Wednesday, April 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPORTS MASCOTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The animal on this NBA team’s primary logo peaked about 75 million years ago

Abigail Myers: 19000+2000=21000
Amy Falconetti: 17200-17200=0
Nora Rowaily: 13600+10000=23600 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Toronto Raptors (Abigail – Raptor) (Amy – Timberwolf)

Daily Doubles
Abigail: 5400-1400
Nora: 8600+5000
Amy: 6600+5000

Coryats
Abigail: 20400
Amy: 13000
Nora: 10200

Combined: 43,600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It took me three tries to be able to see today's game as I went 0/2 with feeds from Alabama thanks to their weather problems. Third time was the charm with San Antonio at 4:30 Central.

Dickens wrote ATOTC and today's game was "A tale of two rounds" with the challengers making big moves in the DJ! round.

J! caught a break with the wagers and responses as Nora won cleanly with the full response for the FJ! round. I can imagine the howling if Nora had won with Abigail's accepted response.

I spent the last break making sure I would be able to run all 32 NFL teams or all 30 MLB teams in 30 seconds if needed while hoping the clue would not be hockey or hoops as I can't do those teams as quickly. Lowest on the wish list was a full country dash of hundreds of college teams.

The clue ended up being a clean shot with no blockers.

Last time I'll mention it as I've given up figuring out the logic: Abigail came in 2nd and stood by Alex for the closing credits.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I mean...she won an extra game because she bet small from the lead, but damnit, losing from the lead after getting FJ right shouldn't happen this often. I wonder if Abigail hated the category (again), or if small FJ wagers were just her thing. Probably the latter.

I thought the Raptors' logo was just a basketball with a claw now, instead of the whole dinosaur. No matter; instaget before Alex finished reading.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:14 pm Dickens wrote ATOTC and today's game was "A tale of two rounds" with the challengers making big moves in the DJ! round.
Yup. I thought for sure we were headed for an ugly blowout.

If only they had left that entire koan category to die. Ugh. Sauerkraut ice cream!? Kill it with fire.

I was ready to stare daggers at the screen if they missed Baku. Then Tonga was a stand and stare TS. So much for that good will.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:14 pm J! caught a break with the wagers and responses as Nora won cleanly with the full response for the FJ! round. I can imagine the howling if Nora had won with Abigail's accepted response.
Well it was 'cleaner' than accepting fleur-de-lis, but the precedent has been set, and it would've been more surprising if they negged her.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Not sure how I feel about that FJ clue. Right away I thought of raptor but then second guessed myself by saying that technically it is not a singular animal but rather a group of bird species that feed by hunting. Settled on raptor anyways because WECIB.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

44R. Bare get on Jurassic mascot. LT: Frontal sinus; scalp; Mueller = Mill; Lincoln Continental Army.

These ladies played well, scored high and missed little, Nice Game! Grats Nora, cheers Abigail! you done good gurl! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:33 pm Well it was 'cleaner' than accepting fleur-de-lis, but the precedent has been set, and it would've been more surprising if they negged her.
I appreciate your reminder of that.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote:I mean...she won an extra game because she bet small from the lead, but damnit, losing from the lead after getting FJ right shouldn't happen this often. I wonder if Abigail hated the category (again), or if small FJ wagers were just her thing. Probably the latter.
I doubt it was the latter. I'm thinking a combination of not liking the category plus two female challengers. Her wager wouldn't have stood well against a smart wager from Amy anyway. Not to mention it wouldn't have saved her from a zero wager from Amy on a TS. IMO her best 'under' wager would have been 8202 to top Amy covering Nora by a buck. This would have also been good enough to win a TS in the event Amy makes that 10,001 wager.

I was hoping for a 6399 wager from Nora, to take away a TS win when Abigail and Amy each make the respective cover wagers (15401, 10001). Her actual wager would have nipped Abigail but required a larger than necessary bet from Amy to win a TS. I'm not convinced it was worth the extra $3601 to take it that deep. Especially since she still wins on a sole get from a 6399 bet.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

No way was I getting sinus. I was thinking they wanted something external. Also mis-processed "Covering the head" as "covering the body" somehow and got stumped on "scalp".

Recognized nothing in the Almanac category, and only recognized victory/defeat in the TV category.

Sean O'Kelly didn't lead to any country because I was expecting something other than the name to be the TOM.

I actually have some fluency in German, but I recognized nothing in German Surnames. How should I know that Schmidt is a popular name, from the German, and means Smith?

CV was my only miss in Roman Numerals. The wheels were turning but I just couldn't get there in time.

75 million years ago... uh, dinosaurs? Is there a dinosaur team? Uh... Raptors? Sure.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:No way was I getting sinus. I was thinking they wanted something external. Also mis-processed "Covering the head" as "covering the body" somehow and got stumped on "scalp".
Oh yeah, that sinus clue was nasty. I know the term 'neg-bait' tends to get over used here but that was sure teetering on it.
I also got stumped on 'scalp'. I don't (never) think of it as covering 'everything but the face'.

