TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock! - FINAL STANDINGS

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock! - FINAL STANDINGS

Post by Peachbox »

Schoolhouse Rock!

This TD is inspired by the Schoolhouse Rock videos that began airing in the 1970s; I remember these brief educational snippets from watching Saturday morning television. There were various versions through the years, such as America Rock and Grammar Rock; newer versions were Money Rock from the 1990s and Earth Rock from the 2000s.

Special thanks to editors Woof and BobF.

The following standard rules apply to this TD:

1. Your goal is to achieve the lowest score for all questions; your score for each question is equal to the total number of players also submitting your answer.
2. You may DROP one question and receive zero points for that question.
3. You may also SHEEP one question and receive the point total of the most common answer.
4. Wrong answers count for the SHEEP (most common answer) + 3 points.
5. Last names only are OK unless otherwise noted.
6. Quiz is open to JBoard members and nonmembers alike.
7. As always, no cheating. This includes googling or other research, asking others, or Vulcan mind melds.

Deadline is 11:59 p.m. PT, Monday, March 20. Enter with this Google form or send me a pm.

1. Sufferin' 'til Suffrage
sufferin til suffrage.jpg
sufferin til suffrage.jpg (9.95 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
Oh we were sufferin', until suffrage, not a woman here could vote no matter what age.....

This video that originally aired in 1976 touched on the women’s suffrage movement. Pick one of the following 11 choices; no letter needed.

Identify the social reformer and suffragette who is pictured on a U.S. dollar coin that was first issued in 1976 but is no longer minted.

A women's rights convention was held in 1848 in this city in New York.

Name the abolitionist and suffragette from New York whose "Declaration of Sentiments" was presented at that 1848 convention.

Rights activist Lucretia Mott, who helped write the Declaration of Sentiments, was of this abolitionist and pacifist faith.

Kate Sheppard was a prominent suffrage advocate in this country, which passed a women's suffrage law in 1893.

Women's suffrage became law in the United States in 1920 with the passage of this constitutional amendment.

This abolitionist, women's rights activist and former slave was born Isabella Baumfree in New York in 1797.

Alice Paul organized the 1913 Women's Suffrage Procession the day before this man's inauguration as U.S. president in Washington D.C.

The name of this women's rights activist became associated with a mid-19th century reform style of clothing sometimes called "Turkish dress.'

In 1869, this U.S. territory, now a state, guaranteed women the right to vote.

Name the suffragette and author who’s best known for writing “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.”

Bonus: Lynn Ahrens, one of the main writers and singers on Schoolhouse Rock, wrote a famous 8-word jingle--with a drawn-out 4th word--for an ice cream product. For -2 points, name that ice cream. No penalty for a wrong guess.

2. Interplanet Janet
This video teaching kids about the solar system originally aired in 1978. Name a commercially released film, TV movie, or serial with the name of a planet, dwarf planet, the word Sun or Moon in its title. No direct-to-video releases. Compound words are OK; for example, Sunny Side Up, Honeymoon.

3. No More Kings

This video from 1975 dealt—in a simplistic way…..it’s a kids’ video, after all—with the American colonists’ overthrow of British rule. You learn fun trivia, such as the Redcoats were really magenta and traveled to the colonies by walking through the Atlantic Ocean. :roll:

Name the country one of these monarchs ruled. Some of the countries listed still have monarchs, while others don’t. The years in power are noted; no country is repeated. Be sure to include the letter with your answer.

A. Catherine II the Great, 1762-1796
B. Pedro II, 1831-1889
C. Queen Wilhelmina, 1890-1948
D. Richard III, 1483-1485
E. Hussein bin Talal, 1952-1999
F. Olav V, 1957-1991
G. George Tupou V, 2006-2012
H. Mohamed Zahir Shah, 1933-1973
I. Prince Rainier, 1949-2005
J. Juan Carlos I, 1975-2014
K. Canute II the Tall, 1229-1234
L. Norodom, 1860-1904

4. I'm Just a Bill
I'm just a bill.jpg
I'm just a bill.jpg (54.77 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
I’m just a bill, yes I’m only a bill, and I’m sittin’ here on Capitol Hill….

sang Jack Sheldon in this Dave Frishberg song from 1976. Sheldon also played an amendment in a 1996 Simpsons parody episode. But here, the only bill knowledge you’ll need is in identifying one of the people named Bill, Billie, or Billy pictured.

