Thursday, April 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Thursday, April 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

9021amyers wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:46 pm I was expecting a pedantic user to have already said something along the lines of, "it obviously wasn't going to be Amy Adams, because alliteration doesn't count with vowel sounds."
Back on 29 Feb 2016 a clue referred to affirmative action as "this alliterative system." I'm sure there are other examples. For J! purposes, vowel sounds alliterate with themselves. In Anglo Saxon alliterative verse (e.g. Beowulf) the rules are even looser. All vowels alliterate together. Under those rules, Aaron Eckhart would be an alliterative actor.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:02 pm
immaf wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 pm I was proud of myself for thinking of Amy Adams. Ooops.
I would have been, too. Total brain freeze on both Amy Adams and Melissa McCarthy. The only alliterative actress name I could think of was Susan Sarandon, while knowing it was incorrect.
The only alliterative actress name I could think of was Lindsay Lohan, while knowing it was incorrect.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Kenny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Kenny »

I only know McCarthy via SNL, so I wouldn't have gotten this FJ if you gave me 30 minutes.

Bible is in my wheelhouse but that bottom clue was YEKIOYD (Paul's letter to Romans). Still went 4/5 though. Ruth is mentioned in Matthew's genealogy ofJesus (tracing his lineage back to David) so that was instaget.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I couldn't even come up with an alliteratively named actress within the 30 seconds, let alone one who could have plausibly been the second highest-earner.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Another Amy Adams. Truly useless FJ clue IMHO. When thoughtful persons watch this show we hope to learn something, not just be stumped by useless trivia. OTH: Get on "For the World is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky" a Trek episode in which a lost race of spacefarers marooned inside an asteroid have a fake sky painted on the 'ceiling' of their tiny world and the penalty for mountain climbing is death... title line spoken by old man met by landing party who on his deathbed says he touched the sky, so he knows the world is hollow. Wayy cool and thought-provoking story, UNLIKE THIS FJ! :x If the show doesn't reform soon it's losing traditional viewers. IMHO content has become pretty dull and tediously silly. Come on, more stupid logos?! Again with the Pop music lyrics? Enough already! If TPTB read this take heed! :shock: 42R; LT: Trek, flagrant/fragrant.

BTW another irritation tonight: Yesinia pestis is the plague bacillus, **SHOCK***@ ACC: bacterium, waiting for the BMS! Come on, already! :evil:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Kenny wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 pm I only know McCarthy via SNL, so I wouldn't have gotten this FJ if you gave me 30 minutes.

Bible is in my wheelhouse but that bottom clue was YEKIOYD (Paul's letter to Romans). Still went 4/5 though. Ruth is mentioned in Matthew's genealogy ofJesus (tracing his lineage back to David) so that was instaget.
NHO Amy Adams, either. Only know MM from Mike & Molly
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

goatman wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 pm BTW another irritation tonight: Yesinia pestis is the plague bacillus, **SHOCK***@ ACC: bacterium, waiting for the BMS! Come on, already! :evil:
Actually yersinia pestis is a coccobacillus -- but ,like the term "bacillus," that' classification basically just describes the shape of the bacterium. (Bacillus is rod-shaped, coccus is spherical, and coccobacillus is somewhere in between those other two.) What in the wording of the clue required a response with that level of specificity? I mean, I'm sure they would have accepted coccobacillus, but I don't see why they should have insisted on it. Bubonic plague is widely described as a bacterial infection, not a coccobacillic infection.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:02 pm
immaf wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 pm I was proud of myself for thinking of Amy Adams. Ooops.
I would have been, too. Total brain freeze on both Amy Adams and Melissa McCarthy. The only alliterative actress name I could think of was Susan Sarandon, while knowing it was incorrect.

S Sarandon was all I could come up with. She is in that FX series but I'm not sure she's in movies much anymore. My first FJ miss in about 3 weeks. I never thought M McCarthy was very funny anyway.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The only person whom I could of for FJ was Sharon Stone, but I knew that she couldn't be right. Melissa McCarthy's name rang a bell and I recognized her when I Googled her, but before that I honestly wouldn't have been able to pick her out of a lineup or identify anything that she has been in.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Those corporate logos were ridiculously overvalued. MasterCard at 800? Are you kidding me? I ran that category with eye rolls on each clue.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:49 pm NHO Amy Adams, either.
You need to watch some movies. (She's one of my favorite actors.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 pm
MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:49 pm NHO Amy Adams, either.
You need to watch some movies. (She's one of my favorite actors.)
Yep, looks exactly like 847,000 other actresses. Don't recognize anything in her filmography either.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

goatman wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 pm Yesinia pestis is the plague bacillus, **SHOCK***@ ACC: bacterium, waiting for the BMS! Come on, already! :evil:
I guessed flea. Pestis seemed like a good species name for a flea.

I went with Amy Adams.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Only thing that came to me was Gal Godot, the new Wonder Woman, but I'm guessing she didn't get paid for this year's anticipated blockbusters last year.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:28 pmWho the hell is Melissa McCarthy?
Somebody who is way overexposed and, per FJ tonight, way overpaid.

(Can you tell I am not a fan? :P )

And no, I didn't get Ms. McCarthy...I wish I had come up with Amy Adams or Lindsey Lohan just to remotely have a guess. This is shaping up to be such a wonderful week for moi at 0/4 on FJ... :oops:

Ran Corporate Logos (I believe I would have breezed through this category every bit as well without the easy-peasy pictures), Black, and Psychology; and almost ran Europe (got scandalized by Bohemia...and really should have gotten that knowing Bohemia was Eastern European) and Great Rock Songs (got bit by "Dog Days Are Over"). Also got the Julia Child DD and the fragrant/flagrant and Star Trek LT.

Wish they had revealed the $1600 clue in On "Line"...was really hoping to see What's My Line? come up somewhere in that category, dadgummit.

*runs away from the angry mob of Melissa McCarthy fans, complete with "Yakkity Sax" playing in the background*
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I would have never come up with Melissa McCarthy, but I think she's funny as hell and I'm glad to hear she's raking in the bucks. On an interesting trivia side note Melissa and Jenny McCarthy are cousins.

I had nothing. Wife came up with Keira Knightley.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:22 pm I had nothing. Wife came up with Keira Knightley.
I don't think she counts as "alliterative", though.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:22 pm I had nothing. Wife came up with Keira Knightley.
Pretty sure that's not alliterative.

MM popped into my head as an example of an alliterative name but I thought "no way she could be number two". Couldn't come up with anyone else so went with her anyways and was shocked at the reveal.
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

Had Amy Adams for FJ. I had no idea that Sookie was that high on the list.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Good bet by Nilanka in FJ. Locked out third and stayed ahead of 1st in the case of a mutual miss.

To my shock, I ran Corporate Logos, despite how mediocre I am at it.

LT: Star Trek

FJ: Even though it's a strong category, I missed on this. Ran through the names of at least a dozen famous actresses in my head, and the only one that was alliterative was Amy Adams.

I knew it was wrong, but went with it, anyways. Honestly, even if I had thought of Melissa McCarthy, I doubt I would have picked her.

Knowing how actor salaries work, and how much it changes from year to year based on what big-budget remakes and sequels they've starred in, versus how many indie/passion projects they were in, I'm not a fan of the clue.