Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:13 am Minions played way harder than I expected.
I lost 6(5)-9(5) in my private rundle to a film actor who missed that.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

4th in C1 Magnolia by 2 points ! Arrgh ! :x

Singing the "Will I ever get out of C Rundle" Blues
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:37 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 am Last match day of my rookie season. Need a lot of help to stay out of E, as I need to win AND the two people ahead of me to lose in order to move me up to D next season. I feel like I've "outperformed" with regards to answering questions (based on practice rounds from seasons past), but played horrible defense (bottom 3-4 in my Rundle I think), so I probably deserve to go to E.

It's been a lot of fun, will be back next season. See you guys on the other side!
Rookies often get placed into lower rundles than where they belong, and so you probably have a lot of ladder climbing to look forward to. Before E rundles existed, someone you may have heard of named Alex Jacob was placed in a D rundle and eventually climbed up to an A rundle. A non-notable quizzer whose JBoard name happens to be a play-on-words of the name of a former UN Secretary-General just missed being placed in an E rundle after his rookie season, and took 8 seasons to climb from D to A. If these two people can do it, so can you.
JacobAB's six forfeits that rookie season didn't help.
reddpen wrote:
patkav wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence, boss. But I'm definitely out. Looks like I have good company, though.
I wouldn't say it's definite. All you have to do from 26th place is beat the current leader--who has seven consecutive six-packs but has never played LLLive--and hope that at least two people in 19th to 25th lose.
Well drop my teeth, look what happened. Congrats, patkav! You're staying in A while that amateur Colby Burnett is headed for B. And if WaldronK meant to lose by missing the two easiest questions, it didn't work. We'll see how she does if she shows up in Vegas or otherwise competes in LLLive.
In and out of the pool four times
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I ended the season with a win (against an opponent I was 0-3 against previously) to finish 11-11-3 and in 11th place. In Rundle E I will stay for LL73. I finished one correct answer and three match points shy of my previous record, my fifth in LL.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

rpg wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:27 pm This will be my rookie season, I've been waiting for this for months. Very excited. My only goal is avoiding placement into E, to be honest. It'll be interesting to see what my best and worst categories will be; I predict a top 3 of Math, Geography??, and Literature??? though I've got no real idea. Bottom 3 will probably be Pop Music, Film, and maybe like Bus/Econ.
Well, after a nailbiter finish, a 2(2) - 1(2) victory today has secured me a (rather undeserved) place in B next season (!!!), so I met this goal with flying colors. My category predictions were wildly off, though. Math was indeed my top category, and Film was indeed in my bottom 3, but Geography actually ended up being one of my worst categories, and I would never have expected that Food/Drink would come in at #2 for me.

I'll have a devil of a time fending off relegation next season, I fear. How much TV do you think it's possible to watch in the next two months? :mrgreen:
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

After a truly horrible season where every day there seemed to be at least two things I couldn't even make a guess on...well at least I can look forward to not getting relegated again next season as there is no rundle below E...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

What great timing to bring up the antipodes! A 6(5)-6(4) tie sends me to B for LL73! Very lucky as my opponent's only misses were on the safety and caliper questions, the 2 with the highest get rates. I'm going to need to brush up on defensive efficiency, because I'm in for a bumpy ride otherwise.

That said, I want to say thank you to JBoard for the great game discussions and recommendations on books. I used Steven Ferrill's book to prep for my upcoming appearance on the show, and consequently, I performed better in LearnedLeague than I figured I would. I recommend it if you're studying for the show or trivia in general.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

I am flabbergasted, reddpen.

Pleased, but flabbergasted.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I set a personal record for correct answers in a season, and I'm also pleased to have done well in two of my worst categories. I went 6 for 7 in Business and Economics (my worst category) and 10 for 11 in Food and Drink (my fourth worst category).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:13 am Minions played way harder than I expected.
I was ready to leave that one blank but "characters" got me thinking minions! Good for two points and the win! And a first place finish in my LL debut! I'm really gonna get hammered in Rundle B, but you can't win 'em all right?
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

I was very happy to be just out of promotion range, but somehow a tie on the last day was enough for me to get the last spot for promotion to Rundle A Piedmont. I'll just prepare to be completely humiliated in LL 73, thanks.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Thanks all for sharing this space to talk about LL72 - somehow it is a lot more personal here than the LL message boards. I enjoyed having a bunch of AMag'ers and RundleInTheJundle folk to compare answers with.

