Friday, April 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 2010 study of this country is subtitled “Inside the Land of Milk and Money”

Deborah Beams: 4400-3100=1300 (2x = $23,300)
Elspeth Green: 11800-11201=599
Jim Hope: 12400-11201=1199

Correct response:
Spoiler
Switzerland (Deborah – Israel) (Elspeth – UAL [unable to complete UAE]) (Jim – Israel)

Daily Doubles
Jim: 5800+1000
Deborah: 1800+1800
Deborah: 6400-2000

Coryats
Deborah: 5400
Elspeth: 11800
Jim: 12200

Combined: 29,400

Edited to correct Coryats.
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jim Hope had a good one for his chat with Alex that a character on The Simpsons is named for him.

“Grift of the Magi” was a S11 episode.

Jim on J! has a page on IMDb:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0394002/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

LITERARY CHICAGO $1200: Chicago “was the great mysterious city which was a still a magnet for” this Theodore Dreiser title woman

Deborah gave just “Carrie” and that was good enough for Alex as he completed the title adding “Sister.”

Jim did well with WHAT ‘80s MOVIES IS THAT SONG FROM? and he managed to have the lead for the FJ! round despite his earlier missed phrasing error stumble for $1200.

The FJ! clue was a 30-second miss for me as I wrote the popular wrong response trap that Alex expected. As the music was just completing I thought of the correct place with no opportunity to write it. I knew what I had on the paper was wrong and it took me too long to figure out the trick to solving the clue.

A win is a win and Deborah found a way to get to a third game. That’s all that matters.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a win for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

BAD WAGER ALERT :idea: :arrow: :!: :| :?:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had Brazil for FJ. There was no hope for me in narrowing down the possibilities on that one.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:36 pm There was no hope for me in narrowing down the possibilities on that one.
I was never making that connection. Just guessed Saudi Arabia to guess something.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I don't get why "hedge" didn't get a BMS.

I had Israel on the back burner in case I couldn't come up with anything else, and I was definitely not 100% sure of Switzerland, but the answer just seemed to make sense once I really starting overthinking what milk and money could be referring to.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

Got FJ! about 15 seconds in. The 'milk' angle didn't yield much at first, but I started thinking about where rich people like stashing their money (Cayman Islands, etc.) and then Switzerland fell into place. Israel didn't cross my mind at all so I was confused when Alex said there was a trap, but it made sense when he referenced the Bible quote. I'm happy going 4/5 this week on FJ, though.

I've also been negging a lot more lately, which is simultaneously worrisome and encouraging. Worrisome because I'm buzzing in and answering incorrectly, but encouraging because my answers are often a step off the right ones (e.g., Pompeii for Vesuvius on the J! round DD). Hoping I can get over the hump sooner rather than later.
Prizes
Just Started Her First Lap in the Jeopardy! Pool!

Post by Prizes »

Not my greatest day, didn't do well with fencing in regular Jeopardy, made up for it in DJ with a nice little comeback, but still not too happy with myself on the whole. Usually, I find myself doing much better at something like the fencing set or the celebs in the clues.

Did get Final though for a bit of sweetness, thinking about what countries are known for their banks, led me to Europe. From there, thought about what could be made with milk, lucky that chocolate came to mind as an association word. Thought of Hershey's (no, USA), Nestle...wait, Nestle's HQ is in Vevey, went with it, although not terribly confidently given the latter behind milk.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Spoilered because it mentions an FJ from earlier this week.
Spoiler
I was worried throughout tonight's FJ. I wrote down "Switzerland" because it seemed like the best fit, but part of me was thinking "It can't be Switzerland because that's too similar to yesterday's FJ." I still stuck with it though, because I thought: dairy products and banking? It feels right.

When Alex mentioned a trap, my first thought was "Darn it, Switzerland must have been the trap."
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

So if the your in second place, and the leader has to bet xxxxx to lock you out, what makes you think you're going to beat him if you wager the exact same amount as him?

Deborah really fell behind in this game but recovered enough to be in striking distance at the last DD. Good thing she didn't use Iron Neck's wagering advice and bet it all. Now she gets to come back and play another game.

LT: 400 feet, hedgerow, bulkheads
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I had about 193 precalls on this FJ. :) As for the clue itself, I fell into the trap, spoiling my chance for a 5/5 week. It didn't help that Israel was on my mind because I had been there recently. And I figured the "money" in the book's title could be a reference to Israel's successful high-tech industries.

Needless to say, poll question for Israel requested of Mr. Barrett.

ETA: Here's what the second edition of the book looks like.

Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget. 51R. LT: 1871 Otto Von Bismarck (also found in J6! today) > Chancellor; Jotnur >Giants; Clipper ship, Azores, "If there's a bustle in your HEDGE ROW, dont be alarmed now, its just a spring-clean for the May Queen" > Led Zepp; bulkhead; FJ. Yay @win by default... ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Shocked that FJ was a TS. Cheese + milk chocolate + banks was an obvious instaget for me. I didn't even know what Alex was talking about with a "trap." Deborah proved my strategy of when you are in third place in a close game, bet low.

None of the contestants have apparently heard "Stairway to Heaven." "My Sweet Satan" was in the backmasked "bustle in your hedgerow" line. Anyone else precall Carl Sandburg for the "Literary Chicago" category?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also started in the Middle East but it didn't seem to fit. I couldn't think of a country known for milk but then Swiss cheese and chocolate came to mind along with their banks.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

I wanted to wait a little to discuss this game, because this game was the most intriguing of the week for obvious reasons, so I'll go ahead.

Jim and Elspeth had some really cool stories for the game today, no matter what Alex says. Really this whole week had some good ones, but I'm biased of course :D

Jim running the 80s category was also fun to watch in studio. He's definitely a hoot.

I felt bad for Elspeth on that wager. Talked to her afterwards and you could tell she knew she goofused. She handled it with grace, though. Fun fact: she actually receives newsletters from the Melville Society. Also, going to Princeton now, is very familiar with the NJ Turnpike. Not sure how the other 2 finals would have gone for her, but I think she would do well in most games this week.

This whole week of shows, having been in the studio the whole time, really showed me how much luck plays into this game, and how one little thing can happen (or happen repeatedly) and you get lambasted for it.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

badgerfellow wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:26 pm
I felt bad for Elspeth on that wager. Talked to her afterwards and you could tell she knew she goofused. She handled it with grace, though.
Yep, if she had just wagered enough to lock out Deborah, Elspeth would've won with about $3,000. No reason to wager nearly everything in second Place. I was pulling for her because she at least came close on the "Stairway To Heaven" clue. (Plus, she's hot.)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Switzerland. I missed Scott Turow even though I think he was discussed on this forum within the last few months.

Here's a video of a goldfish swimming through a hoop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHC-X8xBMOI

The contestants got a lot of clues right I don't think there were any triple stumpers in the Jeopardy! round.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.