They picked the wrong sport for me to have a good chance at FJ. NFL, NHL and MLB I can relate to, but I stopped watching the NBA almost thirty years ago.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Interesting that the Carrie Underwood song came up today. I was just thinking about letting some of my fellow TD players know, "maybe next time he'll think before he sheeps."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:39 pm
xxaaaxx wrote:I mean...she won an extra game because she bet small from the lead, but damnit, losing from the lead after getting FJ right shouldn't happen this often. I wonder if Abigail hated the category (again), or if small FJ wagers were just her thing. Probably the latter.
I doubt it was the latter. I'm thinking a combination of not liking the category plus two female challengers. Her wager wouldn't have stood well against a smart wager from Amy anyway. Not to mention it wouldn't have saved her from a zero wager from Amy on a TS. IMO her best 'under' wager would have been 8202 to top Amy covering Nora by a buck. This would have also been good enough to win a TS in the event Amy makes that 10,001 wager.
Looking at it again, I see the logic in Abigail's 2000 wager. She was anticipating a less-than 3600 bet from Amy, thinking Amy just makes sure she doesn't slip below a zero wager from Nora. That means Abigail needs to top 20,800, more accurately, 20,799. Ironically She needn't risk dropping below a zero wager from Amy if she had wagered an even 1800. She just didn't think it through thoroughly. ;)

Edit to add: Either one of them thinking Nora might wager zero would be poor strategy, or at least not giving Nora any credit for making a better wager than zero.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I forgot to look at the list of this week's contestants on Monday like I usually do each Monday, and so I was surprised to see someone I used to know. Congratulations, Nora.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Live by the small wager, die by the small wager... :roll:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

An excuse to break out this gif!

It's the tail dying at the end that really sells it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

When Abigail made a small wager yesterday it was arranged so 3rd place could not bet to overtake 2nd place and that gave an incentive for 2nd place to bet low in order to stay above 3rd place no matter what. Today's scenario was totally different since both 2nd and 3rd place had enough to overtake the lead going into FJ.

If Sports Mascots was a bad category for Abigail then it might make sense to bet low. Congrats to Nora on the win.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:14 pm I can imagine the howling if Nora had won with Abigail's accepted response.
I don't understand, would Raptors be considered an unacceptable response? They asked for the name of the team, I don't think they need the city unless they prompt it.

I did really bad on the German surname category. I do okay on Spanish and French but with German or Russian or Italian I just miss all of them.

I didn't get Sinus. If you take the average number of letters shared by lobe and cortex it fits the category.

I guessed Samoa instead of Tonga.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Good wagering by the new champion Nora! $5,000 on that DD was perfect, and $10,000 on FJ is very shrewd; enough to possibly win if either of the two players in front get it correct but don't bet enough, but also a win on a Triple Stumper if first covers and second bets it all.

Of course, the same cannot be said of the other two players. If Abigail wasn't confident with her DD, she should have bet $5/$100. If she was reasonably confident, she should have bet everything, since even big leads on the first board mean little, as this show has demonstrated time and again. Instead, she bet $1400.

Her FJ wager wasn't awful if she had very little confidence in the category.

Amy should have bet everything on her DD; she short-changed herself $1600 that way.

Incidentally, Nora reminded my girlfriend and me of Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club.

LT: scalp

FJ: Instaget, breaking a stream of five wrong in a row.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Anyone else think there was some editing/re-taping going on at the end of the game? Seemed like it jumped around a little, didn't seem to flow.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:14 pm I can imagine the howling if Nora had won with Abigail's accepted response.
I don't understand, would Raptors be considered an unacceptable response? They asked for the name of the team, I don't think they need the city unless they prompt it.
The accepted response by Abigail was singular "Raptor" and not the team name Raptors which no one would argue about being acceptable. And no one would/should think Toronto is needed.

On this board we do better than some of the other places for understanding how the game works and how judging decisions are made. Visit reddit, J! Fan, previously.tv, and I would expect (not that I care to check) Facebook for how incorrect reactions and posts about things that happen in a J! game.

In my post my reaction was not to say the "Raptor" accepted by Abigail was wrong or should have been negged. It was only to imagine the blow-up of posts in a reversed situation. Picture this:

Abigail has Toronto Raptors. She's the returning the champ, she's we'll over 60% for the likability factor. She goes up to $21,000.
Nora on the other hand is a challenger that viewers are seeing for the first time, so her rooting factor can't compare with that of Abigail.
Nora has a response of "Raptor." That is not the team name.
Nora's response is accepted and she wins the game.
The reaction of posts across those other forums would be greater in negativity than how it played out today in milder fashion.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.