Thursday, April 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

badgerfellow
One and Done

Re: Thursday, April 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by badgerfellow »

Deborah had a very good rehearsal on the signaling device, so her victory didn't surprise me. Jane really shined in this game, just couldn't quite pull the Final.

After the Double Jeopardy round, Alex had made a comment in taping about "never doing this category ever again. At least not with these contestants," referring to Her Top 40 Bands. I believe that didn't make the final cut?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

On the Martha clue I went with Martha And The Muffins.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

$600 was the only movie in Adjectives that I'd heard of before.

WLT Spaniards at $200?

That Chinese Zodiac category was stupid.

Scherzinger = Pussycat Dolls and Martha Davis = Motels were double NHOIs for me.

Lach Trash: Boxster, rabbit, Paramore.

Geneva = Switzerland = okay, that's a red cross, but what does that have to do with an organization? I got nothing. Seriously, brain, stop freaking doing that.
Vowela
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Vowela »

"What is ®?" was my admittedly bad guess. Like I figured it had to be a symbol you'd be able to easily write down as a response (so I ruled out things like "what are three people with a roof over their head?"), but Red Cross just didn't come to me, and just wound up putting ® to have something. Kind of a shame, since it's a symbol that you actually could easily write as an answer.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

My brain went to the olive branch/dove first before switching to the red cross about 10 seconds into the FJ music.
floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:10 pm They must have been generous on the pronunciation of Ghirardelli because the contestant didn't pronounce the r in it. And I thought I was the one who had blown it by pronouncing the r.
I've seen the Ghirardelli logo a bunch before (from eating their chocolates and visiting SF/other locations with their brand name) and never once have I noticed the 'r' before the 'd.' Good to know.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Is there a way to watch this episode? My DVR did not record Jeopardy Thursday evening so I missed it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:57 am Is there a way to watch this episode? My DVR did not record Jeopardy Thursday evening so I missed it.
Yes, the reddit guy: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:27 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:46 pmWhat was the $1000 clue for Quechua? I don't think I've heard of that word.
Was that lagniappe? I apparently have seen it before, since I knew how to spell it, but I didn't know what it meant.
I don't think I would have ever come up with it--even though I know the word--simply because I presumed it was a French word due to it's association with New Orleans.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:16 am
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:46 pmWhat was the $1000 clue for Quechua? I don't think I've heard of that word.
Was that lagniappe? I apparently have seen it before, since I knew how to spell it, but I didn't know what it meant.
I don't think I would have ever come up with it--even though I know the word--simply because I presumed it was a French word due to it's association with New Orleans.
I remembered what the word looked like from inputting this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5333

I was not able to work out the pronunciation in time though.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:16 am
It is a French word, just derived from Quechua

"American French, from American Spanish la ñapa the lagniappe, from la + ñapa, yapa, from Quechua yapa something added"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:41 pm
Thanks. That's it. It shows up as a response in the archive 2 times and is mentioned a 3rd time.

According to Wikipedia Mark Twain called it "a word worth traveling to New Orleans to get." I guess I saved myself a trip.
I was stationed in central Louisiana in the mid-80s. The first time I heard the word was when clerk tossed an extra cookie or something into the bag and said, "Here's some lagniappe." When she saw the blank look on my face, she said, "That's the Cajun version of a baker's dozen." Got the answer from the clue and that experience, but always thought it was derived straight from French. Never heard of the connection to Quechua.

That's the trouble with Jeopardy. You can know the answer, and STILL learn something new.....
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

theamazingchong wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:14 am My brain went to the olive branch/dove first before switching to the red cross about 10 seconds into the FJ music.
floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:10 pm They must have been generous on the pronunciation of Ghirardelli because the contestant didn't pronounce the r in it. And I thought I was the one who had blown it by pronouncing the r.
I've seen the Ghirardelli logo a bunch before (from eating their chocolates and visiting SF/other locations with their brand name) and never once have I noticed the 'r' before the 'd.' Good to know.
I think very few people would clearly pronounce the r, especially because the syllables are said rapidly. It's a natural elision, and the show is not an elocution contest.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:30 pm how in America is "White Rabbit" a TS? :o Instaget on FJ. Also thought Martha Davis was with the Vandellas--mebbe put that in the poll?
Just a few hours ago, a friend of mine posted: "Surrealistic" is getting to play a roof-raising version of "White Rabbit", then hanging out backstage talking about the guitar lines you just played... with the guy [Jorma] who wrote them 50 years ago. Thankfully, he said I didn't mess things up too badly.
brick

Post by brick »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:40 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:41 pm
Thanks. That's it. It shows up as a response in the archive 2 times and is mentioned a 3rd time.

According to Wikipedia Mark Twain called it "a word worth traveling to New Orleans to get." I guess I saved myself a trip.
I was stationed in central Louisiana in the mid-80s. The first time I heard the word was when clerk tossed an extra cookie or something into the bag and said, "Here's some lagniappe." When she saw the blank look on my face, she said, "That's the Cajun version of a baker's dozen." Got the answer from the clue and that experience, but always thought it was derived straight from French. Never heard of the connection to Quechua.

That's the trouble with Jeopardy. You can know the answer, and STILL learn something new.....
I love those "Slumdog Millionaire" moments.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

25 R, 4 W, and 0 DD

LT: Augustus, King Julien

Another good win by Alan, and for final Rubik's Cube was my first guess and stuck with it, i remember Rubik was Hungarian, so i had a strong feeling i was right about it too.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

oduguy22 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:09 pm 25 R, 4 W, and 0 DD

LT: Augustus, King Julien

Another good win by Alan, and for final Rubik's Cube was my first guess and stuck with it, i remember Rubik was Hungarian, so i had a strong feeling i was right about it too.
Wrong thread!