Monday, April 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
UNIVERSITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This university on John C. Calhoun’s former plantation is named for Calhoun’s son-in-law, who gave the land

Deborah Beams: 5800+2500=8300
Jamie Newland: 17000-1500=15500 (New Champ)
Kevin McGinty: 7400+7400=14800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Clemson (Jamie – Vanderbilt)

Daily Doubles
Deborah: 5000-1600
Jamie: 15600+1000
Deborah: 7800-2000

Coryats
Deborah: 9400
Jamie: 17600
Kevin: 7400

Combined: 34,400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's spring break week for me, so my plan is to get the FJguy post up soon after watching J! at 7:30-8 PDT. That of course depends on the daily thread's posting time.

The highlight of today's game? This:

I thought today's game might not be a runaway as after clue 3 each player was on the board.

The San Francisco-centric clues about Uber/Lyft and the Dan White case helped my Coryat.

The MEDAL OF FREEDOM RECIPIENTS category was one where I knew some of the names ahead of time as I had seen this video from Ellen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ZMTGB8NKM

Deborah was 0/2 on her DD clues. 50% success rate may have been enough to make Jamie pay for the curse of the leader in the FJ! round.

The FJ! clue made laugh as I recalled this Hammer post from the 2/16 thread:

"Clemson is a town?!?! Talk about undervalued."

I can't wait to see how he does with the clue tonight. Unlike others I do not have a foe list.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

I also had Vandy myself.

And J! doesn't even air until 3:30 in Oklahoma City.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What a tease. How can they show us a tribble and not have a couple more lying around after the break, all culminating in a floor littered with the things by the end of FJ?

I had Vanderbilt as well. I was kind of hopeful I would luck into a get. As soon as I saw Deborah's response, I knew it was right.

It didn't end up mattering, but Deborah had no reason not to go big on that last DD. A miss was the end of her chances regardless. I'd have bet it all but a buck, just to keep from doing the walk of shame.

EDIT: Ok, not QUITE the end of her chances regardless. She had $7,800 to Jamie's $17,000 with $800 left on the board. If she HATED the category, she could've bet $5 and hoped against hope that she could pick up the final $800 clue. But losing any bet over $500 eliminates her even if Jamie goes on to miss that $800 clue AND she picks it up on the rebound.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I swear, my job is going to literally kill me. I'm fatigued, mentally and physically.

NHO Miss Marple that I recall.

Daredevil and Black Widow were my misses in Marvel. The former rings no bells.

When was the last time Alex used a prop in a clue?

"Contractors" was undervalued at $200 in Lyft/Uber. That whole category seemed very YEKIOYD.

Ran Fluff and 3 + 3. My sister will be disappointed that no one got the Gabriel Iglesias clue.

That Border category was ridiculously tough.

No guess on FJ!
Golf

Post by Golf »

What an absolutely terrible endgame. With 4 clues left and Kevin way behind, he chooses the only clue on the board guaranteed not to hold the remaining DD. Then when Deborah finds the pot of gold on the penultimate clue in a locked out situation she wagers $2k? Really? Not even going to try to win the game? And to top it off Kevin did his level best to throw away an extra $1k with that wager.

This is why strategy should be a part of the audition, that way only players that actually try to win the game get the call. It's so frustrating to watching these people get the chance of a lifetime only to not even understand how to play.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:28 pm What a tease. How can they show us a tribble and not have a couple more lying around after the break, all culminating in a floor littered with the things by the end of FJ?

I had Vanderbilt as well. I was kind of hopeful I would luck into a get. As soon as I saw Deborah's response, I knew it was right.

It didn't end up mattering, but Deborah had no reason not to go big on that last DD. A miss was the end of her chances regardless. I'd have bet it all but a buck, just to keep from doing the walk of shame.
All of this, though I was wondering if that tribble would squeak, personally.

This FJ miss will annoy me for years. Vanderbilt? Vanderbilt? Bah. Brain fart of the season.

3 swings and misses at which country is north of Colombia??!!?

It's cool, we didn't want a 3 day+ champ or anything.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I went to Furman first on FJ and then thought of Winthrop, but the correct university came to me in time.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:28 pm What a tease. How can they show us a tribble and not have a couple more lying around after the break, all culminating in a floor littered with the things by the end of FJ?
400 quatloos to the person who adds "likes" or "upvotes" to JBoard, for posts like this.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Marvel (1), Body (4), Fluff (1), Medal (4), Lyft/Uber (3), 3 + 3 (2)
Marvelous (2), Sports (4), World War II (4), Law (4), Border (4), "Q"uiz (1)

Lach Trash: Siberia, self-driving (driver-less), Panama, Senegal & The Gambia; Daily Double: Maya Lin

Instaget FJ- haven't been to Clemson, but I remember seeing Calhoun Drive there on Google Maps, as well as knowing John Calhoun's ties to South Carolina.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Wowzers, a true triple-stumper LT on the country north of Colombia. Knowing Panama was originally part of Colombia and broke away with TR's blessing so we could build the canal helped me get that one. "A man, a plan, a canal. Panama!"

