Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by Woof »

skullturf wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:This is only the second math question I've ever missed. I just read skullturf's solution (posted elsewhere); turns out that Calculus II methods are enough to get close, but you need more high-powered machinery to distinguish (rigorously) between two plausible lines of reasoning that lead to the correct answer of e and the incorrect answer of 2e (which was my answer).
Yes, I was going to mention here, just in case some folks are interested: The first thoughts I posted this morning are here and then my thoughts from a couple of hours later are here.
Thanks! I see that the error with my attempt at an analytical solution was evaluating the limit of [(n+1)/n]^n as 1 rather than e. If I ever learned that definition of e as being the limit of (1+1/n)^n I forgot it long ago...
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

That feeling when you think "I will just see if I can come up with another answer while I work on my computer and OH MY LORD, HOW IS ALREADY 11:53???? IS THE CLOCK ON MY LAPTOP EVEN RIGHT????? AHHHHH!!!!! POOOOIIIINNNNNTTSSSSSS..... <frantic clicking> Submit... SUBMITTED
on March 16, 2017 at 8:54 PM (Pacific Time). <phew> I didn't forfeit. Wait a minute.... Submissions due by 1:00am ET / 10:00pm PT (see below for worldwide due times). Oh man!
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

Oh man, I submitted "Desi and Lucy" yesterday on a guess and it was the only thing preventing me from my first six-pack. Never heard of Desilu.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

I almost answered "You've got to be kidding" on that math Q for my first attempt at a best wrong answer, but then I plugged in a couple of numbers for the heck of it. 2.7 it is.

Me, after I submitted: You mean that's right? :o
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

That Desilu question was very similar to a question in my 1DS last year.

This has been a nightmare back half of a season thus far. After starting 7-0-1 I am now 7-9-2. On the bright side my DE is an amazing .808 right now.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had two RTFQ moments yesterday. I overthought the Old Maid question, and then was so proud of myself for coming up with Ball and Arnaz when that wasn't what the question wanted. Luckily I only assigned a 1 for the former, and my opponent only got the Old Maid question, so I was able to escape again with a win. I also already have 5 ties this season, which may be my most ever.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I managed to earn a 9(5)-9(6) tie. My opponent is out there somewhere kicking himself right around now. In fact, when I knew I was drinking the beer, I used to assign my defensive points somewhat randomly until someone point out that this could happen. (FTR, I went with Grinch on the 50/50 with Scrooge. I guess I should have figured that it was too wordy for the Grinch.)
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

It helps to have been in a few productions of "A Christmas Carol" where they use the actual Dickens text for narration. :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

On my Win Ben Stein's Money episode, they asked about Desilu and specifically mentioned we were filming on the same lot they did. I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it right either way.

Unfortunately, my opponent got it wrong, and I had assigned a 0 to it, thinking it was pretty easy, and given their above average TV/Film scores. Urgh. Turned another win into a loss.

One of these days I'll figure out how to play defense.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I'm doing a double LL facepalm whis week:

I've been reading Ed Ward's Book The History of Rock & Roll, Volume 1. Last night, I came across the "Heartbreak Hotel" story. If only I'd started that book a few days earlier.

Yesterday, I overthought the Scrooge question. Had I read the passage out loud, I would have recognized the writing style as that of Dickens, who was paid by the word. Sure enough, it cost me; I lost 6(5)-9(6).
Woof

Post by Woof »

After one of the most bizarre seasons yet, where -- despite an above-average TCA for me -- I was flirting with relegation for the first time thanks to a league-leading CAA and bad defensive decisions, I finally caught a couple of breaks and have my head above water again. Yesterday's 9(6)-2(3) win was the most lopsided I can recall getting and certainly a rarity these past few seasons.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

StevenH wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:28 amI also already have 5 ties this season, which may be my most ever.
It's tied with your LL62 season for your most ever. You can do this!
In and out of the pool four times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Always nice to wake up and see that you beat a TOC winner. Diaghilev? You could have given me several lifetimes on that one and I wouldn't have gotten it. 14% is shockingly high. I had that pegged for single digits.
Woof

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:15 am Always nice to wake up and see that you beat a TOC winner. Diaghilev? You could have given me several lifetimes on that one and I wouldn't have gotten it. 14% is shockingly high. I had that pegged for single digits.
Hmmm... I thought that early 20th C Russian titan of choreography was Pavlovian for Diaghilev... but I did give it a 3 for defense. :mrgreen:
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I'm a little miffed at the gaming question. I was going to put "dominoes" in because it felt right to me, but then I noticed "implement" was singular so I went back to the drawing board since you wouldn't play a game with one domino. I came up with "hourglass" or "Spinner" and chose spinner, but I really wish the question had ended on "implements", because I definitely would have had the correct answer. That said, I've never heard of any of those games.

I still won my match (against my pal and referee) so its not too big of a deal.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I only remember Diaghilev because I had a question about him and the Ballet Russes de Monte Carlo in one of my games. They come up not infrequently on the show.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Dice - 32% vs Dominoes - 18% and Tchaikovsky - 18% vs Daighilev - 14% are both answers where the MCWA is greater than the correct answer. I wonder if we've ever had this occur on two questions on the same day before.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:15 am Always nice to wake up and see that you beat a TOC winner.
That is a treat, isn't it? Congrats!
Woof wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:09 am
alietr wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:15 amDiaghilev? You could have given me several lifetimes on that one and I wouldn't have gotten it. 14% is shockingly high. I had that pegged for single digits.
Hmmm... I thought that early 20th C Russian titan of choreography was Pavlovian for Diaghilev... but I did give it a 3 for defense. :mrgreen:
Diaghilev is Pavlovian for that, but apparently it's less well known than I thought... whereas "triangle numbers" is far better known. And I was riveted by the first couple seasons of House of Cards but had forgotten the first scene... whereas I'll never forget the scene when he explores the delta with Kate Mara.

But yeah, it surprises me that Colby missed both Diaghilev, which seems canonical especially for a quiz bowler, and habeas corpus, which I learned in high school is Latin for "you shall have the body."
In and out of the pool four times
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Yesterday ended my 7-game stretch of not losing. I typed "habeas corpus" for Q6 but changed it to "writ of habeas" because I thought that was the technical name. It was not accepted. I still would've lost the match, though.
I forgot what "triangular numbers" were, but I recognized the pattern and got 10, 15, 21, 28... and finally the answer of 36. Turns out that's how triangular numbers are generated, although "fifth and final blank" implied 36 was the last triangular number. :?
Hoping for a third lap
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Habeas corpus - one of those phrases I never bothered to understand until I kept reading about it in the news following 45's first Muslim ban executive order on immigration.

NHO triangle numbers but I saw the pattern and felt good about 36. I had no trouble with the wording of the clue "fifth and final blank", just took that to mean he only wanted one number, the last one in the series. It didn't even occur to me to wonder if the series was finite or not.

Put me down as one who got Diaghilev - mainly from Nijinsky. Suspect more would have gotten this one if prompted with Ballets Russes.