Monday, May 1, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 1, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 1, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE SUPREME COURT

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Only 5 of the 17 chief justices previously served as associate justice on The Supreme Court; he was the last

Alan Lin: 7400+7400=14800 (6x = $123,600)
Matt Cohen: 11000-3801=7199
Meghan Treptow: 7400-3600=3800

Correct response:
Spoiler
William Rehnquist (Matt – Warren) (Meghan - ???)

Daily Doubles
Meghan: 3000-2000
Alan: 5800+2000
Meghan: 3600+3000

Coryats
Alan: 7000
Matt: 11000
Meghan: 7600

Combined: 25,600

Galapagos Great Escape: iguana
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Today was trash pick-up day on both my block and while watching J! with things like Reebok, Bill W., horse’s blaze, and O’Reilly’s “Killing” available for the taking.

Ear test of the day: Matt’s “alley-oop” response sounded more like “olly-oop” to me.

DERBY $2000: Meriwether Lewis Clark created the Kentucky Derby to replicate the derby at this “salt”y site in England
Alex gave the correct response of Epsom Downs. If a player had offered, “Epsom” is that a neg or BMS?

When I saw the FJ! category I took time to make sure I had the 8 current members at the ready to go with Scalia, Gorsuch and Garland.

When I saw the clue I wrote the correct name as I was sure I remembered him being on the court prior to becoming Chief Justice. Since I was certain he preceded Roberts that automatically made him the most recent, or "the last” as the clue wants to call it.

For kicks and nothing better to do for the rest of think time I recalled Warren went to Chief Justice from governing California and that he was followed by Warren Burger. Burger’s background was not something I could remember.

Alan could have led if he bet the farm on his KENTUCKY DD or he could have been out of contention for first if he had lost the $2000 on the clue that wanted the First Lady born in the state.

That was Alan’s worst game of his six, but 2/2 on big clues was enough to save the day in a tough game for the players only having a 25,600 combined Coryat. The other players in the day’s pool could not have been happy when they saw Matt’s FJ! clue response as the opportunity was there to oust the champ.

Alan showed more than once last week what kind of game he is capable of putting together, so tomorrow will no doubt have his Coryat above a weak 7000 for a super champ.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 3:57 pm
Ear test of the day: Matt’s “alley-oop” response sounded more like “olly-oop” to me.
I could have sworn that it was more of a Francophile sounding "allez oup"
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

JLJ wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 5:16 pm
Why not? "alley" and "Ally" (as in Ally Sheedy) are the same.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think the biggest secret to doing watercolor is "don't do it if you're left handed, because you'll smudge the crap out of it".

Sneaker Brands was an 0/5. I couldn't think of any shoe brand with an O in it, and while I've heard of them all, I just couldn't pull them.

James Taylor and Bush were my misses in Presidential. I mis-processed "You've Got a Friend" as "You've Got a Friend in Me" and said Randy Newman, and have NHO Bush.

0/5 in Hyphenated, but got all but "meager" in "Me".

That "Rising Sun" book at $200 was very undervalued. Can we poll?

I know the title "Maltese Falcon" but I could tell you literally nothing about it.

Lach Trash: blaze.

No guess on FJ! This seemed ridiculously arcane.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

How do you not at least scribble down a justice's name instead of three question marks?
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I'm not great with supreme court justices (though I can name the ones we have right now) but I did a word association game with "Chief Justice" and "Rehnquist" was the first thing that popped into my head so I stuck with that.

I was rooting for a tie when two of them ended at $7400, but no dice.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Instaget FJ. I was tempted to say that being a lawyer helped, as I wrote after the
Spoiler
Sherman Antitrust Act
clue; but after what the polling showed on that one, I'm sure a lot of the non-J.D. boardies who got Rehnquist will similarly report that they knew it just from basic attention to current events or American history. I knew that Rehnquist being elevated to CJ and Scalia nominated as Associate Justice were kind of a package deal back in '86, although of course both had to be confirmed separately. It's nice on a clue like this when you're working backwards and the very first name you hit on fits the clue.

Congrats to Alan on becoming a superchamp. I'm still wavering on whether he's gold or silver. :) I found myself wondering whether someone like Seth Wilson or Andrew Pau or Buzzy Cohen would have picked up some of today's TS'es like eohippus and Gentleman's Agreement and Angola. OTOH, Alan is a software engineer and he's young so his brain's information absorption and retention should still be robust and he has about half a year to prepare for the TOC. :)

Like Alan, I went the wrong way on a 50-50-90 for Frisian, and you could tell that he came very close to blurting out the Netherlands. That was one of at least two big negs for him, which is partly why his Coryat was lower than his normal.