Images at http://imgur.com/a/hpTmh

5. Conjunction Junction

Conjunction Junction, what’s your function? Hookin’ up words and phrases and clauses…..

This video was part of the Grammar Rock series originally airing in 1973.

The first 5 options here relate to some type of junction; the next 8 are Before & After questions. The B&As will share a word or part of a word. Examples: LeBron (James) Monroe, Green Eggs and (Ham)ilton. Just pick one of the 13 and be sure to include both parts if choosing a B&A.

Part of a luggage trolley juts out of a wall in "Platform 9 3/4" at this real London train station.
This type of traffic junction is so named because it (kind of) resembles a plate of noodles.
"The Crossroads of America" can be seen on this U.S. state's license plate.
This 10-letter word describes the point where two or more rivers flow together.
This is the most populous city in Mesa County, Colorado.

Belize capital + Jar/box opener of myth
Rice Krispies trio + brand of toaster pastry
French Reign of Terror figure + Designer of Washington, D.C. layout
Song by The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk + term for 'N Sync, One Direction, etc.
Type of cheese + runner who collided with Mary Decker
Pikachu is one of these + whale from Pinocchio
Edna Ferber book/Jerome Kern musical + winner of NERC’s 2016 "Name our Ship" contest
Group with the hit "Too Shy" + candy bar with marshmallow/caramel/peanuts covered in chocolate

6. America the Beautiful Quarters

Money Rock was a mid-1990s version of Schoolhouse Rock, wherein kids learned about currency, budgets, taxes, etc. The latest addition to the U.S. state quarters series depicts a national park or site from each state. Identify one state whose quarter is shown below and be sure to include the letter with your answer.
quarters2.png
quarters2.png (194.28 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
Larger images here: http://imgur.com/a/kqW1K

7. The Shot Heard 'Round the World

Take your powder and your gun, report to General Washington…

This 1975 video touched on some key battles of the American Revolution. Question 7 is mainly about the first 2 of those. Pick one option; no letter needed.

Paul Revere is famous for his "midnight ride" to warn of advancing British troops in April 1775. But two other men rode to spread the news on April 18 as well. Name either; they’ll be counted separately.

Revere's ride is recalled (inaccurately) in a poem by what author?

On April 19, 1775, colonial troops and British troops first battled in what Massachusetts town?

After this incident, British troops proceeded to Concord, which is also the name of the capital of what U.S. state?

The term "shot heard 'round the world" is from a commemorative 1837 poem entitled Concord Hymn written by what American?

The Minute Man statue was unveiled at the 100th anniversary of two famous Revolutionary War battles. Name the man who sculpted it.

The so-called Battle of Bunker Hill was mostly fought on what other nearby hill?

A pennant-winning home run that also came to be known as the "shot heard 'round the world" occurred in a baseball game on October 3, 1951. Name the batter who hit that home run, the pitcher who coughed it up, or the team either played for. Four possible answers, counted separately.

Name the home team's announcer whose radio call of that home run became legendary.

8. Figure Eight

Figure eight…is double four…figure four…is half of eight…

Part of 1973’s Multiplication Rock series, this video taught kids about multiples of eight with skating and other cartoons. Figure eights and other compulsory figures were a part of international skating until 1990, and part of U.S. competitions until 1998. For this question, identify one of the following pictures of skaters. If you choose one of the two pairs, I need both names. And thank you, Paraguay, for issuing skater stamps. :)

Images here: http://imgur.com/a/HBflq

9. Electricity, Electricity

This video from the Science Rock series originally aired in 1979. Electricity and other scientific quantities are measured in SI units. Excluding the 3 temperature scales, name an SI Unit or derived unit named after a person. It doesn’t have to be related to electricity, and you don’t have to name what the unit actually measures—i.e., amperes measure electric current. 16 answers.

Bonus:
For -2 points each, name the scientists from the Heroes of Science series depicted here: Scientists
No penalty for a wrong guess.

10. Three is a Magic Number

3 6 9…..12 15 18…..21 24 27…..30. This video from Multiplication Rock helped kids learn how to multiply by threes. For this question, identify the person or thing related to one of these numbers. No need to include number with answer.

