2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Blue Lion »

dinghammer wrote:January 1: António Manuel de Oliveira Guterres of Portugal (where he was Prime Minister from 1995-2002) replaced Ban Ki-moon as Secretary-General of the United Nations.
He came up on Learned League on Tuesday.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Blue Lion wrote:
dinghammer wrote:January 1: António Manuel de Oliveira Guterres of Portugal (where he was Prime Minister from 1995-2002) replaced Ban Ki-moon as Secretary-General of the United Nations.
You'll note the post was made nearly at midnight :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That's a shame. I've been to Malta quite a few times, but only made it over to Gozo once, and for just a short time, so I never saw it. That was my first (and only) helicopter ride. It was in an big, old, Soviet-built helicopter. I can't say I had a lot of confidence in it.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

GOP healthcare plan clears committee hearing: http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/08/politics/ ... re-markup/
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Blue Lion wrote:
Sigh... I need to actually read this thread.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CBS has greenlit a prequel to The Big Bang Theory called Young Sheldon. Jim Parsons will narrate the comedy with Iain Armitage playing Sheldon Cooper at age 9 and in high school.

Sue Grafton's next alphabet book will be "Y" is for... and as far as I can determine that is the final title and not a placeholder for the rest to be filled in later. Is there nothing in that genre that would be fit for the letter Y? How are the J! writers supposed to make a clue out of that?

2019 (remind me in two years for the proper thread :) ) will have "Z" is for Zero.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Ellipsis doesn't start with Y. That title makes no sense.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Mitch Seavey won the 2017 Iditarod sled race. It's his 3rd. He's also the oldest winner of the race.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Volante

Post by Volante »

The Internet has spoken and the shoe, the wheelbarrow and the thimble tokens of Monopoly are dead.
They have been replaced by a T-Rex, a rubber duck and a penguin.

The other tokens: dog, cat, battleship, racecar and top hat, survived even though the voting was (as best as I can tell) a free for all.

https://gizmodo.com/america-only-voted- ... 1793308344
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:17 pm The Internet has spoken and the shoe, the wheelbarrow and the thimble tokens of Monopoly are dead.

The other tokens: dog, cat, battleship, racecar and top hat, survived even though the voting was (as best as I can tell) a free for all.

What, no Boaty McBoatface? I demand a recount! :lol:
Volante

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:44 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:17 pm The Internet has spoken and the shoe, the wheelbarrow and the thimble tokens of Monopoly are dead.

Oh, right, that's back in the news!

Boaty McBoatface (now a 3.5m long autonomous submarine) is en route to science in Antarctica
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39232970
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:45 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Oh, right, that's back in the news!

Boaty McBoatface (now a 3.5m long autonomous submarine) is en route to science in Antarctica
And people were concerned about the dearth of seriousness in the wake of Boaty McBoatface but it looks like the opposite is true. I doubt people would be as interested in research submarines if it were called the HMS Solemnity
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Volante wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:45 pmBoaty McBoatface (now a 3.5m long autonomous submarine) is en route to science in Antarctica
You just KNOW that this is going to come up.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:45 pmBoaty McBoatface (now a 3.5m long autonomous submarine) is en route to science in Antarctica
You just KNOW that this is going to come up.
That's why I posted it! I've a good track record for these things! :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Chuck Berry has died at the age of 90.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 pm Chuck Berry has died at the age of 90.
Berry was a horrible human being, but also one of the greatest showmen, pioneers, and musicians of the 20th century. Way, way greater and more influential than Elvis, in my view. And his stuff stands up way better than absolutely any other rock n' roll of the 50s.

RIP indeed to a legend.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 pm Chuck Berry has died at the age of 90.
There's lots of potential trivia material in Chuck Berry's career:

He was in the original class (1986) of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees.

His only Billboard #1 hit was the double-entendre-filled "My Ding-A-Ling" (1972). However, six Chuck Berry songs are on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 best rock songs of all time (2004 edition):
1. “Johnny B. Goode” (1958).
39. “Maybellene” (1955).
118. “Rock And Roll Music” (1957).
128. “Roll Over Beethoven” (1956).
286. "Sweet Little Sixteen” (1958).
323. "School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes The Bell)" (1957).

In 1962-63, he served a year and a half in prison after being convicted of violating the Mann Act.

He was famous for his showmanship, notably his "duck walk" onstage.

Side note: One of the first concerts I went to was to see Chuck Berry, who opened for Blood Sweat and Tears in New Jersey in the fall of 1968.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Yes, when they had the voting for the new tokens, they let you pick an entire set of eight as opposed to just three. My choices were the horse (an ode to my personal growing up favorite man on the horse token that was in at least the 60s/70s Monopoly sets...the set my family used was from my mom's childhood), the trumpet, the record player, the penguin, and to keep the cat, dog, battleship, and old school car (they had a more modern sportscar as one of the potential new tokens).

Personally, I wish they weren't so insistent on changing the tokens. As diehard as it may sound, for those who truly wish to play with different tokens, they can get two or three or more of the different theme* versions of Monopoly, and mix and match tokens from those if need be.

* - Proud owner of the Fantastic Four, University of North Carolina/Chapel Hill, and The Andy Griffith Show editions myself.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Blue Lion wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:07 pm

In 1962-63, he served a year and a half in prison after being convicted of violating the Mann Act.
Berry had more jail stints than just that. He was convicted of armed robbery in high school and was in jail from 1944 to 1947. In 1962 he transported a 14 year-old across state lines to have sex with her (Berry was married from 1948 until his death, despite cheating on his wife hundreds, if not thousands of times), and was in jail again for 120 days for tax evasion in 1979.

I'm most impressed that he managed to avoid jail time in 1990 for installing a video camera in a woman's restroom and recording videos from it, especially since one was a minor. (He got a 6 month suspended sentence from that plus drug charges stemming from a raid on his house by police)

However, I imagine Jeopardy clues will focus more on Berry's musical accomplishments than his infamous personal life.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Journalist Jimmy Breslin has died at age 88. He won a Pulitzer Prize for commentary, and ran for deputy mayor of New York City on a ticket headed by Norman Mailer in 1969. He also wrote Can't Anyone Here Play This Game?, an account of the New York Mets' infamous 1962 season.