TV Guide Once Acknowledged the Existence of "Jeopardy!"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

TV Guide Once Acknowledged the Existence of "Jeopardy!"

Post by trainman »

From the November 7, 1987 issue:

Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TV Guide Once Acknowledged the Existence of "Jeopardy!"

Post by Onairb »

trainman wrote:From the November 7, 1987 issue:

]
The TV GUIDE...and Jeopardy!...I grew up with..although I'd forgotten about this article. I miss those long-gone trademarks of the magazine...such as the smaller format, local listings, complete sentences written for people with an IQ greater than 20, and that little 'END' sign.
Just out of curiousity, who was on the cover?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Jeopardy! Was much better back then too. Tougher questions, sharper contestants & generally better games.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

On the cover, Jacqueline Bisset & Armand Assante in "Napoleon and Josephine: A Love Story"

(In the upper right hand corner, the blurb "Meet Those Amazing 'Jeopardy!' Champions")

Now, to go back to lurking again.... :D
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Btw a quick search shows that Jacqueline Bisset was on the cover.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I don't understand the thread title. Was there a period where TV Guide failed to acknowledge the show's existence? Or is this some joke that I am missing?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

That picture must have been taken just after the 1986 semifinalists were announced. [edit: of course, it pretty much says so in the caption. In my defense, the right side of full-sized images is cut off when I browse this board on my phone. Speaking of the caption, it has a misspelling of Paul Rouffa's name.] Also, I think it's kind of cruel that they asked Guy Tonti the FJ clue that helped eliminate him, but of course he'll get it right after the fact!
Last edited by seaborgium on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Games Magazine had an article on J! in the January 1987 issue. It was written by Steven Dorfman and focused on the writers of the day, as per Ken Jennings' blog in April 2008. TV Guide did a review of J! in Spring 1988.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

And, in the May 1, 1989, issue of SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, this feature story by Franz Lidz..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm
which apparently drew a mixed reaction. Quite a few sports fans enjoyed reading about one of their favorite shows, others felt the article was more appropriate for magazines like..TV GUIDE.
(Check out the clue on pages 6 and 7...sound familiar?)
Sage on the Hudson

The twilight of TV Guide: RADNOROK

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Johnblue wrote:Jeopardy! Was much better back then too. Tougher questions, sharper contestants & generally better games.
legendneverdies wrote:Games Magazine had an article on J! in the January 1987 issue. It was written by Steven Dorfman and focused on the writers of the day, as per Ken Jennings' blog in April 2008. TV Guide did a review of J! in Spring 1988.
The above observations are not unrelated. Scarcely a day goes by that I don't lament Dorfman's death; just as his writing skills presumably inspired the rest of the writing to do its best work, so did a more challenging show likely winnow out those applicants who would prove to be less able contestants.
Austin Powers

Re: The twilight of TV Guide: RADNOROK

Post by Austin Powers »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Jeopardy! Was much better back then too. Tougher questions, sharper contestants & generally better games.
legendneverdies wrote:Games Magazine had an article on J! in the January 1987 issue. It was written by Steven Dorfman and focused on the writers of the day, as per Ken Jennings' blog in April 2008. TV Guide did a review of J! in Spring 1988.
The above observations are not unrelated. Scarcely a day goes by that I don't lament Dorfman's death; just as his writing skills presumably inspired the rest of the writing to do its best work, so did a more challenging show likely winnow out those applicants who would prove to be less able contestants.
Grandpa, grandpa! Tell us a story!
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I remember the Clarabell the Clown FJ. I remember getting it correct because I had seen a clip of that scene on an NBC Retrospective special only a short time before. I was 11.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

nserven wrote:I remember the Clarabell the Clown FJ. I remember getting it correct because I had seen a clip of that scene on an NBC Retrospective special only a short time before. I was 11.
Goodbye, Kids, as said by Clarabell, was the quote on the box of the Trivial Pursuit Baby Boomer edition.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Onairb wrote:I miss those long-gone trademarks of the magazine...such as the smaller format, local listings, complete sentences written for people with an IQ greater than 20, and that little 'END' sign.
The most surprising thing about this article -- this is not something that was ever typical of TV Guide -- is that it included a 2-page spread with no pictures whatsoever.

Yes, my subject line was alluding to the current state of TV Guide, since I'd be very surprised if they've run articles about the show recently -- and I don't think it even makes it into what's left of their program listings, given that it's a "local" show.

At any rate, here's the cover of this issue:

(I'm in the process of scanning the covers of a big pile of '80s issues I acquired a couple months ago; I ran across the article and scanned it for the board.)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

trainman wrote:Image
Boy, those Jeopardy champs sure dress fancy!

Oh, wait...
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

When I first glanced at that cover, I thought it was Rowan Atkinson.

- HackenBaldrick
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

So THAT'S what Armand Assante looks like...

(I've remembered his name for years ever since I saw "The Santa Clause" and Tim Allen briefly mentioned him, but that's all I've known of him until now. :D)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

barandall800 wrote:So THAT'S what Armand Assante looks like...

(I've remembered his name for years ever since I saw "The Santa Clause" and Tim Allen briefly mentioned him, but that's all I've known of him until now. :D)
I've always remembered him as Odysseus in the 1997 NBC mini-series version of The Oydssey, back in the days of the big sweeps month mini-series.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

jeff6286 wrote:
barandall800 wrote:So THAT'S what Armand Assante looks like...

I've always remembered him as Odysseus in the 1997 NBC mini-series version of The Oydssey, back in the days of the big sweeps month mini-series.
I totally remember when they used to do those! Not that particular one, though. (And funnily enough, thinking right now, I remember seeing info about them in, you guessed it, TV Guide. Well, the insert they used to have in the newspaper, anyway.)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Assante was in movies too: He played the nasty French lover of Private Benjamin and he did one of those Stallone monstrosities.