The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:53 pmAlso, having some personal issues with the mother that I sadly still live with. What a hateful, toxic, narrow minded, unsymapthetic person she is.
Ugh! Hang in there man.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:54 pm In case anyone's wondering where I've been lately, I left for Texas on Wednesday night and just got back this morning. I also had to work today so I haven't had time to binge just yet.

It's not as big a deal if I watch Wheel out of order since there're no champions, but I still need help getting Thursday's and Friday's episodes of both J! and Wheel thanks to March Madness.
I thought you might have been taking our advice of reading and learning rather than asking something that could easily be looked up.

Regardless, genuinely glad you're back. Place isn't the same without you.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

WLT Nike at $200? That was at best a 1 in 3 vs. Reebok or Adidas.

Parliament is a band? That was my only miss in the category.
Phil Knight is the founder of Nike. (His name has 12 hits in the archive - one from one of my games.) Really, the only other sneaker company founder they expect you to know is Adi Dassler of Adidas, but they've never asked for his name, only the company (and his name is ADI DASsler, so that's fairly easy to remember).

Parliament (and its sister band, Funkadelic) were 70s funk bands founded by George Clinton (also the name of an early vice president - the show has made that connection a few times in the past). Their two biggest hits were "Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker)" and "Flash Light", seminal tracks in the funk oeuvre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBWH3OWfT2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ZGNGBNIL8
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:09 pmPhil Knight is the founder of Nike. (His name has 12 hits in the archive - one from one of my games.) Really, the only other sneaker company founder they expect you to know is Adi Dassler of Adidas, but they've never asked for his name, only the company (and his name is ADI DASsler, so that's fairly easy to remember).
There are still tons of other shoe brands out there. Is this one of those "Occam's razor" things? Because we know damn well how that always backfires on me.

teapot37 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:09 pmParliament (and its sister band, Funkadelic) were 70s funk bands founded by George Clinton (also the name of an early vice president - the show has made that connection a few times in the past). Their two biggest hits were "Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker)" and "Flash Light", seminal tracks in the funk oeuvre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBWH3OWfT2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ZGNGBNIL8

Somehow I've heard of Funkadelic but not Parliament to my knowledge.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 pmWLT Islam at $400?
Crescent and star is *the* symbol of Islam, like the star of David (the other revealed flags clue) for Judaism or the cross for Christianity. Hopefully this will stick with you because having this knowledge *will* benefit you in the future.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:40 pm
teapot37 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:09 pmPhil Knight is the founder of Nike. (His name has 12 hits in the archive - one from one of my games.) Really, the only other sneaker company founder they expect you to know is Adi Dassler of Adidas, but they've never asked for his name, only the company (and his name is ADI DASsler, so that's fairly easy to remember).
There are still tons of other shoe brands out there. Is this one of those "Occam's razor" things? Because we know damn well how that always backfires on me.
Jeopardy expects you to know the name of only one sneaker company founder - Phil Knight of Nike. They may occasionally go Adi Dassler -> Adidas but never the other way around. This is not to say they don't ask about other shoe company founders (Salvatore Ferragamo, Jimmy Choo, Christian Louboutin) but those guys all do women's dress shoes.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Wednesday March 29 Final Jeopardy

Post by Category 13 »

Hammer, next time you have an evening or day when the weather is going to keep you from going anywhere, or you just want to watch a good movie,
do yourself a favor and Netflix the movie The Right Stuff. It clocks in at around three hours, but it is so engrossing you won't notice.
Besides being a really great movie, you won't miss any more Alan Shepard or John Glenn clues on J!.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:27 pm NHO Owen Wilson that I recall.
Here is the trailer for Shanghai Noon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU-WAJpAk1M

He has been in a ton of movies.

His brother Luke Wilson is also famous. Here is the trailer for Idiocracy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk

Everybody should go watch Idiocracy.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:36 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:29 pm Knowing where the Marshall Islands are. It's no biggie if you don't happen to know it, but having a basic idea of where each of the countries of the world is located is pretty standard J! knowledge.
And "Marshall Islands" are famous enough for the top box, even though no other clue has asked for where they are before?

