FJs for the 3/13/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 3/13/17 week?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Among the places he visited on his second missionary journey were Galatia & Corinth
88%
This is the most populous city on the world’s most populous island; both begin with the same letter
70%
This city’s international airport is named for Antonio Carlos Jobim, who co-wrote a 1964 song
65%
The name of this popular beer brand founded in 1897 is a reference to the 20th century
47%
William Goldman asked his daughters what he should write about; they said these 2 things, which he combined
41%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
14%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
COUNTRIES' POLITICAL PARTIES $2000: The Unified Lumumbist Party
23%
STATE HOLIDAYS $800: Arbor Day was first celebrated in 1872 in this state; other states soon followed
28%
'TIS IRISH LITERATURE $800: In the satiric 1729 "A Modest Proposal", this author suggested dining on poor Irish children to control poverty
76%
John the Baptist was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
4%
Airport + Antonio Carlos Jobim was the more important part of the Wednesday FJ! clue that helped me solve it.
14%
Antonio Carlos Jobim + 1964 song was the more important part of the Wednesday FJ! clue that helped me solve it.
42%
I have tasted Dos Equis beer.
44%
Confusing William Goldman for William Golding came into play (whether right or wrong with your response) for the Friday FJ! clue.
30%
NCAA basketball tourney games caused J! to not air at the usual time in my market at least once this week.
18%

Total votes: 135

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 3/13/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BIBLICAL WHO'S WHO

3/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Among the places he visited on his second missionary journey were Galatia & Corinth

3/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CAPITAL CITIES

3/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This is the most populous city on the world’s most populous island; both begin with the same letter

3/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD AIRPORTS

3/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This city’s international airport is named for Antonio Carlos Jobim, who co-wrote a 1964 song

3/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL BEVERAGE BRANDS

3/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this popular beer brand founded in 1897 is a reference to the 20th century

3/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY BOOKS

3/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
William Goldman asked his daughters what he should write about; they said these 2 things, which he combined

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Paul (Saul)
Jakarta
Rio de Janeiro
Dos Equis
princesses & brides
The players were 10/15 (66.67%) with a 3-3-2-1-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested clue correct by the players, followed by a triple stumper and one the players had correct.

COUNTRIES' POLITICAL PARTIES $2000: The Unified Lumumbist Party

STATE HOLIDAYS $800: Arbor Day was first celebrated in 1872 in this state; other states soon followed

'TIS IRISH LITERATURE $800: In the satiric 1729 "A Modest Proposal", this author suggested dining on poor Irish children to control poverty

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Nebraska
Jonathan Swift
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 3/13/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Johannesburg
No guess on beer and no taste as far as I know.*
horses & ponies
Knew it was not the LotF guy, yet still did not help me get the Goldman names.
J! airs on an ABC affiliate locally, so no preemption.
I also can testify that the CBS affiliate in Montgomery, AL aired J! at 9:30 CT each morning this week.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Fri - princesses and brides

No chance on DRC
Nebraska would've been a DD get, but wasn't confident enough to ring in.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Said "Ipanema" instead of "Rio", which was silly of me.

-M
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got that the Lumumbist Party was referencing Patrice Lumumba, but I forgot which country he was associated with.

My mom was in the room during Friday's FJ, and stepped on my thought process by asking whether Goldman wrote The Princess Bride, just as I was starting to remember who Goldman was (after I had to remind myself that Goldman was not Golding). I'm counting a get because I'm sure I would have gotten there not long after that had I not been interrupted.

I didn't check the "tasted Dos Equis" box because although I think I'm more likely to have done than not, I don't know for sure.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Semi wild guess at Dos Equis, as the only brand I could think of with a number in its name. I have drunk it more than once.

Not able to narrow down Lumumba to the right country

Jeopardy airs on ABC in my market, so no pre-emption

Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No guess Wednesday. Nothing about the clue clicked.
I may or may not have tasted Dos Equis. Not sure.
Golding didn't come to mind, but I have made that mistake before.
And Jeopardy! airs here during the afternoon break in the tournament they have, so no interruptions.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I have heard the Goldman-Princess Bride connection come up on J! before, but I couldn't pull it
I knew that Lumumba was a name from African history, but that was as far as my knowledge went
I don't ever drink beer, so when I fill out the weekly survey, I do not check the box about having tasted Dos Equis. Stay sober, my friends.
Sprinkles are for winners.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

One of my better weeks.

