Monday, April 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. PRESIDENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Though he graduated from high school in 1901 & later graduated to the presidency, he never graduated from college

David Rigsby: 3800+3000=6800
Emma Florio: 11800-4000=7800
Alan Lin: 27600-3600=24000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Harry Truman (Emma – Hoo) (Alan – Eisenhower)

Daily Doubles
Emma: 5000+2000
Alan: 9200+5000
Alan: 22600+3000

Coryats
David: 3800
Emma: 10400
Alan: 21600

Combined: 35,800

Galapagos Great Escape: Tortoise
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MUSICIANS WHO DIED AT 27 was 3/5 for me in precalls and getting clues right as I had the predictable Cobain, Winehouse and Joplin. I was a touch to slow to recall the Rolling Stones guy and Chris Bell rang no bells for me. It was not until playing the J!6 that the expected Morrison came up and Jimi Hendrix was only there as a wrong answer.

Alan Lin is a software engineer. Yeah, you gotta watch out for those guys on J! If Alan were to sweep the week then TOC history could have both an Al Lin and an Alan Lin.

The DJ! round scores for clue 30 were: 3800 to 11800 to 27600
I was rooting for Emma to get it right to set up the interesting 13800 to 27600 scenario for the FJ! round. Nope, clam city all around.

The FJ! clue was one were I only wrote the right guy going off what I thought was fairly well known presidential trivia and spent the music checking my work. I did the math to work out the likely birth year and whether inauguration year and death year ages worked out for the name. Everything said yes and unfortunately for David his sole solve gained him nothing other than a J! kind of Pyrrhic victory.

I'll put the Galapagos Great Escape word in theFJguy post each day unless I read some reasonable objection not to do that. Someone who is hopeful of winning the trip and does not want any extra help given to competitors will be objection overruled.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How the hell was Coffee a stand and stare?

3/5 in squid. Completely missed "market" because I constantly mix up "found before" and "found after", and couldn't pull cartilage in time.

Ran "It".

WLT Shelley at $400?

Was too slow on "Ocean State" to run License Plates.

Omerta was a HUGE difficulty spike in "O" and my only miss in the category.

I thought "Big Star" was a very obscure pick. They've never had a charted single, and none of their members seem to be individually notable.

Thought that Truman was the last president not to graduate college, but 1901 seemed way too early to fit him.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Not crazy about the Brazil export clue with the word "brew" in it. Coffee bean <> coffee. (Unless of course, they are literally exporting already-brewed coffee...)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Maybe it's just the 104 degree fever I've had the past few days talking, but did Alan and Emma remind anyone else of Matt Jackson and Laura Varriale?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I missed one clue trying to fit the word it into the word dressing.

Hoover was a plausible guess as that would have made him around 45 when he became president had that been him. But Eisenhower struck me as a particularly bad guess. An instaguess for me as I spent most of the time trying to justify the years as I was certain he never graduated college.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

If I've been to the Galapagos Islands with Alex, do you think they'd still let me become a contestant?

Truman was the only possible answer for FJ. The only other born at the right time to have graduated in 1901 was Franklin Roosevelt, and I think everyone knows about his education. Hoover was born in 1874, making him too old to have graduated high school in 1901, and Eisenhower was born in 1890 comma making him too young to have graduated high school in 1901. And that's only if you're unaware of him graduating from West Point and becoming a general.

How many presidents have last names starting with TRUM?

Way down among Brazilians, coffee beans grow by the billions, so they've got to find those extra cups to fill. They've got an awful lot of coffee in Brazil.

You can't have cherry soda, cuz they've got to fill their quota, and the way things are they probably never will. They've got an awful lot of coffee in Brazil.

No tea or tomato juice. You'll find no potato juice. Cuz the growers down in Santos all say no no no.

A politician's daughter was accused of drinking water and was fined a great big $50 bill. They've got an awful lot of coffee in Brazil.

There's a second verse but I can't remember it all. It includes the line "they put coffee in the coffee in Brazil."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Worked this out in plenty good time. 44R. LT: NH3 = Ammonia; declare war on Germany in 1942 (!); coffee; GEM paper clips.

