Thursday, March 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Thursday, March 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:34 pm As for the spoiler stuff,
Spoiler
given how Elis Regina pronounces "festa da Cumeira" (with four syllables in the last word) when singing "Águas de Março," "Janiero" might be an okay approximation of certain Portuguese pronunciations of "Janeiro."
Spoiler
The correct word is "cumeeira." The extra E adds an extra syllable, so it's more "Janiero" than "Janeiro." Regardless, I think J! should accept either one.
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Oh yeah, that's right.
Spoiler
I kept that stuff in spoiler tags because it pertains to another episode's FJ.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

Took me about five seconds to connect up the 20th century with XX in Roman numerals to Dos Equis beer. I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink Guinness.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm wondering how common is "Pergo" (is that even the spelling?) flooring, as I've NHOI, and thus didn't have a chance on that clue. (I'm assuming it's an American thing, but I can't think that something like flooring would only have a presence on one side of the border giving our trading patterns.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

If it makes you feel better dhkendall, I too had never heard of Pergo flooring until this episode, and I consider myself quite good at the Business and Industry/Companies/related categories. That said, that Zodiac Rhyme Time drove me bonkers as someone who usually and often enjoys the astrology categories.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
Leander

Post by Leander »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:55 am I'm wondering how common is "Pergo" (is that even the spelling?) flooring, as I've NHOI, and thus didn't have a chance on that clue. (I'm assuming it's an American thing, but I can't think that something like flooring would only have a presence on one side of the border giving our trading patterns.)
Pergo is a Swedish company that sells laminate flooring in a lot of countries and is carried in Home Depot and Lowes across the US and I can see from their website in Canada too. However, I would think that if you have never been in the market for flooring alternatives, you might not be aware of them.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:25 pm Oh yeah, that's right.
Spoiler
I kept that stuff in spoiler tags because it pertains to another episode's FJ.
Good point. Fixed.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Leander wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:21 am
dhkendall wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:55 am I'm wondering how common is "Pergo" (is that even the spelling?) flooring, as I've NHOI, and thus didn't have a chance on that clue. (I'm assuming it's an American thing, but I can't think that something like flooring would only have a presence on one side of the border giving our trading patterns.)
Pergo is a Swedish company that sells laminate flooring in a lot of countries and is carried in Home Depot and Lowes across the US and I can see from their website in Canada too. However, I would think that if you have never been in the market for flooring alternatives, you might not be aware of them.
It's definitely the Kleenex of laminate flooring.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

I'm amazed I have never heard of Pergo beforehand with all of the HGTV viewing I do on/off...BUT I highly doubt the hosts/hostesses/personalities would be allowed to badmouth a brand, no matter how low quality it may be. A design and/or flooring material (and Pergo's material very much reads/sounds like something that would be criticized/ridiculed and then demolished), yes. But the actual brand of that material would be and is very evidently off-limits because as I'm sitting here thinking about it, no, the brands, even for the good/better and approved materials, have yet to ever been mentioned on HGTV's fare outside of commercials.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
clprez

Post by clprez »

Maven wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:44 pm I'm amazed I have never heard of Pergo beforehand with all of the HGTV viewing I do on/off...BUT I highly doubt the hosts/hostesses/personalities would be allowed to badmouth a brand, no matter how low quality it may be. A design and/or flooring material (and Pergo's material very much reads/sounds like something that would be criticized/ridiculed and then demolished), yes. But the actual brand of that material would be and is very evidently off-limits because as I'm sitting here thinking about it, no, the brands, even for the good/better and approved materials, have yet to ever been mentioned on HGTV's fare outside of commercials.
I learned of Pergo from those commercials for Lumber Liquidators by Bob Vila, so it's been around for a long time.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Maven wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:44 pm I'm amazed I have never heard of Pergo beforehand with all of the HGTV viewing I do on/off...BUT I highly doubt the hosts/hostesses/personalities would be allowed to badmouth a brand, no matter how low quality it may be.
What makes you think it's low quality?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I'm not sure why people say Pergo is such low quality. All of our previous laminate floorings started buckling around toilets or sinks after about two or three years. In 2001, my parents got Pergo flooring in their bathrooms, and it still hasn't buckled.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thanks to the penguin.

Aerosol, axiom, aquifer, armory, African gray parrot? Yeah, chalk me up with another 0/5 in a word category.

iPhone did not need a BMS since the clue already implied the "latest model".

City pertaining to a Jack cheese = durrrr, I dunno. I just didn't put two and two together because I didn't know Monterey is in California.

WLT Beijing or Phantom of the Opera at $400?

Didn't recognize anything in Rivers or Labor.

Lach Trash: Cancer romancer.

Instaget FJ!
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I remember Pergo very well because while househunting together a friend asked an agent if some flooring was Pergo and the agent responded, "Yeah, yeah, Prego, that's what it is." I'm guessing that pasta sauce wouldn't be a great flooring alternative.

Does anybody know under what circumstances it's acceptable to give initials as an answer? When I answered United Fruit Workers, could I have just said "UFW"? I wondered the same thing on the $2000 clue when I was sure it was SEIU but wasn't sure about the 'I'.

Oh, and the funniest moment while watching this episode was on the Monterey Jack clue. All I could come up with was San Jose and then watched "December me" get the right answer.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mcsheffrey wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:48 pm Does anybody know under what circumstances it's acceptable to give initials as an answer? When I answered United Fruit Workers, could I have just said "UFW"? I wondered the same thing on the $2000 clue when I was sure it was SEIU but wasn't sure about the 'I'.
If they're not asking for what the initials stand for and as long as the initialism is commonly used (e.g., it's part of their branding), they'll accept it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

mcsheffrey wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:48 pm Oh, and the funniest moment while watching this episode was on the Monterey Jack clue. All I could come up with was San Jose and then watched "December me" get the right answer.
I was really impressed you got that clue, being a Canadian. Easy for a long-time Bay Area resident like me who has visited there many times to get, but I imagine it's obscure for anyone out of state, let alone out of country.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

IronNeck wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 pm
mcsheffrey wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:48 pm Oh, and the funniest moment while watching this episode was on the Monterey Jack clue. All I could come up with was San Jose and then watched "December me" get the right answer.
I was really impressed you got that clue, being a Canadian. Easy for a long-time Bay Area resident like me who has visited there many times to get, but I imagine it's obscure for anyone out of state, let alone out of country.
We do have Monterey Jack cheese up here too, you know.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:29 am
IronNeck wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 pm
We do have Monterey Jack cheese up here too, you know.
As do cheese lovers all over the US...Kraft 8-ounce brick, available at Walmarts everywhere...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kraft-Natura ... z/10295343
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Maven wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:23 am ...almost ran Book Title Characters (Svengali tripped me up, dadgummit...although at least I didn't get him mixed up with Svengoolie
Gretchen who had the incorrect response, "Svengoolie", was a guest on the show yesterday. The host gave her a t-shirt and an autographed rubber chicken. The host also mentioned that J! staffer Suzanne Stone had tipped him off about Gretchen's moment.

You add to your 15 minutes of fame wherever you can get it.