Wednesday, April 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCARY MOVIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A remake of this scary movie was released on 6/6/2006, 30 years to the day after the release of the original

Greg Chin: 14400-3201=11199
Trevor Mahoney: 8600-2600=6000
Jane Joseph: 8800+8602=17402 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Omen (Greg- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) (Trevor – The Exorcist)

Daily Doubles
Greg: 1000-1000
Jane: 4000+2000
Greg: 10200+1000

Coryats
Greg: 16000
Trevor: 8600
Jane: 8000

Combined: 32,600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

HAPPY 70th DAVID LETTERMAN even though that was the only category not completed by the players. It also coincided with the passing of Dave’s mom, Dorothy (95), yesterday.

badgerfellow: Congrats on making it to J! and having your chance to play. You had the lead for part of the DJ! round, so well done.

Sorry the game did not go better for you. The way the FJ! round played out at least must make it easier not to dwell on the TS clues, misses and rebounds served. Greg was hot on the buzzer and Jane had the sole solve in SCARY MOVIES, so tough to overcome.

Jane had 8800 for the FJ! round and 5600 of it came from SHAKESPEARE IS KILLING ME:

$2000 ($1200 DD box)
$1600
$2000 clue

Greg netted a minus 400 loss there in getting the $400 + $800 clues while negging the $1600 one that Jane rebounded.

My reaction to the FJ! clue was 6/6/2006 makes it too easy and it should have been June 6, 2006. The writers know what they are doing as still it ended up with only 33% success rate.

Greg’s gone although he finally got to play a Daily Double. On his miss it looked like he might have known the dish and was not able to recall the name. It comes up all the time on Hell’s Kitchen.

Greg is the one who can have a point of the game to dwell on with his $1000 wager for DD3 in a $1600 box. Yes, he got it right while it has to sting to know he could have locked the match on such a gimme clue.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

6/6/06 went right over my head, mostly because I was immediately trying to think of what had been released in 1976 and had a remake. 6/6/76 didn't register, either. I went with King Kong - also released in 1976 - because at least I knew it had a remake, although it apparently wasn't in 2006. (Not to mention that the original was released in 1933 - but still better than coming up with a blank).

And, per Wikipedia, The Omen had a US release date of 6/25/76; the writers really expect that anyone would realize that it had been released in the UK on 6/6/76?? Granted, if you could come up with 1976 as year, it's probably unlikely that anyone remembered the actual date. But, the clue still seems pretty shady and not a very satisfying end to this game.
Pendleton71
Contributor

Post by Pendleton71 »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:51 pm 6/6/06 went right over my head, mostly because I was immediately trying to think of what had been released in 1976 and had a remake. 6/6/76 didn't register, either. I went with King Kong - also released in 1976 - because at least I knew it had a remake, although it apparently wasn't in 2006. (Not to mention that the original was released in 1933 - but still better than coming up with a blank).

And, per Wikipedia, The Omen had a US release date of 6/25/76; the writers really expect that anyone would realize that it had been released in the UK on 6/6/76?? Granted, if you could come up with 1976 as year, it's probably unlikely that anyone remembered the actual date. But, the clue still seems pretty shady and not a very satisfying end to this game.
I instagot this by realizing that the sixes in the date corresponded to 666, the number of the Antichrist, rather than trying to think of anything that had been released on the date. What horror movie about the Antichrist has been remade? The Omen.

(And it wasn't a great remake, either.)
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

I won't post on here in too much detail yet, but will be live tweeting during the 730 Eastern broadcast.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I missed the first few clues because my mom flailed about and unplugged the DVR, then flailed about more trying to figure out how to fix it. Because apparently the concept of a plug is so foreign to her. Also our DVR takes like two minutes to reboot if it's turned off by mistake.

High School was very YEKIOYD. I'm supposed to recognize someone entirely from their GPA and a picture of them as a teen?!

I knew "Team America: World Police" would show up in the puppet category. "America, f**k yeah..."

A hair too slow on "Sheepshead" to run Sheepish, all but Being John Malkovich in Puppets. I got hung up on puppet-related movies and was trying to 1-in-4 the four Laika movies.

Lach Trash: White Sands = NM, Mystery Science Theater 3000, flocking

NHO the correct response, so I was sunk here. Not like I could think of a WAG to begin with.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I got FJ!, and thought giving the date in that format made it overly easy, but again, since only one contestant got it right, maybe not too easy after all.

I thought the Mystery Science Theater 3000 clue was poorly worded. I knew they were talking about that show, but I thought the question was asking what show This Island Earth was based on (I certainly had no idea of that!), and that MST3K was negbait for what the clue actually wanted.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I've been busy lately and not posting much. This was an interesting game to watch with three good players, and I look forward to reading badgerfellow's comments later.

The combination of being the right age to remember the original and noticing the 666 made FJ! an instaget. There was some odd synchronicity for me in this game: I grew up in Sheepshead Bay (well, not in the bay) and I watched this episode, which included a clue about heterochromia, right after watching Max Scherzer pitch in an afternoon game against the Cardinals.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I know some horror movies so I had a list to guess from.

