Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

quarterrican wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:11 am Also got to pat myself on the back for getting Memphis right in JI: Maps when it only had a 4% get rate across the league.
Nice job. I got as far as figuring out it was looking for Broadway musicals, but the best I could come up with was "Chicago."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:38 am
quarterrican wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:11 am Also got to pat myself on the back for getting Memphis right in JI: Maps when it only had a 4% get rate across the league.
Nice job. I got as far as figuring out it was looking for Broadway musicals, but the best I could come up with was "Chicago."
Exactly the same here. NHO the Memphis musical
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I was pretty proud of myself for realizing the question was asking for a musical, but I've never heard of Memphis.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I shot myself in the foot in the Maps championship yesterday by moneying two questions I got wrong (7 and 8). For question 7 I immediately thought "it must be the guy who wrote Twelve Years a Slave" and then was very proud of myself for finally coming up with his name, Solomon Northup. For 8 I thought for sure it would be Tuvalu, .tv. I can't say I've ever really noticed a .tk internet domain, but turns out it is more popular than the next two country codes combined. 91% missed that one, so seems like it's a pretty obscure fact.

I finished third in my group for the 20th Century Lit ML. I'm sort of glad after looking at the championship questions. If I got two of those correct it would have been an achievement!
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

12 Years a Slave was already represented on MD7Q2.

I had the same thought on .tv, but it seemed that there already was a (blurry) .tv just to the left. Didn't help me in figuring out what else it could be, though...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:02 am I shot myself in the foot in the Maps championship yesterday by moneying two questions I got wrong (7 and 8). For question 7 I immediately thought "it must be the guy who wrote Twelve Years a Slave" and then was very proud of myself for finally coming up with his name, Solomon Northup. For 8 I thought for sure it would be Tuvalu, .tv. I can't say I've ever really noticed a .tk internet domain, but turns out it is more popular than the next two country codes combined. 91% missed that one, so seems like it's a pretty obscure fact.

I finished third in my group for the 20th Century Lit ML. I'm sort of glad after looking at the championship questions. If I got two of those correct it would have been an achievement!
You managed to nip me by 10 points in that Maps final, Kirk, but did so by getting 2 more questions correct than me. Said Phileas Fogg for Nellie Bly (why only 72 days? :oops: ) but managed to get the .tk question thanks to an article I read a few months ago about its disproportionate presence on the Internet. I also said for Philistines for Assassins and stupidly put Alexander II rather than Nicholas II :oops: :oops: I would have had you by 5 points were it not for that brain cramp.

Despite my doing better in the 20th C Lit regular season, the Championship kicked my rear end. I was so sure that Q1 was The Satanic Verses (curses, Vikram Seth!) that I moneyed it, costing me a whopping 18 points. Still, finishing within shouting distance of RutterB ain't too shabby.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

goforthetie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:46 pm 12 Years a Slave was already represented on MD7Q2.
I knew I'd seen it recently, but didn't bother to see if it was in this mini league or not.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:40 pm
goforthetie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:46 pm 12 Years a Slave was already represented on MD7Q2.
I knew I'd seen it recently, but didn't bother to see if it was in this mini league or not.
This brought up an interesting question in my mind, even if you wanted to, I don't think it would be legal to look back and see if something has come up in this league. You're not allowed to use the LL website for finding answers to questions, only for defensive purposes.

Obviously this is an odd case because you're not looking up a specific fact, you'd be simply looking to see if the person was already referenced by a prior question, but all the same you would be using the previous questions in this league to help decide what you were going to answer today, and I think that is not allowed as the rules are written.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:08 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:40 pm
This brought up an interesting question in my mind, even if you wanted to, I don't think it would be legal to look back and see if something has come up in this league. You're not allowed to use the LL website for finding answers to questions, only for defensive purposes.