Portuguese-sounding name + 1964 led me to Girl from Ipanema and Rio. I'm atheist, but Paul's (aka Saul of Tarsus) epistles to the Galatians are well known. Jonathan Swift was instaget for author of "A Modest Proposal", which is one of the most bitterly satirical works ever written - that didn't really come across in the clue. Patrice Lumumba and the Congo was a fairly straightforward TOM. I have had Dos Equis; I don't drink beer a lot but it's pretty good (if no Guinness). Had no clue on Arbor Day.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I forgot to explain the * on my beer response for tasting.

The last time I had a taste of beer was in 2000 when my hockey team won the championship and we celebrated at the rink's refreshment area. I have no idea what the brand was, so I did not check the box, figuring the odds were very unlikely I've ever had Dos Equis.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Ipanema here, too. I've been to Brazil, but not to Rio.

Got Dos Equis with about enough time to write XX, but gave myself credit for that.

Is there a problem with the vote count? The new software seems to be treating it differently than (from?) the old.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
No clue on Arbor Day....I have no strong memory of drinking Dos Equis, but I've had enough Mexican food that it's more likely than not... ;)
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Just earlier that day, driving home from the Y and listening to the radio playing a song I cannot now remember by an artist named Patrice something or other, I was reminded of the name Patrice Lumumba and planned to look it up online when I got home. I knew he had been important in African politics, but I didn't have the country mentally locked down. Of course, by the time I got home, it had slipped my aging mind, so I never researched it. Seeing it on Jeopardy! that night was most definitely an AAARGH! moment for me. Perhaps NOW I will remember DRC for Lumumba/Lumumbist/anything Lumumb-ish.

As for Arbor Day - I might have guessed Nebraska on a DD, with more time to think about it, simply because in 1872, Nebraska was the most recent state to have attained statehood. But that would have been pure WAG on my part, and since that's not exactly an obvious reason for Arbor Day to have begun there, even that much didn't really occur to me in the time frame of a regular clue.

ETA: I've worked in bookstores and shelved lots of fiction, and I just knew that there would be lots of confusion with the Goldman/Golding issue.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

No guess for the Arbor Day state
Jobim sounded Portuguese > "The Girl from Ipanema" > Rio
I have a Dos Equis pint glass in my collection of promotional drinkware, so I must have had it at some point
No confusing Goldman with Golding
Jeopardy! airs locally on an NBC affiliate, so no scheduling issues
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:( :( :(

I know Jonathan Swift wrote A Modest Proposal, but my stupid brain just kept going, "Thomas Swift. No, that's not it. Thomas Swift? No, that's still wrong..." :roll:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MDaunt wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:42 pm Is there a problem with the vote count? The new software seems to be treating it differently than (from?) the old.
Yes, looks like it's calculating the percentages based on the total number of votes rather than the total number of unique voters.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Hardly ever watch live, but was way too slow with Dos Equis to count it. Btw, Jeopardy, "foreign" isn't a dirty word. Some of my best Buds have been foreign.

Lumumba was fresh in the mind because I just finished reading a collection of Malcolm X speeches when he was fresh from an African trip.

I had to sort out Goldman and Golding, but once both were in my head I had no doubt as to who wrote what. Also, Lords and flies don't seem very girly.

Potentially Portuguese name plus 1964 made Ipanema-->Rio sound good.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MDaunt wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:42 pm Is there a problem with the vote count? The new software seems to be treating it differently than (from?) the old.
The old (and proper, for us) way of calculating percentages was courtesy of some programming that Todd did for us. The new software version is incompatible with it. If someone is good with programming and wants to take a whack at it, please let me know. Otherwise, we will try to get it figure out eventually.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

alietr wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:42 am
The old (and proper, for us) way of calculating percentages was courtesy of some programming that Todd did for us. The new software version is incompatible with it. If someone is good with programming and wants to take a whack at it, please let me know. Otherwise, we will try to get it figure out eventually.
It's calculating percentage by dividing by the total number of registered members. And when it's lower than 0.5%, it displays "No Votes". I might be able to fix it, but what language is the programming in?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(