Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:50 pm Just depends on how bad you want a chance to be on Jeopardy. Personally, I think it's laughable that people scoff at a 10+ hour bus ride if it's the only viable option. There's people on this board that would walk if given the chance.
BobF wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:26 pm True. I'm speaking from my own experience where I'd rather wait for an audition to happen in one of NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC or Orlando in the months my parents are down there (Nov-Apr). I think this woman's best option is to explain to the coordinators her situation and kindly ask to be included in any future audition that might occur in Ontario or Quebec or even Syracuse.

Her rational decision, from a purely economic standpoint is to skip. It will have a pretty consequential adverse affect on her if she goes with a roughly 1 in 7 chance of a payoff, and even the payoff has a 1 in 3 chance of not even being enough to cover airfare and accommodations to and in LA. So we're looking at a roughly 9% chance of breaking even and probably a 3% chance of getting enough money to balance out how badly going to the audition would affect her finances.
Sure, the rational move would be to skip. But of course Jeopardy makes rational people do irrational things!

For what it's worth, she would have a better than 1 in 7 chance of a tape date because she's a woman. Far fewer women at auditions than men but the contestant ratio on air is still 50/50. No worse than a 1 in 5 chance for her, men have something like a 1 in 9 chance. Assuming of course your 1 in 7 overall is accurate, I'm blanking on the normal number of audition spots per year.

But it sure is frustrating for boardies to see an attitude like this from one who has been given a golden ticket. Oh no, I got picked for another audition. This sucks. :roll: :roll: :roll:
BobF

Post by BobF »

Golf wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:50 pm
Sure, the rational move would be to skip. But of course Jeopardy makes rational people do irrational things!

For what it's worth, she would have a better than 1 in 7 chance of a tape date because she's a woman. Far fewer women at auditions than men but the contestant ratio on air is still 50/50. No worse than a 1 in 5 chance for her, men have something like a 1 in 9 chance. Assuming of course your 1 in 7 overall is accurate, I'm blanking on the normal number of audition spots per year.

But it sure is frustrating for boardies to see an attitude like this from one who has been given a golden ticket. Oh no, I got picked for another audition. This sucks. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Good point. Her odds might actually be BETTER than 1 in 5. At each of my auditions, I was told that annually they invite roughly 3000 people and there are roughly 400 spots on the show. I would really be interested to see what the actual odds are for women versus men. I could probably run a quick little poll on here asking gender and number of times auditioned to get a rough idea of what percentage of auditioners are female, but I think our sample size is likely too small for it to be accurate.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Golf

Post by Golf »

BobF wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:04 pm Good point. Her odds might actually be BETTER than 1 in 5. At each of my auditions, I was told that annually they invite roughly 3000 people and there are roughly 400 spots on the show. I would really be interested to see what the actual odds are for women versus men. I could probably run a quick little poll on here asking gender and number of times auditioned to get a rough idea of what percentage of auditioners are female, but I think our sample size is likely too small for it to be accurate.
From my personal experience and what I've read there, it's around 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 females at the auditions. When Millionaire was strictly phone qualifying the number of women contestants was roughly 1 in 5. So I think at most it's 1 in 3 and most likely closer to 1 in 4. So at worst, using your numbers, there are 1000 women at auditions vying for 200 spots, so 1 in 5. Using 1 in 4 at auditions that leaves 750 women vying for 200 spots so 1 in 3.75.

I don't even want to run the numbers for men. :evil:
BobF

Post by BobF »

Golf wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:15 pm From my personal experience and what I've read there, it's around 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 females at the auditions. When Millionaire was strictly phone qualifying the number of women contestants was roughly 1 in 5. So I think at most it's 1 in 3 and most likely closer to 1 in 4. So at worst, using your numbers, there are 1000 women at auditions vying for 200 spots, so 1 in 5. Using 1 in 4 at auditions that leaves 750 women vying for 200 spots so 1 in 3.75.

I don't even want to run the numbers for men. :evil:
I'll spoilerize it for those who don't want to look.
Spoiler
Assuming 1/3 women and 2/3 men, 2000 men vie for 200 spots, 10%
Assuming 1/4 women and 3/4 men, 2250 men vie for 200 spots, 8.89%
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

You all know the contestant coordination team monitors social media, including this board, right?

And that in the past 18 months or so, at least two boardies have held fundraising drives to help them get to auditions?

Your posts have not been entirely kind.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

BobF wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Good point. Her odds might actually be BETTER than 1 in 5. At each of my auditions, I was told that annually they invite roughly 3000 people and there are roughly 400 spots on the show. I would really be interested to see what the actual odds are for women versus men. I could probably run a quick little poll on here asking gender and number of times auditioned to get a rough idea of what percentage of auditioners are female, but I think our sample size is likely too small for it to be accurate.
Do you really want to start all that outchange/rift trend nonsense again?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm Megan's really killing me with her audition sob story on Twitter! :evil:
What sob story? She is, very sensibly, working to figure out how to afford the trip.