3- Name all three of Donald Duck’s nephews.
6- Six is the atomic number of what element?
9- The poem Casey at the Bat mentions the __________ Nine.
12- Who directed the 1957 film 12 Angry Men?
15- "Beware the Ides of March" is a line from what Shakespeare play?
18- "18 Wheels and a Dozen Roses" was a No. 1 hit in 1988 for this artist.
21- Which artist released the album 21 in 2011?
24- Twenty-four is the number of Stanley Cup championships (since 1915) this team has won.
27- Twenty-seven was the prisoner number of Abbe Faria, who befriended Edmond Dantes in this Alexandre Dumas book.
30- Thirty is the number of what Golden State Warriors player and 2-time NBA MVP?

Thank you for playing, and good luck! :)
Last edited by Peachbox on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:52 am, edited 9 times in total.
Peachbox

Re: TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock!

Post by Peachbox »

PARTICIPANTS
Spoiler
MattKnowles
Gamawire
Badgerfellow
Magna
Tybalteon

MarkBarrett
clt013
Olduvai George
mcsheffrey
merica

Kevin S.
macrae1234
Maven
casketromance
SBurrus

lindap
classicroadster
WhatAreDogs
floridagtor
Tamest_Whiff

Blue Lion
immaf
morbeedo
pauerpoint
Vowela

Rackme32
9021amyers
ElendilPickle
Vintsanity
BobF

clprez
1stlvlthinker
GuessonGuessonGuess
ChexMix
patkav

artshep
Bamaman
Aunt_Ija
econgator
dklee12

Category 13
RichmondJ
ouachiouat
Last edited by Peachbox on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:08 am, edited 8 times in total.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

That was a fun little quiz... Even for me, apparently the only person who was a kid in that era and *never* saw an episode or video of Schoolhouse Rock!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Rackme32 wrote:That was a fun little quiz... Even for me, apparently the only person who was a kid in that era and *never* saw an episode or video of Schoolhouse Rock!
Now that you've entered, you can search them out on Youtube, or check out one of the many videos available on CD. (Probably also on streaming services too.) You're in for some fun. :)
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Magna wrote:
Rackme32 wrote:That was a fun little quiz... Even for me, apparently the only person who was a kid in that era and *never* saw an episode or video of Schoolhouse Rock!
Now that you've entered, you can search them out on Youtube, or check out one of the many videos available on CD. (Probably also on streaming services too.) You're in for some fun. :)
They were awesome as a kid; and a couple of years ago I introduced them to my then 5-year-old son. He had a blast with them.
***lolly, lolly, lolly....father, son and lolly...get your adverbs here!*** ahh, the good times :lol:

And yes, this was an enjoyable quiz!
Olduvai George
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Olduvai George »

Thank you for this wonderful little walk down memory lane. I showed the "Gravity" one to my daughter, who now is obsessed with "gravity experiments" (she climbs me and lets go, and I get to catch her before she hits the ground).
Peachbox

Post by Peachbox »

Thanks, all. :) This was a fun quiz to make. And I left out so many--the Preamble, Mother Necessity, Elementary, etc.--there's probably enough material for me or someone else to do a Part II.
Peachbox

Re: TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock! - Closes 11:59 p.m. PT

Post by Peachbox »

Still time to enter, with a few singletons left!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock! - Closes 11:59 p.m. PT

Post by morbeedo »

Peachbox wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:22 pm Still time to enter, with a few singletons left!
Did I win? :P
Peachbox

TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock! - Q1 and Bonus results

Post by Peachbox »

Q1 Sufferin' 'til Suffrage

This one had a big sheep and a bunch of doubletons. I've placed the questions and answers in a spoiler box, or you can go right to the results below.
Spoiler
Identify the social reformer and suffragette who is pictured on a U.S. dollar coin that was first issued in 1976 but is no longer minted.
Susan B. Anthony
A women's rights convention was held in 1848 in this city in New York. Seneca Falls
Name the abolitionist and suffragette from New York whose "Declaration of Sentiments" was presented at that 1848 convention.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Rights activist Lucretia Mott, who helped write the Declaration of Sentiments, was of this abolitionist and pacifist faith.
Quakers, or Society of Friends
Kate Sheppard was a prominent suffrage advocate in this country, which passed a women's suffrage law in 1893.
New Zealand
Women's suffrage became law in the United States in 1920 with the passage of this constitutional amendment.
19th
This abolitionist, women's rights activist and former slave was born Isabella Baumfree in New York in 1797.
Sojourner Truth
Alice Paul organized the 1913 Women's Suffrage Procession the day before this man's inauguration as U.S. president in Washington D.C. Woodrow Wilson
The name of this women's rights activist became associated with a mid-19th century reform style of clothing sometimes called "Turkish dress." Amelia Bloomer
In 1869, this U.S. territory, now a state, guaranteed women the right to vote. Wyoming
Name the suffragette and author who’s best known for writing “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.”
Julia Ward Howe

