Wednesday, April 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

badgerfellow
One and Done

Re: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by badgerfellow »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:30 pm I had Amityville Horror for FJ.

I got discus, but would the hammer have worked, based on the phrasing of the answer?
I'd lean towards no based on the modern version of the hammer throw. You need two hands to hold it in the first place, and the hold involves the full palm of the hand. You're not holding the hammer in just the fingertips.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

badgerfellow wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:08 am
As I learned later, Greg is top notch. He actually referred me to LearnedLeague, and I was stunned when I learned he was A Rundle. Troydozzy, you got your work cut out in Midland!
I can't wait! The way everyone played the board made it a fun match to watch. Both you and Greg seemed impressive to me.
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

badgerfellow wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:48 am

I got discus, but would the hammer have worked, based on the phrasing of the answer?
I'd lean towards no based on the modern version of the hammer throw. You need two hands to hold it in the first place, and the hold involves the full palm of the hand. You're not holding the hammer in just the fingertips.
As a former collegiate hammer thrower, you do hold the hammer handle in the fingertips similar to the disc, but as you mentioned you use 2 hands.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:19 am

As a former collegiate hammer thrower, you do hold the hammer handle in the fingertips similar to the disc, but as you mentioned you use 2 hands.
Ah, thanks for correction. Here's the clue as it was written for reference:

"In the Olympics, grip object with finger joints on outside edge; twirl your body; release object"
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

badgerfellow wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:51 am

"In the Olympics, grip object with finger joints on outside edge; twirl your body; release object"
I'd forgotten the exact wording. You can't grip the outside edge of the hammer, like you do the disc, so that would eliminate the hammer (and shot and jav for that matter). And, the hammer handle is gripped by the inner finger joint (closer to the hand) and the disc is gripped with the outer finger joint.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:07 am
badgerfellow wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:51 am

I'd forgotten the exact wording. You can't grip the outside edge of the hammer, like you do the disc, so that would eliminate the hammer (and shot and jav for that matter). And, the hammer handle is gripped by the inner finger joint (closer to the hand) and the disc is gripped with the outer finger joint.
For some reason, trying to visualize it in a few seconds was tough. I went down a similar track (no pun intended) as Greg, thinking a dismount off a pommel horse. Didn't ring in because it didn't seem right. As I mentioned before, my dad, who coaches track, gave me the "Really?" look afterwards.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:15 pm I got Elizabeth Warren from it being in Oklahoma. That was formerly Indian Territory, you know.
To be honest, isn't the entire US formerly Indian Territory?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:15 pm I got Elizabeth Warren from it being in Oklahoma. That was formerly Indian Territory, you know.
I got it because she's been known to say "I'm an Okie down to my toes".
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:32 pm
silverscreentest wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:33 am
Patrick Troughton (Doctor Who #2) was in The Omen and got decapitated by a pane of glass. A brother of a friend was in Omen 3 and was eaten by beagles.
Maybe I misremember, but I seem to associate David Warner with the decapitation scene. As I recall, he was behind a truck carrying sheets of window glass that stopped suddenly, and the top pane of glass slid off and got him in the neck. It's been a LONG time since I've seen the film, though, so I could have my characters switched around.
You're correct. Troughton is the priest who gets impaled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLlSjyZupzU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJS5p_l5Czg

I spent too much time wondering why I hadn't heard of whatever remake the clue was referencing to focus on the date's significance (except that it was summer), so I guessed Jaws (summer of '75)... :oops:
Disappointing, since I was probably there opening weekend in '76. As a teenager, I was pretty excited to see it, but now I'd much rather reread the Mad Magazine takedown, The Ominous, if I could find it.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

lindap wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:23 pm
I capitalized Indian Territory because it was a proper name. Before Oklahoma was a state the land was for a time called Indian Territory.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:30 pm
I don't quite remember the phrasing, but it said or implied the last digit of the phalanges, which is how you hold the discus, like palming a basketball. That eliminates any other answer I believe, including the gymnastic considerations. You hold a hammer with a full two fisted grip and your gloves can't have full fingers in them.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:51 am
I don't quite remember the phrasing, but it said or implied the last digit of the phalanges, which is how you hold the discus, like palming a basketball. That eliminates any other answer I believe, including the gymnastic considerations. You hold a hammer with a full two fisted grip and your gloves can't have full fingers in them.

edit - I just noticed said grip on my PV pole, lol...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:52 am

I think you are continually mistaking the Quote button for the Edit button.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:52 am

In the Olympics, grip object with finger joints on outside edge; twirl your body; release object
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

floridagator wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:31 am
lindap wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:23 pm
I capitalized Indian Territory because it was a proper name. Before Oklahoma was a state the land was for a time called Indian Territory.
It was a joke.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

I also immediately recognized Fauxahontas from the Oklahoma part of the clue.

(My spouse is an honest-to-Great-Spirit card carrying Cherokee with ancestors who died on the Trail of Tears, and has given me express written permission to ruthlessly ridicule Lieawatha as much as I please :mrgreen: )
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Just catching up to my watching ...
Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:46 pm The combination of being the right age to remember the original and noticing the 666 made FJ! an instaget. There was some odd synchronicity for me in this game: I grew up in Sheepshead Bay (well, not in the bay) and I watched this episode, which included a clue about heterochromia, right after watching Max Scherzer pitch in an afternoon game against the Cardinals.
I was lucky enough to spend the first game after Max's first no-hitter chatting the whole game with his father, who was sitting right behind me. I was also able to congratulate Max after the game. And yes, those eyes are wild in person.

It's always a bummer to see a Boardie lose, but I'm sure you had a blast nonetheless, Trevor. Hope you stick around! Words of wisdom are always welcome here.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:23 am About the only things I remember from "The Omen" are that the child, Damian, had 666 marked on his head and there's a scene where a priest is killed by being impaled.
You forgot the clown!? There's a moment early in the film where Damien's nanny hangs herself at his birthday party ("Damien, it's all for you!"), setting up some fantastic reaction shots. I like that the Jeopardy! writers are jumping on the horror bandwagon

"How do you" get three otherwise smart contestants to phrase their response beginning with 'How do you...?"

I'm almost caught up on S33!

LT: New Mexico, snow leopard, discus, Elizabeth Warren, melanin

So what IS the difference between mitosis and meiosis? I won the coin flip this time

Had no idea Cordelia was hanged / hanged herself? Back to the books!