I suppose some obscure country nobody's heard of like Gabon is also top box?
Are they asking what continent Gabon is a part of? Then YES it's top row material.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bump.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is just the FJ! round clues with one being from S33:

#7357, aired 2016-09-13 19th CENTURY MILITARY MEN: In 1895 he wrote to his family that with "superhuman strength" he would "discover the truth... on the tragic affair"
#7114, aired 2015-07-16 EUROPEAN NOVELISTS: Alfred Dreyfus was among the thousands who marched through the streets of Paris in his 1902 funeral procession
#5600, aired 2009-01-02 EUROPEAN HISTORY: On April 13, 1895 he entered the Devils Island penal colony to serve a life sentence, but he was out by 1899
#4578, aired 2004-06-30 HISTORIC NAMES: In 1899 he was released from Devil's Island & pardoned for "treason under extenuating circumstances"

If I expanded the search to include J! and DJ! round clues it's a lot more. The J! writers go to this well often.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Happy reading. You'll have a chance at all of them again.
Spoiler

#7277, aired 2016-04-12 POET-TREE $800: In "Birches", this New England poet wrote that he'd like to "climb black branches up a snow-white trunk toward heaven"
#7041, aired 2015-04-06 POETS' MONIKERS $800: "The Voice of New England" (born in San Francisco)
#6252, aired 2011-11-22 WHERE YA FROM? $800: This poet who depicted the rural landscape of New England was born in San Francisco in 1874
#5479, aired 2008-06-05 SIX FEET UNDER $1200: New Englander whose epitaph, "I had a lover's quarrel with the world", is from his poem "The Lesson For Today"
#5122, aired 2006-12-12 POETS & POETRY $400: Though born in San Francisco, he is best known for his verse dealing with New England life, as in "North of Boston"
#3800, aired 2001-02-23 LITERATURE $200: This quintessential New Englander published his first book of poems, "A Boy's Will", while living in England in 1913
#3354, aired 1999-03-18 POET-TREE $300: "So was I once myself a swinger of birches; and so I dream of going back to be", wrote this New England poet
#3224, aired 1998-09-17 OLD FARMERS $400: In 1912 he sold his Derry farm (Derry, New Hampshire) & moved to England to write poetry
#2937, aired 1997-05-13 POETS & POETRY $800: You might read this New Englander's blank verse play "A Masque of Reason" "On A Snowy Evening"
#1320, aired 1990-05-04 EPITAPHS $800: This New Englander's "I had a lover's quarrel with the world" is from his poem "The Lesson For Today"

#6943, aired 2014-11-19 "J" MOVIES $800: 1979: Steve Martin is "born a poor black child"
#4111, aired 2002-06-17 MALTIN ON THE MOVIES $400: Steve Martin's first starring feature, Maltin describes it as "The misadventures of a terminally stupid man"
#3023, aired 1997-10-22 MOVIE QUOTES $300: In "The Jerk" he said, "I slit the sheet. The sheet I slit. And on the slitted sheet I sit"
#2878, aired 1997-02-19 ACTOR-PLAYWRIGHTS $400: This movie "Jerk" won 2 Outer Critics Circle Awards for his 1995 play "Picasso at the Lapin Agile"
#1147, aired 1989-09-05 STEVES, STEVIES & STEPHENS $200: Well, excuse me! He was Navin Johnson in "The JerK', but not its sequel, "The Jerk, Too"

and from yesterday:

