Wednesday, April 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

silverscreentest wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:33 am A brother of a friend was in Omen 3 and was eaten by beagles.
I actually remember that! One of about 2-3 mildly noteworthy scenes from a terrible movie.
silverscreentest wrote:I haven't seen the original The Omen in a while so I don't know how well it holds up.
Very well. Frankly, almost all the 70's classics hold up well to this day. In my view, film-making hit its apex that decade, and while it has advanced in certain areas since then, in others it has stagnated or even regressed.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

About the only things I remember from "The Omen" are that the child, Damian, had 666 marked on his head and there's a scene where a priest is killed by being impaled.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I do not watch scary movies. I noticed the 666 connection and figured that meant "The Exorcist". (Someone possessed, presumably by Satan.) I was quite happy with that answer. Ooops.
Teems with quiet fun.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

silverscreentest wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:33 am I dated a girl born June 7, 1966. Her parents always told her she was born on June 6 until she saw her actual birth certificate. Her family was areligious.
I do have a friend who was born 6/6/66. It doesn't bother her at all.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

econgator wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:41 am
silverscreentest wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:33 am I dated a girl born June 7, 1966. Her parents always told her she was born on June 6 until she saw her actual birth certificate. Her family was areligious.
I do have a friend who was born 6/6/66. It doesn't bother her at all.
Why should it? Ain't nothing spooky or satanic about 6666.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So did they seriously want you to recognize a politician entirely from their GPA in school? Dafuq?
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm So did they seriously want you to recognize a politician entirely from their GPA in school? Dafuq?
And where they were from, and what their academic interests were. And all of them were probs in the top 20 most recognizable politicians of this generation. Chill.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

grindcore wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:24 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm So did they seriously want you to recognize a politician entirely from their GPA in school? Dafuq?
And where they were from, and what their academic interests were. And all of them were probs in the top 20 most recognizable politicians of this generation. Chill.
What there academic interests were still seems fishy. That's like those horrible clues on WWTBAM? where they ask "Which famous celebrity's first job was at Hardee's?" as if that were the most commonly thing known about them.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I would have thought their photos would be the most important hint. Perhaps not for you, but generally.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

grindcore wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:24 pm
It was a mix of both knowing photos and knowing their bios. I knew Jindal almost immediately without the bio; Jane got Bernie solely from the description.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:51 pm
I would have thought their photos would be the most important hint. Perhaps not for you, but generally.
Because people always look exactly the same when they're 16 that they do when they're 46.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:15 pm
Because people always look exactly the same when they're 16 that they do when they're 46.
Yes, some people never change. It's kind of sad sometimes, isn't it?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Again, perhaps not you.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

silverscreentest wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:33 am
Patrick Troughton (Doctor Who #2) was in The Omen and got decapitated by a pane of glass. A brother of a friend was in Omen 3 and was eaten by beagles.
Maybe I misremember, but I seem to associate David Warner with the decapitation scene. As I recall, he was behind a truck carrying sheets of window glass that stopped suddenly, and the top pane of glass slid off and got him in the neck. It's been a LONG time since I've seen the film, though, so I could have my characters switched around.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:14 am
badgerfellow wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:38 am
I think we've discussed before but would that have been legal? Didn't hear anything on it in orientation, and contestant coordinators didn't say anything either.
Volante wrote: You cannot rest it against the table.
Interesting. I will defer to both of you, but can one cradle it in a hand that is then resting on the table itself?

Amusingly, I had a discussion just yesterday about mashing within the context of speedrunning video games. "Slow" mashers hit the button 9-10 times a second. The really fast ones can hit up to 17 (!!!) reps in a second with one hand, and two-handed mashers can get to 20.

Regardless, Trevor's mashing sounded very familiar to me indeed. :)
During my time at the lectern, I tended to have my non-buzzer hand flat against top of the lectern. I held the buzzer vertically, thumb on top, with the pinkie side of my palm resting on the top of the lectern. No one ever said anything about my position; it was a lot less fatiguing than holding my fist suspended in mid-air.

The only instructions I remember getting during briefing was a couple of very theatrical demonstrations from Maggie about what not to do. She said "Don't hold the device in one hand and smack the button with your other hand," and demonstrated smacking one palm into her other fist. She also hit her forehead with the thumb side of her fist and said, "Don't hold the device in one hand and smack the button against anything else." I don't remember hand position on the lectern being mentioned at all.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Count me in as one of those who picked up the 6-6-6 reference immediately but could do nothing with it.

For the record, age 61 and definitely *not* a movie buff. I see maybe one new one in-theatre every two or three years on average, and practically never ever download 'em or watch 'em on TV.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I believe the "don't smack the button" rule--more of a guideline than a rule--is purely an accommodation for the audio crew who are trying to get good audio of the game, and not a lot of button-smacking noise. Violators might get a finger wag at a commercial break, but no points off or DQ'ation.

IIRC Mike Day's signature move of inverting the buzzer and thumping it down on the lectern top in Season 1 resulted in a real rule change--the "can't ring in until Alex finishes" rule, complete with lockout enforcement system and false-start penalty.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had Amityville Horror for FJ.

I got discus, but would the hammer have worked, based on the phrasing of the answer?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got Elizabeth Warren from it being in Oklahoma. That was formerly Indian Territory, you know.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:31 pm
Again, perhaps not you.
The photos did nothing to help me, except for Jindal - but it was the photo along with the state. Biden I got entirely from the mention of Delaware.