Wednesday, April 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

IronNeck wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:35 pm
Category 13 wrote:I'd say this FJ would be pretty tough for millenials, unless they are a classic horror film buff. Much easier for generation X, and that proved out with Jane's sole get.
I would assume the exact opposite. Millenials like myself likely remember seeing the trailer for the remake. And are also better at knowing film years thanks to them being readily available on IMDB and elsewhere. Likely harder for older folks.
I was able to navigate the era but also knew I had no guesses for the horror flick. I eliminated the ones with sequels in Roman numerals as being unlikely to meet the "re-release" criterion. I easily made the 6-6-6 connection but that was no help as the closest thing I've come to seeing a horror movie is Jaws or Jurassic Park. No Kill Bills, TCM's, Jasons, etc..

The discus not being picked up on the rebound was surprising. Easy for me as I still throw it, but I must admit the uneven bars was a good guess from out of the box.

Rats - I was hoping for a long run for Badgerfellow. He couldn't get in on the buzzer but he gave it a good shaking! Congrats for your good performance!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

IronNeck wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:35 pm FJ: Instaget. I remember seeing the trailer for the remake and thinking "Poor Julia Stiles! Her film career is headed in the wrong direction..."

Edit-
Category 13 wrote:I'd say this FJ would be pretty tough for millenials, unless they are a classic horror film buff. Much easier for generation X, and that proved out with Jane's sole get.
I would assume the exact opposite. Millenials like myself likely remember seeing the trailer for the remake. And are also better at knowing film years thanks to them being readily available on IMDB and elsewhere. Likely harder for older folks.
What is your definition of "older folks"? Non-millennials (that is, anyone over about 35)? Do you really think that people over 35 don't see or pay attention to movie trailers? Do you think that we are computer illiterate and unable to use the IMDB or don't know it exists? As someone who is 55 years old, I remember seeing the trailer for the remake. I also visit the IMDB several times a week. And for that matter, my mother who passed away a few years at age 79 often used the IMDB on her desktop or her iPad to look up movie or TV information.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The 666 reference went right over my head for some reason and I went with "Friday the 13th." I figured the hint was that both films were released on an actual Friday the 13th. "The Omen" is so obvious in retrospect!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

All right, my comments are going to be very long. I tried to answer in order of posts that were already on here, so feel free to skip spots if need be.

TL;DR Thoroughly enjoyed the show, thank you very much for your insights!

Long version:

Greg knew beef Wellington, couldn’t pull it out in time. Talked with him on that clue afterwards.

Hearing the Omen as correct was a d’oh type of moment. Got the premise of the symbolic date, but couldn’t piece together the film. Just to not have a blank screen, put Exorcist, which was out in 1973 (74? Silverscreentest, correct me?) Rosemary’s Baby was also a consideration, but I knew that was late 60s.

I did remember Julia Stiles being in the remake. That’s about it.

TPH: It’s been such a day, that I want to put everything in a montage!

Greg and I both waffled on MST3K. He got confused on wording, and so did I.

Was half expecting the card game “sheepshead” to show up in the last category. Wisconsin card game, anyone played it? Would have made for a good 2000 clue.

Melanin got wordy, shouldn’t have been a triple stumper though.

Indiana was the biggest WTF moment. Thought of the Dunes State Park near Michigan border, crossed hairs there. To paraphrase a paraphrase, “I can see Indiana from my office building!” Tends to get me in trouble by randomly selecting that state.

Twelvefootboy: My dad is a track coach. Relays mostly, but he definitely got the discus throw and wondered how I didn’t get it. I got thrown off a little on the gymnastics answer myself. Alex definitely made it look like a Frisbee toss.

AFRET CMS: Greg said Blagojevich. Nothing made me question the calls on the show. From watching more closely, do they take out dead time in parts on the show? Seems so.

IronNeck: It was close only if you consider my coin flip miss on mitosis/meiosis. But given the scores at that time, definitely a crush by Greg. He owned Double, save for Jane owning Shakespeare.

I will further add I agree with you that this wasn’t necessarily tough if you were a millennial, especially if you remember that movie specifically. I had some old high school classmates and friends here (I’m 29, btw. Never looks it, but it always fools the carnival workers) who knew it from the remake, which came out right after high school graduation. Nonetheless, Jane actually knew it from the original. She mentioned post game knowing it from watching original in college. I think this proves that the clue could be solved either method, like math in a way.

