Tuesday, April 18, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MILITARY INNOVATIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The U.S. Navy’s photonics mast has replaced this familiar device

Jamie Newland: 15200-801=14399 (2x = $29,899)
Kimberly Bond: 5400+5399=10799
Ani Gupta: 8000-7201=799

Correct response:
Spoiler
periscope (Jamie – antenna searchlight) (Ani – radar)

Daily Doubles
Ani: 3400+1000
Jamie: 4400-2000
Jamie: 8400+2000

Coryats
Jamie: 16000
Kimberly: 5400
Ani: 7800

Combined: 29,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex and his attempt at different voices for FROM THEIR INAUGURAL ADDRESSES helped me get more than one clue correct.

It was cool to learn that Ani's grandmother is this accomplished woman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhanu_Athaiya

The coach of the Lady Vols was a TS clue in the J! round, so when BASEBALL was revealed as a category in the DJ! round I predicted it would play last and not go well.

I was 50% correct as it was the 6th category played, but the gentlemen got 4/5 of the clues correct. Only NYY #4 was unknown with Kimberly guessing #7. Ani getting the 2K to close the round did give himself a chance for the FJ! round.

Yay, Kimberly got the clue right that mentioned the Kimberley in South Africa.

The players could have done better with their hoity-toity food and drinks as they did not know the 4-letter pirate drink or bird under the glass.

The FJ! clue got me on a missed triple Dawson Crossin' as I wrote semaphore, crossed it off for sonar, wrote the correct response and then went the wrong way sticking with choice number 2.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:18 am The FJ! clue got me on a missed triple Dawson Crossin' as I wrote semaphore, crossed it off for sonar, wrote the correct response and then went the wrong way sticking with choice number 2.
Disappointed that you chose not to use "Marktiple Choice" here.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The dictionary clue for $600 was wrong. The word for loyalty is "staunch", not "stanch".

====

WLT "sake" at $200? There are lots of fermented beverages.

NHO "Leaving Las Vegas", and the only thing I know about "Honeymoon in Vegas" is that its soundtrack includes Dwight Yoakam improving on what is already my favorite Elvis song ("Suspicious Minds").

Frank Sinatra song at $200? Must be "My Way", right? Wait, that's wrong? That's easily his most famous song and I can't think of anything else and oh crap time's up. I can see why that was a TS.

I recognized absolutely nothing in the Double Play category.

Ran the City category. Also got Lach Trash on pheasant and Grand Junction.

No guess on FJ!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Semaphore flag here on FJ. I never stopped to consider submarines.

On the "staunch / stanch" clue (I assume either pronunciation would have been accepted), I found this usage note, which confirmed the confusion I had felt when the clue came up:

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/stanch-and-staunch/

"Although the two spellings are often seen used interchangeably, recommended modern usage is to distinguish between them:
stanch: verb. to stop the flow of something, usually blood.
staunch: adjective. (of persons) strong, standing firm and true to one’s principles."

But that's only the recommended usage, so there's nothing wrong with the clue and I knew what they were going for. I probably would have given the "staunch" pronunciation if I had been up there.

I had not known that San Diego is considered the birthplace of CA, but it turns out the permanent Spanish settlement in the state was established there (a mission set up by Father Junipero Serra in 1769). Is this fact widely known outside of CA?

The clue asking for Sinatra's tombstone inscription seemed undervalued at $200. During the Regis era on WWTBAM, that was a high-value question (I can't remember the exact dollar value, but I feel like it was at least $500,000) -- and that was with multiple choice.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Poll request on the Sinatra clue then.
Prizes
Just Started Her First Lap in the Jeopardy! Pool!

Post by Prizes »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:42 pm The clue asking for Sinatra's tombstone inscription seemed undervalued at $200. During the Regis era on WWTBAM, that was a high-value question (I can't remember the exact dollar value, but I feel like it was at least $500,000) -- and that was with multiple choice.
I knew this only because of that question! Helps I love me some Old Blue Eyes as well. Cross show questions have always been to my benefit since I use them to study as well. But despite that, same thoughts as you and TPH(!)--I didn't think this would do terribly well for its valuation.

Ran baseball (one of my favorite topics!), Summitt was at least Lach Trash. Unfortunately, my Contour decided this would be a good night to throw up all over itself, so I haven't seen most of the game yet, will get a chance to later tonight. Did get Periscope a touch over halfway in, know that much, given the word 'photonics', knowing it had to do with visibility and light. From there, it was just knowing what kind of item the Navy would need to see out of, plus something iconic, given the word familiar, and voila!

