Monday, April 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 pm I don't know how to work the Archive search mastery, but anyone thinking today's tribble was the first time Alex held something for a clue is far from right as it's happened previously. I'm thinking a couple of dozen times or so at least. Here's one example I was able to find:

#524, aired 1986-12-11 BEER $200 (Daily Double): [Video Daily Double] TV series in which title characters worked for this brewery: [Alex held up a mug with"Shotz Beer" on it.]
There was one from the late 1980s (not in the Archive) where AT manually operated a bullwhip for a VDD, and another where he held a puppy dog.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:19 am
The FJ! clue made laugh as I recalled this Hammer post from the 2/16 thread:

"Clemson is a town?!?! Talk about undervalued."
I suppose you also saw my comment in that game.

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
The college football national championship mentioned in the clue happened less than six weeks ago. Just stop.
I've been trying to forget that game.
Apparently my attempts to forget succeeded as Clemson never came to mind today. I focused way too much on Calhoun. He was very pro-slavery and a big advocate of states' rights. He died in 1850, but had he lived, he likely would have been an elder statesman in the Confederate government. (He would have been 79 when the war started).

So I went with The Citadel. It is in Charleston, South Carolina, and is a military school much aligned with the Old South. But it probably isn't that well known nationally and an unlikely choice for a FJ clue.

I can't wait to see how he does with the clue tonight. Unlike others I do not have a foe list.
Well, he missed it tonight and also said he'd never heard of Agatha Christie's female detective who has 35 archive hits and was last mentioned four days after the game you referred.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:57 pm
So I went with The Citadel. It is in Charleston, South Carolina, and is a military school much aligned with the Old South. But it probably isn't that well known nationally and an unlikely choice for a FJ clue.
It's also an unlikely surname for Calhoun's son-in-law. :)

Incidentally, from the wiki about Clemson:

"Thomas Green Clemson, the university's founder, came to the foothills of South Carolina in 1838, when he married Anna Maria Calhoun, daughter of John C. Calhoun, a South Carolina statesman and seventh U.S. Vice President. When Clemson died on April 6, 1888, he left most of his estate, which he inherited from his wife, in his will to be used to establish a college that would teach scientific agriculture and the mechanical arts to South Carolinians."

So does that mean it's against the terms of his will for the school to admit out-of-state applicants?" :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:28 pm What a tease. How can they show us a tribble and not have a couple more lying around after the break, all culminating in a floor littered with the things by the end of FJ?
Welcome back. Hope you enjoyed Lent.

Golf wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 pm What an absolutely terrible endgame. With 4 clues left and Kevin way behind, he chooses the only clue on the board guaranteed not to hold the remaining DD. Then when Deborah finds the pot of gold on the penultimate clue in a locked out situation she wagers $2k? Really? Not even going to try to win the game? And to top it off Kevin did his level best to throw away an extra $1k with that wager.
Her wager was enough to win the game if she had answered the clue correctly.

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:31 pm
For FJ, it was "Pick a university in South Carolina that sounds like it was named after a person."

I fell for the O'Hare trap on the airport question
Ditto x2.

I missed Aquarius and guessed Libra. I got confused because they're both holding something. I missed Maya Lin and guessed Miranda Lin. There was some sort of confusion with Lin-Manuel Miranda for absolutely no good reason. I'm pretty sure I won't miss those two again. Maya Lin comes up a lot.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:28 pm What a tease. How can they show us a tribble and not have a couple more lying around after the break, all culminating in a floor littered with the things by the end of FJ?
They already did that, in a Teen Tournament episode 20 years ago. (It's denoted as "infestation of the tribbles" in J-Archive.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:29 pm "Contractors" was undervalued at $200 in Lyft/Uber. That whole category seemed very YEKIOYD.
And sometimes you just have to know it.

Wrote Duke for FJ. Knew it was wrong. Should've just written what I was thinking: "That U. in SC that has the Tigers that I can't think the name of."
I'd take the pity point...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:00 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:57 pm
It's also an unlikely surname for Calhoun's son-in-law. :)
Good old Joe Citadel. He was quite a guy.

I thought Calhoun was from South Carolina and Clemson was the first university in SC I could think of that seemed like it could plausibly be named for a person, so Clemson it was. Can't say I was super confident.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Golf wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 pm What an absolutely terrible endgame. With 4 clues left and Kevin way behind, he chooses the only clue on the board guaranteed not to hold the remaining DD. Then when Deborah finds the pot of gold on the penultimate clue in a locked out situation she wagers $2k? Really? Not even going to try to win the game? And to top it off Kevin did his level best to throw away an extra $1k with that wager.

This is why strategy should be a part of the audition, that way only players that actually try to win the game get the call. It's so frustrating to watching these people get the chance of a lifetime only to not even understand how to play.
I agree with everything you wrote. At the same time, these poor decisions simply make the prospects that much better for any savvy, well-prepared competitor.

I've seen a lot of multi-day champions who I believe weren't as naturally gifted or even interested in trivia as less successful contestants, but they prepared well, whereas their opponents did not.

