FJs for the 3/27/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 3/27/17 week?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:51 pm

This European’s 1751 “Philosophia Botanica” gave rules of nomenclature & said don’t change generic names
73%
In July 1938 about 2,000 people with an average age of 94 gathered at this site for a 75th & final reunion
91%
NASA wished John Glenn this 8-letter word when he made the 1st U.S. manned orbital flight in 1962 & again upon his passing in 2016
80%
One of the world’s longest-running musicals, in 2015 it celebrated "30 years of revolution!"
67%
He used the coat of arms granted to his father in 1596; it depicts a long-shafted weapon, a visual pun on the family name
57%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
30%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
STRINGED INSTRUMENTS $2000: This traditional Russian instrument consists of a triangular wooden body & usually 3 strings
66%
PLAY TIME $2000: Childhood memories of racism provided the basis for her 1959 play "A Raisin in the Sun"
50%
MICROSOFT WORD $2000: Adjective for the doughnut shape seen here, & of the cut off part used for contact lenses that correct astigmatism
24%
[Suggested by goatman] "Hamilton" was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
1%
"Evita" was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
17%
I thought of "spear" for the Friday FJ! clue, yet was unable to make the connection to Shakespeare.
10%

Total votes: 129

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 3/27/17 week

Post by Elijah Baley »

I'm really surprised so many people got "balalaika." Other than references in Dr. Zhivago - which I'm guessing hasn't been seen by too many folks given its age - I don't know if I've heard of it otherwise. It was also featured as part of one of the best movie scores in recent years in Grand Budapest Hotel, although I don't think the name of the instrument is referenced in the movie.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

I use toric lenses myself and still didn't get it. :lol:

When the category plays a role in solving the extra clues, could the category explanation (if given by Alex before the rounds begins) be included here as well, please? I'm behind a few months on my shows, so I play the FJ's and extra clues on the board, and not knowing the hint for the third extra clue made it quite a bit harder.
BobF

Post by BobF »

There should be an option "Knowing 'Back in the USSR' helped me get the Russian stringed instrument question"
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Caboom wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:58 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I use toric lenses myself and still didn't get it. :lol:

When the category plays a role in solving the extra clues, could the category explanation (if given by Alex before the rounds begins) be included here as well, please? I'm behind a few months on my shows, so I play the FJ's and extra clues on the board, and not knowing the hint for the third extra clue made it quite a bit harder.
Fair point, thank you, and that clue was not just an image, but also video as it showed the section being sliced away. Like the silly Hamilton option you can blame (not really, I do have final say) goatman for suggesting it as well. I did the draw the line at passing on including grindcore's: I will be ticking the "I was surprised and very pleased to see a GY!BE reference in Wednesday's game thread" for this weekend's poll.

Lately with the FJ! clues it seems like there have not been many common missed responses. Those "most common wrong answers" as in Learned League. Reading the game threads I did not get the impression that any incorrect response for any of the five nights would have been higher than the "generally low" tally for Evita.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Elijah Baley wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:56 pm I'm really surprised so many people got "balalaika." Other than references in Dr. Zhivago - which I'm guessing hasn't been seen by too many folks given its age - I don't know if I've heard of it otherwise. It was also featured as part of one of the best movie scores in recent years in Grand Budapest Hotel, although I don't think the name of the instrument is referenced in the movie.
Do an Archive search for "balalaika" and there are about a dozen hits in the 21st c. so the repetition is helpful by 2017.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BobF wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:22 pm There should be an option "Knowing 'Back in the USSR' helped me get the Russian stringed instrument question"
I got it from the Dr Zhivago movie.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:34 pm Lately with the FJ! clues it seems like there have not been many common missed responses. Those "most common wrong answers" as in Learned League. Reading the game threads I did not get the impression that any incorrect response for any of the five nights would have been higher than the "generally low" tally for Evita.
The poll shows 56 out of 85 (66%) voters got Les Miserables. Of the 29 voters who missed the clue there were 15 who guessed Evita. In this case 52% of the players who answered wrong went with Evita.

