Friday, April 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC WORKS’ FIRST LINES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“The annual labour of every nation is the fund which originally supplies it with all the necessaries and conveniences of life”

Alan Lin: 21400+3000=24400 (5x = $108,800)
Rachel Snyder: 9000-7000=2000
Kevin McCarthy: 7800+1201=9001

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Wealth of Nations (Rachel – Das Kapital)

Daily Doubles
Alan: 4400-4000
Rachel: 7400-2000
Alan: 13200+3000

Coryats
Alan: 24000
Rachel: 11000
Kevin: 7800

Combined: 42,800

Galapagos Great Escape: snorkel
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice try by Alan in failing to recall Stowe's bad guy and going with "The slavemaster" and "Slavemaster Smith" on the BMS.

Alan and Alex messed with my head when "big red spot" for the area on Jupiter was accepted. They had me going for a second as I had to decide whether to neg or not my "great red spot." My instincts told me I was fine and I counted it while of course later finding easy confirmation when the game was done.

When I had "tenacious" for Kevin's accepted "tenacity" I was certain my better response counted in FIRST & "TEN" $800:
Persistent or stubborn, like good D

I used ballotpedia to find Kevin's election result:
Spoiler
That was awkward and unfortunate when Alex had Alan repeat his, "I Am the Walrus" response."

The FJ! clue was a classic 50/50/90 for me as I thought of Rachel's incorrect response first and the correct response second. It's not as if I've read either thing, so that was not going to help in knowing the first line. Both responses are perfectly fair for the FJ! round, so no help there. I did not know how to properly tip the scale one way or the other, so I went with "nation" already in the wording to go the other and wrong way.
brick

Post by brick »

I got a phone call during the last commercial break and missed the sweepstakes password anyone want to share it with me?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Think they'd take "fen" instead of "bog" for the Wales clue? I know they're not quite the same thing, but how could that be anything but a complete coin flip otherwise?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spotted "Mud Hens" and "WTOL" for Pete's sake, and a contestant still misses it? (OK, maybe my get off of "Mud Hens" was based on my MASH fandom, although, when I heard WTOL and saw the reporter at a baseball diamond, I thought "I wonder if the clue will be about the Mud Hens?") Smart of them to save that category to last to ensure all the clues would be shown, though. I doubt it was intentional, but I appreciated it.

Negged with the Das Capital negbait. Wealth of Nations never got in my mind, and I'll admit that work of literature often escapes my mind. Should fix that.
brick wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:28 pm I got a phone call during the last commercial break and missed the sweepstakes password anyone want to share it with me?
theFJguy is always good enough to put it in their FJ recap.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Blanked on Vienna but had Canberra. I wonder how many people went the other way?

WLT tennis at $200?

NHO the bottom two in Ten.

I mis-pavloved JLove to Jennifer Love Hewitt. Fragrance as a whole seemed YEKIOYD.

Blue Apron was my only miss in Color.

Don't recognize the name John Boehner.

We had clues on bogs and marshes today. Was someone totally motionless except for her heart?

NHO the correct FJ! response that I recall, either.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:35 pm WLT tennis at $200?
Seconded
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:35 pm I mis-pavloved JLove to Jennifer Love Hewitt.
I almost got there too, and I would say that's a very understandable miss. Completely forgivable.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:35 pm We had clues on bogs and marshes today. Was someone totally emotionless except for her heart?
Nit: "totally motionless". Emotionless doesn't make much sense in that context
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:29 pm Think they'd take "fen" instead of "bog" for the Wales clue? I know they're not quite the same thing, but how could that be anything but a complete coin flip otherwise?
I thought "bog snorkeling" was a commonly-enough known thing such that "fen" would not be ruled correct.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:40 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:35 pm We had clues on bogs and marshes today. Was someone totally emotionless except for her heart?
Nit: "totally motionless". Emotionless doesn't make much sense in that context
Typo, not mondegreen.
brick

Post by brick »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:32 pm Spotted "Mud Hens" and "WTOL" for Pete's sake, and a contestant still misses it? (OK, maybe my get off of "Mud Hens" was based on my MASH fandom, although, when I heard WTOL and saw the reporter at a baseball diamond, I thought "I wonder if the clue will be about the Mud Hens?") Smart of them to save that category to last to ensure all the clues would be shown, though. I doubt it was intentional, but I appreciated it.

Negged with the Das Capital negbait. Wealth of Nations never got in my mind, and I'll admit that work of literature often escapes my mind. Should fix that.
brick wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:28 pm I got a phone call during the last commercial break and missed the sweepstakes password anyone want to share it with me?
theFJguy is always good enough to put it in their FJ recap.
Thank you sir. I took the same neg bait, forgetting how much they love Wealth of Nations.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:44 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:29 pm Think they'd take "fen" instead of "bog" for the Wales clue? I know they're not quite the same thing, but how could that be anything but a complete coin flip otherwise?
I thought "bog snorkeling" was a commonly-enough known thing such that "fen" would not be ruled correct.
Ah, OK. Obviously not something I've ever heard of. :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Seconded
"Jeu" (game) that starts with Ten?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:59 pm
Seconded
"Jeu" (game) that starts with Ten?
That is, provided you know that "jeu" is french for "game".
brick

Post by brick »

For the second game in a row there has been a tie for lowest score going into Double J. I know I've read before how they decide who goes first but I can't find it now. Anyone?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Alan and Alex messed with my head when "big red spot" for the area on Jupiter was accepted. They had me going for a second as I had to decide whether to neg or not my "great red spot." My instincts told me I was fine and I counted it while of course later finding easy confirmation when the game was done.
I thought 'Great Red Spot' was more accurate also.
My problem with that clue was It asked for a three word discription (IIRC), when it's likely that the contestent is going to respond with "The __ __ __", as Alan did. I think it's a poorly worded clue.
dhk wrote:Smart of them to save that category to last to ensure all the clues would be shown, though. I doubt it was intentional, but I appreciated it.
I second that. Let's hope the future contestants are finally catching on.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

brick wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:19 pm For the second game in a row there has been a tie for lowest score going into Double J. I know I've read before how they decide who goes first but I can't find it now. Anyone?
Leftmost of the tied podiums (from the camera's perspective) selects first.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I was almost deterred by "Nation" being in the clue itself, but it seemed to fit well enough that I didn't try anything else.

Too bad about the Bonnet DD miss, I'm sure she knew that.

I was very surprised that no one had heard of Blue Apron, especially a computer programmer, but maybe it's only in select regions?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OSXpert wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:22 pm I was very surprised that no one had heard of Blue Apron, especially a computer programmer, but maybe it's only in select regions?
Anyone who has listened to a podcast has likely heard of them, too.

And for the record, the first line of Das Kapital is:

" 'The wealth of those societies in which the capitalist mode of production prevails, presents itself as "an immense accumulation of commodities,' its unit being a single commodity."

So, the first line of WoN has "nation" in it and the first line of DK has "capital(ist)" in it.