Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by seaborgium »

sarisson wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:59 pm Yesterday ended my 7-game stretch of not losing. I typed "habeas corpus" for Q6 but changed it to "writ of habeas" because I thought that was the technical name. It was not accepted. I still would've lost the match, though.
My response was "(writ of) habeas corpus" and it was accepted.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I could picture the dude (Diaghilev) in my head (kind of like a younger version of the Monopoly Man) and knew right away that was who they wanted, but no way was I pulling his name and less likely I was pulling a remotely close spelling.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:13 pmPut me down as one who got Diaghilev - mainly from Nijinsky. Suspect more would have gotten this one if prompted with Ballets Russes.
Diaghilev and Ballets Russes have both come up on Jeopardy. I mangled Diaghilev's spelling, but fortunately, Thorsten was forgiving with respect to that.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Got Diaghilev, got the triangle number (I got a math question right! Whoo hooo!!)...thought #6 might be habeas corpus, but didn't feel sure enough to type it in.

One of these days, I will learn to type something, anything in the answer box just in case.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:52 pm And I was riveted by the first couple seasons of House of Cards but had forgotten the first scene... whereas I'll never forget the scene when he explores the delta with Kate Mara.

I just started watching HoC about 3 or 4 months ago, so I was kinda surprised when I saw the correct answer (I guessed Bates Motel) and that I've already forgotten just how it started. :)
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:16 pm
sarisson wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:59 pm Yesterday ended my 7-game stretch of not losing. I typed "habeas corpus" for Q6 but changed it to "writ of habeas" because I thought that was the technical name. It was not accepted. I still would've lost the match, though.
My response was "(writ of) habeas corpus" and it was accepted.
The question was,"[w]hat is the legal term for the order by a judge that demands that a prisoner be brought before the court to determine the legality of the imprisonment?" A writ is an order by a judge, so adding "writ of" to a response of "habeas corpus" is essentially just repeating part of what you were given in the question, so it can't be wrong.

On the other hand, if you answered "writ of habeas", that's wrong because it isn't the complete answer. It's like answering "All Quiet" for "All Quiet on the Western Front". Again, adding "writ of" doesn't do anything because it's repeating information given in the question.

Other commonly known writs/orders issued by judges include writs of mandamus and writs of attachment.

People might have been led astray from watching lawyer shows on TV where the characters shorthand the term to "habeas" in conversation. That's undoubtedly also the case in real life for lawyers. It shows that you should beware of giving shorthanded references in trivia contests.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:37 pm
reddpen wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:52 pm And I was riveted by the first couple seasons of House of Cards but had forgotten the first scene... whereas I'll never forget the scene when he explores the delta with Kate Mara.

I just started watching HoC about 3 or 4 months ago, so I was kinda surprised when I saw the correct answer (I guessed Bates Motel) and that I've already forgotten just how it started. :)
I didn't know the answer, and just tried to figure out shows in their fourth season. Bates crossed my mind, but it is currently in its fifth season. With all the online series, HOC did come to mind but I didn't know how old it is. I remembered Blacklist started in 2013, so I went with that.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Huh. Duterte has two Ts...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:12 am Huh. Duterte has two Ts...
I knew that one, but given his usually leniency, I was surprised Duerte was rejected.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I was completely unable to distinguish the flag of the Philippines
from that of Puerto Rico
and from that of Cuba.

I almost guessed Raul Castro, since he was the only politician from the three countries I could name, but he would never dress so spiffily. I did get to the Philippines based on the man's appearance, but had no memory of his name. Aquino was a desperate guess. I'm happy with the rare 2(3)-1(2) win in A though!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:35 am
I knew that one, but given his usually leniency, I was surprised Duerte was rejected.
I swear that I never heard that first 't' before either and was about to complain but first I went back to check out old clips of The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight, and there it was! :shock:

Less forgivable was missing Desiigner a second time...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:38 am I did get to the Philippines based on the man's appearance, but had no memory of his name. Aquino was a desperate guess.

Yep, exactly the same as I did! I wonder if Aquino would have been the MCWA if not for the misspelling.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

boson wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:38 am I'm happy with the rare 2(3)-1(2) win in A though!
3(2)-0(1) win in A. Never experienced anything like that before in all of my seasons. Both of my correct answers were reasoned guesses: allspice and Russia... had no idea on the other four questions. A 0(0)-0(1) tie in A would have been pretty wild.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:02 am
boson wrote:
bomtr wrote:Alietr, cmp146 and jfrumkin - you are all 100+ pts higher in correct question vs your career in the same rundle as me. Does it feel different to you or to anyone else?
Either the questions are easier this season, or they're more up my alley. I can assure you, I'm not 100 points smarter than I have been.
Reversion to the mean sucks.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:02 am
boson wrote:
bomtr wrote:Alietr, cmp146 and jfrumkin - you are all 100+ pts higher in correct question vs your career in the same rundle as me. Does it feel different to you or to anyone else?
Either the questions are easier this season, or they're more up my alley. I can assure you, I'm not 100 points smarter than I have been.
Yup - reversion is happening. But I'm still ~140 points higher than my career qpct, and you are ~70 points higher. There is still only one member of our rundle who isn't doing better than their historical average (http://learnedleague.com/standings_ex.php?72&A_Magnolia and sort on QvH).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 pm
I'd be happy to make it back to the mean. I'm dead last in my rundle in QvH right now (well, except for the guy who has forfeited every match this season, but yeah ...).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I'm still slightly above my mean Q% but fortunately my DE has increased to .717, much closer to my mean DE. I ended up with a 5(4)-4(4) win yesterday despite losing the 50/50/90 on France vs. Russia. I even had Russia written in before deciding that, in 1872, memories of Napoleon would still be fresh enough to influence treaties.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I only answered 2 questions yesterday, so did my opponent (top 3 in my rookie rundle). He assigned me the 2nd worst possible defense. Once again, I stole defeat from the jaws of victory by assigning the worst defense possible.

Urgh.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yesterday I once again managed a win with only 2 questions correct. The questions have just been brutal for me since the end of the first 8 MDs. The Commish must take it personally when someone starts a thread saying that it's the easiest season ever, but at least I am still having the rare lucky season with a low CAA.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I am still shocked at how many of us made the same Duerte spelling error. I'm fine with it being marked incorrect, it just seems like such a collective brainfart.