Wednesday, April 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

IMHO Abigail pissed away 35K, even if she wasn't comfortable with the category. After winning big bucks in two days, you can't be betting to win 2K instead of 1K. It's a tough position and no judgment from me. She did great for 3 days and got paid twice, which is fantastic. She smoked the other two girls in the Coryat, but the beauty of the DD's made it a jump ball at the end.

I join the crowd in hating the sinus clue. I would have gotten it easily without the graphic on the screen. Very confusing.

Easy get on the FJ answer, although the Timberwolves reveal made me realize I was a little nonchalant about stopping on the first candidate. It's funny for us baby boomers that Raptors weren't a thing until the Jurassic Park movie came out. Of course we still believed there was a brontosaurus (and Fred Flintstone rode one at his job).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:47 pm Of course we still believed there was a brontosaurus (and Fred Flintstone rode one at his job).
Brontosaurus is back, baby!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4393826/
Of particular note is that the famous genus Brontosaurus is considered valid by our quantitative approach.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I think I'm alone in liking the sinus clue. The graphic instantly made me think of an ad for nasal decongestant.

I felt like the contestants did well and picked up a decent number of clues that I missed but somehow still left quite a few that I found relatively straightforward (scalp, mill, Lincoln Continental Army).
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

INSTAGET FJ...NBA team + mascot hailing from 75 million years ago easily, EASILY = Toronto Raptors.

Ran The Country's President, and almost ran World Almanac (darn Roger Ailes) and American History (fell for the Harriet Tubman negbait versus Sojourner Truth). Also got the scalp DD.

Edited: Sorry for this being a bit rushed and finally cleaned up a few hours later...had some interesting weather last night.
Last edited by Maven on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Has anyone ever gone into FJ with the lead, gotten it right and finished in third? Today's game almost did that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

harrumph wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:10 am Has anyone ever gone into FJ with the lead, gotten it right and finished in third? Today's game almost did that.
A crush lead, no less: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3592

Unrelated, but what I'd like to know is whether a non-tournament game has ended with a triple get where the winner had been in third place. I've seen a few games where the wagers made such a finish possible, but the responses prevented it. (This one comes to mind.)
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:25 am
harrumph wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:10 am Has anyone ever gone into FJ with the lead, gotten it right and finished in third? Today's game almost did that.
Here are the four other times when it has happened in regular play: game_id=1773, game_id=1060, game_id=1229, and game_id=4593.
seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:25 am Unrelated, but what I'd like to know is whether a non-tournament game has ended with a triple get where the winner had been in third place. I've seen a few games where the wagers made such a finish possible, but the responses prevented it. (This one comes to mind.)
If that has ever happened then it has yet to be Archived. Besides the game you mentioned there are only three other times where it was even a possibility given the wagers that were made.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

mcsheffrey wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:25 am I think I'm alone in liking the sinus clue. The graphic instantly made me think of an ad for nasal decongestant.
I liked it too. I don't think I was sure just from the clue, but the illustration showing the sinuses locked it in.
Huh, that's really something. Related to that FJ, it's a shame it was a few months before (what I assume is) the oldest episode thread here, because I'd love to see which 3 countries everyone picked. Mine were
Spoiler
Italy, Japan, and the US.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

As Dale Earnhardt once said, "You win some, lose some and wreck some."

(I know that this is a different sport, but...you know.)

In this case, Nora "Won", Amy "Lost", and Abigail got "Wrecked".

This FJ! was so poorly worded, and some of the people from The Jeopardy fan debated on that clue.

Abigail thought that her strategy it would work twice, unfortunately that was too good to be true. Did Nora probably pick up on Adam Vesterholt's part when he realized the leader failed with betting enough?

Every basketball professional that watches this episode is probably facepalming with Amy's incorrect response. If it had not been for Amy getting the correct response, we would have seen an ugly 180-degree flip switch right there. I'm sure those guys would get it right.

To be honest, how many basketball pros out of 10 would you think they would get this right?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:56 am To be honest, how many basketball pros out of 10 would you think they would get this right?
I mean, every single NBA player has heard of the Toronto Raptors and I assure you that none of them think the team's mascot is a helicopter or anything other than a dinosaur. I can't say with certainty the number that would recognize the Toronto mascot as being the only extinct mascot in a league particularly noted for its lack of animal mascots, but I'm not sure how many Jeopardy champions out of 10 would be able to score 30 points in a Raptors game on Alex Trebek Appreciation Night.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

mcsheffrey wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:25 am I think I'm alone in liking the sinus clue. The graphic instantly made me think of an ad for nasal decongestant.

I felt like the contestants did well and picked up a decent number of clues that I missed but somehow still left quite a few that I found relatively straightforward (scalp, mill, Lincoln Continental Army).
You are not alone.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:44 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:14 pm I can imagine the howling if Nora had won with Abigail's accepted response.
I don't understand, would Raptors be considered an unacceptable response? They asked for the name of the team, I don't think they need the city unless they prompt it.
The accepted response by Abigail was singular "Raptor" and not the team name Raptors which no one would argue about being acceptable. And no one would/should think Toronto is needed.

On this board we do better than some of the other places for understanding how the game works and how judging decisions are made. Visit reddit, J! Fan, previously.tv, and I would expect (not that I care to check) Facebook for how incorrect reactions and posts about things that happen in a J! game.

In my post my reaction was not to say the "Raptor" accepted by Abigail was wrong or should have been negged. It was only to imagine the blow-up of posts in a reversed situation. Picture this:

Abigail has Toronto Raptors. She's the returning the champ, she's we'll over 60% for the likability factor. She goes up to $21,000.
Nora on the other hand is a challenger that viewers are seeing for the first time, so her rooting factor can't compare with that of Abigail.
Nora has a response of "Raptor." That is not the team name.
Nora's response is accepted and she wins the game.
The reaction of posts across those other forums would be greater in negativity than how it played out today in milder fashion.
I resent the "we're better here at JBoard" implication here just a little bit.

You'll find, Mark, that the places that receive the more organic search traffic (like TJF, or Facebook) are the places where you'll see more "complaining". That doesn't make those people worse fans in general, even though they may not follow the minutiae like some here. Remembering "fleur de lis" from two and a half years ago is a pretty deep cut.

And that "organic" traffic is crucial to keeping fresh blood entering into the community.

Also remember: the people you're painting as howlers love the show enough to speak up about a perceived wrong.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Count me in the minority on this...but Abigail's response on FJ should have been incorrect, IMHO. The clue said "the animal on this NBA team's logo"...which I took to mean included the city of the franchise/team name. I was surprised Abigail's response of just "Raptor" was accepted.

BTW...I missed FJ; just could not think of Totonto Raptors, although when I saw Nora's response, it was a facepalm moment.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

SBurrus wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:07 am Count me in the minority on this...but Abigail's response on FJ should have been incorrect, IMHO. The clue said "the animal on this NBA team's logo"...which I took to mean included the city of the franchise/team name. I was surprised Abigail's response of just "Raptor" was accepted.
It is very common practice within the world of sports to refer to teams by their nickname only. Since 'NBA' is already specified there isn't any concern with ambiguous nicknames (LA/Sacramento Kings, NY/Texas Rangers). If this were to be ruled incorrect it would have to be due to the use of the singular 'Raptor' as the team name (which is what was asked for, not the animal itself) since the team name is plural. They would not accept Sally Fields if the actress were asked for and 'Raptors' is a proper name in this case so technically the same rules should apply. Personally I would have accepted it because of how easy it is to confuse whether the ask was for the animal or the team name.
Pendleton71
Contributor

Post by Pendleton71 »

Unrelated, but what I'd like to know is whether a non-tournament game has ended with a triple get where the winner had been in third place. I've seen a few games where the wagers made such a finish possible, but the responses prevented it. (This one comes to mind.)
This is a tournament game, but it fits the criteria otherwise: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3635
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

floridagator wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:08 pm Interesting that the Carrie Underwood song came up today. I was just thinking about letting some of my fellow TD players know, "maybe next time he'll think before he sheeps."
Another song recorded at FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Carol Anne got sinus; I did not (for more data points).

I hesitated on FJ for a few seconds since 'raptors' can refer to extant birds, but nothing else fit, so I went with it.

Another ON*

* Outchange night.
davey

Post by davey »

mcsheffrey wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:58 am They would not accept Sally Fields if the actress were asked for and 'Raptors' is a proper name in this case so technically the same rules should apply. Personally I would have accepted it because of how easy it is to confuse whether the ask was for the animal or the team name.
I think they're different rules. It's a proper name but a member of the team is a Raptor. The show accepts singular for plural and vice versa. There's only one Sally Field and Fields is not a plural.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Pendleton71 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:05 am
This is a tournament game, but it fits the criteria otherwise: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3635
It was, in fact, my memory of that game which inspired me to specify "non-tournament."
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

davey wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:18 am
mcsheffrey wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:58 am They would not accept Sally Fields if the actress were asked for and 'Raptors' is a proper name in this case so technically the same rules should apply. Personally I would have accepted it because of how easy it is to confuse whether the ask was for the animal or the team name.
I think they're different rules. It's a proper name but a member of the team is a Raptor. The show accepts singular for plural and vice versa. There's only one Sally Field and Fields is not a plural.
Possibly some are prone to add an s because of Mrs Fields Cookies.