portuguese...
I like this clue because I, for one, had never thought about the connection of the name and the label. But it's a pretty intuitive leap you'd think I would have made... :cry:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:08 pm But if they were to ask for the French national anthem they'd surely be tolerant of spelling mistakes. Maybe I'm wrong, but I assume
from Wed's game
Spoiler
Rio de Janiero, as one player had it, would change the pronunciation in Portuguese...
"La Marseillaise" was an FJ response in 2009; they negged "La Marsielle" and "the Marseilles." (Only third place got it right, but first place had a lock and second place underwagered, so the standings were exactly as they would have been if everyone had spelled it right.) Google cache of the J! Archive response page

As for the spoiler stuff,
Spoiler
given how Elis Regina pronounces "festa da Cumeira" (with four syllables in the last word) when singing "Águas de Março," "Janiero" might be an okay approximation of certain Portuguese pronunciations of "Janeiro."