Don't make your LLama mama come over there and smack you.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

ElendilPickle wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:34 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm Megan's really killing me with her audition sob story on Twitter! :evil:
What sob story? She is, very sensibly, working to figure out how to afford the trip.

That's just me being snarky, but now I see that it was an ill-considered remark. I wish her the best of luck getting to NYC.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:41 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:34 pm

That's just me being snarky, but now I see that it was an ill-considered remark. I wish her the best of luck getting to NYC.
Very ill-considered.

Signed, one of the boardies patkav was referring to who thinks that this is definitely an opportunity to go for. (If she runs her own fundraising, I'll pay it forward and donate, as I'm still incredibly touched by the boardies that did the same for me.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BobF

Post by BobF »

ElendilPickle wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:33 pm
BobF wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Do you really want to start all that outchange/rift trend nonsense again?
Nope, I'm just a numbers guy. Jeopardy! putting more female contestants on the show is bad for me personally in the near term, but probably better for the show's longevity. Not going to complain at all about something I have zero control over. Just gotta score better on the tests and shine in the auditions, all I can do.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

It was rumored a few months ago that there was going to be a test this month, and it didn't happen unless I missed it. Has anyone heard anything about a test in the near future?
Leopardy!
Contributor

Post by Leopardy! »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:42 am
goatman wrote:I've said this so many times idk why I repeat it no one seems to take free advice but; go to AMZN.com and buy a brand spankin new 5th edition of Steven Ferrill's Game Show Trivia.tv formerly aka The Cultural Literacy Trivia Guide
Agree totally. By the way, his website contains a good preview of what's inside the book, which I highly recommend.
Caveat Jboardie: I got the book (5th ed.) and returned it after finding three errors within several pages near the front. Also, the author's website has been suspended as of this moment, though it
was up last week.
raccoonleaf
Contributor

Post by raccoonleaf »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:46 am It was rumored a few months ago that there was going to be a test this month, and it didn't happen unless I missed it. Has anyone heard anything about a test in the near future?
There has not been a test since October.

The only rumor I've seen is that the next online qualifying test is in May (Go to about 3:50 http://www.azfamily.com/clip/13037316/j ... -auditions).

Has anyone kept a list of which cities have had invites and/or auditions since October? Here's what I've seen:

Phoenix, AZ
San Diego, CA
Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
gsabc
Contributor

Post by gsabc »

raccoonleaf wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:14 pm Has anyone kept a list of which cities have had invites and/or auditions since October? Here's what I've seen:

Phoenix, AZ
San Diego, CA
Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
I'm interested to know the areas around the audition sites from which the auditioners were chosen. How far afield did TPTB go? (Wondering if the Boston area was included in the NYC invitations.)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

gsabc wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:30 pm
raccoonleaf wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:14 pm Has anyone kept a list of which cities have had invites and/or auditions since October? Here's what I've seen:

Phoenix, AZ
San Diego, CA
Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
I'm interested to know the areas around the audition sites from which the auditioners were chosen. How far afield did TPTB go? (Wondering if the Boston area was included in the NYC invitations.)
At least one person from Ottawa was invited to the NYC auditions... so they went pretty far for that one at least.
BobF

Post by BobF »

boson wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:40 pm

Phoenix, AZ
San Diego, CA
Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
At least one person from Ottawa was invited to the NYC auditions... so they went pretty far for that one at least.
Google maps shows NYC is a slightly shorter drive from Ottawa than Boston is.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

BobF wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:44 pm
boson wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:40 pm

Phoenix, AZ
San Diego, CA
Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Google maps shows NYC is a slightly shorter drive from Ottawa than Boston is.
Even more distressing - Ottawa is further from NYC than Kingston ON. Distressing to me anyhow.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Had a very strange dream last night.

Background: When I walk my dog, after I fill the bag with his waste, I will also pick up bits of trash (or other piles) on the ground, just to keep my neighborhood looking better.

So, in the dream, I was walking my dog, and there was a bunch of garbage strewn around that seemed to be evidence of a nearby Jeopardy! audition having occurred on April 13th. There was also a beautiful blond with dazzling blue eyes sunbathing in the midst of this trash.

Odd part is, April 13th is the day I leave for Myrtle Beach.
jgeek14
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jgeek14 »

Minneapolis invites went out this morning for the first week of May.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:50 pm Just depends on how bad you want a chance to be on Jeopardy. Personally, I think it's laughable that people scoff at a 10+ hour bus ride if it's the only viable option. There's people on this board that would walk if given the chance.
You rang??????