I had Epsom on the "salty" derby clue so like Mark I'm curious how my response would have been received on the show. Had I been BMS'ed, I never would have been able to complete it with "Downs."

MarkBarrett, please don't poll on the $200 clue about which author has written a series of books whose titles begin with "Killing." :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I dimly remembered that Rehnquist was elevated, and I also figured they wouldn't expect you to remember who was chief justice before that.

These were good boards for me. Of course I ran KENTUCKY and also '40s MOVIE QUOTES.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

President (4), Sneaker (2), Verb (3), Bills (4), Zodiac (3), Hyphen (3)
African (3), 1940's Movie (5), "ME" (2), Horsing (0), Kentucky (5), Derby (4)

Lach Trash: Bill Moyers, killing, Morehead State, Gentleman's Agreement, Epsom

Instaget FJ.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was mildly surprised they accepted "Boy Scouts" on the Pinewood Derby question. "Cub Scouts" would have been more specific, though they are associated with the BSA so it wasn't wrong per se.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 7:45 pm Congrats to Alan on becoming a superchamp. I'm still wavering on whether he's gold or silver.
Definitely a gold. What I find impressive is his depth of knowledge in many areas. He got 97 right as a rookie in LL, with perfect records in a few subjects.
Instaguess FJ. I certainly could not name the other four, and I don't expect them to be a poll option. :lol:
I may have been spoiled as to the outcome of this game, since the Hometown Howdies mentioned he was a 6-time champ. I was very surprised to see a number of locals on this week, including a very rare appearance by someone from my county tomorrow.
Hoping for a third lap
MattCohen
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by MattCohen »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 6:32 pm
JLJ wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 5:16 pm
Why not? "alley" and "Ally" (as in Ally Sheedy) are the same.
Maybe it's my New York accent. I pronounce "alley oop" as "olly oop". Definitely not Franco-anything though.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

ugh, what was with Meghan's bet? Either bet all or nothing, depending on your confidence in the FJ category.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I hear Bill O'Reilly's next book is titled Killing My Career.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

DBear wrote: ugh, what was with Meghan's bet? Either bet all or nothing, depending on your confidence in the FJ category.

Personally, I wouldn't wager either 0 or 7400. I'd ponder between 198--200 on a low confidence category. And even if I had already won $100,000, I simply would not do the suicide wager as Alan did.

I felt the pinewood derby should have required Cub Scouts.
LT: Reebok, Killing, blaze
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

sarisson wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 8:50 pm Instaguess FJ. I certainly could not name the other four, and I don't expect them to be a poll option. :lol:
The other 4 are John Rutledge, Edward Douglass White, Charles Evans Hughes, and Harlan F. Stone. And no, I didn't know any of them off the top of my head. :D Stone was the most recent prior to Rehnquist, and his elevation occurred in 1941. Also, a couple of these justices weren't technically "elevated," at least not directly; Rutledge and Hughes both resigned as Associate Justices and were brought back years later as Chief Justice.
Category 13 wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 9:39 pm Personally, I wouldn't wager either 0 or 7400. I'd ponder between 198--200 on a low confidence category. And even if I had already won $100,000, I simply would not do the suicide wager as Alan did.
Huh? You do realize it was a Prisoner's Dilemma situation for Meghan and Alan, don't you?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MattCohen
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by MattCohen »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 9:42 pm
sarisson wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 8:50 pm Instaguess FJ. I certainly could not name the other four, and I don't expect them to be a poll option. :lol:
The other 4 are John Rutledge, Edward Douglass White, Charles Evans Hughes, and Harlan F. Stone. And no, I didn't know any of them off the top of my head. :D Stone was the most recent prior to Rehnquist, and his elevation occurred in 1941. Also, a couple of these justices weren't technically "elevated," at least not directly; Rutledge and Hughes both resigned as Associate Justices and were brought back years later as Chief Justice.
Category 13 wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 9:39 pm Personally, I wouldn't wager either 0 or 7400. I'd ponder between 198--200 on a low confidence category. And even if I had already won $100,000, I simply would not do the suicide wager as Alan did.
Huh? You do realize it was a Prisoner's Dilemma situation for Meghan and Alan, don't you?
Being in the lead, I figured one of them would bet it all, and get it right. If only one person had been in range, I might have bet 0. And my bet was right. My guess unfortunately was wrong.