Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

badgerfellow
One and Done

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by badgerfellow »

Ironic moment of the day: Last night, the Badgers lose to Florida in buzzer-beating fashion in overtime in the NCAA tournament. I wake up this morning and realize, after losing 5 of the last 7 in LearnedLeague, that my chances of promotion to B Rundle hinge on beating a Florida alum. Of course.
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Is there a term for when two players tie when each gets the 0 question wrong?
In my match we tied after getting everything except the 0 marked questions right.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Another lucky break for me: a 2(1)-0(F) win! It was also my second forfeit win of the season. As long as I stay at the bottom of my rundle in terms of CAA the questions can play tough all they want to!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

skullturf wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:40 am I am pleased to report that I broke my personal record for total correct answers in a season, with one match day still to come!
Congrats! I need four to tie and five to break my record.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

ihavejeoprosy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:28 pm Is there a term for when two players tie when each gets the 0 question wrong?
In my match we tied after getting everything except the 0 marked questions right.
A double Dolly perhaps?
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

patkav wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:01 am
alietr wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:25 pm
patkav wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:05 pm
boson wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:27 am 4 points separate 26th from 12th in our rundle. Still not safe from relegation!
<sigh> :(

~24th place
We are not going to have you relegated out of our rundle. Stay strong!
Thanks for the vote of confidence, boss. But I'm definitely out. Looks like I have good company, though.

Edit: sorry, I missed your post, Cyndi. I'm most likely gone, but I'll be back! (Stupid 4-minute experiment!)
I wouldn't say it's definite. All you have to do from 26th place is beat the current leader--who has seven consecutive six-packs but has never played LLLive--and hope that at least two people in 19th to 25th lose.
In and out of the pool four times
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:34 am
rpg wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:28 am On the questions themselves, I'm surprised by two things: first, that 'cartoon' had the lowest get rates, since I thought it was a WECIB? type question, and second, that 'rashers' had such a high get rate (relatively speaking), which I wouldn't have known had I not spent time living in England and to which I blithely assigned 3 points, to my detriment.
I missed both questions. I said "diorama" on the former. On the latter, I recognized the answer as something to do with bacon, but I don't think I would have come up with it.
I said "scribble"--never heard cartoon in that context. Thought of rasher but thought it referred to a portion rather than a cut, so went with ham for my third MCWA of the day along with red for horse and Hellenic.
In and out of the pool four times
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

This season, I've managed to win multiple games in C Rundle with just 2 right. Now I'm one point away from getting promoted! After 24 games, I have 79 TCA and 103 TMP, so I won't break my previous records of 86 and 116. After seven seasons, the difference between my lowest and highest TCA's is just eight, so I've been very consistent even though my positions in the standings have been very up and down.
LL72 reminds me a lot of LL68, when the first half was quite easy and the middle/end got really hard.
Hoping for a third lap
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

reddpen wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:04 pmI said "scribble"--never heard cartoon in that context. Thought of rasher but thought it referred to a portion rather than a cut, so went with ham for my third MCWA of the day along with red for horse and Hellenic.
I wrote "crayon" for "cartoon" and "gammon" for "rasher", and had no idea what "Pferd" and "Ross" meant in English--even though I took a year of German in college. Oy.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Blue Lion wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:45 pm I wrote "crayon" for "cartoon" and "gammon" for "rasher"
Likewise.

However, I knew Pferd was horse because my brother took German in high school, thought that word was funny, and shared it with me. But until I saw the question, I assumed it ended with T.

I checked out my stats, and it turns out I've answered more questions correctly in LL72 than in any other season, even with six questions left.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

boson wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 amHmm, this might have been a good time for my opponent to purposely miss the classical music question. Bring down the percentage for that category, maybe get some points in a later game, very likely to get zero on it this time. We need Vermonter to start a web page on next level LL strategies.
I would, but I can't seem to master them myself. (My DE is an abysmal .641 this season.)
cmp146 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:15 pmI face Vermonter today (good luck!).
Well played! That was a match and set of questions I hope I soon forget. :)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I said crayon as well. When I saw cartoon, I remembered the term, however. No way I was going to come up with it, however.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

Vermonter wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:00 pm
cmp146 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:15 pmI face Vermonter today (good luck!).
Well played! That was a match and set of questions I hope I soon forget. :)
I got very lucky on several of those. My german is pretty nonexistant but a trip to Vienna and the Spanish Riding School was very helpful. I spent a long time with my defense too. Better luck next time!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I just had my first anxiety dream about LL, so I guess it's become an important part of my life.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

trainman wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:50 am I just had my first anxiety dream about LL, so I guess it's become an important part of my life.
I slept on these questions, and I dreamed that Louboutin was the answer to Q1. (I'm not sure I had heard of the correct answer before I submitted, so I find it curious that I came as phonetically close to his name as I did.)
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Last match day of my rookie season. Need a lot of help to stay out of E, as I need to win AND the two people ahead of me to lose in order to move me up to D next season. I feel like I've "outperformed" with regards to answering questions (based on practice rounds from seasons past), but played horrible defense (bottom 3-4 in my Rundle I think), so I probably deserve to go to E.

It's been a lot of fun, will be back next season. See you guys on the other side!
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Mike Breen
Contributor

Post by Mike Breen »

Gotta leave this here because nobody I know IRL gives a crap (not that anyone here necessarily would either). Decisively clinched 1st in D Skyline Div 2 in my sophomore season and feeling proud of myself :P
clprez

Post by clprez »

Mike Breen wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:16 pm Gotta leave this here because nobody I know IRL gives a crap (not that anyone here necessarily would either). Decisively clinched 1st in D Skyline Div 2 in my sophomore season and feeling proud of myself :P
Congrats!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 am Last match day of my rookie season. Need a lot of help to stay out of E, as I need to win AND the two people ahead of me to lose in order to move me up to D next season. I feel like I've "outperformed" with regards to answering questions (based on practice rounds from seasons past), but played horrible defense (bottom 3-4 in my Rundle I think), so I probably deserve to go to E.

It's been a lot of fun, will be back next season. See you guys on the other side!
Rookies often get placed into lower rundles than where they belong, and so you probably have a lot of ladder climbing to look forward to. Before E rundles existed, someone you may have heard of named Alex Jacob was placed in a D rundle and eventually climbed up to an A rundle. A non-notable quizzer whose JBoard name happens to be a play-on-words of the name of a former UN Secretary-General just missed being placed in an E rundle after his rookie season, and took 8 seasons to climb from D to A. If these two people can do it, so can you.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Minions played way harder than I expected.