Under Construction

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Under Construction

Post by triviawayne »

$190 to go--let's get it done.

There is a ton of work and personal time and money very few people put into these sites, and I for one am grateful!

This community wouldn't be a community without this community--we can keep it alive.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:37 pm Don't know if it's just me or not, but the J-Archive is back working again.
Wouldn't it be something if it was just you? ;-)

Thanks to all who contributed.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:55 pm I'm also hoping that the J-Archive site would make its return since the February 12 and 13, 1992 episodes are now on Youtube in 1 video so what would happen to these 2 episodes if Sony blocks that video worldwide from Youtube before the J-Archive site opens up again. Let's hope that Daniel(kingskip) downloads these that video plus the March 12, 1992 episode to add to his collection so that we can add these 3 episodes to the J-Archive when it opens again.
I did get the March 12, 1992 episode. But where is February 12 and 13? I can't find it.
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

Spoiler tags aren't working for posts before 11/29/16 10/7/16.

[Edit: It looks like they are in the process of being restored — I will be patient! :)]
Last edited by cheezguyty on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

kingskip wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:46 pm
Ivoryface86 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:55 pm I'm also hoping that the J-Archive site would make its return since the February 12 and 13, 1992 episodes are now on Youtube in 1 video so what would happen to these 2 episodes if Sony blocks that video worldwide from Youtube before the J-Archive site opens up again. Let's hope that Daniel(kingskip) downloads these that video plus the March 12, 1992 episode to add to his collection so that we can add these 3 episodes to the J-Archive when it opens again.
I did get the March 12, 1992 episode. But where is February 12 and 13? I can't find it.
YouTube user "Liberty Drive" posted them under the title "Santina Jeopardy."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:27 am This was a reference to the historical games which often end up being on YouTube for only a few days, not current ones.
Sorry about that. I read the dates but did not pay attention to the year.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I haven't seen anybody else mention this but until last night I thought the site was still unavailable. When I start typing "jboard" into my browser's address bar (using Chrome on Mac, and Safari on iPhone) it automatically tries connecting to https, presumably because that is what I previously had used. Using https gives a connection error: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. I only managed to get here by following the link from j-archive although I now know that I can manually correct the browser to use the http:// prefix.

Is it possible to get https working as well? I mostly worry that there are others experiencing the connection error without realizing that the site is back and functional.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Getting HTTPS working is definitely on the to-do list. Google (i.e., Chrome) is getting progressively more insistent about all sites migrating away from HTTP.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 amGetting HTTPS working is definitely on the to-do list. Google (i.e., Chrome) is getting progressively more insistent about all sites migrating away from HTTP.
Firefox too...before the migration, I tried to log in via the HTTPS when I could after the second to last Firefox update so I could avoid the login screen nag about this being 'an insecure site' when it really isn't and all.

I realize it is frivolous, and for those of you who fine without them, that's great and your perogative, but for those of us who do like having them, are the avatars going to eventually return?
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Maven wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:50 pmI realize it is frivolous, and for those of you who fine without them, that's great and your perogative, but for those of us who do like having them, are the avatars going to eventually return?
Yes, we're trying to see if we can figure those out. I know I like having them. At worst, we might ask people to reload them.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When I added theFJguy post it was not there in the 3 slot to edit as has happened in the past with it going up the same time as the other placeholders. Of course at this time there were no other posts yet, so adding it in the proper place was easy to do.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The logo has been restored to its usual beauteous luster.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:48 pm $190 to go--let's get it done.
What is this a reference to? Is there fundraising for the site going on? (Sorry if I missed it.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:14 pmAt worst, we might ask people to reload them.
Except we already established that doesn't work... :(

Logo looks great.

Magna, thanks to the staggering generosity of the community, the fundraiser for bpmod in gratitude for his years of service met its goal in a single day, but if you still wanted to toss a few bucks Brian's way, the campaign will stay open to accept donations for a little while longer.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

So, Robert appears to have gotten the avatars working again (Meaning, if yours isn't, I think it might be a good idea to re-upload it).
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Indeed...let's knock on wood that the avatars don't go bye-bye again. Thanks for both the kind reply AND the good moderating/administering work on behalf of all in charge! :)

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Moon Knight = awesome avatar
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 pmMoon Knight = awesome avatar
8-)

Khonshu* made me do it. ;)

* - Interestingly but not surprisingly, Marvel's spelling of the Egyptian moon god's name is VERY slightly different from the actual one (Khonsu).

earendel

Post by earendel »

FWIW I can't see the "new message" indicator on the main page, and the various formatting buttons are blank when composing a message. The "topic tools", sort, and "jump to page" buttons are similarly blank. I'm using IE11.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

boson wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:26 am The board looks very very different in mobile. I appreciated how there were bigger buttons on the old page for my clumsy thumbs. This doesn't seem to be a mobile-specific version of the page.
I just wanted to update this that I was completely wrong - there is a mobile-specific version of the website, and does seem to have nice features. However it does use much smaller icons than the previous version of the page, and so is hard to use. Is there some setting that enables a larger font and icon size for the page?