Obviously this is an odd case because you're not looking up a specific fact, you'd be simply looking to see if the person was already referenced by a prior question, but all the same you would be using the previous questions in this league to help decide what you were going to answer today, and I think that is not allowed as the rules are written.
Agreed. By the letter of the law it's not allowed. I may not have missed that question had I gone back and looked at previous match days, but that would have been cheating, even if it's pretty mild cheating.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I had a real rookie mistake on the "Missing Members" one day. I moneyed Q12 and got it correct, but missed the part about "full name required." That means I left 71 points on the table and a top 20 finish. Had I gotten that one correct I would have only missed Q2. I knew it was someone in the Eagles, but I said Don Felder rather than Bernie Leadon.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:54 am I had a real rookie mistake on the "Missing Members" one day. I moneyed Q12 and got it correct, but missed the part about "full name required." That means I left 71 points on the table and a top 20 finish. Had I gotten that one correct I would have only missed Q2. I knew it was someone in the Eagles, but I said Don Felder rather than Bernie Leadon.
FWIW, it didn't require middle. First and last were sufficient.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:48 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:54 am I had a real rookie mistake on the "Missing Members" one day. I moneyed Q12 and got it correct, but missed the part about "full name required." That means I left 71 points on the table and a top 20 finish. Had I gotten that one correct I would have only missed Q2. I knew it was someone in the Eagles, but I said Don Felder rather than Bernie Leadon.
FWIW, it didn't require middle. First and last were sufficient.
I'm not exactly sure why the smith required the full name, anyway. It seems like if you remembered Bobbitt you'd also remember the John Wayne.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The One Day topics are getting pretty obscure. Hate to pull a TPH here, but I can't say I've ever heard of either Nathan For You or Tom Chapin!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm The One Day topics are getting pretty obscure. Hate to pull a TPH here, but I can't say I've ever heard of either Nathan For You or Tom Chapin!
I know two things about Tom Chapin, though I don't know how far that would have got me on this quiz. A: Harry's brother, and B: hosted "Make a Wish", a Sunday noonish show in the mid-1970s, in which he sang and played guitar or banjo. "Take a chance, sing and dance, wish you could, you'd find it good. So dream a dream, dreams come true, they can even work for you. So make a wish".
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lefty wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:15 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm The One Day topics are getting pretty obscure. Hate to pull a TPH here, but I can't say I've ever heard of either Nathan For You or Tom Chapin!
I know two things about Tom Chapin, though I don't know how far that would have got me on this quiz. A: Harry's brother, and B: hosted "Make a Wish", a Sunday noonish show in the mid-1970s, in which he sang and played guitar or banjo. "Take a chance, sing and dance, wish you could, you'd find it good. So dream a dream, dreams come true, they can even work for you. So make a wish".
I decided to go for the Completist Cup this year, so I am entering every single quiz. I have been reduced to typing random letters and having a lot of zero percentile finishes.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I couldn't agree more. I was looking ahead to the next month's worth of topics and a hard time finding nding more than 2 that I felt worth entering. I have nothing against topics that I'm not expert in, but far too many seem too obscure to me to even attempt.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

And to think that the commissioner rejected my 1DS proposals of "Initials to Roman Numerals to Numbers:Sport" and "Kings Named Haakon: 25 years later" which would've also included other Scandinavian royalty figures because 12 clues about the Haakons would be way too obscure. Those two would probably have had more success than some of the recent topics.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

"Nathan for You" got some notoriety a couple years back for its "Dumb Starbucks" effort.

(I've watched every episode, but only got 7/12 in the 1DS.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 pm
I couldn't agree more. I was looking ahead to the next month's worth of topics and a hard time finding nding more than 2 that I felt worth entering. I have nothing against topics that I'm not expert in, but far too many seem too obscure to me to even attempt.
I did Computer RPG's last week and NewsRadio today. That's the extent of my 1DS's for the off season.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I messaged Thorsten about this, but haven't heard back from him yet (and it's been about 2 weeks). My membership dues are up at the end of this offseason. I'm thinking, due to several factors regarding my upcoming move back to the States, that I should sit out LL73. What is the normal protocol on that? Just don't pay, and then pay starting the season after? Or pay, then message Thorsten and say that I'm not going to be participating? Any advice will be welcomed. I know I'll miss LL, as it will provide me some sanity / consistency throughout the end of my time here, but with my flight being towards the end of the season, I'll be spending so much time wrapping things up here / flying / recovering from jet lag / other things I'd be afraid I'd accidentally forfeit several times; however, I definitely plan to be back for more in LL74!