Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC U.S. LAWS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
By barring holding positions at competing firms, 1914’s Clayton Act plugged gaps in this law

Jamie Newland: 8800-8000=800
Emmett Robinson: 9800+7801=17601 (New Champ)
Diana Ascher: 13200-6401=6799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sherman Antitrust Act (Jamie – Anti-Trust Law) (Emmett – [he added “Hi Zeke!”]) (Diana – Conflict of Interest)

Daily Doubles
Emmett: 2200+2200
Diana: 6400+3000
Diana: 9400+3000

Coryats
Jamie: 8800
Emmett: 8600
Diana: 9600

Combined: 27,000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Emmett managed to survive two corrections of Alex during story time. First he had "Green-witch" for the Ohio city instead of "Gren-itch" and then he only observed the congressman, but did not work for him.

Emmett was 2/2 on the big clues he played while Diana was 2/3. Diana's 3K a pop on her DDs was more than some contestants would wager, so I had no doubt she would do the full and proper bet for the FJ! round. Jamie has plenty of company in leaving the show 0/3 in the FJ! round.

What else does Alex have for show and tell this week? Today he held up the pencil after the wood clue played.

Black Jeopardy! got a clue. Funny stuff.

I had the full and correct response for the FJ! round. Jamie's response was clearly wrong. I wanted one of the players to have the Sherman Act without the middle part in case that comes up for discussion among board member posts later.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 am
I had the full and correct response for the FJ! round. Jamie's response was clearly wrong. I wanted one of the players to have the Sherman Act without the middle part in case that comes up for discussion among board member posts later.
A google search turned up at least one reference to the "Sherman Act" in a Justice Department webpage, so I'd think it would have been accepted as a correct response.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Don't recognize the name Amy Poehler at all. Strangely, I got only the bottom two in that category.

I've only heard "God Bless America" about three times ever.

I hate "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" with a passion. Got the bottom two, NHO "Boy Meets World" or "About a Boy" to my knowledge, got $400.

There's Coriolanus again. That has to be one of Shakespeare's most obscure plays.

Pencil + blades = durrr, I dunno. I blame that on using almost nothing but mechanical pencils for the past 20 years.

WLT Queen Elizabeth II at $400?

I thought of Sherman Antitrust, but figured it couldn't possibly be right because why would it be something I actually know?
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Diana looks for and finds both pots of gold in DJ, sadly she had no clue what to do with them. Had she known, she would have engineered a runaway.

Odds that TPH got the 4th clue in Number Please? :D
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I'm curious as to whether most people here went with 'sect' or 'cult'.

I went with the former.

And I totally blanked on FJ! Couldn't get 'monopoly' out of my head.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Instant get FJ. I have never heard either act referred to without "antitrust" in the middle.

Congrats to Diana on the call and the strong showing!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:31 pm Diana looks for and finds both pots of gold in DJ, sadly she had no clue what to do with them. Had she known, she would have engineered a runaway.
C'mon, man. Don't you think it's at least a little bit quixotic to expect every single player to play the game like Roger Craig and Alex Jacob (literally the only two people in the history of the show who I'd have expected to behave how you expect above.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This was an FJ where it helped, or at least made it an instaget, to be a lawyer (not to mention one who has studied and practiced some antitrust). :) I had no doubt that Emmett would have a correct solve.

I'd be interested in a poll question to suss out who among the boardies who got tonight's FJ right has a law degree.

IMO, just "Sherman Act" is totally fine, as practitioners frequently refer to it that way -- and it's not like there are any other famous pieces of legislation bearing the Sherman name that would require disambiguation.

I was surprised to see "Country Boy" get BMS'd rather than outright negged. Has that situation ever come up before? I know you're allowed to give more than the song title if your response is in the lyrics.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Are there any Shakespeare plays that don't have five acts?
Thought the Zambia clue was horrible negbait. Who's not going to guess Zimbabwe?
easy peasy FJ. Who needs a law degree? This used to be taught in your basic American History class.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

DBear wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:31 pm Are there any Shakespeare plays that don't have five acts?
Thought the Zambia clue was horrible negbait. Who's not going to guess Zimbabwe?
I think all of the Bard's plays have 5 acts, which I think is how the writers expected you to know the number of acts in the particular play given in the clue.

Regarding Zambia, I figured that a country that has long been controlled by a dictator (Mugabe's Zimbabwe) was unlikely to be part of the Commonwealth.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 pm I was surprised to see "Country Boy" get BMS'd rather than outright negged. Has that situation ever come up before? I know you're allowed to give more than the song title if your response is in the lyrics.
I certainly don't recall instances of an under-full song title. In Final it's an outright neg, obviously, because they can not ask you to BMS. But in the main game, I don't recall the last time that happened.
Andy Saunders
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:11 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:31 pm Diana looks for and finds both pots of gold in DJ, sadly she had no clue what to do with them. Had she known, she would have engineered a runaway.
C'mon, man. Don't you think it's at least a little bit quixotic to expect every single player to play the game like Roger Craig and Alex Jacob (literally the only two people in the history of the show who I'd have expected to behave how you expect above.)
Arthur Chu as well, probably a small handful of others.

