Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by acthomas »

I can personally confirm that auditions for Minneapolis have gone out for early May!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

acthomas wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:54 pm I can personally confirm that auditions for Minneapolis have gone out for early May!
Congrats! Go get 'em!
Sprinkles are for winners.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:50 pm
Golf wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:50 pm Just depends on how bad you want a chance to be on Jeopardy. Personally, I think it's laughable that people scoff at a 10+ hour bus ride if it's the only viable option. There's people on this board that would walk if given the chance.
BobF wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:26 pm
Her rational decision, from a purely economic standpoint is to skip. It will have a pretty consequential adverse affect on her if she goes with a roughly 1 in 7 chance of a payoff, and even the payoff has a 1 in 3 chance of not even being enough to cover airfare and accommodations to and in LA. So we're looking at a roughly 9% chance of breaking even and probably a 3% chance of getting enough money to balance out how badly going to the audition would affect her finances.
Sure, the rational move would be to skip. But of course Jeopardy makes rational people do irrational things!

But it sure is frustrating for boardies to see an attitude like this from one who has been given a golden ticket. Oh no, I got picked for another audition. This sucks. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Golf is right on this one. To miss a chance to be on the show---or even to miss an audition, which is as close as some of us get---is inconceivable. Back in the day before the online test, I registered for the home-town audition but didn't get an invite. I kept registering for every audition in even remotely-close range, until I was invited to one 650 miles away. I gladly made the drive and passed the test, but alas, no Call. And I'd do it again.

And the "rational decision" notion is bunk. I can't think of much about the desire to be on the show that IS rational. If you think experiences such as mine are a stupid waste of time, or that the probability of winning bunches of money is slim, or that the probability of being embarrassed on national television is more than you can bear, then don't try out. If the only audition is too far away, don't go. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of irrational folks who are perfectly willing to try year after year.

I'm in the pool now, following the October online test, for the umpteenth time. I don't know if it'll ever happen, and at this point my hope is the running family joke. And I'll keep trying until I either get The Call or I'm too senile to pass the test. It's just what I do.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

I'm not sure where the 1 in 7 figure comes from - the stats I ran say it's closer to a 1 in 4 shot of winning, assuming you take 2 random contestants against a random winner. If you're lucky enough to play against a 1 time winner, it's about 1 in 3.6 (1 time winners win a 2nd game about 45% of the time) , which goes up to 1 in 6 or so if you get someone on a really hot streak (people on long streaks win about 2/3 of the time). Note this assumes random players for the 2 new players, not average players - I, for instance, would have much less than a 1 in 4.
BobF

Post by BobF »

TomFromMD wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 pm I'm not sure where the 1 in 7 figure comes from - the stats I ran say it's closer to a 1 in 4 shot of winning, assuming you take 2 random contestants against a random winner. If you're lucky enough to play against a 1 time winner, it's about 1 in 3.6 (1 time winners win a 2nd game about 45% of the time) , which goes up to 1 in 6 or so if you get someone on a really hot streak (people on long streaks win about 2/3 of the time). Note this assumes random players for the 2 new players, not average players - I, for instance, would have much less than a 1 in 4.
1 in 7 is the approximate odds of getting on the show if you get an audition. I've been told they usually invite 3000 to the auditions, 400 to the show.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

BobF wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:58 pm 1 in 7 is the approximate odds of getting on the show if you get an audition. I've been told they usually invite 3000 to the auditions, 400 to the show.
Ah...a reading comprehension problem. Yet another reason I'm not on Jeopardy. :)
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Does anyone think that TPTB exaggerate/inflate the number of auditionees so that the pool swimmers don't get their hopes too high and don't feel too bad if they don't get The Call. Maybe the odds are much better than 1/7.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

1 in 7 is the approximate odds of getting on the show if you get an audition. I've been told they usually invite 3000 to the auditions, 400 to the show.
cf1140 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:24 pm Does anyone think that TPTB exaggerate/inflate the number of auditionees so that the pool swimmers don't get their hopes too high and don't feel too bad if they don't get The Call. Maybe the odds are much better than 1/7.
The numbers I have heard were about 2500 in-person auditionees, with 400 making the show, which would make it more like a 1/6 chance.

And NO, I do not believe the chances are better than that. (Said the person swimming for the 6th time.) If that is true, then it is even more likely that my personality (or lack thereof) is the reason I'm not getting called. So "La La La -- can't hear you!"
Teems with quiet fun.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cf1140 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:24 pm Does anyone think that TPTB exaggerate/inflate the number of auditionees so that the pool swimmers don't get their hopes too high and don't feel too bad if they don't get The Call. Maybe the odds are much better than 1/7.
No, because they'll never tell us what a passing score is. There's no reason for them to give fake numbers when they don't have to give numbers at all.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Those 1/6 ir 1/7 odds are based on pure numbers. Realistically the odds are different.

X amount of people show up unprepared with five stories and are a lousy interview because of it.

Y amount of people don't play the game well at the audition--forgetting to call categories, not giving an amount, etc.