SHEEP
Wyoming - 11

Tybalteon
Maven
casketromance
lindap
classicroadster
pauerpoint
Vintsanity
clprez
GuessonGuessonGuess
dklee12
RichmondJ

Julia Ward Howe - 8

Badgerfellow
Magna
MarkBarrett
morbeedo
Rackme32
SBurrus
ChexMix
econgator

Seneca Falls - 6

Gamawire
clt013
WhatAreDogs
1stlvlthinker
Bamaman
Aunt_Ija

Susan B. Anthony - 4
merica
Vowela
Category 13
ouachiouat

Woodrow Wilson -2
MattKnowles
ElendilPickle

19th - 2
Olduvai George
Tamest_Whiff

Amelia Bloomer - 2
macrae1234
immaf

Elizabeth Cady Stanton - 2

patkav
artshep

Sojourner Truth - 2
floridagator
Blue Lion

SINGLETON !
Quakers
9021amyers

DROP - 0
BobF

NOT QUITE - 14 (SHEEP + 3)

mcsheffrey - pantaloon
Kevin S. - Chataqua

UNUSED
New Zealand

Bonus: Lynn Ahrens, one of the main writers and singers on Schoolhouse Rock, wrote a famous 8-word jingle--with a drawn-out 4th word--for an ice cream product. For -2 points, name that ice cream. No penalty for a wrong guess.

And a bunch of you knew it was for the Klondike Bar ice cream sandwich. "What would you do-oo-oo for a Klondike Bar ?"

-2 points

MattKnowles
floridagator
classicroadster
econgator
Gamawire
Vowela
lindap
dklee12
clt013
Rackme32
WhatAreDogs
Category 13
Olduvai George
9021amyers
GuessonGuessonGuess
ChexMix
ouachiouat
macrae1234
Tamest_Whiff
ElendilPickle
patkav
Maven
Vintsanity
artshep

STANDINGS AFTER Q1 AND BONUS
1. 9021amyers -1
2. MattKnowles 0
2. ElendilPickle 0
2. BobF 0
2. floridagator 0
2. macrae1234 - 0
2. patkav 0
2. artshep 0
2. Olduvai George 0
2. Tamest_Whiff 0
11. Vowela 2
11. Category 13 - 2
11. ouachiouat 2
11. immaf 2
11. Blue Lion 2
16. WhatAreDogs 4
16. Gamawire 4
16. clt013 - 4
16. merica 4
20. 1stlvlthinker 6
20. Bamaman 6
20. Aunt_Ija 6
20. Rackme32 - 6
20. econgator 6
20. ChexMix 6
26. Badgerfellow 8
26. Magna 8
26. MarkBarrett 8
26. morbeedo 8
26. SBurrus 8
31. Maven 9
31. Vintsanity 9
31. classicroadster 9
31. lindap 9
31. GuessonGuessonGuess 9
31. dklee12 - 9
37. Tybalteon 11
37. casketromance 11
37. pauerpoint 11
37. clprez 11
37. RichmondJ 11
42. mcsheffrey 14
42. Kevin S. 14
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock! - Q1 and Bonus results

Post by 9021amyers »

This lead will not last.
Peachbox

TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock! - Standings through Q3

Post by Peachbox »

2. Interplanet Janet
This video teaching kids about the solar system originally aired in 1978. Name a commercially released film, TV movie, or serial with the name of a planet, dwarf planet, the word Sun or Moon in its title. No direct-to-video releases. Compound words are OK; for example, Sunny Side Up, Honeymoon.