#7297, aired 2016-05-10 LITERARY POTPOURRI $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Lake Geneva in Switzerland.) Lake Geneva has long been a place of literary pilgrimage; this writer called it "blue as the heavens" when she lived here with her poet husband, who almost drowned one night on the lake & did drown in Italy a few years later
#7219, aired 2016-01-21 MY NAME IS PERCY $400: This poet had a yacht named for Don Juan; sadly, he drowned when the yacht sank
#7135, aired 2015-09-25 HAIKU ABOUT THE POET $400: "Queen Mab" was so fab / Was the groom of Frankenstein / Not waving, drowning
#6962, aired 2014-12-16 HISTORICAL FICTION $1600: Elinor Wylie's "The Orphan Angel" imagines this poet not drowning & coming to America
#6828, aired 2014-04-30 HOW THEY DIED $600: 1822: Percy Shelley
#5993, aired 2010-10-06 YOU'VE GOT SHE MAIL $2000: She wrote in 1822 of her husband's drowning, "Adonais is not Keats's it is his own elegy"
#5176, aired 2007-02-26 LITERARY LONDON $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew seeks a clue in Hyde Park, London.) This poet's first wife, Harriet, drowned herself in the Serpentine Lake in early December 1816; by New Years he'd married Mary
#4915, aired 2006-01-13 19th CENTURY NAMES $800: After this British poet drowned off Italy in 1822, his friend E.J. Trelawny kept his heart
#3570, aired 2000-02-25 HISTORICAL NOVELS $800: "The Orphan Angel" depicts what might have happened to this romantic poet if he'd been rescued from drowning
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TPH, before you ask in the daily thread (and please try to use this thread for questions you may have about the game clues instead of the daily one, please!)
Spoiler
The inventor of the Rubik's Cube is Hungarian, somewhat famously so. That's how you are led to the correct answer for Final

ETA: I (econgator) spoilerized this because, while the thread is marked as spoiler, at the time you posted it, most people had yet to see the episode.

spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

wrote:Didn't recognize anything in Sports. Ryan Lochte is $200 box huh?
WLT Hurricanes at $200?
Yes, Lochte is $200-level. If there were a $10 level, that clue would be there.

NOAA is the governmental agency for meteorology/climatology; what in meteorology gets names that get retired? Before you mention anything about the names themselves, whichever names they would have chosen as examples were irrelevant.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

spell4yr wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:33 am
wrote:Didn't recognize anything in Sports. Ryan Lochte is $200 box huh?
WLT Hurricanes at $200?
Yes, Lochte is $200-level. If there were a $10 level, that clue would be there.

NOAA is the governmental agency for meteorology/climatology; what in meteorology gets names that get retired? Before you mention anything about the names themselves, whichever names they would have chosen as examples were irrelevant.
... and since this an "Education" thread, we should probably specify for TPH that NOAA stands for "National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration," the parent organization of the U.S. National Weather Service.

http://www.weather.gov/about
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Re: The Official TPH & DHK Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

FIRST & "TEN" $200: Its origins trace to a medieval French game called jeu de paume

I guessed tennis since the category gave away the first half of the response. The French looked like something to do with the palm and I knew tennis went way back. For a first box clue I'm willing to take a try if I have a good idea.

Being a wise guy I slightly edited the name of the thread in my post. :)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 pm Being a wise guy I slightly edited the name of the thread in my post. :)
Low blow, Mark.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:35 pm
NHO the bottom two in Ten.

Don't recognize the name John Boehner.

Tenacious is a word meaning persistent or stubborn. Jack Black was in a band called Tenacious D.

Tenable is more commonly seen in its opposite untenable, which means something isn't going to work.

John Boehner was the Republican Speaker of the House from 2011 until he resigned in 2015. It might be easier to remember him if you watched political comedy shows and witnessed several comedians point out that his name is similar to boner. Real mature.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 pm Being a wise guy I slightly edited the name of the thread in my post. :)
Real mature. I chuckled though.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:19 pm
Low blow, Mark.
As the target of the jab, I appreciate the humour and take zero offence. :)

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 pm FIRST & "TEN" $200: Its origins trace to a medieval French game called jeu de paume

I guessed tennis since the category gave away the first half of the response. The French looked like something to do with the palm and I knew tennis went way back. For a first box clue I'm willing to take a try if I have a good idea.

Being a wise guy I slightly edited the name of the thread in my post. :)
You could put my name in the thread title too if you want, but I didn't know that tennis's precursors involved games where people hit the ball with the palm of their hand (and later a glove) before racquets were introduced. I do think the clue was undervalued given its placement in a top box.

BTW, TIL that jeu de paume was a medal event at the 1908 Summer Olympics in London.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide