Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by barandall800 »

Yep, that's me in 20th Century Fiction 94! As an English major, I feel like I have a reputation to protect there ... we'll see how it goes. :) JI Maps, I'm in Group 73. There weren't any familiar names that jumped out.

These MLs will be my last hurrah in LL for a bit. I'm taking LL73 off because I'll be in London for almost the entire season. I thought about doing advance access, but it won't be available until May 12 (a week after I get there), I'd have to talk to Thorsten about getting much more than 10 days in advance, etc., and I'd rather my time in the UK stay as uncluttered as possible. Even though I know I can jump right back in for LL74, seeing the "you indicated that you won't be back for LL73" stuff in the email from Thorsten nevertheless stung a bit. It's my first break after 7 seasons ... only a couple years, I know, but still.

This was my first season in E and I didn't quite make it back up to my old home in D, but 9th place was my highest finish ever (one higher than my rookie season), my stats were good (my DE of .747 was also a personal best) and I was remarkably consistent (I dipped under 2 correct answers only once the entire season). I even did slightly better my second time in a private rundle. Hopefully when I come back for LL74, things will go even better!
dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by dnbguy »

I'm in group 58 for Atlantic and group 154 for Maps. Good luck to everyone!
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

Fiction: 79
Atlantic: 56
Maps: 165

I enjoy the start of the season, because I am often listed first. :geek:

I think Maps is my best chance for the finals. Fiction could be difficult--as Bart Simpson said "I know of it", which is often good enough for general literature trivia but not for anything librarianesque like which Man Booker prize winner was born in Lincoln, England. Atlantic is a total wildcard.

I've been off a few regular seasons now "Dad" (randallb) -- travel gets in the way, big time. Yes, you can technically play, but it's supposed to be fun and for me worrying about when I'll have time and access isn't fun (and neither is doing 15 days worth of questions in advance.)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

My group assignments:

20th Century Fiction: 27.
The Atlantic: 18.
Maps: 134.

Good luck to all of you!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:46 pm Group 144 in Maps here. Don't recognize any names, am I missing a name I should know of these gross* people?

*see what I did there?
If you have to call attention to it, it's already failed. :P
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I'm in Fiction 111 and Maps 82. I'm loving Fiction but finding Maps to be pure evil and wishing I had signed up for Atlantic.

Question: What happens when you look at your match day questions in the morning and then discover the answer to one of the questions during the course of the day, completely by chance (e.g. by reading the newspaper)? I've seen this discussed before but not sure there's consensus on whether or not one should answer that particular question, if one would not have gotten it right otherwise.
Last edited by morbeedo on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

For those of who submitted our responses early, I was amused to find out that Eileen Chang was 6'5" 250 lbs and was played by Tom Cruise.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I have to admit I've never heard of Jack Reacher. I think not really watching any movies that were released in this century is starting to be a detriment.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

I'm a little astonished that only 68% of people got An American In Paris given that it was an answer this season. I thought that was an easy 0-pointer, but my opponent missed it (and gave me 3 points for it, to boot!).
CrunchyTaco

Post by CrunchyTaco »

So, the "Ary Barroso" question had a get rate of 1%...
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

I would love to be able to join Learned League, how could i become a part of such an institution?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

These mini leagues are difficult! I'm playing 20th Century Lit and JI Maps and both have been quite difficult, IMO.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

oduguy22 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:39 am I would love to be able to join Learned League, how could i become a part of such an institution?
You would need a referral from a current member. PM me if you're interested; I have 1 referral left.
Woof

Post by Woof »

oduguy22 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:39 am I would love to be able to join Learned League, how could i become a part of such an institution?
LL is an invitation-only trivia league, but as it happens it is currently open for new registrations. It does cost money to participate ($25 per year and up) but the first season is free. If you'd like an invitation, PM me with name and email address and I'll send you an invitation.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I have a referral, too, for a boardie in good standing (i.e. has more than a handful of posts).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woof wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:21 am
LL is an invitation-only trivia league, but as it happens it is currently open for new registrations. It does cost money to participate ($25 per year and up) but the first season is free. If you'd like an invitation, PM me with name and email address and I'll send you an invitation.
The basic rate is now $30 a year.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

CrunchyTaco wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:02 am So, the "Ary Barroso" question had a get rate of 1%...
Has there ever been a question (in a 1DS or ML) with that low of a get rate before? It's rare to see a single-digit question in a season (Kit-Cat had 5% a couple seasons ago, and Los Bandoleros/Turbo-Charged Prelude had... oh wait, that was a lot higher. :lol: )
I was up against someone in Maps who had a QPct of .839. Definitely expecting to lose, I was utterly shocked to see that I won... by forfeit. With two days to go, I have the same number of TCA (28) in The Atlantic and Maps.
Hoping for a third lap
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

sarisson wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:38 pm
CrunchyTaco wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:02 am So, the "Ary Barroso" question had a get rate of 1%...
Has there ever been a question (in a 1DS or ML) with that low of a get rate before?
Not that I can recall. The lowest one I remember was in SausvilleK's Cats MiniLeague, which I didn't enter so can't find via my profile. One question got 2% correct, prompting this lovely bit of shade. Per that thread, the next day had questions with 2% and 3% get rates.
In and out of the pool four times
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

econgator wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:24 pm I have a referral, too, for a boardie in good standing (i.e. has more than a handful of posts).
I also have one. If you're in good standing and have more than a handful posts, please PM me.
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

Missed out on the 20th Century Fiction final by one point. Wasn't as close in the other two minileagues, but I think all three were really fun this offseason. Also got to pat myself on the back for getting Memphis right in JI: Maps when it only had a 4% get rate across the league. Looking forward to some of the One-Days but mainly ready to jump back into the season.

Good luck to all in the various finals!