Alan... wow, owned these boards. Strong new champ... looks like the one to beat! :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was puzzled by the use of lowercase in the New Hampshire clue. Here's how it looked:

in an all or
nothing move,
THIS STATE
INVITES YOU TO
"LIVE FREE OR DIE"

Minor screwup or was there a reason?
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Precalled Morrison, Joplin and Hendrix for dead at 27 musicians, so that's 1/3, but I also got Cobain & Winehouse. NHO that bottom box, Chris Bell.

WTF? Alan was dominant throughout yet guessed notable West Point grad in FJ. I had no guess.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Kenny wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:15 pm WTF? Alan was dominant throughout yet guessed notable West Point grad in FJ. I had no guess.
So your response was even worse than Alan's. That's impressive! :D

(No disrespect to Alan who, I think, can afford to laugh about a minor hiccup at the end of a terrific performance. Engineering a shutout against a second place contestant who racked up $11800 is seriously impressive.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Brilliant play by Alan to intentionally leave off "what is" in front of "beat Germany". Clearly he knew that was incorrect but he baited Emma into negging right along with him, moving him into a lock position, which he maintained at the end of the game by exactly $2000! This strategy has been suggested and discussed on this board a few times before, but this may be the first time it's actually come to pass at such a crucial juncture of a game.

That Brazil/Germany clue...woof.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Instaget FJ. Like Mark, I checked the math just to make sure, but it was definitely a fact I was familiar with.

A most impressive performance by Alan. He was both dominant on the buzzer and had some great gets.

I was a little surprised that someone with his breadth of knowledge didn't know that tidibit about Truman. Also, not only would a guy like Ike had to have gone to West Point, but if he graduated from high school at the normal age, then if he graduated in 1901, he would have been 69 years old when first elected POTUS (and 73 years old when elected to his second term), and no POTUS was ever that old until Reagan came along (although WH Harrison came close). But anyway, we all have holes in our knowledge, and having a lock with $27,600 is a good way to make FJ irrelevant. And for all we know, maybe he knew the
Spoiler
Melissa McCarthy
clue last week. :D
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:33 pmAlso, not only would a guy like Ike had to have gone to West Point, but if he graduated from high school at the normal age, then if he graduated in 1901, he would have been 69 years old when first elected POTUS (and 73 years old when elected to his second term), and no POTUS was ever that old until Reagan came along (although WH Harrison came close). But anyway, having a lock with $27,600 is a good way to make FJ irrelevant.
It's a little known fact that, adjusting for inflation, William Henry Harrison was actually the oldest man ever elected president.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

FJ took me halfway through the music, but something told me as I ran through my early half 20th century presidents "Go with Harry S. Truman!", so I did. Glad I listened! :D

Ran Cut It Out and Musicians Who Died At 27 (including the Brian Jones and Big Star LT) and almost ran States And License Plates (got waterlogged by 'The Ocean State') and Brazil, Brazil (no, I'm afraid that 'declaring war on Germany' didn't occur to me either, but got the Piranhas DD and the coffee really-should-not-have-been-LT). Also got the other two DDs (mouse trap and Brat Pack).
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:50 pmI thought "Big Star" was a very obscure pick. They've never had a charted single, and none of their members seem to be individually notable.
As noted above, I got Big Star...but I've always thought/felt that The Boxtops were and will always be far and away at least the somewhat better known of Alex Chilton's bands. And most particularly thanks to having quite the late 60s hit in the "The Letter". They also had a minor hit with "Cry Like A Baby"...but "The Letter" would and should be considered their best known, right down to Joe Cocker having a small hit with a cover of it.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Maven wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:18 pm As noted above, I got Big Star...but I've always thought/felt that The Boxtops were and will always be far and away at least the somewhat better known of Alex Chilton's bands. And most particularly thanks to having quite the late 60s hit in the "The Letter". They also had a minor hit with "Cry Like A Baby"...but "The Letter" would and should be considered their best known, right down to Joe Cocker having a small hit with a cover of it.
I know "The Letter" mainly because of the parody "Vanna, Pick Me a Letter". I actually heard "The Letter" in a grocery store once and started singing (some of the more SFW lines from) "Vanna, Pick Me a Letter".
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

It's been said of Big Star that they didn't have many fans -- but every fan they did have ended up starting their own band.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:33 pm
we all have holes in our knowledge, and having a lock with $27,600 is a good way to make FJ irrelevant.
There were a number of paths to the right answer. "Graduated to the presidency" suggests a VP who succeeded, perhaps upon the president's death.
I'm smart and I want respect.