LT: Siberia, Gabriel Iglesias, self-driving, World Cup

FJ: Said Emory.
Last edited by IronNeck on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

It's maybe twice a season where I have to rewind back to the clue to figure out what the writers were talking about but I definitely had to do so on that Panama clue.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:31 pm For FJ, it was "Pick a university in South Carolina that sounds like it was named after a person."
WLT South Carolina? I got that it was the South from "plantation". Is "John C. Calhoun" a Pavlov for SC?
skullturf wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:18 pm I'll admit that I got confused by the South America clue. I know the relevant facts, but I just had trouble processing the clue in real time.

(There's a different trivia fact I've heard before, and it got in the way even though it wasn't needed here. There are exactly two countries in South America as a whole that don't border Brazil. One of them is Ecuador and the other is Chile. Not relevant for this clue, of course, but for a moment I thought they were going to ask about that and then I just got confused. We want a country to the north of which country again? Easy for it to not click right away.)
Same. This is normally a wheelhouse category, but I just got lost there, and the contestants answering S. American countries didn't help me with the rebound (as I was still trying to figure things out by the time the first contestant answered.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

How come I can't miss with Vanderbilt like all the cool kids here? I guessed Emory University because:

a) I think that Emory is south-ish, and I think Calhoun is a southerner, what with the plantation and slavery and all
b) It seemed like a person's name and not the name of a town, ergo a benefactor who might like those hot Calhoun girls. so what school names can i come up with that sound like people?

I stopped at Emory because I brain locked on teasing out any more names that were not a University of blank, or State University, etc..

When the reveal came, I cried Foul! because Clemson is a town name, not some rich white dude who can buy his wife a college.

IMHO, the TOM is broken by sharing the name of a town. Purdue, Vanderbilt, etc.. are valid guesses for namesake schools. I'm sure the towns are named after schools quite often instead of the other way around.

The Uber/Lyft category is definitely not for baby boomers in Pickup Truck country. Mustache?

I want to give props to Mark Barrett for his opening posts every day. I don't get the whole dynamics of who is doing the heavy lifting here, but a lot of people are doing a great job. Mark's posts are like reading the news report of a good ball game you just watched and realizing what you missed.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 pm The Uber/Lyft category is definitely not for baby boomers in Pickup Truck country. Mustache?
Yeeeeeeah.......

To say it made cars+drivers a target would be a smidgen of an understatement.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:35 pm Is "John C. Calhoun" a Pavlov for SC?
Yep
davey

Post by davey »

Another Vanderbilt here and I'm kind of ashamed of it...I had read about Calhoun recently but I still blanked on what Southern state he was from. Even if I'd remembered SC, I don't think I'd have gotten to Clemson.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 pm How come I can't miss with Vanderbilt like all the cool kids here? I guessed Emory University because:

a) I think that Emory is south-ish, and I think Calhoun is a southerner, what with the plantation and slavery and all
b) It seemed like a person's name and not the name of a town, ergo a benefactor who might like those hot Calhoun girls. so what school names can i come up with that sound like people?

I stopped at Emory because I brain locked on teasing out any more names that were not a University of blank, or State University, etc..
I missed with Emory, too. That part of my post got eaten for some reason.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

Do you think they would have accepted just "Truman" instead of "Margaret Truman"? The contestant got it wrong by using the first name Bess, but I'm wondering if someone at that point could still have gotten it by just the last name.

Also, it ticked me off that the runner-up's FJ answer was "What Clemson". They make you write the "Who/what/etc. is" during the commercial break, so that part you should always have. "What Clemson" isn't really a question (though he had that problem throughout tonight's game).
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 pm

When the reveal came, I cried Foul! because Clemson is a town name, not some rich white dude who can buy his wife a college.
As the wikipedia excerpt that I posted upthread shows, Thomas Green Clemson was not wealthy prior to becoming Calhoun's son-in-law and he didn't "buy his wife a college." He married up, and he eventually inherited the estate from his wife Anna (John C. Calhoun's daughter), and then upon his death in 1888 he left most of the estate for the purpose of establishing the university. BTW, the town was originally named Calhoun but was renamed Clemson in 1943. But all of this is beside the point; the clue was simply trying to get you to identify a famous college in South Carolina that bears a name that could also be a person's last name.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

I guess I don't understand how Seward is so closely associated with SC. I was thinking Deep South, but it didn't occur to me that the university in question had to be in SC.

Deborah's FJ wager with LTAMTG was bizarre. Yes, I understand if sports is not in your wheelhouse, but at least give yourself a shot at making it a non-runaway.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Fell for the Vanderbilt negbait on FJ. I knew John C. Calhoun = somewhere in the South, but completely forgot he was a South Carolina man. :oops: I too thought Clemson was named after the town and had no earthly idea the namesake was a person.

Ran The Marvel Universe (natch :mrgreen:), 3 + 3, The Marvelous Universe (another natch :mrgreen: and including the asteroid LT), and The Law. Also got the Dominican Republic/Haiti DD and Panama LT.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

French Rage wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:29 am Do you think they would have accepted just "Truman" instead of "Margaret Truman"? The contestant got it wrong by using the first name Bess, but I'm wondering if someone at that point could still have gotten it by just the last name.
I'm guessing not, but with the (what seemed like a) long pause before Bess was ruled incorrect made me think maybe just "Truman" was on Alex's answer key.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012