Overall, great experience. Enjoyed it a lot. Was great to finally watch it. My parents and sister made the trek, and it made the loss a little easier. Looking at the overall stats from this game, though, can’t complain too much. As I learned later, Greg is top notch. He actually referred me to LearnedLeague, and I was stunned when I learned he was A Rundle. Troydozzy, you got your work cut out in Midland!

As for the clicking, that oddly seems to be getting people on Twitter and Facebook. Fortunately, I have a strong enough support system in northern Wisconsin and in Louisville who didn’t mind, so I couldn’t give 2 hoots about what random people say one day and will forget the next. I’ve heard worse on the football field and on the wrestling mat.

To end this manifesto, thank you JBoard for the great discussions through the months, and actually through the years. I heard about the board from the old Sony days after I auditioned for college Jeopardy in 2008 (when I watched college Jeopardy live at UW-Madison) and lurked a little. Officially joined after I got the invite to audition, and your insights made it very helpful for studying. Glad you enjoyed the show! You can follow me @trevorjmahoney on Twitter if you'd like to read more.
Last edited by badgerfellow on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Politician (3), How (4), Story (2), Monument (5), "AR" (2), Letterman (3)
Man (5), Biology (2), Salute (4), Shakespeare (2), Puppets (3), Sheep (3)

Lach Trash: How to make a Beef Wellington (thanks, Gordon Ramsay), New Mexico, how to throw a discus, Newt Gingrich

Not instant, but I remembered first that the original was from 1976, then caught on to the date's significance.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Kinda choked that for once they had a category where they were actually trying to get the players to phrase their responses in an unusual way, but the players weren't taking advantage.
No shade to you, Trevor, but I would have been weirdly psyched if they had negged you for "what is walk like an egyptian", when they wanted "how do you walk like an egyptian".

Instaget final. Knew the Exorcist was from 1973 and Rosemary's Baby was from earlier than that, and those were the only two other possible options IMO.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

badgerfellow wrote:Post
Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. You came across as a good player, but got a tough break. That is, you happened to be playing one of the harder games (in terms of opponents) I've seen in the past month. And yeah, I would not have guessed you are a year younger than myself!

Your button-mashing is fine and exactly what you should be doing, but I imagine it would have been slightly faster if you had rested it against the table.
waterloo_guy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:25 pm
What is your definition of "older folks"? Non-millennials (that is, anyone over about 35)? Do you really think that people over 35 don't see or pay attention to movie trailers? Do you think that we are computer illiterate and unable to use the IMDB or don't know it exists? As someone who is 55 years old, I remember seeing the trailer for the remake. I also visit the IMDB several times a week. And for that matter, my mother who passed away a few years at age 79 often used the IMDB on her desktop or her iPad to look up movie or TV information.
Of course there are exceptions. However, yes, folks in their 40s and 50s tend to pay attention less to new movie trailers (which I don't blame them for one bit) or scour sites like IMDB and the equivalent versus those in their 20s and 30s. It's a broad generalization. The difference might be 30 percent versus 40 percent, but it's there.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:27 am
Your button-mashing is fine and exactly what you should be doing, but I imagine it would have been slightly faster if you had rested it against the table.
I think we've discussed before but would that have been legal? Didn't hear anything on it in orientation, and contestant coordinators didn't say anything either.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

grindcore wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:26 am Kinda choked that for once they had a category where they were actually trying to get the players to phrase their responses in an unusual way, but the players weren't taking advantage.
No shade to you, Trevor, but I would have been weirdly psyched if they had negged you for "what is walk like an egyptian", when they wanted "how do you walk like an egyptian".