Loads of singletons here as expected. :)

CO-SHEEPS
Mars Attacks - 5

MattKnowles
merica
Maven
SBurrus
patkav

Jupiter Ascending - 5
Tamest_Whiff
WhatAreDogs
1stlvlthinker
Vowela
GuessonGuessonGuess

Earth Girls Are Easy - 4
casketromance
floridagator
Blue Lion
Bamaman

Venus - 2
Badgerfellow
pauerpoint

Mars Needs Moms - 2
clt013
BobF

Adventures of Pluto Nash - 2

macrae1234
9021amyers

SINGLETONS ! - 21 IN ALL
Battlefield Earth

mcsheffrey

Earth

Tybalteon

Journey to the Center of the Earth
Magna

From the Earth to the Moon
dklee12

Racing with the Moon
Category 13

Man on the Moon
artshep

The Honeymooners (2005)
Aunt_Ija

Moonraker
Vintsanity

The Moon and Sixpence
econgator

Brother Sun, Sister Moon
ElendilPickle

Little Miss Sunshine
Gamawire

Black Sunday
Mark Barrett

Sunshine Daydream
Olduvai George

Rising Sun
classicroadster

Follow the Sun
Rackme32

Empire of the Sun
ouachiouat

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
RichmondJ

Mercury Rising
clprez

Venus in Fur (2013)
morbeedo

Robinson Crusoe on Mars
lindap

Breakfast on Pluto
ChexMix

DROP - 0
Kevin S.

SO CLOSE - 8 (SHEEP + 3)
The Last Spaceship on Venus (it's First Spaceship on Venus)
immaf

UNUSED

Saturn Returns, Saturn 3, Paper Moon, Radar Men from the Moon, Neptune's Daughter,
Abbott and Costello Go to Mars, etc.

3. No More Kings
no more kings.jpg
no more kings.jpg (12.96 KiB) Viewed 8823 times
Text of question in spoiler.
Spoiler
This video from 1975 dealt—in a simplistic way…..it’s a kids’ video, after all—with the American colonists’ overthrow of British rule. You learn fun trivia, such as the Redcoats were really magenta and traveled to the colonies by walking through the Atlantic Ocean. :roll:

Name the country one of these monarchs ruled. Some of the countries listed still have monarchs, while others don’t. The years in power are noted; no country is repeated. Be sure to include the letter with your answer.
A. Catherine II the Great, 1762-1796 - Russia
B. Pedro II, 1831-1889 - Brazil
C. Queen Wilhelmina, 1890-1948 - Netherlands
D. Richard III, 1483-1485 - England
E. Hussein bin Talal, 1952-1999 - Jordan
F. Olav V, 1957-1991 - Norway
G. George Tupou V, 2006-2012 - Tonga
H. Mohamed Zahir Shah, 1933-1973 - Afghanistan
I. Prince Rainier, 1949-2005 - Monaco
J. Juan Carlos I, 1975-2014 - Spain
K. Canute II the Tall, 1229-1234 -Sweden
L. Norodom, 1860-1904 - Cambodia

SHEEP
J. Spain - 10

MarkBarrett
clt013
mcsheffrey
merica
Blue Lion
morbeedo
9021amyers
Vintsanity
GuessonGuessonGuess
ChexMix

C. Netherlands - 5
Badgerfellow
macrae1234
classicroadster
BobF
patkav

I. Monaco - 5
SBurrus
Rackme32
1stlvlthinker
econgator
ouachiouat

B. Brazil - 4
MattKnowles
Tybalteon
Maven
Bamaman

D. England - 3
Gamawire
Tamest_Whiff
immaf

F. Norway - 3

Olduvai George
floridagator
clprez

G. Tonga - 3
casketromance
pauerpoint
dklee12

E. Jordan - 2
artshep
Aunt_Ija

SINGLETON !
L. Cambodia
Kevin S.

DROP - 0
Vowela
Category 13
RichmondJ

NOT QUITE - 13 (SHEEP + 3)
Magna - B. Portugal (Pedro II became Emperor of Brazil after its independence from Portugal)
ElendilPickle -B. Portugal
lindap - L. Thailand
WhatAreDogs - E. Saudi Arabia

UNUSED
A. Russia
H. Afghanistan
K. Sweden

STANDINGS AFTER Q3

Some shift here, with several players, including new Jeopardy! champ Kevin S., making big moves up the standings.

1. artshep 3
1. Category 13 - 3
3. Olduvai George 4
4. BobF 7
4. floridagator 7
4. macrae1234 - 7
4. Vowela 7
8. Tamest_Whiff 8
8. ouachiouat 8
8. Gamwire 8
11. Aunt_Ija 9
11. MattKnowles 9
13. patkav 10
14. 9021amyers 11
15. Rackme32 - 12
15. econgator 12
15. RichmondJ 12
18. immaf 13
18. dklee12 - 13
20. ElendilPickle 14
20. Bamaman 14
22. Badgerfellow 15
22. classicroadster 15
22. clprez 15
22. Kevin S. 15
26. Blue Lion 16
26. clt013 - 16
26. 1stlvlthinker 16
26. Tybalteon 16
26. pauerpoint 16
31. ChexMix 17
32. SBurrus 18
32. Maven 18
32. casketromance 18
35. merica 19
35. MarkBarrett 19
35. morbeedo 19
38. Vintsanity 20
39. WhatAreDogs 22
39. Magna 22
41. lindap 23
42. GuessonGuessonGuess 24
43. mcsheffrey 25
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock! - Standings through Q3

Post by ElendilPickle »

Well, so much for that lead.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Peachbox wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:36 am 2. Interplanet Janet

UNUSED

Saturn Returns, Saturn 3, Paper Moon, Radar Men from the Moon, Neptune's Daughter,

I have to give a shout-out to that 1967 Tommy Kirk classic Mars Need Women

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Peachbox wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:36 am NOT QUITE - 13 (SHEEP + 3)
Magna - B. Portugal (Pedro II became Emperor of Brazil after its independence from Portugal)
Ouch. Actually, the reason I said Portugal was that it had several King Pedros, and the time given was in the waning years of the Portuguese monarchy.

There was a Pedro II of Portugal, but he reigned one or two centuries earlier. And Pedro IV of Portugal was also Pedro I of Brazil, as well as being Pedro II of Brazil's father.
Peachbox

TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock! - Standings through Q5

Post by Peachbox »

4. I'm Just a Bill

bills2.png
bills2.png (209.91 KiB) Viewed 8688 times
Top row: Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, Billie Jean King, Buffalo Bill, Bill Gates, Billie Whitelaw, Bill Bradley
Second row: Billie Holliday, Bill Murray, Billie Piper, Billy Crystal, Billy Mills, Mr. Bill

SHEEP
Billie Holliday - 9

MattKnowles
Tybalteon
MarkBarrett
Badgerfellow
Olduvai George
Kevin S.
Maven
Blue Lion
GuessonGuessonGuess

Billie Jean King - 8
Gamawire
casketromance
SBurrus
classicroadster
immaf
1stlvlthinker
artshep
Aunt_Ija

Billy Mills - 5
clt013
Rackme32
9021amyers
Vintsanity
Category 13

Bill Robinson - 5

lindap
WhatAreDogs
clprez
Bamaman
dklee12

Billie Piper - 3
Vowela
ElendilPickle
econgator

Mr. Bill - 3
mcsheffrey
BobF
patkav

Billy Crystal - 3
merica
Chex Mix
ouachiouat

Bill Bradley - 3
floridagator
morbeedo
RichmondJ

SINGLETON !
Billie Whitelaw

macrae1234

SINGLETON !
Bill Gates

pauerpoint

DROP - 0
Magna
Tamest_Whiff

UNUSED
Buffalo Bill
Bill Murray

5. Conjunction Junction

Spaghetti junction, what’s your function? Hookin’ up sauce and noodles and meatballs….

Good 1984 Olympics knowledge on this one. Or not, as it ended up being the sheep. Only one option went unused, and there were 3 singletons, with one of those--King's Cross--not being chosen until the 38th entry. Questions and answers in spoiler.
Spoiler
Part of a luggage trolley juts out of a wall in "Platform 9 3/4" at this real London train station. King's Cross
This type of traffic junction is so named because it (kind of) resembles a plate of noodles. Spaghetti junction
"The Crossroads of America" can be seen on this U.S. state's license plate. Indiana
This 10-letter word describes the point where two or more rivers flow together. confluence
This is the most populous city in Mesa County, Colorado. Grand Junction