Regardless, it's a horrible game play leak that costs probably 100 contestants each season tons of money. If we agree on that then I don't see what's wrong with pointing out that blatant of an error. And honestly, it's a horrible error albeit one that not many recognize. If one gets the chance of a lifetime I believe one should be properly prepared and am saddened as well as peeved when they are not.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

My second "hat trick" triple-miss LT this week :D with halibut. A Monty Python sketch helped me get that one (Eric the Halibut).

Glad Alex stated that either cult or sect was acceptable in four-letter religious groups because I said the latter. Sherman Act would've been OK for FJ as that's what we called it in law school.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:36 pm
Regarding Zambia, I figured that a country that has long been controlled by a dictator (Mugabe's Zimbabwe) was unlikely to be part of the Commonwealth.
It was for a while, it just comes to a matter of who complains the loudest. Zimbabwe was suspended in 2002, but never kicked out, it withdrew voluntarily the next year. (As far as I can tell, no country has ever been kicked out, but several have quit before they were going to be fired, to borrow a phrase.)

In terms of dictatorships in, on the Democracy Index there are a few Commonwealth members with a lower ranking than Zimbabwe - at 140 out of 167, Swaziland is at 142, and voluntarily withdrawn Gambia, which is seeking to rejoin after a change in government, is at 143. Also Rwanda, another Commonwealth member nation is at 138. so, "dictatorship" isn't a bar to membership. (After all, North Korea joined the UN, an organization for "peace-loving states").
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

A quick search of the Federal Register finds Sherman Act 267 times and the full Sherman Antitrust Act only 33 times.
And there's good reason. Looking further, it turns out that the Act was formally named for its creator only in 1976 with the passage of the Hart–Scott–Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act.

SEC. 305. (a) The Act entitled "An Act to protect trade and com- 15 USC 1 note,
merce against unlawful restraints and monopolies", approved July 2,
1890 (15 U.S.C. 1 et seq.), is amended by adding immediately after
the enacting clause the following: "That this Act may be cited as
the'Sherman Act'.".

I briefly wondered if I could "get away" with Antitrust Act, then decided why even consider that response, since I knew it was the Sherman Act...I notice now that I wrote only Sherman Antitrust, and I'm accepting it!...and I presume Sherman Antitrust law would have been accepted as well.
Playing devil's advocate: Since there was no other US antitrust act before Sherman, and Sherman's name was not formally part of the law when it was passed, perhaps Jamie's response should have been accepted. They certainly would have had to accept "An Act to protect trade and commerce against unlawful restraints and monopolies" without the proper name, should some wiseass have come up with it.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

davey wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 pm A quick search of the Federal Register finds Sherman Act 267 times and the full Sherman Antitrust Act only 33 times.
And there's good reason. Looking further, it turns out that the Act was formally named for its creator only in 1976 with the passage of the Hart–Scott–Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act.

SEC. 305. (a) The Act entitled "An Act to protect trade and com- 15 USC 1 note,
merce against unlawful restraints and monopolies", approved July 2,
1890 (15 U.S.C. 1 et seq.), is amended by adding immediately after
the enacting clause the following: "That this Act may be cited as
the'Sherman Act'.".

I briefly wondered if I could "get away" with Antitrust Act, then decided why even consider that response, since I knew it was the Sherman Act...I notice now that I wrote only Sherman Antitrust, and I'm accepting it!...and I presume Sherman Antitrust law would have been accepted as well.
Playing devil's advocate: Since there was no other US antitrust act before Sherman, and Sherman's name was not formally part of the law when it was passed, perhaps Jamie's response should have been accepted. They certainly would have had to accept "An Act to protect trade and commerce against unlawful restraints and monopolies" without the proper name, should some wiseass have come up with it.
I don't know what the purpose of that amendment was (and a companion subsection says that the statutory section that constitutes the Clayton Act may be cited as the Clayton Act). But a quick Westlaw search finds literally hundreds of cases in the Supreme Court alone, pre-1976 -- and dating back to 1902, over a decade prior to passage of the Clayton Act -- that identify the staute as the "Sherman Act," the "Sherman Anti-Trust Act," and the like (and they don't say things like "the statute commonly known as . . ."). There would obviously be many more such judicial decisions in the lower courts. I don't think Jamie has a case.

(And TBH it would have made no sense for the Sherman Act to have been called "the Anti-Trust Act" until 1976, by which time there were also the Clayton Act and the Robinson-Patman Act.)
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:07 pm Arthur Chu as well, probably a small handful of others.

Regardless, it's a horrible game play leak that costs probably 100 contestants each season tons of money. If we agree on that then I don't see what's wrong with pointing out that blatant of an error. And honestly, it's a horrible error albeit one that not many recognize. If one gets the chance of a lifetime I believe one should be properly prepared and am saddened as well as peeved when they are not.
I still believe my use of the term "quixotic" is apt.
Andy Saunders