Z amount of people bomb the in person test.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

Wayne:

I don't know why you keep focusing on the five stories: in my audition this January, I'm pretty sure no one was asked about those stories. We were asked about (1) our occupation, (2) what we do for fun, and (3) what we'd do with the $$$ if we won. That's plenty for an in-audition interview (there's usually followup questions to these based on our responses). And they don't have to read all those sheets while they're grading tests.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

tagNV wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:55 am Wayne:

I don't know why you keep focusing on the five stories: in my audition this January, I'm pretty sure no one was asked about those stories. We were asked about (1) our occupation, (2) what we do for fun, and (3) what we'd do with the $$$ if we won. That's plenty for an in-audition interview (there's usually followup questions to these based on our responses). And they don't have to read all those sheets while they're grading tests.
"Pretty sure" or absolutely sure? How do you know what they asked others had zero to do with what the others wrote down?

So you think they ignore what you've written afterward? You really think if someone can't come up with 5 things to say about themselves the contestant coordinators won't care and put that person on anyway (I wouldn't say never to this but it is certainly less likely).

My point is as always, be prepared for the interview because if you don't "pass" that, you NEVER make the show. If you are at the audition, well you've passed the test and are good enough to play the game, so why focus on that at this point in the process.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

tagNV wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:55 am Wayne:

On the flip side, at mine in March, nearly everyone got to talk about their stories. Meanwhile, I got "what do you do in your spare time" which I did -not- prepare for and ended up giving a dull, pedestrian answer :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:37 am My point is as always, be prepared for the interview because if you don't "pass" that, you NEVER make the show.
This is correct, prepping for the interview should be one of the many things you do before the audition.
If you are at the audition, well you've passed the test and are good enough to play the game, so why focus on that at this point in the process.
This is just flat out wrong. You made a passing grade on one test, but that doesn't mean you are good enough to play the game. You could have been lucky on one test, you could be good on paper but terrible in person, you could have horrible buzzer timing, you could have no clue how to wager on DD's and FJ, you could have gaping holes in your knowledge base that will be exposed in an actual game.

The interview is not the end all be all of auditioning, it's one part in a complete package. Please stop advising people not to study before the audition because it's detrimental to their chances. Unless of course you're trying to sabotage as many contestants as possible to increase your own chances! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:45 pm X amount of people show up unprepared with five stories and are a lousy interview because of it.
Or they just don't do a good interview for some other reason. At the auditions I was at, there seemed to be a few in that category.

There's probably a big group of people who would be fine on the show, but for whatever reason they're not as strong as other auditioners. Maybe their personalities aren't quite as big, or there's a glut of a certain demographic. E.g., maybe a lot of librarians are already slated to appear on the show, and TPTB don't want any more for a while.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

You people do realize I only posted three reasons, I never said it was a complete list.

I never even mentioned about planning on two wardrobes in case something happens to what you plan to wear--you should plan on your wardrobe, something I didn't mention.

As for studying pre-audition; I've only been saying don't bother in the timeframe between audition notification and audition.

If you're interested enough in trivia to take and pass the test, plus be interested enough to go through with the audition, you live the life of studying anyway through going to pub quiz and watching the show among other things.

I've never said stop doing these daily things in the above mentioned timeframe. I've only made the point about trying to cram prior to the audition as the in-person test should not be the focus of your audition.

The time to cram is after that audition because you never know when the call will come. One month of sudden cramming just because an audition is coming isn't likely to do any good.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:38 pm You people do realize I only posted three reasons, I never said it was a complete list.
Yes, I was just adding reasons I thought were more likely. Of the three reasons you gave, I believe probably only Y accounts for very many people not making it on the show. People's anecdotes about auditions lead me to think that the other two are rare.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Golf wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:22 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:37 am If you are at the audition, well you've passed the test and are good enough to play the game, so why focus on that at this point in the process.
This is just flat out wrong. You made a passing grade on one test, but that doesn't mean you are good enough to play the game. You could have been lucky on one test, you could be good on paper but terrible in person, you could have horrible buzzer timing, you could have no clue how to wager on DD's and FJ, you could have gaping holes in your knowledge base that will be exposed in an actual game.
Let's be honest, auditions aren't comprehensive and don't measure every relevant skill. In particular, since buzzer speed isn't really tested at the audition and wagering isn't touched at all, they're irrelevant to this discussion about audition prep.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

naurae29 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:34 pm ... In particular, since buzzer speed isn't really tested at the audition and wagering isn't touched at all,...
At an audition I was at, they checked it, and commented on it. I'm not sure what kind of precision they were looking for, but they gave some feedback. That's just one data point - I don't know what role if any it played or whether they do this regularly.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Magna wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:00 pm
naurae29 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:34 pm ... In particular, since buzzer speed isn't really tested at the audition and wagering isn't touched at all,...
At an audition I was at, they checked it, and commented on it. I'm not sure what kind of precision they were looking for, but they gave some feedback. That's just one data point - I don't know what role if any it played or whether they do this regularly.
As best as I remember from my last audition, they only deal with "are you ringing in or are you STAYing CLAM too much", they're not reflex-testing to see if you're as close to the end of the question as you can be.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan