Friday, April 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, April 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

That's pretty funny, hbomb. I just posted the exact same link about the dairy industry in Israel and then noticed you had just posted it. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:10 am I'm with TPH here. I didn't know that quote.
I've heard it in Pocahontas and a philosophy class.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:10 am I'm with TPH here. I didn't know that quote.
Ditto.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:42 am
Ditto.
I hadn't, either. I guessed puddle since that is something shallow you only step in once.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:15 am
I'm gonna tentatively second Pocahontas, don't know where else I would've picked it up.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Volante wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:52 am
seaborgium wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:15 am
I'm gonna tentatively second Pocahontas, don't know where else I would've picked it up.
Have seen Pocahontas, but it's been a while and forgotten it. Otherwise, that would be the only time I would have heard it. Definitely didn't get it playing along.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I haven't seen Pocahontas in 20 years, but my sister asked me to play "Colors of the Wind" on her piano. Luckily, a.) she had sheet music, and b.) I'm a good sightreader.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

*puts on some semblance of an Admin hat*

I'm with Robert K S here. We have a TPH Education Thread on the board. Can we try to keep using it? That way, those who don't want to see those sorts of posts can still enjoy the game threads without it devolving too much into the wants of one user?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A search of J! Archive reveals that the Heraclitus quote was last used in a clue in 1999 (also asking for "river"). Alice Walker also put out a book in 1996 called The Same River Twice, which I gather is some sort of an epistolary memoir of the time The Color Purple was being made into a film, and J! has mentioned it in clues as recently as 2012.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

I am impressed by Deborah's demeanor and sartorial elegance. This was an enjoyable surprise ending in spite of ill-advised wagering.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Plus I've been on the NJ Turnpike but never knew about the rest stops.

I didn't remember the Brown Swiss as a dairy cow, and confuse it with Shorthorns as one of the minor breeds of cattle (I'm smack in farm country and took FFA in high school). The Brown Swiss is indeed a dairy cow, but so far down the list I didn't make it to them. After rejecting the USA in spite of Wisconsin and Wall Street, I thought England because the quintessential family cow is a Jersey or a Guernsey. The overwhelming commercial cow is a Holstein - but surely not Germany. I also toyed with France for the cheese component, but settled on Swiss, without considering chocolate in the equation (not really a dairy product). It was a money shot over a milk mustache.

For the helpful comments about Israel having cows, and the Middle East having cows, of course. But they are better known for camels than cows or dogs or goats. I don't disparage these guesses, but I connected milk to cows much stronger than I did to chocolate. But I'm the hick who bought cocoa butter at a drugstore as a teenager because I thought it would be an awesome candy bar.

Good week of clues - I though I was going to fall short of my 3/5 of the last two weeks but just made it. I easily could have missed two of them and easily could have gotten one more. No chance in hell of pulling out the Omen (is that kind of a pun or a Tom Swift?).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

So, since when is "Chancellor" a prefix? I was really confused by that clue. I knew he was chancellor, but guessed "arch" (as in 'arch-chancellor') in order to make it a prefix. This is probably a case (as frequently happens in Jeopardy) of too much knowledge being a bad thing.
davey

Post by davey »

Foretopman wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:56 am So, since when is "Chancellor" a prefix? I was really confused by that clue. I knew he was chancellor, but guessed "arch" (as in 'arch-chancellor') in order to make it a prefix. This is probably a case (as frequently happens in Jeopardy) of too much knowledge being a bad thing.
cheeseguyty provided a link earlier in the thread that explained this. Alex could have explained it more succinctly. (And it's another case in which starting at the top of the thread might have made the category clearer...)

If you go here
https://www.roh.org.uk/register
and choose Title then Other
you can see the list of what I would have called honorifics, not prefixes.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

davey wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:26 am
what I would have called honorifics, not prefixes.
This is all I'm saying. The wording of the clue, using 'prefix' (and they only used 'prefix' on that one clue), instead of 'title' or 'honorific', really confused me. I'm not saying the clue was wrong, I'm just saying the use of the word 'prefix' was strange, and it seems that you agree with me. I'm going to shut up now; I'm pretty sure this horse is dead.
davey

Post by davey »

Foretopman wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:01 pm
davey wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:26 am
what I would have called honorifics, not prefixes.
This is all I'm saying. The wording of the clue, using 'prefix' (and they only used 'prefix' on that one clue), instead of 'title' or 'honorific', really confused me. I'm not saying the clue was wrong, I'm just saying the use of the word 'prefix' was strange, and it seems that you agree with me. I'm going to shut up now; I'm pretty sure this horse is dead.
Yes, I agree, but prefix is what the Royal Opera House calls them, and it fits a definition in dictionaries, viz., dictionary.com, something prefixed, as a title before a person's name: She uses the prefix “Ms.” rather than "Mrs.".