But I went with Halloween... even though the date should have told me otherwise.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I first wrote down "The Omen" for FJ, but came very close to switching to "The Exorcist". I think both are very reasonable guesses if you don't know the exact year those movies came out (I don't). I did know that they were both 1970s films.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

First glance: "Halloween, Friday 13th, Tx Chainsaw Massacre; The Exorcist..." Okay what's the TOM here... 6-6-6... >>>DOH! Get it good.
Very strong TOM!

43R; LT: White Sands > NM; Snow Leopard; throw Discus; Newt Gingrich; no get on Americares;
I defy anyone to recognize Liz Warren from her class photo!! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Wow, and here I was thinking that the clue alone was a gimme, much less including the "Scary Movies" category name. There are probably plenty of scary movies with remakes around 30 years later - enough anyway, to create some doubt - but the 6-6-6 thing is practically pathognomic (to use a medical word) for "The Omen," given other options like the ones the two men provided.

I've been doing well with FJs lately, and I think that perhaps the reason is that I am trying to really focus on exactly what the writers have put in the clue. Yeah, sure, there are times when there seems to be irrelevant info in the clue, but I think more often that what's there is there for a specific reason. Every word is part of the trail.

On the other hand, I have certainly muffed my share of FJ!s that others here seem to have had no problem with. Only time will tell if my current approach is overall any better than my old one (the "read the clue and just generally think about it for 30 seconds" method.)
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

6/6/2006 made FJ an instaget. :mrgreen:
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Did anyone else notice that when Alex provided the TS answer of "throwing a discus" he made some kind of weird underhand movement, maybe similar to throwing a frisbee or something else, but in no way representative of how a discus is thrown. It made me chuckle wryly.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Maybe Badgerfellow can fill us in; it might have sounded different on the set standing right next to Greg. However, my wife and I were both very surprised that Greg didn't get a reversal on his answer to the Letterman $800 clue about the Illinois governor.

The guv of course was Rod Blagojevich -- however, to us it sounded like Greg left out the "L" in the last name and said either "Begoyevich" or "Vegojevich."

Could be an audio hiccup with either our broadcast or our DVR, but we listened about five-six times at increasing volumes and definitely did not hear the "L" pronounced.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Yeah, I got FJ off the wording (or, rather, the numbering) of the clue. Without that hint, of course, it would have been virtually ungettable for all but the most diehard horror movie buffs. I didn't know that the original version of The Omen had been released in 1976, but knew that it was of that time period, and that The Exorcist had been a few years earlier than 1976. And the "666" seemed almost like a Pavlovian reference to The Omen. I think I also vaguely recalled the remake, although I only ever saw the original. On this FJ, I briefly considered Rosemary's Baby just due to the Satanic reference in the clue, but was pretty sure that one had come out way too early (1968, it turns out).

Congrats to Jane on the win.

I was surprised to learn that Alex, with all the traveling he's done for video clues and otherwise, hasn't been to Angkor Wat.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

After doing the subtraction and getting to 1976, I initially came up with Carrie, but it only took a few seconds to realize that The Omen fit the 6-6-6 reference much better. I've never seen any of those 'Damien' movies but I was pretty sure the original also came out in 1976.
I'd say this FJ would be pretty tough for millenials, unless they are a classic horror film buff. Much easier for generation X, and that proved out with Jane's sole get.

LT: New Mexico, Throw the Discus, Elizabeth Warren, Newt Gingrich.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

King in Russian is NOT "czar". It's король. (Pronounced "korol") What makes the Jeopardy clue even worse is that Russian had princes and kings called such before they had czars.

Otherwise, an entertaining game between three solid contestants good enough to be champions on many other days. Although Alex's comment that Jane and Trevor were "well in the thick of it" going into FJ was misleading, as Greg had them both crushed. The leader wins in that situation about 70% of the time. This was the other 30%.

For the "Dave's Not Here, Man" $2000 clue, I went with Dave Barry over Dave Sedaris. Okay, I guess the former never worked for NPR, but "hilarity ensues" comes up in his works/descriptions, he was already popular in 1998, and also wrote for the mainstream press. (Miami Herald) I doubt the writers realized how closely Dave Barry fit the category and clues.

LT: How do you throw a discus, Mystery Science Theater 3000

FJ: Instaget. I remember seeing the trailer for the remake and thinking "Poor Julia Stiles! Her film career is headed in the wrong direction..."

Edit-
Category 13 wrote:I'd say this FJ would be pretty tough for millenials, unless they are a classic horror film buff. Much easier for generation X, and that proved out with Jane's sole get.
I would assume the exact opposite. Millenials like myself likely remember seeing the trailer for the remake. And are also better at knowing film years thanks to them being readily available on IMDB and elsewhere. Likely harder for older folks.