Wednesday, March 29, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dinghammer
No Relation

Re: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dinghammer »

Maven wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:39 pm Well, I royally hate that FJ just couldn't quite come to me like it should have tonight, the nut for all that is space and sci-fi-esque words I usually am. My mom got it, and the very moment she said 'godspeed', I knew she was right. Oy...
Same here. Except, y'know, with my mom instead of yours.

If I were in the habit of writing down my FJ responses, I probably would have realized I was misspelling excelsior (true believers!). I still don't think I would have come up with the correct response, though.

At least I wasn't trying to think of 4-word phrases for the 4-letter words category.

I also would have liked to see the rest of the flag clues.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

grindcore wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:08 am
Maven wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:39 pm So...Godspeed Me! Black Empress? :geek: ;)
I will be ticking the "I was surprised and very pleased to see a GY!BE reference in Wednesday's game thread" for this weekend's poll.
8-)
dinghammer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:13 amIf I were in the habit of writing down my FJ responses, I probably would have realized I was misspelling excelsior (true believers!). I still don't think I would have come up with the correct response, though.
I thought of excelsior too (but immediately dismissed it, being one letter too many)!! You truly know you're a Marvelite when... :D Too bad it wasn't excelsior...that would have honestly been an awesome sauce way to send off Mr. Glenn.
dhkendall wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:28 amFlag category (or any geography-related category, really) left to the end and having less than half the clues revealed makes dhk [image](very angry...you wouldn't like dhk when he is angry ;) )[/image]

dinghammer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:13 amI also would have liked to see the rest of the flag clues.
Thirded...and not just because I feel like there was a slight chance I might could have actually run it, but also I really, REALLY like the flag/geography categories a lot myself. They rank right up there on my list of categories that if not finished, make me She-Hulk out...

And believe me, I'm STILL grumbling about the Jazz category, in all of its uber-rarity, not being finished last week.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5soUes2-LrU

Gospeed John Glenn was an instaget for me because the commercial for the space museum near my home played it constantly throughout the eighties.

The monk's clasp stumped me because the example the provided look puritan-esque, so I buzzed in with 'deacon.'
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:50 pm
grindcore wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:13 pm Is it me or was the FJ category a bit misleading? John Glenn dying was in the news, but was NASA wishing him godspeed considered newsworthy? I was expecting a newly coined buzzword or something. Eh, still got it though.
Strictly speaking, NASA saying godspeed in 2016 wouldn't in of itself be newsworthy, but godspeed is one of those words that's just so NASA.
Interestingly, that plaque has it as two words.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:53 pm If a player adds an "s" to Revelation that is a bust. Six-Day War with an extra "s" will fly.
I think that is fine. One is a book of the Bible, the other is a name for a war.
Yay, I got everything right in ASIAN FLAGS. Boo, it was only a 2/2 thanks to the three unplayed clues. That will cost DHK $4800 on his Coryat.
I also ran flags, though the hardly required an expert knowledge as one had nothing to do with flags and the other required knowing what Israel's flag looks like.

Too bad I had not recalled this post.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3912&p=234524&hilit ... ed#p234524

Even if I had played the clue closer to December there is no guarantee I join the players in the solve. Julie played both DD2 & DD3 with correct responses, so as should happen she had the lead for the FJ! round. Instead of betting too little this time she went the other way and bet a tad too much. It's two wins and the chance to play a third game. That's what matters for her.
I guess it would have been funny if I'd missed this after this big promotion. Fortunately, I got this one right away.

I went 4/5 in my birth year. I didn't know Stalin's daughter's name. I knew her defection was big news back in the day, but her name is not one that ever stuck with me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 pm
Didn't recognize anything in that sport category, for that matter. Where did they dig up all these obscure Z-grade teams?
I ran the category nd while I know you aren't big into sports, I agree they were somewhat obscure. But one was one that was gettable as it was just a sport that starts with the letter v.
WLT Islam at $400?
It said it was a religious symbol. Even if you don't know the crescent is an Islamic symbol, it was still a simple clue.

