New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:53 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:31 pm Okay, eagle eyes. New question.

What is the column 1 category in the Jeopardy round of this game?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4tjoq8
It's definitely WORD ORIGINS. You can see it more clearly as the camera zooms in for the $100 clue in GUINNESS RECORDS at 2:43.
I'll take that as definitive, especially since that means I don't have to change it. Thanks to all.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

And I did get to a second game, December 15, 1987, Robin Maisel vs. Winona Phillips vs. Stephanie Johns

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5585

Animfan1's video was missing the first 10 clues of the game, but fortunately the round 1 Daily Double wasn't chosen until the end, so that's in there. DJ ended with a DD too, and the DD in the FRENCH LITERATURE category was not played.

I alert Mark to the TV TAKEOVERS category in round 1, all about people who replaced other people on TV shows. A couple of the clues are things I think I've covered in recaps of other early games. An easy 5/5 for you, I'm guessing.

I think Winona may have been Daily Double hunting. She would jump to the row 3 clue and then the row 5 clue, when she got the chance.

Note to future correction suggesters, both "outcastes" and "Hameln" in the 1933 category are spelled correctly, per the game display.

After seeing SCIENTIFIC SPELLING for $600, I correctly anticipated what the $800 clue was going to be.

And extra $101 by Robin for that last DD bet and he could have locked up the game.

Final Jeopardy is WORLD GEOGRAPHY, but it's a Vermonter's Nightmare wordplay clue. I got it in what I'll say was 30 seconds. How do you do?
The only 2 countries whose capitals end in "K", their names both end in "land"
Spoiler
What are Iceland (Reykjavik) and Thailand (Bangkok)?
Follow the link to the video I posted above, and see if you agree with me on the first Archivist's note for FJ, re: Winona's response.

Clue of the game is GUINNESS RECORDS for $400 (J!), the kind of fact us Guinness Book collectors in our youths used to have our brains packed full of. It's got a cute hint, of a type I don't remember seeing before.
The world's most common single-letter surname is this one, found in the 2nd word of this clue
Spoiler
What is O?
2 games finished off today. Nice to have a day off to myself. Have a good weekend everybody.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for getting that in. I got Thailand but the other one never came to me.

That does look like an r in her response, but I wonder what her intent was. Her "OK" comment after Alex said she was wrong was interesting.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks for the game, Myron. Yes, a 5/5 in TV TAKEOVERS.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Has the category font always had that drop shadow? I like it a lot.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

You're the first to notice. There are a couple of other very small changes, too.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:14 pm Has the category font always had that drop shadow? I like it a lot.
Clue value amounts too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:59 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:14 pm Has the category font always had that drop shadow? I like it a lot.
Clue value amounts too.
Is this on the Archive? On all games? I'm not seeing any drop shadow.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Those not seeing the (very minute) style changes might want to do a hard refresh on an Archive page (hold down shift and click refresh on your browser). That might do it.

It was driving me crazy when I was trying to make the changes and they weren't showing up for me. I thought I was losing it.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:20 pm Final Jeopardy is WORLD GEOGRAPHY, but it's a Vermonter's Nightmare wordplay clue. I got it in what I'll say was 30 seconds. How do you do?
Spoiler
Funny how the times change --
Spoiler
Bishkek also came to mind, but of course Kyrgyzstan wasn't a country back then.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

rpg wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:49 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:20 pm Final Jeopardy is WORLD GEOGRAPHY, but it's a Vermonter's Nightmare wordplay clue. I got it in what I'll say was 30 seconds. How do you do?
Spoiler
Funny how the times change --
Spoiler
Bishkek also came to mind, but of course Kyrgyzstan wasn't a country back then.
Well played!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5587 March 20, 1985, Sheree Nelson vs. Rich Perloff vs. Paula Tupper

Courtesy Michael Pannoni we now have a regular season game from later ToC player Paula Tupper. It's a season 1 game with the first contestant introduction missing, but I think I have her name right. Some notes:

DOUBLE MEANINGS in the Jeopardy round is a fun wordplay category. Some of the responses are less "pinned" than they could be.

The J! round Daily Double, THE '50s for $400, is a TV theme song that is very obscure in 2017. If you rip the archive to make flashcards, you can probably skip that one. Well done if you know it. I did not.

In DJ!, they played like they were playing one of the old home games, covering 25 clues, but leaving the entire final column DESERTS category behind.

Two Things Worth Knowing: first, the Daily Double at NUMBER PLEASE for $800:
The Henry who defeated Richard III at Bosworth Field & established Tudor dynasty
Spoiler
Who is Henry VII?
and also U.S. STATES for $1000:
During the Civil War, this Midwest state sent proportionally the most men into the Union Army
Spoiler
What is Kansas? (Thus the nickname, "Bleeding Kansas".)
I thought for sure that POETRY for $1000 would be a new one for the Archive, but nope, there's one other clue featuring that name, tho' not as the correct response. Again, cheers if you knew it.
Valiant & bold & unaccustomed to fear was this son of the prophet
Spoiler
Who is Abdullah Bulbul Amir?
And clue of the game is MONEY for $600:
He was on the dime immediately before FDR
Spoiler
Who is Mercury?
Now that is a tricky bit of trivia. It's also, not strictly speaking, accurate, since it's actually
Spoiler
Liberty, in a winged hat
, but that's okay. Points for either answer.

Alex gives the "Less than a minute" prompt while waiting for the contestants to respond to U.S. STATES for $800. I don't recall seeing that before.

Paula went into FJ! trailing (with Sheree out of the money in 3rd), but she picked up the trivia chestnut and Rich did not. I needed the current events date hint to get it.

Have a good night.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Any idea why there's a line break between Paula's first and last name on the showplayer page? (Sorry if this should be in a correction suggestion. edit: I put it in a suggestion.)
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:07 am Any idea why there's a line break between Paula's first and last name on the showplayer page? (Sorry if this should be in a correction suggestion.)
I'm not seeing it. You mean this page, yes?

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=11272
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Yes. I've never seen another page do that before. For what it's worth, I'm looking at it on my phone, but that is the only page with it. (Her ToC page doesn't have it.)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:07 am Any idea why there's a line break between Paula's first and last name on the showplayer page? (Sorry if this should be in a correction suggestion. edit: I put it in a suggestion.)
Thanks for the suggestion(s). I'll look into them in the morning. Sheree's city was obtained by googling the name of her school, if I remember correctly, and may be entirely wrong. I'll double check that too.

I never did see any problem with Paula's name, but I deleted and re-entered it, just in case there was a stray character in there somewhere.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am on a phone and am seeing the same thing with Paula's name.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Do you guys still see the issue with Paula's name? I don't see it, and there's no stray character.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 am Do you guys still see the issue with Paula's name? I don't see it, and there's no stray character.
It looks fine to me except for "Paul's exact" instead of "Paula's."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 am Do you guys still see the issue with Paula's name? I don't see it, and there's no stray character.
It is fixed now for me.