Everyone in AMag had at least 100 correct answers - the first time that has happened, with some seasons over 10 people under 100. My best season ever by 10 correct answers - lots of reversion to the mean over the second half though.

I lost to CMP146 again in the private rundle. I believe (though the private records are harder to track) I've now lost to her more than anyone else. Sigh - just like real life.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

skullturf wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:03 am I set a personal record for correct answers in a season, and I'm also pleased to have done well in two of my worst categories. I went 6 for 7 in Business and Economics (my worst category) and 10 for 11 in Food and Drink (my fourth worst category).
I also topped my high TCA. I feel like this season played easier than previous ones.
Mike Breen
Contributor

Post by Mike Breen »

clprez wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:20 pm
Mike Breen wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:16 pm Gotta leave this here because nobody I know IRL gives a crap (not that anyone here necessarily would either). Decisively clinched 1st in D Skyline Div 2 in my sophomore season and feeling proud of myself :P
Congrats!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:51 pm Congrats! I need four to tie and five to break my record.
I ended up with four correct to tie my best TCA with 114. That's the fifth time in 13 seasons I've gotten 114 TCA. How weird is that?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:16 am
skullturf wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:03 am I set a personal record for correct answers in a season, and I'm also pleased to have done well in two of my worst categories. I went 6 for 7 in Business and Economics (my worst category) and 10 for 11 in Food and Drink (my fourth worst category).
I also topped my high TCA. I feel like this season played easier than previous ones.
I was 6 below my previously worst TCA, so I disagree. :)

I think I set a MCWA record for myself, too, with 19.
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

The only personal record set this season for me was ties, which came up a lot - 7 in all. 9-9-7 seems about right for an uneven season where I started strong, dropped hard, picked it back up, and then hit some bumps again on the back stretch. After a brutal season last year by both competition and TCA standards, I've landed myself in the middle of C Horizon with a slightly better than average TCA, so I'll take it.

Thanks to the fellow competitors in the private rundle - I know I'm not a particulary vocal participant, but for the second straight season I really enjoyed stepping up above my weight class to try to match your wits.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

rpg wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:00 am Well, after a nailbiter finish, a 2(2) - 1(2) victory today has secured me a (rather undeserved) place in B next season (!!!), so I met this goal with flying colors. My category predictions were wildly off, though. Math was indeed my top category, and Film was indeed in my bottom 3, but Geography actually ended up being one of my worst categories, and I would never have expected that Food/Drink would come in at #2 for me.

I'll have a devil of a time fending off relegation next season, I fear. How much TV do you think it's possible to watch in the next two months? :mrgreen:
Wasn't so much a nailbiter for me (win, tie...even a close loss would've worked), but undeserved still feels right. My Jason Heyward defense covered for my Jason Heyward offense something crazy, so that won't last in BPac. Still, I'll have a new row of stats!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:48 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:51 pm Congrats! I need four to tie and five to break my record.
I ended up with four correct to tie my best TCA with 114. That's the fifth time in 13 seasons I've gotten 114 TCA. How weird is that?
I am continually impressed by the consistency of the overall difficulty level from one season to the next (despite some suggestions that this season may have been slightly easier).

I had 114 TCA this season which is my new record, and my TCA numbers for the previous four seasons were 106, 109, 107, and 106. How does Thorsten do it?
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:37 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 am Last match day of my rookie season. Need a lot of help to stay out of E, as I need to win AND the two people ahead of me to lose in order to move me up to D next season. I feel like I've "outperformed" with regards to answering questions (based on practice rounds from seasons past), but played horrible defense (bottom 3-4 in my Rundle I think), so I probably deserve to go to E.

It's been a lot of fun, will be back next season. See you guys on the other side!
Rookies often get placed into lower rundles than where they belong, and so you probably have a lot of ladder climbing to look forward to. Before E rundles existed, someone you may have heard of named Alex Jacob was placed in a D rundle and eventually climbed up to an A rundle. A non-notable quizzer whose JBoard name happens to be a play-on-words of the name of a former UN Secretary-General just missed being placed in an E rundle after his rookie season, and took 8 seasons to climb from D to A. If these two people can do it, so can you.
Given how well I answer questions, I "probably" belong in D, and might Peter Principle to C at one point, but definitely don't belong there yet.

For this game, I won due to forfeit, but the people ahead of me also won. Next season, my goal is to improve on the abysmal 0.500 DE from this season.
Now swimming in the J! pool.