It wasn't a cross or anything Jewish looking. So that leaves us with one other huge religion. Yes, there are others outside the big three, but this is a top row, use the KISS policy.

No guess on FJ! This seemed very YEKIOYD. How the hell was it a triple get?!
They all knew it.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:05 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 pm
They all knew it.
First comment today to make me choke on my coffee.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:05 pm It wasn't a cross or anything Jewish looking. So that leaves us with one other huge religion. Yes, there are others outside the big three, but this is a top row, use the KISS policy.
"It's not the cross or the star of David, and Islam doesn't have any symbol that I know of, so... yeah, I'm totally stumped."
They all knew it.
How? This seems like a very arcane obscure fact. It's a common word that's been used in lots of other contexts. It's like asking what the guy had for breakfast that day.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

Couldn't pull the FJ! word in time. Went with 'sayonara' just to have something, but I knew it was wrong.
Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 pm I also ran flags, though the hardly required an expert knowledge as one had nothing to do with flags and the other required knowing what Israel's flag looks like.

[...]

I went 4/5 in my birth year. I didn't know Stalin's daughter's name. I knew her defection was big news back in the day, but her name is not one that ever stuck with me.
Both these clues threw me just long enough to get beat on the buzzer. The Israeli flag clue asked for the "traditional" name of the Star of David, and I thought they were looking for a Hebrew name of the Star. And on the Stalin clue, Alex gave "Lana," and I was thinking "well, 'Svetlana' must be too easy for this bottom clue" long enough to get beat. Should've followed the KISS rule.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 pm
They all knew it.
How? This seems like a very arcane obscure fact. It's a common word that's been used in lots of other contexts. It's like asking what the guy had for breakfast that day.
That's how I guessed it. I just tried to think of a common word that people might say in those contexts.

Don't feel bad if it didn't click. Several other people on this board admitted that the correct answer didn't come to them in those 30 seconds. But I just tried to guess things people might have said after John Glenn's passing. Like "thank you" or "god bless" or "rest in peace" or "happy trails" or "here's to you" or something vaguely along those lines. It had to be a single word. So we needed a single word that might mean something like "god bless you" or "peace be with you on your journey". If it doesn't click, it doesn't click. It happens to the best of us. Don't beat yourself up if you couldn't come up with the desired 8-letter word in those 30 seconds. I'm just explaining my thought process.
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

skullturf wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:15 pm That's how I guessed it. I just tried to think of a common word that people might say in those contexts.

Don't feel bad if it didn't click. Several other people on this board admitted that the correct answer didn't come to them in those 30 seconds. But I just tried to guess things people might have said after John Glenn's passing. Like "thank you" or "god bless" or "rest in peace" or "happy trails" or "here's to you" or something vaguely along those lines. It had to be a single word. So we needed a single word that might mean something like "god bless you" or "peace be with you on your journey". If it doesn't click, it doesn't click. It happens to the best of us. Don't beat yourself up if you couldn't come up with the desired 8-letter word in those 30 seconds. I'm just explaining my thought process.
I went with "farewell" as my best default (and knee-jerk) guess. When I mentioned the clue to my co-worker later on (who guessed it almost immediately "out of nowhere") he said "gee, when you say that to a guy taking off in a rocket, isn't that just a bad omen?"
davey

Post by davey »

I wouldn't say the use of "godspeed" at Glenn's death was so newsy, but I've probably heard the recording of Scott Carpenter saying "Godspeed, John Glenn" a hundred times-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5soUes2-LrU
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Instaget FJ.

Glenn comes off as a major (pun intended) jerk in Tom Wolfe's brilliant The Right Stuff; apparently this portrayal had some basis in reality - back in the '80s, a co-worker of mine told me that he had supported Glenn's 1957 transcontinental speed-record-setting flight, and that in his opinion Wolfe went easy on Glenn. :lol:
davey

Post by davey »

And Glenn is portrayed as a mensch in Hidden Figures.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They all knew it.
[/quote]

I have no idea how they all knew it. My guess is that they read it somewhere. That's how I knew it. That's why I used the phrase in my post the day he died (in the link in Mark's post at the top of the thread).