Instaget final. Knew the Exorcist was from 1973 and Rosemary's Baby was from earlier than that, and those were the only two other possible options IMO.
I think the "how to" got cut there. I haven't replayed the film, but listening at first, it didn't sound like it made the final edit.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

badgerfellow wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:38 am
I think we've discussed before but would that have been legal? Didn't hear anything on it in orientation, and contestant coordinators didn't say anything either.
You cannot rest it against the table.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BKavett
Contributor

Post by BKavett »

6-6-6 and movie immediately equals The Omen.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:06 pm Yeah, I got FJ off the wording (or, rather, the numbering) of the clue. Without that hint, of course, it would have been virtually ungettable for all but the most diehard horror movie buffs. I didn't know that the original version of The Omen had been released in 1976, but knew that it was of that time period, and that The Exorcist had been a few years earlier than 1976. And the "666" seemed almost like a Pavlovian reference to The Omen. I think I also vaguely recalled the remake, although I only ever saw the original. On this FJ, I briefly considered Rosemary's Baby just due to the Satanic reference in the clue, but was pretty sure that one had come out way too early (1968, it turns out).
Definitely not a diehard movie buff, but I know so little about the movie that I had no idea 666 was associated with "Omen". WAGged that there was a movie called "Number of the Beast" or something but was pretty sure there wasn't (at least, not a famous one). (Which is too bad because it'd be a great excuse to use an excellent album as the soundtrack. (One of my first introductions into heavy metal.))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,400
43 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: How do you make Beef Wellington? (DD); New Mexico; How do you throw the discus?; Mystery Science Theater 3000; Being John Malkovich; flock; Americares

I know there was a movie in the 2000s called The Omen. This is the sum total of my knowledge on the subject.

Good job, badgerfellow! Sorry it ended so soon.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I didn't realize that "The Omen" was that famous. I've never heard of it, and was born during Trebek season 1, and have friends who talk about horror movies regularly.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Volante wrote: You cannot rest it against the table.
Interesting. I will defer to both of you, but can one cradle it in a hand that is then resting on the table itself?

Amusingly, I had a discussion just yesterday about mashing within the context of speedrunning video games. "Slow" mashers hit the button 9-10 times a second. The really fast ones can hit up to 17 (!!!) reps in a second with one hand, and two-handed mashers can get to 20.

Regardless, Trevor's mashing sounded very familiar to me indeed. :)
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

Volante wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:55 am
You cannot rest it against the table.
For what it's worth, I was at a taping not too long ago and I rested the buzzer on the podium/lectern during the practice games. None of the coordinators talked to me about it.

I don't watch scary movies, so unsurprisingly, I was out of luck on this FJ. I recognized the 666 thing almost immediately, but it meant nothing to me.

I thought the category with the politicians' pictures was especially difficult without the text of the clue as a caption of sorts on the broadcast. The old pictures didn't do me many favors, so this is one I would've liked to have played in the studio where the text and picture are simultaneously displayed.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

theamazingchong wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:00 am
I thought the category with the politicians' pictures was especially difficult without the text of the clue as a caption of sorts on the broadcast. The old pictures didn't do me many favors, so this is one I would've liked to have played in the studio where the text and picture are simultaneously displayed.
I was stunned at the picture of Elizabeth Warren. She was an attractive young lady...and I'm not surprised she was described as a strong debater, seeing some of the tounge-lashings she has given others while serving as a Senator.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:14 am
Volante wrote: You cannot rest it against the table.
Interesting. I will defer to both of you, but can one cradle it in a hand that is then resting on the table itself?
Ooo, hard to say. You're technically not resting the signaling device on the table, but the cradle could be considered an extension of the table. That method wouldn't have worked for me, but if I was up against an opponent that did that, I wouldn't care. The viewers who get riled up online will likely care much more.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

Horror movie and 6-6-6 = "The Omen" when you're sitting at home.
Horror movie and 6-6-6 when you're on stage and it's for money and you're finally on Jeopardy! after years of trying could just as likely = OMG, what horror movie from the 70s got remade?
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I dated a girl born June 7, 1966. Her parents always told her she was born on June 6 until she saw her actual birth certificate. Her family was areligious.

Patrick Troughton (Doctor Who #2) was in The Omen and got decapitated by a pane of glass. A brother of a friend was in Omen 3 and was eaten by beagles.

I haven't seen the original The Omen in a while so I don't know how well it holds up. From what I remember, there are similarities to the Final Destination series. In Final Destination, characters appear to have cheated Death so Death comes up with ever more bizarre ways to kill them eventually. Opponents of evil or the Devil in The Omen also fell to weird accidental deaths.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.