Thursday, April 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, April 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OSXpert »

My GF said "horse and pony show" as well and I nodded and then said "dog and pony show?" with some confusion about what the correct phrase was supposed to be. Is this a regionalism?

I was sort of expecting "eavesdropper" for "eyewitness" to be accepted.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

11.5% is not the highest sales tax in the United States. Of states and commonwealths, possibly. But individual communities/counties/regions have higher (Cook County, Illinois, for example), and the clue as I recall didn't specify of the 52 states/commonwealth/district.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:02 pm And ABC7 just interrupted J! during the opening credits to report on the Syria attack. Wonderful.
It was an ABC network special report, so it wasn't a local decision by ABC7.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

More in Spoiler:
Spoiler

This website had a bunch of them: http://horsenetwork.com/2015/07/10-anim ... ck-riding/

The term "Dog and Pony Show" literally comes from a performance featuring dogs and ponies.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

I flubbed what should have been an easy final; the circus part made me think of "bells and whistles" and I couldn't think clearly enough to process the name of the circus into the right answer.

DJ was very kind to me; I ran all three of "Awards & Honors", "A Liberal Library", and "Comma Sympathizers" to end up with a new personal best Coryat of $31,200.

Negged the "ebullient" one with "exuberant", which was pretty unfortunate.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:42 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:27 pm
dhkendall wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:01 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:52 pmWLT "Pacific" at $400? That clue seemed like a total non sequitur to me. I didn't see what "fewer regs and lower fees" had to do with "Marshall islands in this ocean".
The "fewer regs and lower fees" are the "blah blah blah" part of the clue.
It was "blah blah blah" with respect to that clue, but it was there in the top box to explain to people like me who NHO "flag of convenience" what the category was all about.
So what part of it was supposed to lead you to Pacific over any other ocean?
Knowing where the Marshall Islands are. It's no biggie if you don't happen to know it, but having a basic idea of where each of the countries of the world is located is pretty standard J! knowledge.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:29 pm Knowing where the Marshall Islands are. It's no biggie if you don't happen to know it, but having a basic idea of where each of the countries of the world is located is pretty standard J! knowledge.
And "Marshall Islands" are famous enough for the top box, even though no other clue has asked for where they are before?

I suppose some obscure country nobody's heard of like Gabon is also top box?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:52 pmWLT "Pacific" at $400? That clue seemed like a total non sequitur to me. I didn't see what "fewer regs and lower fees" had to do with "Marshall islands in this ocean".
It was "blah blah blah" with respect to that clue, but it was there in the top box to explain to people like me who NHO "flag of convenience" what the category was all about.
Name an island nation in an ocean other than the Pacific. There aren't many.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:36 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:29 pm Knowing where the Marshall Islands are. It's no biggie if you don't happen to know it, but having a basic idea of where each of the countries of the world is located is pretty standard J! knowledge.
And "Marshall Islands" are famous enough for the top box, even though no other clue has asked for where they are before?

I suppose some obscure country nobody's heard of like Gabon is also top box?
I thought it was properly valued. And yeah, if they asked which continent Gabon was on, I wouldn't be surprised to see that in the top box either.
Sprinkles are for winners.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:36 pm
yes
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

INSTAGET FJ again...had 'dog and pony show' just as I beat Alex to reading 'equine' and 'canine' in the clue.

Ran King James Bible, and almost ran Puerto Rican History (got sales taxed) and Vaudeville (tied up by Will Rogers' rope). Also got the chrysanthemum and Canada DDs.

And I should have gotten the Obies...they just couldn't come to me in time. I almost said Drama Desk Awards for that clue. But at least I knew not to go with the Tonys, knowing they were created in 1947.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:23 am
Ooh, a challenge:

Maldives, Seychelles, Comoros, Mauritius, Madagascar, Indonesia, Brunei, Timor L'Este, Sri Lanka, Sao Tome and Principe, Cabo Verde, Malta, Cyprus, UK, Iceland, Ireland, Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Antigua and Barbuda, St Kitts and Nevis, Dominica, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Grenada, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago...what'd I forget? I always forget something.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bomtr wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:33 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:23 am Name an island nation in an ocean other than the Pacific. There aren't many.
Ooh, a challenge:

Maldives, Seychelles, Comoros, Mauritius, Madagascar, Indonesia, Brunei, Timor L'Este, Sri Lanka, Sao Tome and Principe, Cabo Verde, Malta, Cyprus, UK, Iceland, Ireland, Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Antigua and Barbuda, St Kitts and Nevis, Dominica, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Grenada, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago...what'd I forget? I always forget something.
Singapore (well, if we're including Indonesia in the Indian, but the Philippines in the Pacific...), Bahrain

I'd also question Malta + Cyprus and to a lesser extent the Caribbean islands as being -in- the Atlantic
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:23 am
Or, more simply, what ocean is most likely to be in the $200 spot?

Damn, I must have a masochistic streak in me because I know TPH will complain about this attempt to explain the rationale too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

WooWho? wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:39 pm Judges: "horse and dog show" on FJ?
Find an example of that phrase being used idiomatically and we'll consider it... ;)
davey

Post by davey »

OSXpert wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:51 pm My GF said "horse and pony show" as well and I nodded and then said "dog and pony show?" with some confusion about what the correct phrase was supposed to be. Is this a regionalism?

I was sort of expecting "eavesdropper" for "eyewitness" to be accepted.
The clues was "Someone who was there and SAW [emphasis mine] what happened."
Last edited by davey on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

spell4yr wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:00 pm 11.5% is not the highest sales tax in the United States. Of states and commonwealths, possibly. But individual communities/counties/regions have higher (Cook County, Illinois, for example), and the clue as I recall didn't specify of the 52 states/commonwealth/district.
Chicago is the county seat of Cook County, whose officials voted in July [2015] to raise the county’s portion of the sales tax, bringing Chicago’s combined rate to 10.25 percent from 9.25 percent.
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/chicagos ... he-nation/

On July 1 [2015], Puerto Rico raised its Sales and Use Tax (SUT) from 7% to 11.5%, through leadership from the legislature and Democratic governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla. 10.5% of this is imposed by Puerto Rico’s Department of Treasury, and the additional percent goes to municipalities.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottbeyer ... f1e18308f1
davey

Post by davey »

In case anybody was wondering, the Village Voice still administers and is the prime force behind the Obie Awards. Village Voice = downtown = off-Broadway (in origin, though off-Broadway is all over town today).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:40 am
bomtr wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:33 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:23 am Name an island nation in an ocean other than the Pacific. There aren't many.
Ooh, a challenge:

Singapore (well, if we're including Indonesia in the Indian, but the Philippines in the Pacific...), Bahrain

I'd also question Malta + Cyprus and to a lesser extent the Caribbean islands as being -in- the Atlantic
Precisely. You could argue the Caribbean islands are "in the Atlantic," but Jeopardy! certainly wouldn't refer to any of them as "an Atlantic island" or anything like that. The majority of island nations are in the Pacific Ocean. The ones that aren't are fairly obvious...OK, to me, perhaps not for TPH.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Nora bet well once again, but lost due to missing one of the easiest FJs we have seen in a long time. When I first saw it, I thought it was a complete gift for the leader.

David contradicting Alex is rather hilarious in light of this article. No one is reading contemporary postmodern literature, including professors, book reviewers, and writers in the genre.

LT: chrysanthemum, Liberia

FJ: Instaget