Friday, March 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Friday, March 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:48 pm I guess I vaguely knew "The Princess Bride" was a book, but I certainly had no idea who wrote it. William Goldman didn't ring a bell at all. I suspect everyone who knew who he was got this FJ right and pretty much everyone else scratched their head or confused him with Golding. :)
Exactly the same. Which is sad given how many times I've seen it and quoted it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Harvard of the South wasn't the best description as I've never heard it assigned to one school in particular. But the clue said it had a jazz department (or something about jazz) and New Orleans, home of Tulane, is a big jazz city.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

For wannabe screenwriters, Goldman's Adventures in the Screen Trade is a classic and, for decades, was either the top seller in the genre or second to Syd Field's Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting. Both were on the syllabus for USC's introductory screenwriting class.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

No one put "marathons" and "men", eh? That's good.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:32 amThe Harvard of the South wasn't the best description as I've never heard it assigned to one school in particular. But the clue said it had a jazz department (or something about jazz) and New Orleans, home of Tulane, is a big jazz city.
The jazz department mention was certainly the hint-hint for N'awlins...I won't dispute that. BUT Durham and North Carolina do have a more sizable jazz connection than most people realize. Durham has quite the jazz scene with more than a handful of clubs, being the home of Branford Marsalis (whose quartet has done some work with the NC Symphony, among other things), and the birthplace of Thelonious Monk (although he was raised in New York City, but he was indeed born in Durham). And NC also happened to be the birthstate of John Coltrane (who hailed from a town called Hamlet). So a jazz department at Duke, even if not yet existent (per my Google-fu, but they do have a jazz program), is not really that much of a stretch.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

I don't know. I lived in Durham for years and Tulane jumped to mind instantly. The "Harvard" thing has been a big deal there for decades. And while I don't doubt the Durham jazz scene (or any place that has enough jazz to cause a scene), New Orleans is known for it internationally. I didn't hesitate and was surprised at the guessing from a strong group of contestants.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:24 am For wannabe screenwriters, Goldman's Adventures in the Screen Trade is a classic and, for decades, was either the top seller in the genre or second to Syd Field's Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting. Both were on the syllabus for USC's introductory screenwriting class.
And for theater fans, Goldman's book from 50 years ago, THE SEASON A Candid Look At Broadway, a close examination of the Broadway season of 1967/68, is still considered a classic for its insight into the workings of the commercial theater. He invented the term "snob hit."
I spent almost the entire FJ :30 fretting over how to write it. Princesses and brides? Silly to think they would be so strict, but I figured I should cross out the plurals. Then I decided to add articles, but ran out of time...So I ended up with A princess and bride. With more time I might have settled on princess, bride. And then Rebecca gets away with naming the book... :roll:
My favorite Goldman saying, from his screenwriting book: "Nobody knows anything..." about what will be a hit. Of course, he was writing before tentpoles and comic book franchises...
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I'll miss Grant, but that was a very impressive game by Rebecca.

I think I overthought how to respond to the FJ! clue. I knew the clue was talking about The Princess Bride. My response was "What are royalty and weddings?" Princesses and weddings, I may have gotten away with; royalty and weddings, probably not.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Missed this despite The Princess Bride being one of my all-time favourite movies (I think it and Airplane! are at the top of the list). :(
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Robbo
Contributor

Post by Robbo »

For final I tried coming up with a book that lists two different things...thus my guess of motorcycles and zen.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Did they cut the show's overall taping time or something? The number of unfinished boards lately is insane.

There are lots of "get [4 letter word]" terms that mean "get out of the way". Also, "donkey's year"?

I knew the first two colleges were in TX and FL, but didn't guess on University of X/X State. Turns out the "when in doubt, go for University of" backfired on $400, too. What a crapshoot.

Can't believe I blanked on "I Get Around". I love the Beach Boys, but got snagged on wondering if "I wish they all could be" was part of the title of "California Girls" or not.

Pop Warner?!?!

"Things" had me thinking items. Nothing was ever going to get me to the Princess Bride.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:17 pm
There are lots of "get [4 letter word]" terms that mean "get out of the way".
Mind naming some?
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:17 pmAlso, "donkey's year"?
With you on that one.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:17 pmI knew the first two colleges were in TX and FL, but didn't guess on University of X/X State. Turns out the "when in doubt, go for University of" backfired on $400, too. What a crapshoot.
I always get University of X/X State mixed up too. A) how can I work on that, and b) I always forget, when just "What is X?" is given, which one is that referring to?

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:24 pm I always get University of X/X State mixed up too. A) how can I work on that, and b) I always forget, when just "What is X?" is given, which one is that referring to?
A) When you figure this one out, let me know too.

B) University is assumed. Note that most (if not all) of those "X States" are actually "X State Universities." e.g., University of Oregon/Oregon State University
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:24 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:17 pm
There are lots of "get [4 letter word]" terms that mean "get out of the way".
Mind naming some?
"Get bent" came to mind first, but that isn't quite it.
dhkendall wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:24 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:17 pmI knew the first two colleges were in TX and FL, but didn't guess on University of X/X State. Turns out the "when in doubt, go for University of" backfired on $400, too. What a crapshoot.
I always get University of X/X State mixed up too. A) how can I work on that, and b) I always forget, when just "What is X?" is given, which one is that referring to?
Just giving the state = "University of".
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

dhkendall wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:24 pmI always get University of X/X State mixed up too. A) how can I work on that, and b) I always forget, when just "What is X?" is given, which one is that referring to?
The usual identifying feature for the different schools is the location of their campus although their sports team nickname is another good one to know. As a general rule of thumb, "University of" is more likely to be the prestigious, research focused school and the "State" school generally has a more liberal admissions policy and is more likely to be focused on undergraduate programs. I went to a school more along the lines of a "State" school so I'm by no means implying that one is "better" than the other.
MarkBarrett wrote:I guess I was wrong about the lady to go with Chaplin, Fairbanks and Griffith being well known with picture shown or no picture.
I was watching this episode on Friday and couldn't figure out why "December me" wasn't answering the question.

On FJ, I instantly thought Lord of the Flies and almost as instantly knew that it was the wrong William Goldxxx. Just couldn't come up with any better alternative.

Thank you for all the kind words from everyone here! I was desperately hoping that I could win one game and to manage three was a dream come true.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:17 pm I have never seen that movie and never had any real desire to do so. I had no idea who wrote the book so I was pretty much screwed on that one.
Same here. I know it is beloved by many but for some reason I have never had any interest in seeing it. Yesterday I was sick in bed and came across it while looking through Netflix. I skipped it in favor of MST3K episodes that I'd seen multiple times already.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

mcsheffrey wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:15 pm
dhkendall wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:24 pmI always get University of X/X State mixed up too. A) how can I work on that, and b) I always forget, when just "What is X?" is given, which one is that referring to?
The usual identifying feature for the different schools is the location of their campus although their sports team nickname is another good one to know. As a general rule of thumb, "University of" is more likely to be the prestigious, research focused school and the "State" school generally has a more liberal admissions policy and is more likely to be focused on undergraduate programs. I went to a school more along the lines of a "State" school so I'm by no means implying that one is "better" than the other.
MarkBarrett wrote:I guess I was wrong about the lady to go with Chaplin, Fairbanks and Griffith being well known with picture shown or no picture.
I was watching this episode on Friday and couldn't figure out why "December me" wasn't answering the question.

On FJ, I instantly thought Lord of the Flies and almost as instantly knew that it was the wrong William Goldxxx. Just couldn't come up with any better alternative.

Thank you for all the kind words from everyone here! I was desperately hoping that I could win one game and to manage three was a dream come true.
Another very general rule, with MANY exceptions, is that "XXX State University" or "XXX A & M" is usually a land-grant college founded in the late 19th century under a law providing federal lands to colleges with an agricultural focus.

However, many land-grant colleges and universities also use "University of XXX" or even another formulation. MIT for instance is a land-grant institution.

Often, it's a mystery and it becomes a "you know it or you don't" kind of answer.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

I said "admiral of the fleet" instead of "fleet admiral". Judges? My inclination is to neg it, since while "admiral of the fleet" is used in other countries for this rank and the two terms are equivalent, in the US the term is "fleet admiral".

I had a lot of costly negs in the DJ round, so even though I ran the Women and Irish Lit categories in the J! round I still ended up with a pretty poor game. FJ was a complete whiff.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Kevin S. wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:57 pm Another very general rule, with MANY exceptions, is that "XXX State University" or "XXX A & M" is usually a land-grant college founded in the late 19th century under a law providing federal lands to colleges with an agricultural focus.
[TPH]There's more than one A&M?[/TPH]

(OK, perhaps the fake tags make it seem I'm not asking seriously, but I"m asking seriously: really? I thought Texas A&M was the only one!)

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:50 am
Kevin S. wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:57 pm Another very general rule, with MANY exceptions, is that "XXX State University" or "XXX A & M" is usually a land-grant college founded in the late 19th century under a law providing federal lands to colleges with an agricultural focus.
[TPH]There's more than one A&M?[/TPH]

(OK, perhaps the fake tags make it seem I'm not asking seriously, but I"m asking seriously: really? I thought Texas A&M was the only one!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%26M