It's hard to have a common wrong answer when everybody is getting the right answer.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

I didn't even know Les Mis was a musical - it seems like a stupid story for a musical. Or for a play for that matter. Is Schindler's List a musical too?

Friday I used my attention span remembering "pike", and when nothing would fit, just gave up. I did home in on the date/time period and picked Isaac Newton as a somewhat contemporary. It's a great clue when everybody could have got it, and lots of fine players didn't get it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:48 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

I didn't even know Les Mis was a musical - it seems like a stupid story for a musical. Or for a play for that matter. Is Schindler's List a musical too?
I don't know what to say to that - other than the ship sailed a long time ago on making musicals from unconventional material. Sweeney Todd is about a couple that makes meat pies out of people and that predates Les Miserables, for example. And the idea that the stories in musical theater have all been light and fluff with no serious drama is simply not valid. Show Boat is considered one of the first musicals of the modern era and it dealt with interracial marriage, racial prejudice, alcoholism, gambling addiction, etc. And that was in 1927. If anything, it's probably tougher to find a musical that didn't have some dark story or subplot than the other way around.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:10 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:48 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

I don't know what to say to that - other than the ship sailed a long time ago on making musicals from unconventional material. Sweeney Todd is about a couple that makes meat pies out of people and that predates Les Miserables, for example. And the idea that the stories in musical theater have all been light and fluff with no serious drama is simply not valid. Show Boat is considered one of the first musicals of the modern era and it dealt with interracial marriage, racial prejudice, alcoholism, gambling addiction, etc. And that was in 1927. If anything, it's probably tougher to find a musical that didn't have some dark story or subplot than the other way around.
You can find a couple songs from Schindler's List: The Musical on YouTube. I won't post a link since it's about as offensive as you might expect - dark parody, let's say.
The most recent Broadway revival of Cabaret - a dark musical to begin with - made explicit reference to the Holocaust at the end, which caused some controversy. Current musicals on Broadway deal with teen alienation and suicide (Dear Evan Hansen), the Vietnam war (Miss Saigon, by the authors of Les Mis), and the aftermath of 9/11 (Come From Away).
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:48 pm Is Schindler's List a musical too?
No, but it did win an Oscar for best original score.......
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x

OW! I'm in the 1% reject category on Hamilton!?! Yowze... gosh darn it. Sigh. :oops:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
BobF

Post by BobF »

goatman wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:18 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x :mrgreen:

OW! I'm in the 1% reject category on Hamilton!?! Yowze... gosh darn it. Sigh. :oops:
If it will make you feel any better, Hamilton was the first thing that came to my mind, but I knew it was nowhere near 30 years old. I think I WAGGED Miss Saigon or something along those lines.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Only the second 5/5 week this season. I'll take it, even if the get percentages indicate somewhat easier clues than usual.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

BobF wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:17 pm
goatman wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:18 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x :mrgreen:

If it will make you feel any better, Hamilton was the first thing that came to my mind, but I knew it was nowhere near 30 years old. I think I WAGGED Miss Saigon or something along those lines.
Well the Hamilton backstory does involve a long time from conception to fruition by Miranda from Chernow's 2004 biography, thus I though maybe that's where it was pointing. Clearly wrong as the clue asked for 'longest-running musical' and ten years in production no where near thirty. But thanks for making me feel a bit bettah! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Elijah Baley wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:56 pm I'm really surprised so many people got "balalaika."
On the contrary, I'm surprised so many did *not* get it...
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Two weeks in a row that Friday costs me a perfecto. I think I'd usually get Hansberry but I don't think I got it at the time. Should have had toric. Didn't get close to Shakespeare.

2224443315534212332313[43CC]32244, 84-61
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 pm I think I'd usually get Hansberry but I don't think I got it at the time.
I forgot to mention it at the time, but the weekend before that clue came up, This American Life reran an old episode that included an interview with someone who had Hansbury as a last name. I thought, "Oh, like the person who wrote A Raisin in the Sun!" (I didn't know the spelling of the interviewee's name.) I think that primed the pump for me to get this clue right.