Belize capital + Jar/box opener of myth BelmoPandora
Rice Krispies trio + brand of toaster pastry Snap, Crackle, and Pop Tarts
French Reign of Terror figure + Designer of Washington, D.C. layout RobesPierre L'Enfant
Song by The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk + term for 'N Sync, One Direction, etc. Starboy band
Type of cheese + runner who collided with Mary Decker GorgonZola Budd
Pikachu is one of these + whale from Pinocchio PokeMonstro
Edna Ferber book/Jerome Kern musical + winner of NERC’s 2016 "Name our Ship" contest Show Boaty McBoatface
Group with the hit "Too Shy" + candy bar with marshmallow/caramel/peanuts covered in chocolate KajaGooGoo Cluster

SHEEP
GorgonZola Budd - 9

lindap
Blue Lion
pauerpoint
Rackme32
BobF
clprez
patkav
econgator
RichmondJ

RobesPierre L'Enfant - 7
Olduvai George
mcsheffrey
Kevin S.
floridagator
GuessonGuessonGuess
Chex Mix
artshep

BelmoPandora - 6
MattKnowles
Badgerfellow
clt013
casketromance
classicroadster
immaf

Confluence - 4
Magna
merica
Sburrus
Tamest_Whiff

Indiana - 3
Gamawire
1stlvlthinker
Category 13

Grand Junction - 3
morbeedo
Vintsanity
dklee12

Spaghetti junction - 3
WhatAreDogs
Bamaman
ouachiouat

KajaGooGoo Cluster - 2
MarkBarrett
9021amyers

Starboy band -2
Tybalteon
ElendilPickle

SINGLETON !
Show Boaty McBoatface

Maven

SINGLETON !
King's Cross

Aunt_Ija

SINGLETON !
Snap, Crackle, and Pop Tarts

Vowela

DROP - 0
macrae1234

UNUSED
PokeMonstro

STANDINGS THROUGH Q5

1. macrae1234 - 8
2. Vowela 11
2. Category 13 - 11
4. Tamest_Whiff 12
5. ouachiouat 14
6. floridagator 17
7. 9021amyers 18
7. artshep 18
7. Aunt_Ija 18
10. ElendilPickle 19
10. Gamawire 19
10. BobF 19
13. Olduvai George 20
14. dklee12 - 21
15. patkav 22
15. Bamaman 22
17. MattKnowles 24
17. econgator 24
17. RichmondJ 24
20. morbeedo 25
21. pauerpoint 26
21. merica 26
21. Magna 26
21. Rackme32 - 26
25. immaf 27
25. clt013 - 27
25. 1stlvlthinker 27
25. ChexMix 27
25. Tybalteon 27
30. Maven 28
30. Vintsanity 28
32. classicroadster 29
32. clprez 29
34. WhatAreDogs 30
34. Badgerfellow 30
34. MarkBarrett 30
34. SBurrus 30
38. Kevin S. 31
39. casketromance 32
40. Blue Lion 34
41. mcsheffrey 35
42. lindap 37
43. GuessonGuessonGuess 40
Last edited by Peachbox on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Re: TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock! - Standings through Q5

Post by guessonguessonguess »

How often does the player in last place have no incorrect answers? Asking for a friend.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock! - Standings through Q5

Post by morbeedo »

I cannot believe Showboaty McBoatFace was a singleton! My TD instincts are all wrong.

For the movie question, I also pondered Another Earth and The Day the Earth Stood Still, but figured Venus in Fur (Polanski's adaption of the David Ives play), would be good for a singleton 8-)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:28 pm
Peachbox wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:36 am 2. Interplanet Janet

UNUSED

I have to give a shout-out to that 1967 Tommy Kirk classic Mars Need Women

And never forget the song by the inimitable Tonio K that it inspired.
Peachbox

TD 337 - Schoolhouse Rock! - Standings through Q7

Post by Peachbox »

6. America the Beautiful Quarters
quarters2.png
quarters2.png (194.28 KiB) Viewed 8586 times
CO-SHEEPS

F. North Dakota - 6
Kevin S.
floridagator
Tamest_Whiff
9021amyers
ElendilPickle
dklee12

I. Utah - 6
Olduvai George
classicroadster
Blue Lion
morbeedo
Vintsanity
clprez

E. Montana - 4
Tybalteon
casketromance
GuessonGuess
RichmondJ

C. Florida - 3

Gamawire
Sburrus
pauerpoint

D. California - 3
Rackme32
1stlvlthinker
MarkBarrett

J. West Virginia - 3
BobF
macrae1234
Aunt_Ija

K. South Dakota - 3
mcsheffrey
patkav
ouachiouat

A. Iowa - 2
clt013
Maven

B. Alaska - 2
immaf
Chex Mix

H. New York - 2
merica
econgator

SINGLETON !
G. Oklahoma

Magna

SINGLETON !
L. Kentucky

Category 13

DROP - 0
MattKnowles
lindap
WhatAreDogs

SHEEP - 6

Badgerfellow

NOPE :( - 9 (SHEEP + 3)
Vowela D. Wyoming
artshep G. Tennessee
Bamaman I. West Virginia

7. The Shot Heard 'Round the World

Pretty good distribution here, with an interesting split on the baseball options.
Questions and answers in spoiler.
Spoiler

Paul Revere is famous for his "midnight ride" to warn of advancing British troops in April 1775. But two other men rode to spread the news on April 18 as well. Name either; they’ll be counted separately.
William Dawes, Samuel Prescott
Revere's ride is recalled (inaccurately) in a poem by what author?
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
On April 19, 1775, colonial troops and British troops first battled in what Massachusetts town?
Lexington
After this incident, British troops proceeded to Concord, which is also the name of the capital of what U.S. state?
New Hampshire
The term "shot heard 'round the world" is from a commemorative 1837 poem entitled Concord Hymn written by what American?
Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Minute Man statue was unveiled at the 100th anniversary of two famous Revolutionary War battles. Name the man who sculpted it.
Daniel Chester French
The so-called Battle of Bunker Hill was mostly fought on what other nearby hill?
Breed's Hill
A pennant-winning home run that also came to be known as the "shot heard 'round the world" occurred in a baseball game on October 3, 1951. Name the batter who hit that home run, the pitcher who coughed it up, or the team either played for. Four possible answers, counted separately.
Bobby Thomson of the New York Giants hit the home run off of Ralph Branca of the Brooklyn Dodgers
Name the home team's announcer whose radio call of that home run became legendary.
Russ Hodges

SHEEP

Ralph Branca - 8
merica
Rackme32
9021amyers
1lvlthinker
BobF
Bamaman
econgator
dklee12

New York Giants - 6
Olduvai George
Maven
lindap
Vintsanity
Category 13
ouachiouat

Breed's Hill - 4
clt013
classicroadster
WhatAreDogs
immaf

Brooklyn Dodgers - 3
Matt Knowles
Tamest_Whiff
GuessonGuess

Bobby Thomson - 3
mcsheffrey
Kevin S.
casketromance

New Hampshire - 3
pauerpoint
Vowela
Aunt_Ija

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - 3

Magna
Gamawire
patkav

William Dawes - 2

MarkBarrett
RichmondJ

Daniel Chester French - 2

Badgerfellow
floridagator

Russ Hodges - 2
macrae1234
Blue Lion

Lexington - 2
clprez
artshep

SINGLETON !
Ralph Waldo Emerson
ChexMix

DROP - 0
Tybalteon
SBurrus
morbeedo

SO CLOSE - 11 (SHEEP + 3)
ElendilPickle - Thoreau

UNUSED
Samuel Prescott

STANDINGS AFTER Q7

1. macrae1234 - 13
2. Category 13 - 18
3. Tamest_Whiff 21
4. Vowela 23
4. ouachiouat 23
6. Aunt_Ija 24
7. floridagator 25
7. Gamawire 25
9. MattKnowles 27
10. patkav 28
11. artshep 29
12. ChexMix 30
12. Magna 30
12. RichmondJ 30
12. BobF 30
16. morbeedo 31
16. Tybalteon 31
18. 9021amyers 32
18. Olduvai George 32
18. pauerpoint 32
21. immaf 33
21. clt013 - 33
21. SBurrus 33
24. WhatAreDogs 34
24. econgator 34
26. MarkBarrett 35
26. dklee12 35
28. ElendilPickle 36
28. merica 36
28. Maven 36
31. Rackme32 - 37
31. clprez 37
33. 1stlvlthinker 38
33. Badgerfellow 38
35. Bamaman 39
35. classicroadster 39
35. casketromance 39
38. Vintsanity 40
38. Kevin S. 40
40. mcsheffrey 41
41. Blue Lion 42
42. lindap 43
43. GuessonGuessonGuess 47
Last edited by Peachbox on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.