Went with Duke on FJ as I knew it had to be in the South. Thought "Climpson" was named for the town, not the other way around. Vandy was obviously named for industrialist Cornelius.
Last edited by Kenny on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who went with Vanderbilt. Clemson crossed my mind near the end of the think music but not a strong enough bump to cause me to change my answer.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I went from Calhoun to South Carolina and from there to Clemson, but had low confidence in it. I stuck with it because I had nothing else.

Also, how many other TV shows have had the kind of cultural impact of Star Trek? The Simpsons arguably. Anything else?
Last edited by Foretopman on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I don't know how to work the Archive search mastery, but anyone thinking today's tribble was the first time Alex held something for a clue is far from right as it's happened previously. I'm thinking a couple of dozen times or so at least. Here's one example I was able to find:

#524, aired 1986-12-11 BEER $200 (Daily Double): [Video Daily Double] TV series in which title characters worked for this brewery: [Alex held up a mug with"Shotz Beer" on it.]
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 pm I don't know how to work the Archive search mastery, but anyone thinking today's tribble was the first time Alex held something for a clue is far from right as it's happened previously. I'm thinking a couple of dozen times or so at least. Here's one example I was able to find:

#524, aired 1986-12-11 BEER $200 (Daily Double): [Video Daily Double] TV series in which title characters worked for this brewery: [Alex held up a mug with"Shotz Beer" on it.]
This Google search turns up a few: https://www.google.com/#q=%22alex+holds ... rchive.com
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Foretopman wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 pm I went from Calhoun to South Carolina and from there to Clemson, but had low confidence in it. I stuck with it because I had nothing else.
This is pretty much me.

I'll admit that I got confused by the South America clue. I know the relevant facts, but I just had trouble processing the clue in real time.

(There's a different trivia fact I've heard before, and it got in the way even though it wasn't needed here. There are exactly two countries in South America as a whole that don't border Brazil. One of them is Ecuador and the other is Chile. Not relevant for this clue, of course, but for a moment I thought they were going to ask about that and then I just got confused. We want a country to the north of which country again? Easy for it to not click right away.)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:19 am
The San Francisco-centric clues about Uber/Lyft and the Dan White case helped my Coryat.
I was just glad there were no clues asking where Uber has been banned. :D

That aside, I don't see how any of the clues in that category, or the Dan White clue, were any harder for someone outside the Bay Area. Also, I had to laugh when the clue about self-driving Ubers came up, because I was just chatting with a friend in Pittsburgh last night about my upcoming visit to that city, and she mentioned that the Burgh has self-driving Ubers. It's a test city for that concept. The wording of the clue was a little misleading (although not in a way that would lead any contestants astray) in that the "self-driving" Ubers have human "safety drivers" in the front seat in case intervention is required. And in fact, I read that a study showed that on average, the safety drivers in Pittsburgh intervene every 0.8 miles. Anyway, while I don't remember the exact wording of the clue, the point is that you're actually not devoid of human contact when you're in one of those self-driving vehicles.

For FJ, it was "Pick a university in South Carolina that sounds like it was named after a person." Granted there are several that fall into that category, but I figured they were going to go for the one that was most famous nationally due to things like high-profile sports success, so that it would be reasonably gettable for people from outside the southeastern U.S. So the clue was basically about drawing the connection between Calhoun and S.C., and then knowing that Clemson was in that state.

I fell for the O'Hare trap on the airport question after losing a Dawson Crossin' on it. In fairness, in the metric of takeoffs and landings (rather than total passengers), O'Hare was busiest in that category in 2014 (but ATL was ahead of it in all other years from 2005 through 2015, and statistics for 2016 aren't yet available, at least on wikipedia. :) )
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

skullturf wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:18 pmI'll admit that I got confused by the South America clue. I know the relevant facts, but I just had trouble processing the clue in real time.
Same here.

"The two countries that border Colombia but not Brazil are Ecuador and this one to the north"

I thought the wording was weak, because I didn't grok that "this one to the north" was pinned to "Colombia". I thought they wanted something to the north of either Ecuador or Brazil.