Personally loved that Ani made Jamie actually force some money on FJ! following the correct response regarding sabermetrics for two grand.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I went with crow's nest. Oh well.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Only NYY #4 was unknown with Kimberly guessing #7.
That guess combined with the Kodak for Eastman gaffe probably cost Kimberly the game, if she had just stayed clam on those two clues. She needed $1800 more than her actual pre-FJ total to beat Jamie by a buck (or force a tie-breaker).

I precalled Kimberly not wagering properly to steal 2nd place money from Ani if he missed FJ, but it ended up not mattering since she had the sole get.

I reasoned out periscope with about 10 seconds to spare.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:18 am Alex and his attempt at different voices for FROM THEIR INAUGURAL ADDRESSES helped me get more than one clue correct.
Well, it at least helped on the last one. (That was pretty un-gettable without the accent)

I was half expecting something from Trump in there, as we've yet to see a J! clue about his presidency to the best of my knowledge. (I know, my fellow liberals, it's tempting, but no politically-charged barbs in response here.)
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:42 pm Semaphore flag here on FJ. I never stopped to consider submarines.

On the "staunch / stanch" clue (I assume either pronunciation would have been accepted), I found this usage note, which confirmed the confusion I had felt when the clue came up:

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/stanch-and-staunch/

"Although the two spellings are often seen used interchangeably, recommended modern usage is to distinguish between them:
stanch: verb. to stop the flow of something, usually blood.
staunch: adjective. (of persons) strong, standing firm and true to one’s principles."

But that's only the recommended usage, so there's nothing wrong with the clue and I knew what they were going for. I probably would have given the "staunch" pronunciation if I had been up there.
I was wondering about that too, I chalked it up to "accent"; I'm guessing there may have been a "stop play" on that.
Prizes wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:10 pm Ran baseball (one of my favorite topics!)
I bet you (and at least one other boardie I know who has an ultra-wheelhouse in baseball) loved the DJ! round.

Personally, sports is *not* my thing at all, so I was surprised that I managed to get all except the $1600 clue. (Clammed, NHO "triple crown" in a baseball context, but thought the pinning to "horse" was well-written once I heard the answer.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Almost had my second straight "hat trick" LT with roast pheasant under glass, but Ani didn't ring in with dove or something else wrong, dang it. FJ went with "compass" never thinking about submarines.

Alex giving vocal hints on the two presidential inaugural-address clues (FDR & Carter) but not the other three was weird. Never seen that before.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 pm
Personally, sports is *not* my thing at all, so I was surprised that I managed to get all except the $1600 clue. (Clammed, NHO "triple crown" in a baseball context, but thought the pinning to "horse" was well-written once I heard the answer.)
#6297, aired 2012-01-24 LET'S TAKE A "TRIP" $200: Since 1900, only 12 baseball players have won this by leading a major league in batting average, home runs & RBIs
#5825, aired 2010-01-01 RED SOX IT TO ME $800: With 44 homers, 121 RBIs & a .326 average, Carl Yastrzemski is the last baseball player to win this
#3473, aired 1999-10-13 SPORTS STARS $300: (Hi, I'm Bob Costas.) In 1956 this N.Y. Yankee became the only player ever to win baseball's Triple Crown while hitting more than 50 home runs

I'll do it this way instead of giving you your own education thread. ;)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Shortly before watching J! tonight, I watched one of the new episodes of "MST3K," this one featuring the film The Land That Time Forgot. Much of which takes place aboard a U-boat. And there are plenty of periscope jokes from Jonah and the 'bots.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 pm
I was half expecting something from Trump in there, as we've yet to see a J! clue about his presidency to the best of my knowledge. (I know, my fellow liberals, it's tempting, but no politically-charged barbs in response here.)
This show was taped within a week after inauguration, so other than the inaugural slogan that showed up on Friday (and was a triple stumper), probably won't be much yet regarding his presidency.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I went 50/50 on clues where I guessed Con-Air.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Photonics had me thinking radar, sonar, and getting nowhere.No way was I ever getting periscope.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:38 pm I went 50/50 on clues where I guessed Con-Air.
I had forgotten that Nic Cage was in Con Air, but after Ani's miss, and it fitting the next clue better, I figured it was well worth the shot.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

dhkendall wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Alex and his attempt at different voices for FROM THEIR INAUGURAL ADDRESSES helped me get more than one clue correct.
Well, it at least helped on the last one. (That was pretty un-gettable without the accent)
Maybe for you. I wouldn't have needed the accent, but I think it narrowed the choices down too much for a bottom row clue anyway.
Lousy Carter impersonation, BTW. I thought (bits of) his FDR were not far off.

Not related: I think Grand Rapids should be pavlov for Gerald Ford, and vise versa.

I NHO that city on Lake Erie that Ani guessed was the most populas in Ohio.